Introducing the Precise Industrious RBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

forcedfuel50

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
First build, pretty lazy. Doesn't feed - at all. Happy burning cotton - yummy. Was great until it burned through the primer - not a great start. Hope it's my fault - because...not good at all.

Sounds like you have some air in the wick. Couple of things to check. Make sure the rolled stainless mesh reaches all the way to the bottom of the wick holder without binding. Two when pushing the ss wick aside to feed the cotton through make sure it doesnt get kinked or permantly pushed aside. You can pull it back to near round after you feed the cotton through. Also prime the ss wick with the top set screw out with a syringe needle. You can also lay it on its side for a few minutes to get that initial prime and flow it wont leak on you.

Last edited:

Draconian

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
San Antonio
Sounds like you have some air in the wick. Couple of things to check. Make sure the rolled stainless mesh reaches all the way to the bottom of the wick holder without binding. Two when pushing the ss wick aside to feed the cotton through make sure it doesnt get kinked or permantly pushed aside. You can pull it back to near round after you feed the cotton through. Also prime the ss wick with the top set screw out with a syringe needle. You can also lay it on its side for a few minutes to get that initial prime and flow it wont leak on you.

Built it again. A little better, not as lazy. Taste is really good, vapor production is weak. Ohms too high on the build - dropped in a kick at 15 watts and it picked up a bit. Seems to be feeding - need to drop the ohms to see what it can do.

forcedfuel50

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I'm thinking some hollow ekowool or hollow ceramic would be suiting for this atty. I'll never be able to dry burn a coil clean with this design using cotton. But with the ekowool/ceramic, it would be possible.

I haven't personally used it, but I see no reason ekowool wouldn't work great too.

forcedfuel50

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Built it again. A little better, not as lazy. Taste is really good, vapor production is weak. Ohms too high on the build - dropped in a kick at 15 watts and it picked up a bit. Seems to be feeding - need to drop the ohms to see what it can do.

What were you running for resistance and what gauge wire? Lower your ohms for more vapor production especially with a design like this which has a high wick to coil ratio, you'll need more heat to take advantage of it.

vdefazzio

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2013
Cooper City, Florida
3 Wraps and it seems to be about .75 ohms. But I'm new to the multimeter scene.

How tight is the kanthal supposed to be? I did three wraps of single 26 gauge and tried to get it as tight as possible and it metered out to 1.4. Throat hit from hell and not much vapor. Work in progress and not bashing. I love it on my polished ELA. Now I'm a weaponized vaper :rolleyes:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

ragnarokstar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2010
Florence, Kentucky, United States
I'm still working out the kinks but here is a pic if it helps. industrious.jpg

forcedfuel50

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Thanks! Gonna twist up some 28 and see how that goes.

3 wraps of 26 gauge, not very tight yields around 1.0 ohm for me. Too tight and it pulls the coil out of the airflow, you want the coil to be out near the walls of the top cap, so use plenty of filler under the coil so it pushes it out. My cutaway view gives a great shot of how far out you want the coil, you can see the coil comes very close to the walls of the top cap:

10626427_10101198804902721_7332257001048485452_o.jpg

Last edited:

forcedfuel50

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Also note how I don't coil all the way up to the top of the center post, get too high and juice doesn't feed up there well and you'll get a burnt taste. Wrap your coil about 3/4 of the way up max and the last 1/4, just bend you coil up to go into the set screw hole.

Last edited:

vdefazzio

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2013
Cooper City, Florida
Hi David, could you tell me what the dimensions of your cotton wick are? Basically what is the diameter in mm of your installed but non coiled wick. I know the cotton is too soft to get a good measurement but I'd trust your eyeball estimate. I built mine as I watched and paused and rewound and paused the video and even after twisting up some 28 gauge kanthal I still can't get below 1 ohm. It has to be my cotton wick. Rather than thin it incrementally I'd like to have a solid starting point then tune from there. Thanks David, big fan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread