Status
Not open for further replies.

SonHouse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2013
Seminole
So I've got a authentic hobo v2 with the stainless center post. I've heard everyone raving about this rda and how much they love it. I just can't seem to get mine to produce the flavor that people are gettin out of it. I've got it up for sale but not getting many bites on it so I'm gonna try to love it.
So here my setup:
I'm using a ranger (50 watt vv box with a 10amp limit) so I want my build to be above .45. I vape at 40 watts. I have 26, 27, 28 and 30 ga kanthal and kgd cotton. What should I build and how can I get the best flavor with this thing?
I don't claim to be an expert on the subject but I'm running dual coils with 28 gauge wrapped around a 2.4mm mandrel at resistances ranging from 0.6-1.0 Ohm on a Sigelei 100 Watter. I'm wicking with Koh Gen Do run at wattages from 25 - 50 Watts depending on my mood though I sometimes drop as low as 10 or 11 Watts. I try to square the top of the coils up with the top of the center block and run the coils horizontally centered on the openings in the side. I'm pretty careful with the cotton to make sure that there are airflow paths under and in back of the coil so that both the top and bottom of the coil have air flow paths while the cotton blocks the paths which are not right around the coil..

The side air flow is wide open and centered on the coils while the top air flow is around 1/3 of the way open at 25 Watts or sometimes closed. I open it up wide for Wattages above about 35 and use my drip caps. Normally at 25 Watts and down, I find I get a bit more heat with a standard drip tip so I generally run with them.

I find the best flavor is at 35-45 Watts with my drip caps on though a friend I let borrow one doesn't care for them because he feels he loses flavor. I also try not to get every ounce of air possible through the RDA, I just take slow steady pulls. This gives me a little more density and flavor.

Anyway, those are my experiences and experiments. I don't claim they're anything stellar, just what I've tried that gives me good results.

HeiSINberg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2013
Groveville, NJ
So do you guys use the positive hole opposite the negative hole you're using or use them directly next to each other. I've been using the 1st one I mentioned

GO PACK GO!
Depends how big the coil is im using, how many wraps long i should say. If its more wraps then i skip that hole and go to the one farthest away.

SonHouse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2013
Seminole
So do you guys use the positive hole opposite the negative hole you're using or use them directly next to each other. I've been using the 1st one I mentioned
My coils are long enough I always go with the furthest away hole on the positive post. One thing that affects it somewhat is the orientation of the air slits in comparison to the build block. This registration does not seem to be consistent across my RDA's so all of them get built a bit differently. Even on a mech though, I'm pretty happy with a .6 Ohm build so the coil isn't small.

jaxgator

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
So I received my Marquis yesterday. Put a build on it and while it is good, it's not as good as my Hobo. Yet.

I've heard many positive comments on it so it's definitely my build. Well, that and the air flow is more restrictive than the Hobo. I'm building both attys to run on mechs so I have to build for the power that I want. It's just going to take some experimentation but, for now, my Hobo is still my go to RDA.

HeiSINberg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2013
Groveville, NJ
So I received my Marquis yesterday. Put a build on it and while it is good, it's not as good as my Hobo. Yet.

I've heard many positive comments on it so it's definitely my build. Well, that and the air flow is more restrictive than the Hobo. I'm building both attys to run on mechs so I have to build for the power that I want. It's just going to take some experimentation but, for now, my Hobo is still my go to RDA.
I would bet the marquis would be great on a regulated mod, as apposed to a mech. Just my opinion of course. Since i got my hobos i threw them all on my box mods, i dont really even touch my mechs as much anymore. I will admit there a thing of beauty but i cant get over the longer battery life thing. To me thats a super plus.

SonHouse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2013
Seminole
Went with 28 ga at .717 horizontal coils. I think I'm getting better flavor than my odin

I've heard great things about the marquis though. Better about the vertex, but just behind it the marquis. Which easier to build on? Marquis or hobo?

GO PACK GO!

So is that an improvement from where you were?

bwhitt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2013
Houston
I really like my hobo. The only build I like on it is a dual 26 Gauge vertical coil build at 0.40 ohms. I have tried lots of other builds, Nickel included and this is the only one that hits my taste buds just right.

I also own the Marquis RDA and it’s by far a better flavor producer to me. Both are relatively easy to build on. You can use coil rods to bold on both devices.

Cob24

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
A place some call paradise
Before this build the only one that got close was the verticals for me too. But this 28 ga horizontal build is blowing it away. But I'm on a regulated device and jacked up the voltage to get what I'm looking for.
Disagree on the ease of build for the hobo though. Hate the "screws"

GO PACK GO!

jaxgator

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
I really like my hobo. The only build I like on it is a dual 26 Gauge vertical coil build at 0.40 ohms. I have tried lots of other builds, Nickel included and this is the only one that hits my taste buds just right.

I also own the Marquis RDA and it’s by far a better flavor producer to me. Both are relatively easy to build on. You can use coil rods to bold on both devices.

What is your build on your Marquis and what are you running it on.

Also, how in the hell does one wick a vertical nickel coil without mangling the coil all to pieces?

HeiSINberg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2013
Groveville, NJ
Before this build the only one that got close was the verticals for me too. But this 28 ga horizontal build is blowing it away. But I'm on a regulated device and jacked up the voltage to get what I'm looking for.
Disagree on the ease of build for the hobo though. Hate the "screws"

GO PACK GO!
Those little grub screws were my initial problem with the hobo, they ...... me off so bad when i first got it. Especially with thicker gauge wire. Its not too bad now, but my 1 hobo still gives me problems to this day no matter what i do, the other 2 dont seem to have this issue.

VenusianSky

Verified Member
May 25, 2014
Pittsburgh
Here is my regular build on the Hobo. 24g at .75 ohm on regulated device. I set the side air hole (single mode) to around where the green lines are marked, so it is about half open. I set the top air holes to nearly completely open. I run the wick to both sides of the deck.
View attachment 401450

Attachments

• IMG_0320.jpg
    IMG_0320.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 312

jaxgator

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Those little grub screws were my initial problem with the hobo, they ...... me off so bad when i first got it. Especially with thicker gauge wire. Its not too bad now, but my 1 hobo still gives me problems to this day no matter what i do, the other 2 dont seem to have this issue.

I've never had a problem with the grub screws on mine and I use 24g.

HeiSINberg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2013
Groveville, NJ
I've never had a problem with the grub screws on mine and I use 24g.
Thats normally the lowest i go, wire wise at least. But my 1 hobo has never worked well with that wire, the grub screw either always strips or the allen key strips. So now i use that one with thinner gauge wire and it works fine. My other 2 never had this problem. I dont know if you remember a while back i complained about this, it was my first hobo.

HeiSINberg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2013
Groveville, NJ
No it was a v2 just not the v2.1 before he started to shave the insulators and all that. It is an earlier serial number so maybe something didnt get worked out? Im about 90% sure the holes werent drilled all that great on the negative posts on mine, cause i remember when i first got it just screwing the grub screw in and out was a chore without wire even being in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread