Status
Not open for further replies.

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
Alice, if there are any seal supply stores in your area that cater to the oil field industry, they could probably hook you up with o-rings that better fit your Hornet. If not, send me a Hornet, I'll take it to my local shop, find the best fitting o-rings for it so the cap fits snug but can still be pulled off without too much effort, then I'll send it back to you with a mess of those o-rings.

Provided there aren't any significant variances from one Hornet to the next, they should solve your dilemma.

They put hardware stores to shame. They got o-rings out the wazoo of varying sizes.

Thanks Tripp. I appreciate and will take you up on it. Wayne and I'm sure others will want to know. As soon as I get violet anodized in I'll send SS to you for fitting. Once the load of o-rings get here I'll see if they are needed and/or right size for the anodized.

Hugs and love, Big Sis

Big Hitter

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
Binghamton, NY
310 vapers has some wicked shipping... From CA late last night to MI just before midnight. Tomorrow I shall feast on Hornet nectar!

Hope you get the right one .... I ordered orange and they sent me red .... and I still haven't ben able to get the top off.
Gonna try some pliers with leather between the jaws today :(

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
Hope you get the right one .... I ordered orange and they sent me red .... and I still haven't ben able to get the top off.
Gonna try some pliers with leather between the jaws today :(

Sorry about wrong color and tight fit. Only thing that helped me was to soak in ice water for a good hour to get rubber o-ring to shrink a bit. Are you going to keep the red? I know someone who wants to get a red one for spouse but probably shouldn't post name as it may be a surprise. PM me if you want to let go of it and I'll tell you who to contact. We also want to know what CS response is. I think the shop may be a very small operation. When I went to site after ordering violet hornet I saw that practically all of their merchandise is out of stock. Not sure what to make of that. I'm pretty sure they had to sink a great deal of money into Hornet minimum purchase numbers and shipping cost from Philippines.

Hugs, Feisty Alice

Last edited:

rudy4653

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
CT
Yippee! My black Hornet was waiting for me in the mailbox when I got home. Can't believe the fast shipping! Ordered late Sunday night, shipped on Monday from CA and arrived in CT on Wednesday! Must have been sent by missle! :)
Took awhile to get the top off. Screwed it in a EGO so I would not damage my REO. I then pulled/turned at the same time with pliers and cloth to protect finish carefully as to not bend the hornet top. I found that turning while pulling made it easier to come off.I wasn't worried that the base would end up being to tight to remove from the ego after I got the top off. Just loosened the base back off with cloth and pliers at the base.
Had to change my wick/coil making method as these are way smaller and less room than the REOmizer. Had to go from reading glasses to binoculars to install! :) Ended up just wrapping double silica with 5 wrap of 30 gauge by hand theaded the posts, lube the orings, slide on the top and entered pure vaping heaven! Hornet/REO combo has got to be the ultimate! can't imagine anything better!! IMG00594.jpg IMG00596.jpg :)

rudy4653

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
CT
Yippee! My black Hornet was waiting for me in the mailbox when I got home. Can't believe the fast shipping! Ordered late Sunday night, shipped on Monday from CA and arrived in CT on Wednesday! Must have been sent by missle! :)
Took awhile to get the top off. Screwed it in a EGO so I would not damage my REO. I then pulled/turned at the same time with pliers and cloth to protect finish carefully as to not bend the hornet top. I found that turning while pulling made it easier to come off.I wasn't worried that the base would end up being to tight to remove from the ego after I got the top off. Just loosened the base back off with cloth and pliers at the base.
Had to change my wick/coil making method as these are way smaller and less room than the REOmizer. Had to go from reading glasses to binoculars to install! :) Ended up just wrapping double silica with 5 wrap of 30 gauge by hand theaded the posts, lube the orings, slide on the top and entered pure vaping heaven! Hornet/REO combo has got to be the ultimate! can't imagine anything better!! View attachment 167778 View attachment 167779 :)

Oops, sorry about the sideways pictures!! Everyone's right ear on their right shoulder right now??? :) IMG00596.jpg IMG00596.jpg

MXBNW

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2010
NW Washingtion
www.e-cigarette-forum.com

Vegastar

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2011
Grand Rapids, MI
Now I got to get a Gold one. :)

I got a Polished Gold Grand with Black Door that need a matching Hornet.

Well, I can't recommend 310 vapers enough. I ordered this bad boy just after midnight Tuesday morning and its here, from Cali to MI on Thursday. Included a bunch of silica and kanthal too, which is nice.

EDIT: Alice, I definitely see your point on the fit being tight, even on this adonized one. Holy heck, gotta take it to the gun show to wrench it off. I may be trying your oring removal tactic next coil change.

Last edited:

MXBNW

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2010
NW Washingtion
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I have been stalking 310 for a while now watching inventory of the Hornet :) I may pull the plug and order this weekend.

Well, I can't recommend 310 vapers enough. I ordered this bad boy just after midnight Tuesday morning and its here, from Cali to MI on Thursday. Included a bunch of silica and kanthal too, which is nice.

EDIT: Alice, I definitely see your point on the fit being tight, even on this adonized one. Holy heck, gotta take it to the gun show to wrench it off. I may be trying your oring removal tactic next coil change.

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Hitter

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
Binghamton, NY
Sorry about wrong color and tight fit. Only thing that helped me was to soak in ice water for a good hour to get rubber o-ring to shrink a bit. Are you going to keep the red? I know someone who wants to get a red one for spouse but probably shouldn't post name as it may be a surprise. PM me if you want to let go of it and I'll tell you who to contact. We also want to know what CS response is. I think the shop may be a very small operation. When I went to site after ordering violet hornet I saw that practically all of their merchandise is out of stock. Not sure what to make of that. I'm pretty sure they had to sink a great deal of money into Hornet minimum purchase numbers and shipping cost from Philippines.

Hugs, Feisty Alice

Yes I'm going to keep it. Not even going to contact them, there customer service is not that great.
I've ordered before and had a different issue.

The reason most items are out of stock is they specialize in genesis devices which are almost impossible to get.
The 5 or 6 APVs they carry sell out in minutes then take weeks or months to come around again.

jeenam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2011
nyc
Just ordered a second hornet from indyvaporshop.com yesterday. They are definitely made a bit better than the reomizer. Also, since they are all SS I'm not concerned about any brass parts.

At first the tight draw took some getting used to, but now I prefer it over the airier draw of the reomizer.

The hornet rocks.

Big Hitter

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
Binghamton, NY
Well a brand new RED one is going in the classifieds as soon as I get a chance.
I don't need a RBA small enough for a 18490 that bad .... what a stupid design :(

Only thing I can think of is people that are loving them are people that have never use a Mark Bugs Chalice.
Just ordered a second Chalice and I'll stick with my VV and 18650 REOs I guess.

Glad people are happy with them but I'm not impressed. I almost decided to sell just by looking at it but figured I at least had to coil it up. That was all it took.

pmoraldo

REO Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gilbert, Arizona
Well a brand new RED one is going in the classifieds as soon as I get a chance.
I don't need a RBA small enough for a 18490 that bad .... what a stupid design :(

Only thing I can think of is people that are loving them are people that have never use a Mark Bugs Chalice.
Just ordered a second Chalice and I'll stick with my VV and 18650 REOs I guess.

Glad people are happy with them but I'm not impressed. I almost decided to sell just by looking at it but figured I at least had to coil it up. That was all it took.

Sorry your not happy with yours I'm loving mine because it fits the smaller Reos mainly but prefer my ERA'S on my big boys:D

Sent while Hyper Vapin a Trippy Tipped Reo

okcodemonkey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2012
Oklahoma
www.okcodemonkey.com
Hey guys! I've got a hornet on a reo 18490 and it's my only RBA so of course I love it! However, I'm considering drilling the air hole to loosen the draw a little. what do you guys think? Anyone have a good link to a tutorial? I'm usually good at finding stuff but can't seem to find one.

I have heard of people using small files instead of drilling as they could take small increments in enlarging the hole. This isnprobably what I would do. I haven't seen any yutorials though.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Gioajack

Resting In Peace
Jul 20, 2012
Conifer, Colorado
Use either a 3/32 or 1/16 drill bit. Use a cobalt bit since it's very tough steel. The 3/32 size bits are very hard to find... the 1/16 give an airy draw but most people have reported that they got use to it very quickly and now prefer it.

If you have a Hobby Lobby near you they sell a pack of 4 files, (2 rat tails in it), that works well for enlarging the hole. Takes a few minutes but offers the benefit of only opening the hole enough to achieve a custom draw. The files are usually in a locked display case back in the decorative bead section.

I used both methods on my ERA's... both work well.

Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread