I love my new Screwdriver....

Status
Not open for further replies.

dumwaldo

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2009
New York
what exactly does the protected circuit board in the JS do waldo?
A PCB prevents the battery from discharging past a certain point. The JS will not allow the battery to discharge past approximately 3.3v. The reason for this is that lithium batteries that discharge past a certain point will begin to generate a gas inside the battery. Once that gas is generated, the battery is unstable to be recharged and can result in an exploding battery.

If you were to look up the manufacturer specifications of the batteries used in the Screwdriver you will discover that the manufacturer requires the use of a PCB in products using these unprotected batteries.

DW

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
dumwaldo...what you're saying doesn;t make sense at all. The SD is tried and tested. How do you know how the prodigy will perform? When I told Cash that it was bad idea to sell a 6 volt mod...because the juices would taste like crap...he argued with me that it works great...and a couple weeks later he changes it to 4.5-5volt device. I mean he was trying to convince everyone that a 6volt mod using the 801 atty and dripping was the way to go. Who drips with an 801?....it defeats the purpose of the 801. Second it is torture to drip with 801s....since the atty is nowhere to be seen. Same with the GG....I guarantee most people will be very unhappy with the taste. Now the stick seems like a well thought out device....and has improvements over the SD...with the LED and and built in passthrough.

And as far as ergonomics....the prodigy and the GG are a disaster. The stick looks like it will fit the hand well. As far as the SD being a flashlight mod...it doesn;t matter since everyone who has one likes it....it is tried and tested....the other devices....it remains to be seen if they will work well. Already people are complaining of leaking problems with the stick.

tdstrike

ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2009
base of the Wasatch, Utah
thanks, but after I hacked up my flashlights, and cobbled together my pv, I'd take the time to measure voltage when performance trailed off and I never got a reading lower than 3.5, it's really pretty obvious after a couple days of use to be able to tell when it's time to change the battery-you get no mo vape.

dumwaldo

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2009
New York
thanks, but after I hacked up my flashlights, and cobbled together my pv, I'd take the time to measure voltage when performance trailed off and I never got a reading lower than 3.5, it's really pretty obvious after a couple days of use to be able to tell when it's time to change the battery-you get no mo vape.
Then I guess that is my bad. I read all these posts saying how the Screwdriver was so consistent so I guess I was wrong to believe that. See with my Janty Stick I have no warning when the battery is about to die because at 3.4v it is still delivering consistent hits like it does at 4.2v.

I should have not assumed that the Screwdriver actually delivered the consistent performance that people were claiming. Well maybe it is consistent just not as consistent as an engineered device like the Janty Stick that was designed specifically for the purpose of vaping.

DW

dumwaldo

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2009
New York
dumwaldo...what you're saying doesn;t make sense at all. The SD is tried and tested. How do you know how the prodigy will perform? When I told Cash that it was bad idea to sell a 6 volt mod...because the juices would taste like crap...he argued with me that it works great...and a couple weeks later he changes it to 4.5-5volt device. I mean he was trying to convince everyone that a 6volt mod using the 801 atty and dripping was the way to go. Who drips with an 801?....it defeats the purpose of the 801. Second it is torture to drip with 801s....since the atty is nowhere to be seen. Same with the GG....I guarantee most people will be very unhappy with the taste. Now the stick seems like a well thought out device....and has improvements over the SD...with the LED and and built in passthrough.

And as far as ergonomics....the prodigy and the GG are a disaster. The stick looks like it will fit the hand well. As far as the SD being a flashlight mod...it doesn;t matter since everyone who has one likes it....it is tried and tested....the other devices....it remains to be seen if they will work well. Already people are complaining of leaking problems with the stick.
Have you not heard? the Prodigy IS the next big thing. Even the biggest screwdriver fanboy on the forum is anxious to get his hands on one...
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/puresmoker/21023-another-update-requested.html

Sorry to say, but unsafe hacked together homebrews are a thing of the past and we are moving to professional quality products these days.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

DW

yvilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2008
Rochester, NY

TDM

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
Also dont forget the ruggedness of the SD, Prodigy, and GG!! If you remember the thread

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/jantyusa/19475-dont-drop-your-stick.html

You drop a JS and it has a tendency of popping open!! I had my SD ran over by several semi trucks in the course of a night laying in a parking lot!! Use a buffer to get the scratches out and change the atty and good as new!

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
DW...how can you say the SD is unsafe? It is the only product out there that is tried and tested. Everyone who has one likes it. The prodigy might be unsafe since the fact is the atos and the eliquids are all desigened to work at at around 3.7volts. I am not saying that the prodigy won;t be an excellent device...but that remains to be seen. Believe me Cash wised up real quick and brought the voltage down...it was going to be a disaster for him to offer a 6v device. We'll see if people will like the 5v device. I have a feeling it will be good. The only problem is that it is way too big...when he makes the miniprodigy...I'll definitely consider it.

Anyway I am glad that there is competition for Trog now...maybe he'll make a SD v.2 now. Ludo mentioned that they might offer a device like the SD for around $50...this might get interesting.

dumwaldo

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2009
New York
My Janty stick lasts around 6 hours per battery. You don't really expect me to believe your Screwdriver goes for 18 hours on a single battery? :rolleyes:

Your mistake is to think it is a matter of simple math. You think because one has a 360 mAh battery and the other has a 1000 mAh battery that it has three times the battery life. But that is wrong because they do not consume power at the same rate.

This is the part about something being engineered and specifically designed as a PV that I think escaping you.

See the screwdriver is just a box with a battery and uses power very inefficiently. It comes on strong and then weans off as the charge level on the battery depletes. These are the characteristics of an unregulated power supply that is pretty wastefull with the power.

The Janty Stick delivers such a consistent experience because it has this fancy new fangled thing inside called a circuit board. The power from the battery is routed into the circuit board before it goes anywhere and that circuit board carefully regulats and controls the flow of power. That is why the last hit on a stick is just as strong as I hit from the middle of the batteries life and that hit is as strong as the first hit.

I would also like to point out that I can actually use the entire life of my batteries, which does not hold true for the screwdriver. Since the screwdriver is lacking any PCB you need to stop using it before the battery is completely dead. I will pick an arbitrary number of 80% of your battery can be safely used. Now your 1000 mAh battery is effectively only an 800 mAh battery.

On the subject of what needs to be carried I noticed in the package with my Janty Stick was a nice, custom made pouch with belt clip. It makes it very convenient to carry my JS, with an extra battery and an extra atomizer. Again we fall inot that whole designed specifically to be a PV aspect of things. Part of the design included the insight into how people would carry it.

On the flip side of things, one of the guys in the local vapers club has a screwdriver with a nice case. It is a piece of pipe insulation wrapped in tape. He needs this kind of encasement for his screwdriver to prevent the button from being pressed inadvertantly.

Once again, something that was actually thought out in the JS but probably never considered in the SD. Accidentally button pushes on a JS will not activate the atomizer for any longer than 11 or 12 seconds. Accidental button pushes on the SD will last as long as the button is pushed.

There is zero concern for the uses safety in the screwdriver's design.

I do not think the Janty Stick is perfect. It has a lot of room for improvement. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would rate the JS around 6 or 7 but I still think it is a better designed product that the screwdriver, which was not thought designed at all. What the screwdriver was designed to be is a flashlight.

If you want an example of what the screwdriver should have been then look to cisco's romesian flashlight mod. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modders-forum/17936-first-screwdriver-mod.html

Aside from the elegant LED that Cisco included his version has proper ergonomic placement of the button as well as a power switch so the device can be turned off and the user does not need to have concern over accidental button pushes.

You attempted to 'poke fun' at the Janty Stick before and that is Ironic. It is Ironic because really what is the Screwdriver but a box mod that happens to use an odd shaped box. The JS is much more intricate than the typical box mod.

DW

BTW
please understand that this is just an internet discussion about some products. I am in no way trying to tear you down or insult you as a person. If you find me to be over the line in any way I assure you nothing I say is a personal attack on you. I have seen posts of yours and you strike me as a nice person.

lachesis

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2009
NJ, USA
Well, DW - your points are well noted, I do believe the simple layout of SD is a strong point. Only possible point that I could see it going bad might be the switch after few years of use - maybe loose spring or what not - but such could be easily replaced by compatible parts from Radio Shack or what not.

All the bells and whistles are nice on JS... such as built in usb ports and all - but since JS is such a new product, I'm not sure of longevity of the device yet with all those bells and whistles. I've seen circuits going bad in may occasions for apparently no reason - and a mod like SD is basically as simple as one can get w/o making one's own. Well, time will tell, I guess.

dumwaldo

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2009
New York
DW...how can you say the SD is unsafe? It is the only product out there that is tried and tested. Everyone who has one likes it. The prodigy might be unsafe since the fact is the atos and the eliquids are all desigened to work at at around 3.7volts. I am not saying that the prodigy won;t be an excellent device...but that remains to be seen. Believe me Cash wised up real quick and brought the voltage down...it was going to be a disaster for him to offer a 6v device. We'll see if people will like the 5v device. I have a feeling it will be good. The only problem is that it is way too big...when he makes the miniprodigy...I'll definitely consider it.

Anyway I am glad that there is competition for Trog now...maybe he'll make a SD v.2 now. Ludo mentioned that they might offer a device like the SD for around $50...this might get interesting.
You are correct and anything I say about the Prodigy is an assumption and I am old enough to have seen the odd couple and know that assumptions make an ... out of you and me.

Just go ahead and disregard any comments regarding the prodigy. I should not comment till an actual product is in customers hands and I have tried it personally.

DW

dumwaldo

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2009
New York
Well, DW - your points are well noted, I do believe the simple layout of SD is a strong point. Only possible point that I could see it going bad might be the switch after few years of use - maybe loose spring or what not - but such could be easily replaced by compatible parts from Radio Shack or what not.

All the bells and whistles are nice on JS... such as built in usb ports and all - but since JS is such a new product, I'm not sure of longevity of the device yet with all those bells and whistles. I've seen circuits going bad in may occasions for apparently no reason - and a mod like SD is basically as simple as one can get w/o making one's own. Well, time will tell, I guess.
I see comments like this all the time and it always leaves me confused.

It just does not make sense to me to tout the screwdriver as good for those that can't build stuff themselves but at the same time say the button is not a large concern because it can easily be replaced at radio shack.

I thought the point in paying someone over $160 was because you did not have the skills to replace the button in a flashlight otherwise you could just build it yourself for like $30?

DW

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
............ the Smoke Everywhere slinging his usual mud about the Screwdriver and it's cost when he earned his name (dum-waldo) by paying $150 for the SE Gold. Just too funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumwaldo
Well the SE GOLD pulled me back from the edge and saved me from 'analogs'. I know a lot of people think $150 is a rip off price but the salvation it supplied me was worth it ten fold.......

I am in the process of of looking for an alternative to the SE GOLD but the more I look the more I believe my SE GOLD is on par with or better than any other e-ciggarette option available.......DW

Last edited by a moderator:

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
Look dum waldo - we all know you've had words with trog over the SD.

You sabatoge every SD thread with your warped perceptions.

Anyone responding to you just fuels your need to be even more aggravating and annoying.

Look what you've done to this thread for pete's sake!

I don't know what your real problem is, but I'll bet it's hard to pronounce!

yvilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2008
Rochester, NY
Your mistake is to think it is a matter of simple math. You think because one has a 360 mAh battery and the other has a 1000 mAh battery that it has three times the battery life. But that is wrong because they do not consume power at the same rate.

This is the part about something being engineered and specifically designed as a PV that I think escaping you.

See the screwdriver is just a box with a battery and uses power very inefficiently. It comes on strong and then weans off as the charge level on the battery depletes. These are the characteristics of an unregulated power supply that is pretty wastefull with the power.

Nope. No mistake, no simple math being done here.

I'm familiar with the JS batteries. I have them with my Kissbox.

I'm familiar with the SD batteries. Been using them for months now.

I know the difference.

And the SD does not use power inefficiently or wastefully. It vapes perfectly consistently, until it doesn't, with maybe a couple of puffs warning.

What escapes you is that the SD is in fact "engineered and specifically designed as a PV". The fact that it's body happens to be cut from the Romisen, to achieve a really beautifully shaped and rounded form, far surpassing some straight and ugly tube or pipe shaped devices we've seen, does not detract from that one iota. :p

Edit: I forgot the bit about the switch - that's a red herring too. It does not go off accidentally as it requires a very firm push. I can carry it button down or in my pocket with no worries whatsoever. I can stand it up on my desk as well if I wanted to.

Final edit: Of course I saw cisco's mod, when it was first posted. It's very nice. However, the problem with his button placement is that it requires the SD neck to be quite a bit longer, making for a larger unit overall. I prefer the size, and the ergonomics, of the real SD.

Last edited:

dumwaldo

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2009
New York
Look dum waldo - we all know you've had words with trog over the SD.

You sabatoge every SD thread with your warped perceptions.

Anyone responding to you just fuels your need to be even more aggravating and annoying.

Look what you've done to this thread for pete's sake!

I don't know what your real problem is, but I'll bet it's hard to pronounce!
If you do not wish to discuss things you are absolutely welcome to not participate in a DISCUSSION forum.

Your allegations are entirely false in every way possible.

DW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread