How many have snuck in the occasional cigarette while vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
Good to read all these responses. Best thing is no one is judging anyone else. When I began vaping the real struggle was the first cigarette of the morning with that coffee. The rest of the day I could cruise. Maybe it’s because I lit up after combat action, and have a TBI that I’ve stillsnuck in a cancer stick.

I don’t know if anyone is familiar with Roswell Park Hospital, it’s a leading cancer research facility. Myfriends father was an Oncologist and was the chief of medical staff there. When he took over one of the first things he did was direct that the smoking areas on each floor be re-opened. If you were in those wards you were going to die. He felt that if they are dying, what’s the point of making them miserable. He told one of the other directors the time to get these people to stop smoking was many years ago.

Roswell Park did a scientific study on e-cigarettes

Study: Smokers Who Switch to E-Cigarettes Exposed to Same Levels of Nicotine, Lower Carcinogen Levels
I agree that it is a nice forum. Very adult-like even with differing of opinions. I hear you about the morning cig. I woke up and before anything had one in my mouth. I was so bad that I even had one in my mouth if I got up during then night. That first-morning cig set the tone of the day for me. With vaping I did not dual use -- I just stopped. If I were to have that one cig in the morning, I would have been derailed for the whole day.

Your friends Dad sounds like a wonderful man and a very compassionate doctor. My grandmother lived to 100 and smoked Pall Malls like a chimney. When I moved away cigarettes were much cheaper than in NY so I used to send her 2 cartons each week. My friends thought it was just horrible that I did that. She was 92 then and not ill from smoking. If she wanted to smoke she was going to do it anyhow so I bought them for her. When she had a heart attack at 99 and was hospitalized the first thing she asked me when I arrived was for a cig. And I knew she would so I had a pack of pall malls for her. I knew she was going to pass soon and be hooked up to stuff. The nurses were not overjoyed but they did not fight me when I bundled her up and took her outside for what ended up being her last cig. Why make people unduly suffer.

When I have time I will look up that study,

jwbnyc

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2014
Had my first ecig in the Spring of 2010.

Mostly smoked with some vaping until the Spring of 2012.

All vaping all the time since then.

Starting out that way has given me that perspective; empathy and strong support for those of us who smoke and vape.

I’m not going back there, but do know where you’re coming from.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Believe me I understand the appeal. I will know I have FOREVER quit smoking after I'm dead. It's something that can really get its hooks in you and sadly, I am one of those folks.

By now fear is a big (but not the only) motivator. When I quit this last time, I had a few catastrophic falls of the wagon. I did not feel great the next day.

Plus, I have that "Is this the cigarette that will kill me, this last one?" mentality and it usually works unless it's STRESS smoking, when I usually think "I HOPE this is the one that kills me."

Each and every cigarette that you don't smoke is a WIN. Count it as such. And, I did not quit my first vaping encounter (well I did, but then got really stressed out by starting a very demanding job.)

I don't think I could have done it this time around without a fairly stress free environment. Best of luck to you!

Anna

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Honestly, now that I CAN smell, I don't know how I got hired ANYWHERE ever. LOL.
I had given up all hope of ever quitting completely. I was just hoping to be able to vape before job interviews. I felt that smelling like cigarettes was keeping me from getting hired.

Lo and behold, miracle of miracles, I haven't had that next cigarette for over 7 years now! After 38 years of smoking 2 PAD!
I'm a bit scared of cigarettes to be quite honest... It's so easy to go from one or two to more.
Exactly! I put off that next cigarette as long as I can, hopefully forever.

What's funny is that the only thing I miss from cigarettes is the EASE, the simplicity. But, I have only missed that when I was having trouble with vaping. As long as I have stuff that works, I won't smoke (or even want to smoke).

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
Plus, I have that "Is this the cigarette that will kill me, this last one?" mentality and it usually works unless it's STRESS smoking, when I usually think "I HOPE this is the one that kills me."

That's what I think when I am eating bacon - especially good bacon (Not that crap canadians call bacon, that's just a slice of ham. Silly Canadians)! Can you imagine that - dying while eating bacon? It would be a most natural transition! Every time you eat good bacon, you already hear the angels singing so... I was at a church breakfast and this "healthy" girl said "I don't want bacon, I want fruit. Bacons not healthy." Then she made that bacon ignorant frowny face. Not healthy? It the ultimate food that lets you meet Jesus faster -its not healthy? Silly girl. MMMMmmmm bacon.

57chilicat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2011
McKinney, TX
I must be honest! I got rid of my banner because about two months ago when my son and daughter in law visited I had a cig or two.
This week I have totally fallen off the wagon
They are moving tomorrow to Minnesota and I have been helping them pack and have had more than a few. When the moving van leaves tomorrow at 9:00 a.m. I will be back to vaping 100% again. They are dual users and have vowed to just vape and I have given them both two mods, tanks, coils and juice.
I am super sad to see them and my grands leave but at least I will not have another cig :)
I feel bad about falling of the wagon but I feel good about the four years that I didn't smoke. :wub:

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
I love her...but I had to X her silly comment. She asked for it....doesn't like the smell of bacon....:facepalm:
My grandmother used to cook bacon on Saturday mornings specifically to get everyone up and moving so we would do our chores. That way no one lounged around in bed all day.

It worked.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
My grandmother used to cook bacon on Saturday mornings specifically to get everyone up and moving so we would do our chores. That way no one lounged around in bed all day.

It worked.
I wonder if anyone has perfected the bacon air freshener yet....:party:

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
I love her...but I had to X her silly comment. She asked for it....doesn't like the smell of bacon....:facepalm:

I hear ya. Our Anna is normally so sensible. I mean, it would be one thing if she said she accidently killed a guy once by accident with a margarita blender and now doesn't like margaritas or something like that, that's understandable but just not liking bacon? That's a big row to hoe.

• Love
Reactions: stols001

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
I read the first and last page of this thread. It may have been mentioned but I’m sure that the majority of people here (myself included ((definitely)), don’t suffer the same kind of stress that you’ve spoke of.

Combat in Iraq? Rocket attack? :eek:

I’m sure those things wreak havoc on your state of mind

We don’t compare. Great if you can keep up the vaping but if not 100%, try not to lose any sleep ;)

Last edited:

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
Going on 8 years now same for the Mrs we quit together almost 8 years back after a 2 pk a day habit for many many years we are not young.
Yes its been that long , started out with those glow on the end cig look a likes and moved onto other types but do not chase the latest things out there for we are happy and have lifetime supply of everything needed to continue our ways of vaping.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Since the day I quit smoking I haven't picked up an unlit or taken a single drag from a cigarette.

That isn't because I didn't/don't want to, rather it is because I know what would happen if I did, even now.

Those that can smoke one every now & then are lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread