Innokin Zenith MTL tank--Phil Busardo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
I rebuilt and rewicked a Zenith coil today.
I havnt perfected the wicking yet but after 6 attempts at rewicking Im taking a break.
To take the coil apart you need two sets of pliers. Other than that every other tool you need is what you already have for any rta.
Its a fiddly chore to take apart and recoil and rewick and for me I can see that the rewicking is where real precision and thoughtfulness is needed, I lack both.
Im vaping on it right now and not having dry hits but it tastes very cotton'y and the draw is quite a bit tighter than a proper zenith coil. Too much cotton I guess.
I did mark and slightly deform the casing but it all went back together after some panel beating or repairs. If I ever try this again I know exactly how to go about taking it apart and with out any of the damage I caused this time.
I aimed to make a 1.2coil but it came out at 7.7 so Im not sure what happened there. I dont think I needed to make a new coil, I couldve just cleaned the innokin one and rewicked but I was curious to try and replicate the coil. I thought at the time that would be the hardest part of the whole job but the rewicking is time consuming in that you have to figure out the perfect amount and the only way to do that is to keep trying until you get it right.
I can see that if I spent enough time practicing building and wicking a zenith coil it could get to be a pretty easy job and rewicking would become more intuitive.
I dont know what possessed me to try and rebuild a zenith coil, I have a supply of coils for these tanks that will last for years and they arent expensive anyway.

Ive watched a couple of those.
Im not using cotton pads, just a length of cotton. Thats part of the problem.
Ive had another couple of tries since my first post about it. Ive kinda got it right, just, "kinda".
Ive got it wicking without burning or being too tight and much less of the cotton taste. There is some gurgling if I go to low on the watts or have too much air so I still have some fiddling around to do.
Compared to the original Zenith coil Im getting a much stronger throat hit and quite dense cloudz.
I ended up using the actual wire that I took from a 0.8 zenith coil.

I dont find the learning process pleasant and not sure how useful the eventual learned ability will be either :) Just a little bit interesting on a day off.
Having gotten into it each stage has become a little easier and quicker each time. I think at the end of it you could bang one of these things together just as quickly as any rbta

The casing is three parts that are pressed together. All three come apart.
the pads you see "tucked in between another wall" are tucked behind the 3rd part of the casing that does also come apart.
Ive played around with a few more zenith coils trying to refine the coil wind and wicking and have gotten to the point where it vapes quit well but has more throat hit than the innokin made coils.
It is the pads "tucked in between another wall" that smooths out the vape and reduces throat hit I think.. its actually just a wild guess. ;)
I dont have any pads and am just using ordinary vape cotton. Ive ordered some pads to play around with.
Each time I retry a build the process gets easier, quicker and the results a little better.
Im just not sure its a worthwhile venture when I already have rta's that I really like. I will keep going with it until I nail it or until I get to the point where close enough is good enough and then hopefully be able to stop being interested in it.
Sorry about quoting myself here.
I kept going, and going, and going with this. I grabbed some cotton pads and just plowed through it obsessed.
It was a worthwhile exercise in the long run...I think...unsure.
Ive got to the stage where its a consistently good vape and its quick to rebuild and re wick. Repetition of an exercise works wonders.
I can stop now. :)
I may never rebuild and rewick another Zenith coil ever again, however ;) Its not a fun thing to do and the premade coils are cheap.
The knowledge and techniques I did learn can be applied to any BVC and Ive used it along with a soldering iron to convert a Smok Spirals coil and a NRG coil into a real mtl coil. Effectively making those two tanks as tight a draw as the setting I use with the zenith or naut2. These coils are bigger and much easier to work with than the Zenith and basically the same set up.
Jury is still out whether any of it was worth the effort, I already have lots of good MTL tanks.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
For those who wash their tanks, do you have to make sure they're bone-dry before you use them again?
I don't with my tanks. What little water may be left behind will just combine with the e-liquid. Many folks use distilled water (up to 10%) to thin out Vg heavy e-liquid without bad effects.

Reactions: stols001

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
I began using Zenith tanks in August of this year with 1.6 ohm coils exclusively.

Last night I swapped the first coil. Not because it failed but because I had been using a flavor that would still be present in a tank load of something entirely different. Instead of the soak it 8 minutes and be bummed due to not much flavor for the rest of the tank, I let it set overnight and today....mmm mmm good.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I began using Zenith tanks in August of this year with 1.6 ohm coils exclusively.

Last night I swapped the first coil. Not because it failed but because I had been using a flavor that would still be present in a tank load of something entirely different. Instead of the soak it 8 minutes and be bummed due to not much flavor for the rest of the tank, I let it set overnight and today....mmm mmm good.
    Luckily have a bunch of carto covers from back a bit and I use them to steep most coils in with my all day vape. For days sometimes,lol. most fit perfect and I just give them a squeeze to prime every few days. I'm unflavored only vaper and do pick easily up on odd tastes. after a 3 day prime this time around, just several puffs later and the new coil taste is gone.
    I just popped one in and it tastes the same as the 3mth old one it replaced.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    after a 3 day prime this time around, just several puffs later and the new coil taste is gone.

yep, if a person is PATIENT when it comes to priming coils, and do it the proper way without flooding them, then they will break in almost instantly. It is difficult however, when a person needs a vape badly, or because they get a new kit to be that patient..... But, after a person gets setup with their new kit, then they can find ways (like you have) to prime their coils good and ahead of time.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2018
    I just open the fill port, top it up, close the port and vape. No tricks or special technique.
    I dont leave it open for long though. There is internal suction at work when its closed and being used and if you leave the port open too long gravity takes over and the coil floods.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I find the Zenith super hassle free but I had to like, come to understand some things to make it work well.

I) Airflow ALL the way open. My theory is people burning out their coils are not priming well and/or not providing enough airflow for that MONSTER coil (and it is). I don't think it runs well at all closed down on any coil and I have not gotten plexus coils yet due to early reports. I genuinely think that the vape is sort of weirdly "puffy and airy" because of the COILS, and the more air you can provide the better.

Also I run my coils at low wattage. My 0.8 coils do well UNDER 11 watts, which is kind of nuts especially given the size of the coil but for some reason long, slow drags at low wattage and lots of air is where it's at. I'm not sure you could get the plexus coils to a low enough wattage with enough air for them to not burn.

I like both coils, but they are pretty dang identical in vape, once /primed.

If you open your air at enough watts-- I toss my 0.8coils when they get restricted and THEN marvel at how much more restricted they can GET honestly , when inserting a new coil.; I have been running a few tanks now for months and have never actually gotten to "burnt." I was using PEG400 when I got these tanks I have no clue how they perform with high VG but PEG400 isn't as thin as PG anyway and I use 50/50 so it's still fairly thick.

YMMV of course.

Anna

wackygt

Nov 4, 2018
    Agree with Anna on the 0.8 although I think I vape slightly differently. I too have all the air holes open, however I run the 0.8 between 17-18 watts. Haven't had a burnt hit (other than the dodgy one that came with the tank that I changed after an hour) but today I really noticed the air flow becoming alot more restrictive.

So I have swapped the coil out - doesn't really look burnt although 2 of the wick holes are darker than the others. Fair bit of gunk in the top of the coil, suggesting that you could potentially clean it and re-use it but I can't really be bothered.

Got about 10 days of pretty much constant use - approx 60 ml of liquid although if I wasn't so sensitive to air flow I could probably have gone for twice as long.

Ordered some plexus coils as my curiosity got the better of me plus. Will report back once my current coil expires and I give the plexus a good run in.

United States

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 17, 2018
    RVA
    Hey Phil....how come my Zenith drains every time the barometric pressure drops? It's really becoming annoying.

I'm a huge fan of the Zenith, but I am done with cleaning out my 510 pin every time the weather changes.
    Done!!

Today a low pressure system moved in and my tanks were empty at sundown. Top closed correctly, stored vertical, kept same temp all day in shade, etc etc.

If they'd leak for the sake of crappy design I'd be ok with it. Well, maybe not. But point is they leak at random times for no apparent reason. I clean up, get the air chamber dry and all is well for a day or two and outta nowhere they leak again.

The Zeniths are going in my "retired box"...
    All 5 of them.

Reactions: stols001

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Hey Phil....how come my Zenith drains every time the barometric pressure drops? It's really becoming annoying.

I'm a huge fan of the Zenith, but I am done with cleaning out my 510 pin every time the weather changes.
    Done!!
    Ouch! Sorry to hear this.
    Today a low pressure system moved in and my tanks were empty at sundown. Top closed correctly, stored vertical, kept same temp all day in shade, etc etc.

If they'd leak for the sake of crappy design I'd be ok with it. Well, maybe not. But point is they leak at random times for no apparent reason. I clean up, get the air chamber dry and all is well for a day or two and outta nowhere they leak again.

The Zeniths are going in my "retired box"...
    All 5 of them.

Ouch! Sorry to hear this. If mine leaks anywhere, it's the connection atop the AF. I have a tendency to grab and loosen there when turning the atty to fill it also.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2018
    Ouch! Sorry to hear this. If mine leaks anywhere, it's the connection atop the AF. I have a tendency to grab and loosen there when turning the atty to fill it also.
    Ive given a few of these tanks away to different people and no one has really had much of a problem with them other than exactly what you mention here or walking away and leaving the fill port open for extended periods.
    I have inadvertently slightly loosened the af and main assembly and had the contents spill out. Once I became aware of it I havnt done it again.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread