The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Jonathan H. Adler's Opinion Piece in The Washington Post

Discussion in 'Media and General News' started by PJReid, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. PJReid

PJReid Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jun 2, 2013
    Virginia
    • Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Letitia

Letitia Citrus Junkie ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Comments are laughable. Only one reasonable voice to be heard. I've believed FDA officials are as crooked as the rest for years. What saddens me is that appears the courts are as corrupt. Is there anyone left to protect the public at large from being over regulated? Freedom my ***.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  3. stols001

stols001 Moved On ECF Veteran

May 30, 2017
    Very interesting article. Thanks for posting it.

Anna

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. PJReid

PJReid Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jun 2, 2013
    Virginia
    I warned you about the comments section. :oops: WaPo is my local newspaper and I learned long ago that many of those who comment do so just to argue with whatever viewpoint is presented in the OpEd. I am starting to recognize names. Anonymity is so freeing for those :censored:.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Letitia

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Wonder if they call them trolls too.:p

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. tokarev

tokarev Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 25, 2009
    Tennessee, USA
    They do. (I sometimes read WaPo comments for the entertainment. :D)

Edit: I should clarify that statement. I meant the Wapo commenters call each other trolls all the time.

• Like Like x 2
  7. sofarsogood

sofarsogood Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 12, 2014
    Gottlieb proposes to procrastinate on ecigs and then take most of the nic out of cigarettes. I would have supported the latter when I was a smoker. I think it's brilliant. There is literally 99% less bad stuff in ecigs compared to ciigs. We know that, he knows that. The fuss is coming from people who know their tax supported funding will decline if everybody stops smoking. They are more addicted to our money than any of us ever where to tobacco. The best evidence this is true is the issue is never raised. Poeple with conflicts of interest should shut up and butt out. If that happened everybody would love ecigs and Han Lic would get the nobel prize in medicine.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Rossum

Rossum "Chump" Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    You mean from stuff like this?
    Eh? How is "nicotine addiction" a public health concern at all?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  9. Letitia

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Some people will choose to ignore the difference between nic addiction and smoking cigs. And yes I do believe they are choosing to ignore the difference.

• Agree Agree x 7
  10. bobwho77

bobwho77 Super Member ECF Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Ypsilanti mi
    I don't know why you guys had such a problem with the comment thread on this article.
    They were almost exactly what I'd expected to find in an article about vaping in the Washington Post...
    Thoughtful, well reasoned, and (for the most part) WRONG.

• Funny Funny x 5
  11. VNeil

VNeil Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 30, 2014
    Ocean City, MD
    I have a dream... when "nic addiction" is replaced with "caffeine addiction". And the world implodes on itself...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. marianna

marianna Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jun 30, 2012
    Netherlands
    "Every addict will give up his addiction when he dies"

He will not be addicted to life anylonger when he is cloud chasing in heaven.

;)

• Like Like x 3
  13. SgtDubie

SgtDubie Full Member

Oct 17, 2014
    Lake Francis, Mb, Can
    The problem is we live in a world where “non-profit” organizations made a lucrative business out of protesting just about anything under the sun... billions are “donated” to anti smoking, anti gun, anti fur, anti hunting, anti circumcision.... an endless list of groups. The problem is, when something comes along that actually has the potential to end the problems one of these groups prorotest, that group has no more cause to sucker people out of their money. That is why the anti smoking groups are so against vaping despite clear scientific evidence about how it’s many times less harmful than smoking. Combine that with the billions the governments stand to loose in sin tax revenues... no wonder the truth gets burried in ‘but what ifs’

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  14. Letitia

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    ^^^ I can't like or disagree with that post.:(

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. SgtDubie

SgtDubie Full Member

Oct 17, 2014
    Lake Francis, Mb, Can
    There is nothing to like about it.... it’s a sad state of affairs. If you don’t disagree, it just shows you have enough common sense to see what is going on right i front of your face these days around nearly every activity or habit you might participate in...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Letitia

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    There are good people with good intentions still out there. I don't ever want to paint everyone with the same brush. I generally can't agree or disagree with blanket statements.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    There are. It just seems that Every Year, they become More and More Outnumbered.

Then factor in the Myopic Objective Lens the average Media Outlet uses to portray reality and you can see why so many people have become Cynical about things.

How Many Years did I Read Article after Article (supported by Bogus Study after Bogus Study) about how e-Cigarette were Worst that Smoking Cyanide?

• Like Like x 2
  18. Letitia

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Choose what media to read/watch. Still some good objective media available. People are too lazy to educate themselves and too lazy to entertain themselves. Turn it off and invite friends over for cards and conversation.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  19. SgtDubie

SgtDubie Full Member

Oct 17, 2014
    Lake Francis, Mb, Can
    Yes there are. Unfortunately most of them are being swept away by these groups that use hype and propaganda to tug at heart strings and carry people away in a wave of extremism.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  20. Letitia

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    People that take the time to do some research of their own are rarely sept away by propaganda.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.