Innokin iSub RBA Kit!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinnybagodoughnuts

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2015
Watch the video again Jim.The first lead goes straight down through the bottom of the rba ending up underneath the oring.The second bent lead is already a big enough pita.I would hate to try it with a base or mod in the way.You must apply downward pressure on the leads to tighten them.This keeps the leads straight inside the rba so they dont touch the sidewalls.Also in the video his recomendation of placing the longer lead in the slotted hole"bent one" is the opposite of what the "manual" states(great English though.)lol
I too really liked this tank but if a company can't even produce an accurate manual on how to correctly service it we then become beta testers.I have no problem with that; but we are actually paying them to do it.That I have a problem with.I am going to stick with purchasing last years next great thing once you consumers have worked all the bugs out of them.:D

Stegle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Portland,Oregon
I've only vaped on one Clapton so far. I agree the flavor is more intense but the ramp up is too slow, so you have to go up to 40 and above watts which gets too warm for me.
You can't re wick those either like the regular .5 ohm horizontals.

Jim, I stated you can't rebuild the rba on a mod or meter, which like Vinny pointed out you can but you have to pull downward pretty hard to get the L bent lead in place. It's way to hard of a pull to risk breaking something, either your mod or meter.
Good luck to all who decide to play with the rba, I'm going on day three now with a build that has only leaked a couple drops on the second day.

Stegle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Portland,Oregon
I have just built 2 non leaking wonderful tasting coils on the new rba.

The two things I did different after making sure the coil was snugged down inside the chimney;

1. I put the spit cap on first and then put my cotton wick in, cut it close to the sides, lightly fluffed.

2. I then only primed the wick from the outside, about 5 drops each hole, then carefully stuck ALL excess into the holes so that it was as flush as possible. I put none on the coil so it stayed somewhat dry and it made it easier to get the excess back in. I believe its because the wick inside the coil doesn't move so much when its dry!

I put the tank on and let it sit for a few minutes and viewed several large bubbles come up, then started to vape on what was the best flavor I've gotten out of any of the isub heads! I don't understand why those little adjustments made such a big difference but I'm really liking this rba now.

I just am crossing my fingers now that it doesn't start leaking or acting up in some way. If it does I will repost with results.

Stegle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Portland,Oregon
That was a good score Vinny! I went and looked and I saw two Subox mini kits for $69 each at gearbest.

Oh guess what, the new RBA is coming out next week from Innokin.....................it will fit the whole iSub line of tanks whether they're 3.8ml, 4.5, 4.9, 5.2, and will come in stainless or red and black.
Also the L bend is now a double W..... JUST KIDDING AND BEING CRAZY because I'm going nuts trying to get this right, in my "I don't know how many ml I have in here" tank!

Should come with the warning: May be harmful to people who have OCD tendencies! Ha

Vinnybagodoughnuts

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2015
Yeah you got to click on the U.S. warehouse to get the cheaper price.
Is there a new rba or are you just crackin nuts??lol
Apparently Innokin needs me on staff.
If they are listening I would gladly do some beta testing and proof reading of the instruction manuals.:)
OCD meds are expensive.lol

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
That was a good score Vinny! I went and looked and I saw two Subox mini kits for $69 each at gearbest.

Oh guess what, the new RBA is coming out next week from Innokin.....................it will fit the whole iSub line of tanks whether they're 3.8ml, 4.5, 4.9, 5.2, and will come in stainless or red and black.
Also the L bend is now a double W..... JUST KIDDING AND BEING CRAZY because I'm going nuts trying to get this right, in my "I don't know how many ml I have in here" tank!

Should come with the warning: May be harmful to people who have OCD tendencies! Ha

SIR! Put Down the Small Blue Screwdriver... and Slowly Step Away From the Mod! :mad:

:p

Unothegreat

ECF Veteran
May 17, 2015
Unothegreat, how is your build holding up?
We want details on your build please!
What gauge, diameter coil, procedure used for wicking, etc?
Please share with us!!
OCD'ers want to know, lol

Vinny, have you got your new tank yet?

It's been holding up great! I just used one of the stock coils that came with the RBA, cut about 3/16" wide strip of cotton, stuffed it through the coil. Screwed the top of the atomizer on, trimmed the cotton even with the sides, then stuffed the excess back inside the atomizer.

No dry hits, no real leaking. I've had a couple of drips come out of the AFC, but nothing I would call leaking. Flavor is great (certainly better than the stock coils), so I think I've got myself a winner. I'll definitely be picking up another one to use in my other iSub tank.

hurricanegirl100

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2012
The burbies of Cleveland
It's been holding up great! I just used one of the stock coils that came with the RBA, cut about 3/16" wide strip of cotton, stuffed it through the coil. Screwed the top of the atomizer on, trimmed the cotton even with the sides, then stuffed the excess back inside the atomizer.

No dry hits, no real leaking. I've had a couple of drips come out of the AFC, but nothing I would call leaking. Flavor is great (certainly better than the stock coils), so I think I've got myself a winner. I'll definitely be picking up another one to use in my other iSub tank.

That's a good idea. I think I'm gonna try that - see if I can rebuild one of the stock coils. This iSub RBA kit is just crazy...even with my skinny, piano-playin' lady fingers, I've dropped four screws under the couch never to be found!

Vinnybagodoughnuts

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2015
That is a bummer getting version 1. Did you get ahold of anyone at Innokin that knew anything?
Or did Sgt. Shultz answer with "I Know Nothing!!!"
I tried the Innokin USA phone number and it is out of service.
I started a new post hopefully one of the Innokin guys can help.
So far v1 hasn't leaked but I am using the stock coil and a 70vg. I haven't tried the rba. Now I have a known to leak tank to go with my finicky rba oh lucky day.Its a good thing I am stubborn and hard headed.lol

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
Just a short post and a bump for the thread...

I finally got around to building one a couple days ago (Wed?).
It's a pure-bred beeyatch that first time, but I can see several handling mistake that I won't make again so it may be perfectly fine a few builds down the road.

I wrestled the coil in, despite the half mangled legs thanks to inexperience.
A big fat ID 26g 316 at 0.61. Still early days but no leaks, no dry hits.
That's the RBA/RTA wicking fine line I have such trouble with. :(

Since I finally bought a "big bag o' Muji", I figured I'd play with a modest version of the Scottish Roll. Not so tight as the full treatment, but still a new thing for me.
Got the tails poofy and tucked into the juice holes and it's working very well.

I've still got the snap & crackle but for the first time, I don't get that insane toy paper cap "BANG!" from the first firing of the day with an iSub. Wicking or RBA design? Don't know.

The reported leaking may still crop up as the wicking ages, but so far... so good.
Nice to get the iSubs rockin' again... they've been feeling neglected.
I just may finally use my G, it's sat for almost a year.
Gotta find the DT though... I think it's on the Velocity. :p

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
I had to bump this thread because I'm wondering when the other shoe is going to drop. :confused:

It's been ~9 days on the first and 7 with the second, and... no leaks.
And this isn't my usual piss-poor over wicking with dry hits.
I've got a simple SS in the first and a Wotofo Tiger Wire in the second, and they're both producing beautifully... with no dry hits... and no leaks.

Yes... that installation is beyond fiddly. But when do they turn evil on me? :eek:

:p

louiesquared

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2015
Los Angeles
You're welcome. The coil diameter in the RBA is quite large so it requires a good amount of cotton. Or rayon in your case. I hope it continues to be successful for you.

OK, so far so good! I put more wicking in one of these RBAs and I've been using it for about 30 minutes and so far, it's still clean and leak-free. I keep flinching, waiting for a dry hit, but I haven't had one of those either, yet, so it looks like it was just me being dumb again. :oops:

Thank you very much, @louiesquared :D

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
Glad the 4mm is working so far. I figured the 3.5 was fatty enough, but I may try a 4 next time just for grins. Had both the Bachelor and one iSub out to shop yesterday, they lie on their sides on the passenger seat (on a paper towel), and neither leaked a drop.
No spew... woot! :p

Oh, and the cap unscrewing while it's installed in the tank. Instead of just finger-tightening it, I used my Leatherman and tightened it a bit more. So far, it hasn't backed off in the tank yet, but it's only been refilled twice, so the jury's still out on that fix. But it can't hurt, I guess. :)

I had thought of getting a little medieval on mine but figured with my luck... it'd lock up on me. :mad:

I'm just used to screwing it back tight each time, but I may try it on one.

I guess I won't be getting a few at a discount now, eh? :D

Lannie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
The windy plains of South Dakota
Glad the 4mm is working so far. I figured the 3.5 was fatty enough, but I may try a 4 next time just for grins. Had both the Bachelor and one iSub out to shop yesterday, they lie on their sides on the passenger seat (on a paper towel), and neither leaked a drop.
No spew... woot! :p

The 3.5 works great in the stock coils, but you know what I think, it's because the holes in the stock coil heads are round, but because of the cap screwing on the RBAs, they're "U" shaped, so there's tiny gaps up there on the top corners. That's just my guess, but it makes sense, and then using a larger diameter coil, it covers those tiny gaps. I've never, EVER, had a stock coil leak on me. It was only the RBAs.

I guess I won't be getting a few at a discount now, eh? :D

I guess not, but you know what? You were >this< close! LOL!

whodat2112

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
May 13, 2012
Mississippi Just Outside Of NOLA
If you guys and gals are talking about minor seepage, I have never owned a tank, by any manufacturer, that hasn't "seeped" on occasion.
Sometimes when going from extreme hot temps outside to cool interior spaces, all my tanks have "seeped" on occasion.

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
I know this is an innokin thread but please let me know more about th v2 merlin. I recently got a v1 and I'm not sure if it's the high temperatures here or what but I've been having leaking problems. I have to shut the juice flow off or it'll dump a bunch of liquid.

We've got a pretty helpful thread...

Merlin by Augvape and Roxy

I only just got the tank so I've only read the latest ten pages or so but you should skim it from the beginning and see what they were doing for their v1 bases.
As I understand it... they changed the base making a v1.5, then changed the body. Or the other way around. I did read about knocking the press-fit base apart, presumably to service the O-Rings. Seemed straight forward enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread