How long did it take you to stop smoking?

How long did it take you until you stopped smoking?

• I quit smoking before I started to vape

• I quit smoking before I started to vape and I use smokeless tobacco

• I quit smoking the day my PV arrived

• I quit smoking the day my PV arrived and I use smokeless tobacco

• I quit smoking within the first week

• I quit smoking within the first week and I use smokeless tobacco

• I quit smoking within the first month

• I quit smoking within the first month and I use smokeless tobacco

• I quit smoking within the first three months

• I quit smoking within the first three months and I use smokeless tobacco

• I quit smoking within six months

• I quit smoking within six months and I use smokeless tobacco

• I quit smoking within a year

• I quit smoking within a year and I use smokeless tobacco

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexTM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Cologne, Germany
www.dampfzeichen.de
Each time the subject comes up, many people chime in with stories about how they had their last analog the day their PV arrived. Which is great, of course, but puts a bit of pressure on the Newbies. Because obviously, that is not the case for everybody.

So here's a poll. It's obviously just for those who did manage to stop smoking; there is only so much you can cram into one poll ;)

Let me also use this opportunity to shamelessly promote another poll I did a while ago, on a related question: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/polls/60216-vaping-all-you-need.html; it goes into more detail for those who still use tobacco products (no matter which) and asks about cravings for them for those who don't use them.

Col. Gaunt

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2009
Chicago, IL
I smoked analogs and vaped at the same time. As time passed I started smoking analogs less and less because I did not like the taste as much as I did the tastes of the e-liquids that I was trying.

Then it came to a point where I would light up an analog and only be able to smoke a quarter of it before I would put it out because I could not stand the taste any more.

At that point I was done with analogs and I have been analog free for over 6 months!

Leita

ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Texas Coast
I was done with analogs after a few days not because I was trying to quit, but because I liked the taste better. So, just for fun, I put my analogs on top of the fridge to make it easier to vape than walk in the kitchen (yeah, I'm lazy). I went through a few days of agitation but it passed and I never looked back.

Nine months later and I never get a craving for an analog. I guess it's safe to say my 30+ year old cigarette habit is broken.

My three best friends also smoked and I encouraged them to try. One of them quit altogether like I did, one now smokes a few analogs a day (way less than half a pack, down from two packs/day) and one didn't like vaping at all.

Everyone's mileage not only may vary, it most certainly will. :)

Yes, I'm one of those people that say, "I quit smoking the day I picked up a PV", but it's only partially correct. There's a little more to it than that.

Just FYI, I chose option # 2...
"I quit smoking before I started to vape and I use smokeless tobacco"

But to be more accurate, it would be more like this...

I started the quit smoking process before I started to vape and I used smokeless tobacco products, then back to smoking, then went to NRT's, then back to smoking, then went back to smokeless tobacco. Towards the end of it all I was sneaking smokes AND was using smokeless tobacco products at work (probably 90% smokeless / 10% smoking)... THEN I quit doing BOTH by switching to a PV... Well, that's not entirely true... While being a PV newbie I made a poor selection that didn't fully satisfy me, so I smoked a few packs of cigarettes while searching for a better PV and waiting for it to arrive... THEN I actually quit smoking by switching to a PV... Well, sort of... I made a poor e-liquid selection since I wasn't understanding the different nicotine levels (that's a whole new course of its own, no kidding), so I smoked a few more packs of cigarettes while searching for a better e-liquid and waiting for it to arrive... THEN I REALLY REALLY DID ACTUALLY QUIT SMOKING BY SWITCHING TO A PV INSTANTLY! No kidding. No doubts. No more practicing. No more "well, sort of" bull crap... Q-U-I-T-!... And I have no desire to smoke or use smokeless tobacco anymore. Word Up. THE END.
[wheeew, that was a mouthful]

See? It was really a "work-in-progress" transition for me from the very beginning, but the final end result is that I no longer smoke. And, my experience is a double bonus since I no longer use smokeless tobacco either. I killed 2 birds with 1 stone... eh? - So when I say, "I quit smoking by switching to a PV.", I'm only generally speaking in terms of a long-term improvement. It's much shorter than the paragraph above.

Now all I do, and all I want to do, is VAPE... 17 hours a day, 7 days a week. I don't use any nicotine while I sleep, but watch out when I'm done sleeping... chooo chooo... Welcome to Fog Central inside my 25 square feet of personal space.

And do you know what I think is still so very cool about vaping? It's when the morning sunshine is streaming into the window and the blinds are slightly open. I find myself purposely blowing my vapor into the path of the sunlight and just watch it do a slow flow away. As the sunshine enhances it's visibility you can see it spreads out and slowly drifts away with waves much like smoke, but it hugs the floor instead of the ceiling. Within minutes it completely vanishes with no lingering odor, no tar residue, no coughing, no heavy breathing... It's just GONE.. just like my smoking addiction is.

Mickirette

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2010
Indiana
I bought a pv so I could fake smoke in my house and car without all the stains and I didn't want to bother my (ugg) quit smoking husband. My little gismo arrived and I started playing with it and realised it had been hours since I had been out for a cig. so I thought hey, I might be on to something, I vaped and vaped and vaped my 24mg nic juice, even orderded 36mg for the hard times. I kept telling myself how great I was doing because after all the pills, patches, gums and quit smoking classes that hadn't kept me away from my beloved cigarettes, I replaced them with this stupid little gadget that did not look, feel or taste like a cigarette. Beats me. During rough times I would come to this forum and read and vape like a mad woman, it has been 3 months and a couple of days and I am much calmer now I still want my pv in hand or close by me.

rickyman

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2009
Michigan
My first kit didn't work well enough for me to take the place of cigs, so I tried something else. My second kit did the trick, but I hadn't bought the accesories I would need to take it with me for a full day at work, so I continued to smoke at work and only vaped at home. When my accesories arrived... I was done with cigs.

I believe I was able to quit cigs so easily because I had been wanting to for so long. When I finally found a way to do so without the agony of withdrawal, I took off like a race horse. I did need to keep my nic level high for a while, though. I've since reduced it quite a bit and feel just fine.

Neon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2009
Earth
When my 510 kit arived I went into my smoking room (now a spare bedroom) and was having a smoke while I was inspecting my new toy. As I was trying to get this vaping thing , I looked over at my cigarette and it had burnt out with a full sized ash in the tray, I have not smoked an analog since!!!!!!!!!!!!

13 years of smoking vanished!!!

dtm

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2010
Mitten State
My girlfriend hated the smell of cigarettes and the fact I smoked. After reading a little about e-cigs I thought, what the heck - I'll give it a try. I must say that I loved smoking and had little to no desire to actually quit. Yes, I tried patches, inhalers, gum... the whole nine yards and nothing ever worked for me when I attempted to quit in the past.

Essentially I bought a joye 510 kit to appease my girl, and figured it would do nothing for me. Yes. I had that idea in my head before it arrived - that this vaping device would be a fantastic electronic novelty and nothing else. The only bonus was that I would be able to puff indoors instead of the porch.

Charged the batteries, put it together despite the fact my first puff was nasty priming fluid LOL, much to my suprise I haven't picked up another cigarette since. When I felt the need to smoke, I puffed on the PV. It felt weird at first because it is heavier and more pen-like than a cigarette, but I haven't looked back.

I've stored away the analog cigarettes I had left, so if I am ever tempted to have a "real" analog cigarette in the future, they are there. Haven't had one since last fall now. Don't expect to go back to them either.

This PV has changed my life. I can breathe easier, no longer wake up coughing and don't have to listen to complaints about my smoking. I couldn't be happier about it... especially since I didn't want to give 'em up to begin with!

angelique510

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I would have checked "I don't intend to quite smoking. I vape when I can't have an anlog."

I am sure I could quit with e-cigs if I wanted to. I don't panic when I am running low on cigarettes, or run out to the store at 2am like I used to. With my e-cig, I can go without smoking all day if I have to. I enjoy smoking. Because of the rising price of cigarettes and not being allowed to smoke most places, I vape a lot. With e-cigs, I have cut down my analog use by about 75%.

Like Marilyn Monroe said about drinking in Some Like it Hot "I can quit anytime I want to. I just don't want to."

~A

AlexTM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Cologne, Germany
www.dampfzeichen.de
Angelique, I did not want to say anything about those who did not stop smoking, and I am one of those people who say "Well, as long as it's less, or doesn't get more - Great!". I started this poll simply because whenever anybody asks about how long it did take people to quit analogs, the thread is full of people who say "Day One!" But when you read the forum, it becomes very clear that this is not the case for everybody, even those who eventually did stop. Very bad case of reporting bias.

I thought a poll might make that less of a problem, and give a more realistic picture.

Led Hendriani

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2009
Northern California
I quit the first day I received my 510.

I did try another eCig that a guy was trying to sell to me a few months prior, but it was crap and I did not know how to correctly hit it either. I told myself there was no way in hell that this stuff would ever get me off analogs(a term I did not say then though!)

Then a guy was giving away a set on CL because his wife found out she was pregnant. I answered very quickly and a day and a half later, when he replied, he said he had already given it away but I could get a free trial from the same place just like they did. IT WAS A SCAM. 12 day trial then $99 would be charged to my CC plus $54 or $58 per month to be in the club and receive supposedly enough carts for a month!!!!! (But it did get me searching the internet for more info and which PV was the best and it landed me on this site)...

I am forever Grateful for the polls on this site since it lead me to the 510 and I have been smoke free ever since!!!!!:D

VAPE ON!!!:D

Seabrook

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Oceanside, CA
When my starter kit arrived, i had 2 packs left out of my last carton of analogs. However, i goofed and didn't order eLiquid w/my kit. Since the ad said 5 prefilled carts came w/the pack, i thought that would be sufficient to see if vaping would really work. Once I got through the primer i didn't clean off well enough, i knew this was going to work. I stretched those two packs out until my liquid came three days later. But the thing is, i had already made up my mind -- before i bought my starter pack -- that i was going to quit no matter what. These e-cigs have been quite a miracle worker for me. They absolutely work. I've been smoke-free now for 5 days.

If i had it to do over again, though, i would have stretched it out more and tapered off a little more slowly to reduce my detox symptom of skin itchiness.

Rambosmurf

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2010
Hudson Valley, NY
Quite end of 1st week. Cut down each day. 4th day none. 5th day 1/2 analog (yuk). 6th day same. 7th day done. Only because the analogs tasted terrible. I had no intention on quitting when I got my e-cig. Only cutting down, but, it all worked out so I quit way before I expected it to. My wife it took 3 weeks to quit the anaologs but she's done now also.
Everybody's different.
RS

GlindaW

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2009
South Florida
I think this is a good poll because not everyone has instant success and I hate to see people get discouraged if they are not able to give up cigarettes right away. For me it was about finding the right devices and juice. When I first started I purchased a 901. I was able to cut down to about a half a pack a day. Then I got a higher voltage device and that was the ticket for me. Still…I smoked about five a day for a while... I didn't NEED regular cigarettes anymore, but for some reason I was still holding on to the old habit. I took me five months to finally realize I wasn't enjoying cigarettes at all anymore. My last cigarette was on Thanksgiving morning. Over four months now…I'm still amazed!

czarmoney

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
Downriver, MI
I quite within the first three months, with a caveat. I still have the occasional smoke (I live with a life long smoker, caving occasionally happens). It immediately cut down my smoking within the first week, and then it just dwindled to the occasional/special occasion smoke now. (For instance, I bought a pack of Djarum blacks to celebrate finishing my first term of law school with As)

juice junkie

Apr 17, 2010
wausau wi
I am one of the "quit when i got my 510 kit" people, but I think whatever gets ya thru the day.I had planned to wean myself over the course of 2 weeks but after i tried it i said to hell with the ana's and haven't looked back.My wife's kit should be here today along with more juice for me and i am stalking the mailman right now...I wont push her to "quit now", she has to take whatever path she needs to take.I hope it goes as easy for her as it has been for me but who knows?What i do know is that after 25 yrs of heavy smoking i feel sooooo much better now its amazing and its only been a week(quit april 15@ 945 am)Anyway...Cant wait for my whiskey flavor juice to get here.....:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread