Status
Not open for further replies.

Lannie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
The windy plains of South Dakota
I tend to vape mine pretty low before refilling, and fill them pretty full as well, which I hear makes creating the vacuum harder.

I should pay more attention to those details, see if I see a pattern of when mine spew a little and when they don't.

Same here. I didn't notice the leaking when it was very full, though, just when it got down below half. "Spew!" LOL! That's the perfect word for it! :p

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
I should correct myself to say, I didn't notice the leaking when it was full AFTER I stuffed more wicking in it. When I was wicking it the same as I do the stock coils, it was spewing right from the start and never stopped. So there's definitely a wick issue going on here...

That sounds about right, and you said you were using Rayon.
I don't (well... twice) but I'm also aware how it doesn't plump up like cotton, so there's that.

Lannie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
No, it's not missing, and I tried putting an extra one on the 510 pin, but it got hung up in the base cap thing and I played hell getting the coil back out. So I didn't try that again. I'm going to try the 4mm coil and stuff rayon in there first, and if that doesn't work, I'll try stuffing cotton. I have a 3 pound box of rayon (enough to last the rest of my life, I'm sure!), but I also have quite a few small sheets of cotton that have come with various tanks and such, so I have enough to experiment with it and see what's going to work best.

It would be nice if we could get some insight from Innokin on this problem.

Lannie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
OK, I didn't have time until yesterday afternoon to make a 4mm coil for one of these, and then I didn't have time to babysit it and keep taking the tank off to check. But so far today, it seems to be working OK. I have the tank half empty, and the base and pin is still bone dry. I even took the base piece off and looked in there, and THAT was dry (and before, it was all juicy in there, even before it started leaking out of the bottom of the pin. So it could be it just needs a larger diameter coil. In which case, Innokin should put a 4mm mandrel in the RBA kit instead of a 3.5mm one. But the 4mm one won't fit in the airflow holes, so you have to switch back to the 3.5mm to install it.

Anyway, I'll keep you guys posted as I continue to empty this tank. If it starts leaking, you'll hear me screaming! LOL!

Lannie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
Well, it looks like the 4mm coil is the fix on this. I vaped that tank almost empty, filled it up about halfway again, then vaped that almost empty. NO leaks at all. Thank you again, @louiesquared -- you have saved my sanity! :D

So, for anyone that had the leakage problems, make a 4mm coil, but use the kit's 3.5mm mandrel to install it, because your 4mm one won't fit the slots. And then make sure the wicking is fairly snug and tight. So far, that's working for me. I hope it KEEPS working that way. I went ahead and made 4mm coils for all my RBAs today and wicked them a little on the heavy side. I'll keep an eye out for leaks for each one.

Oh, and the cap unscrewing while it's installed in the tank. Instead of just finger-tightening it, I used my Leatherman and tightened it a bit more. So far, it hasn't backed off in the tank yet, but it's only been refilled twice, so the jury's still out on that fix. But it can't hurt, I guess. :)

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
Glad the 4mm is working so far. I figured the 3.5 was fatty enough, but I may try a 4 next time just for grins. Had both the Bachelor and one iSub out to shop yesterday, they lie on their sides on the passenger seat (on a paper towel), and neither leaked a drop.
No spew... woot! :p

Oh, and the cap unscrewing while it's installed in the tank. Instead of just finger-tightening it, I used my Leatherman and tightened it a bit more. So far, it hasn't backed off in the tank yet, but it's only been refilled twice, so the jury's still out on that fix. But it can't hurt, I guess. :)

I had thought of getting a little medieval on mine but figured with my luck... it'd lock up on me. :mad:

I'm just used to screwing it back tight each time, but I may try it on one.

I guess I won't be getting a few at a discount now, eh? :D

Lannie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
Glad the 4mm is working so far. I figured the 3.5 was fatty enough, but I may try a 4 next time just for grins. Had both the Bachelor and one iSub out to shop yesterday, they lie on their sides on the passenger seat (on a paper towel), and neither leaked a drop.
No spew... woot! :p

The 3.5 works great in the stock coils, but you know what I think, it's because the holes in the stock coil heads are round, but because of the cap screwing on the RBAs, they're "U" shaped, so there's tiny gaps up there on the top corners. That's just my guess, but it makes sense, and then using a larger diameter coil, it covers those tiny gaps. I've never, EVER, had a stock coil leak on me. It was only the RBAs.

I guess I won't be getting a few at a discount now, eh? :D

I guess not, but you know what? You were >this< close! LOL!

louiesquared

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2015
Los Angeles
OK, now I'm on day two of the second 4mm coil and still no leaks. I have every reason to assume now that none of them will leak, as long as the coil is 4mm. I've got four more to check out, but I'm sure they'll be fine. :D

Great to hear! Hope the success continues.

whodat2112

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
May 13, 2012
Mississippi Just Outside Of NOLA
I bought two of these, received them yesterday, and "built" one using the provided coil.
So far, so good, no leaking and working very well.
Seems to be a tiny bit more "airy" than the stock coils, which is good for me as I am using it in the Isub V which IMO is a bit tighter draw than any other isubs that I have. (I believe I have at least one of every "model")

I'll probably order at least two more if I continue to have success with these.
And I found them for roughly $7.

whodat2112

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
May 13, 2012
Mississippi Just Outside Of NOLA
OK, now I'm on day two of the second 4mm coil and still no leaks. I have every reason to assume now that none of them will leak, as long as the coil is 4mm. I've got four more to check out, but I'm sure they'll be fine. :D

What are you using to wrap the coils on, to make them 4 mm?

Vinnybagodoughnuts

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2015
Well, it looks like the 4mm coil is the fix on this. I vaped that tank almost empty, filled it up about halfway again, then vaped that almost empty. NO leaks at all. Thank you again, @louiesquared -- you have saved my sanity! :D

So, for anyone that had the leakage problems, make a 4mm coil, but use the kit's 3.5mm mandrel to install it, because your 4mm one won't fit the slots. And then make sure the wicking is fairly snug and tight. So far, that's working for me. I hope it KEEPS working that way. I went ahead and made 4mm coils for all my RBAs today and wicked them a little on the heavy side. I'll keep an eye out for leaks for each one.

If you go back to page 2. I am the one who actually saved your sanity.:pervy::)
Glad its working for you! I retired my Isub tank.

Lannie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
If you go back to page 2. I am the one who actually saved your sanity.:pervy::)
Glad its working for you! I retired my Isub tank.

Sorry, I get confused easily! I'm glad SOMEONE saved it. ;)

However, I'm back to not liking these things again. It might be the hot weather we're having (yes, it does get up to and over 100 degrees in South Dakota), but I'm finding they're leaking again sporadically. One won't, and the next one pees all over my hand. It's so touchy. A hair too much wicking and I end up getting dry hits, a hair less wicking, and it leaks. I think I'll use these only in the winter, when my 80% VG juice is actually THICK, and use my Serpents for everyday use. The Serpents seem to have all the benefits I liked in the iSub tanks, and then some. :) Most importantly, it doesn't matter how thin my juice gets, they NEVER leak.

Lannie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
:)
I agree Lannie.There are so many other tanks out there that are much more forgiving and vape better.
I visited the Badlands once and it was truly an awesome experience.Very cold and windy though.:eek:

You got the windy part right. ;) I've actually never been to the Badlands, although I'd love to go see the area. We live about 100 miles north of there, and it's not even like 100 miles is too far to drive (we have to drive 100 miles west to go shopping every month), but we have a farm, and it's hard to take a day off. There's too much to do every day.

I LOVE my iSub G tanks. It's just these RBAs that are giving me fits. With stock coils in them, my tanks perform flawlessly, and I use them as my daily drivers (so to speak). Maybe it's just because I'm used to them, but to me the airflow is perfect, I rarely ever get a dry hit (with the stock coils, or even ones I've re-wicked), and they're a good size to fit on any of my mods. Not too big, not too small. I just wish there was a better design on the RBA. I don't know what that might be, but I wish they could come up with one that didn't leak all over everything. I hate the thought of having to retire my beloved iSubs when I can no longer buy the stock coils for them. I had such high hopes for the RBAs, thinking I could keep them going forever and ever, but alas, that is not to be.

Reactions: CountBoredom
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread