Status
Not open for further replies.

Huffelpuff

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2011
Philadelphia Burbs
In my opinion, there is a market for lower priced PVs. The economy is horrible and vapers should have access to affordable gear to tinker with. My objection is to the blatant rip off of modders like Zen and Imeo by using their images, name, comparisons and offering a cheaply made replica of the items that they create.

I will not buy a knock off because I know that if they break, the money that I've spent is worth $0. If one of my genuine pvs breaks, I can have it repaired by one of the good ECF vendors here.

There is making a similar model with similar features and selling it, and their are cheap copiers who intentionally ride the coattails of someone else's good reputation.

junkman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
Louisville
My 2 cents......

Unfortunately, the OP is quite vague as to what particular products he has issue with. If he were to list particular products that he feels are knockoffs, then perhaps we could discuss each and maybe able to make some reasonable conclusion.

When I started vaping about 4 months ago, I had no clue as to the history of the e-cig and who first developed what device.

I just wanted to quit smoking and thought vaping may work (it did).

Obviously, as a new vaper I looked for a good device at a reasonable price. I was not interested in researching the history of each device and who may have a claim to the intellectual property (IP) rights of each device.

Although I have much more knowledge now as to the history of the e-cig, I still find that it would be difficult to identify the IP of each device. As a consumer, it isn't really my job to do that anyway. If a product is legally available to me, then I have to assume the IP issues have been addressed. If for example, Zen believes (he doesn't) that he owns the IP for rebuildable Genesis atomizers (he doesn't), then he would be responsible to protecting that IP. It isn't my responsibility to do that for him.

I know that isn't completely effective, however, it isn't possible for consumers to sort out all the potential IP rights of everything they buy.

Unless a product is being sold as a say, Provari, when it is in fact clearly not a Provari, I don't think this is an issue for which consumers should be blamed. Thus, IMO criticizing people for buying say an AGA-T as immoral or otherwise wrong somehow is wrong headed.

meli.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2012
Private Suite GroenDakkies
You understand what I mean completely. You just want to make what you think are clever analogies to disagree. Ive already addressed everything you just posted in a few different posts please come up with something interesting I haven't herd yet.

Well, now that you mention Herd, perhaps you would like to learn a little bit more about that Human Condition.

Herd.gif

Amazon Link - Herd: How to Change Mass Behaviour

Xamicon

Verified Member
Jan 1, 2013
Constantia, NY
Not to say that I support knock-off scam artists, but my first PV purchases were from the only brick and mortar location near me, and the three of them were all knock-offs. I didn't know this of course, because they look so very much the same as the originals and the salesmen weren't talking very much as their job is to listen. I find that I am very pleased thus far with my PVs, cheap chinese copies that they are. I will of course be buying better and better as time goes on, and as my budget allows because I am yet another young long time smoker making less than $200 a week who couldn't afford to smoke in the first place let alone quit with vaping as I have.

meli.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2012
Private Suite GroenDakkies
There are people vaping that are less fortunate than I. There are people vaping that can barely afford to put food on their table. Maybe vaping is the one thing that they spend on themselves.......

..... thanks!
Hm...? Maybe they should really reconsider vaping then.

Of course, people who can't afford to put food on the table for whatever reason, should forget they have a tobacco addiction, and if they cannot afford to Vape they should just go back to Smoking tobacco or Just Give Up Smoking. The words Quit or Die spring to mind.

After all, we all know how easy it is to stop smoking right? A little bit of empathy would really go a long way for those who cannot afford to smoke and can hardly afford to vape but they are Trying to maintain a Family, Finances and their Health. Often they do not start vaping because they're being selfish but because they're trying to make a positive change both for themselves and their Family.

Trick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2012
Round Rock, Texas, United States
Considering how many of us probably started with a little e-cig designed to look exactly like a cigarette, is it any surprise there's a market for mods that look like other popular mods?

I huge part of the popularity of vaping is that it's a very good simulation of something that it's not. Apparently a lot of people have figured out that imitation sells. Big shocker there.

guppy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2013
Southern California
Why do we support Knock offs? Something like the Lava tube we thought was a knock off is juts a cheeper version but not really the same is one thing. But the clones that are a blatant rip off why do so many people have no integrity what so ever? It seems to me If we continue to support the design thieves the people who make better and innovative products will go away. Why would you try to be in a field who rewards your hard work, time, and investment with buying cheap substandard copy's of your product.
To the person who says availability I say have patience. 6 months ago Zen stuff was almost unobtainable unless you wanted to drop a truck payment on a mod but now are easy to obtain at less than cost used prices now.
Why pay a hundred dollars when you can get the same thing for 20? Well for one it is not the same I have yet to see a clone that preformed like original.
Why should I pay you X amount of dollars when I can hire an illegal alien to do your job for a quarter of the price? Same principal applys here.
I just wish there were more people with values and integrity maybe Im just foolish to think this!

You just said it yourself that the $100 product isnt the same as the $20 product... so the person producing the $100 product should have nothing to worry about. Also illegal aliens are not making them, if they were, they would also be labled as "made in america". The people who mass produce are the chinese in their native country and are not illegal aliens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread