Kayfun lite plus black clone edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

folkphys

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
Thanks heaps for the input! I guess I got so well-trained in Fogger Building that I subconsciously assumed that all of these kinds of rebuildables were picky about wick density. So much so, in fact, that I haven't been paying enough attention to the length of the wick and where it's positioned.

The pressure system (+ raised coil deck) makes all the difference! It was quite a change from the old Fogger heaven/hell, with the additional discovery that I prefer the KFL's at 1 -1.2 ohms compared to the Fogger down around 0.7ohms. The KFL's kept spitting violently up at me until I took it up out of my Fogger-learned sub-ohmness and tamed the beast. With a small diameter well compressed coil (micro, I assume) the firing lagtime is noticeable but tolerably negligible because otherwise, with the tiny chimney design and a subohm coil the KFL can be a real .....y little dragon.

Cromeus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2013
FSJ, BC, Canada
Be careful with Chinese clones. They use low grade metals that rust and make your juice taste like crap and who knows what they do to your health.
Some companies advertise their product as "all stainless steel" and they use cheap metals for the smaller parts and screws. Those metals are always in contact with your juice.
I bought a clone from fasttech and one from Tobeco and they both had the same problem
FT now has stainless steel screw on their site, and I think they'll mail you some for free if you received a KFL with carbon screw.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

f1vefour

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Emerald Coast
I already opened a ticket and supposedly i got the all SS version with the SS screws but i still cant get rid of the metallic taste. I havent had the chance to soak in vodka overnight but i noticed the screws are magnetic. I thought SS wasnt magnetic?

Depends on the quality of the stainless steel.

eda123

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2013
Austin
I already opened a ticket and supposedly i got the all SS version with the SS screws but i still cant get rid of the metallic taste. I havent had the chance to soak in vodka overnight but i noticed the screws are magnetic. I thought SS wasnt magnetic?

That's correct, they should NOT magnetize. If they do, you probably will run into rust issues long term. The original KFL and russian have no issues. The clones cut corners in material to keep costs down I guess, and vapers inhale from these things.

Soak your screws in water overnight. If they rust, get replacements. If they don't, you are good to go.

This is what happened to one tobeco after sitting in water:

http://oi44.tinypic.com/2eyb3ti.jpg[img]

Sent from my Provari Mini using [URL=http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1]Tapatalk[/URL]

bignrichie

Verified Member
Jan 6, 2014
queens ny
Okay been basically a week since I got it and I never had any problems with mine it works perfectly never leaks even though I don't have the airhole screw on it never got a dry pull ( this depends on your build. I build a 1 ohm micro on 5/64 w 28 gauge and also depends on the amount of cotton cause if u use to much it will not dry but less vapor but less cotton is more vapor and dryhits so gotta find a sweet spot) love this clone so much.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

benearl1

ECF Veteran
Nov 30, 2013
new jersey
The weather over here on the east coast delayed my shipping till tomorrow ): o well haha im hoping I dont get one with a stripped post like a couple of you have.. this will be my first kayfun style atty and I'm so pumped.

Ive been building microcoils and cotton in a protank 2 lately instead of using my kraken.. genies are just too much of a hassle being that I'm never home... + the kraken annihilates a tank of juice in around 2-3 hours with dual micros blowing hurricanes!

The kayfun seems like it will be the sweet spot of what I want- semi dope clouds with beast flavor and be able to build it and forget it like a protank...

we'll see how the black edition turns out :)

ngonerogwu

Jan 17, 2014
IN
Got mine today. Worked with it for a few hours.

I have an ehpro kfl+ and a hcigar 3.1 to compare to.

The ehpro is a little better made as far as materials go, and finished a bit nicer, but the black is certainly an updated revision.

The airflow is better than the ehpro because the external hole is slightly larger and the center pin has an enlarged hole at the top.

Design is closer on the black to the hcigar. The black has a better top o-ring design, as well as an o-ring on where the chimney threads to the uhh other part of the chimney.

Threads are noticeably better on the ehpro and the hcigar than the black. They aren't bad though.

Parts interchange better on the hcigar and ehpro. Certainly a looser fit on the black. No leaks though.

The screws for the coil on the hcigar and the black, which is to say, awful. They're like.. Ball headed, so they absolutely suck to try and tighten kanthal to. I replaced them with the ehpro spares, which are flat on the bottom.

Comes with way more spare parts than the ehpro or hcigar.

Juice channels are much much shallower on the black. No way around it, they're like half the depth of the ehpro and the hcigar. I don't know if this is a big deal or not. I've had a hell of a time getting either one of them to wick properly. Loads of dry hits. I cannot blame this on the parts, as everyone else seems to have no issues.

Busted knuckles

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2013
Portland, Oregon.
Just recieved mine and the positive post was stripped!
Not the screw, but the threads in the post.

Second kayfun clone, second warranty issue! May just have to buy a real one and not worry about the bad QC.

Oops, Correction. The positive screw and the neg screw are different sizes and he put a small screw in the negative post!

Why would you design an atty with different size screws in the pos and neg posts? Makes no sence, but I got the correct screw in the post and it's working OK now.

zipflint

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
Spartanburg, SC
Nope, you ain't the only one with wicking trouble! I have the same difficulty. I think it IS due to the shallow juice channels, several other folks in another thread have suggested I try to drill them out a bit, but I don't have the tools, skill, or experience to do that properly. I deal with the dry hits by putting finger over the air intake hole on the side and taking a HARD primer pull. I get a good 5-8 great hits after that.

I've had a hell of a time getting either one of them to wick properly. Loads of dry hits. I cannot blame this on the parts, as everyone else seems to have no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread