Ok All You Original Maker Type People... Knock It Off...!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maurice Pudlo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2013
United States
Skim read it as it was a lot to read and your opening sentence ...... me off to be honest. I pointed out child labour as people will happily give their business to other company's who practice the same thing, but are apparently against clones for this very reason, i'm just highlighting the contradiction.

What would be nice would be people to sincerely take the moral high ground and not when it suits them. Someone with a chip on their shoulder because their high end mod they paid hundreds for is being cloned need to get over themselves, i got over a grands worth of Air Jordan's alone, I'm not crying or whining about the people buying fake kicks lol.

buy want you want, use what you want, worry about yourself and leave the next man to do what he wants too. You got a problem with people using clones? Mad people 'too poor' have a device identical to yours in every way and functions just as well but at a fraction of the cost? That's what it is, your problem, no point in .....ing about it like its gonna make any difference, enjoy what u got and forget about it

aquhy9ej.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In some countries kids are supporting their families, while that isn't always the reasoning why kids work I'm not so sure where my sensibilities have any place in determining the way another country runs.

My ability to promote that is to buy products I know are being sold at a price far below what it should be sold at.

In reality I make a solid effort to limit my purchases to those that, to the best of my understanding operate in a fair and equitable way.

You may well have become angry at hearing my support for child labor statement, that's how I feel when people support intellectual property theft or try to justify it with excuses.

Do I own some quantity of cloned items, I'm fairly sure my Nemesis is a clone, as could be some of the other second hand stuff I have purchased, I just don't know.

What I do know is this, I have been less than impressed with the items I suspect to be clones and have placed a number of orders directly to the maker for an authentic rig.

As for child labor, that's fine by me, when that labor becomes abusive to the child I draw the line. You see, the absolutely worst thing you can do to a child is to do everything for them, then the day you exit their life they have no idea how to cope. You obviously didn't grow up on a farm, you work as soon as your able. You earn play time.

Folks these day, a little too soft, a little too entitled, and a whole lot spoiled.

Maurice

Last edited:

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
I had posted this in one of the other 46,842 threads about clones vs. originals, and just copied and pasted here. Enjoy:

I will add this, then bow out gracefully.

1. Reposting the same thing you posted before where you said you will bow out gracefully isn't bowing out gracefully. 2. I think the point was largely ignored because it was nonsensical in this context. No one goes into business hoping someone else will clone their product with their logos and their designs.

NathanielFT

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
In some countries kids are supporting their families, while that isn't always the reasoning why kids work I'm not so sure where my sensibilities have any place in determining the way another country runs.

My ability to promote that is to buy products I know are being sold at a price far below what it should be sold at.

In reality I make a solid effort to limit my purchases to those that, to the best of my understanding operate in a fair and equitable way.

You may well have become angry at hearing my support for child labor statement, that's how I feel when people support intellectual property theft or try to justify it with excuses.

Do I own some quantity of cloned items, I'm fairly sure my Nemesis is a clone, as could be some of the other second hand stuff I have purchased, I just don't know.

What I do know is this, I have been less than impressed with the items I suspect to be clones and have placed a number of orders directly to the maker for an authentic rig.

As for child labor, that's fine by me, when that labor becomes abusive to the child I draw the line. You see, the absolutely worst thing you can do to a child is to do everything for them, then the day you exit their life they have no idea how to cope. You obviously didn't grow up on a farm, you work as soon as your able. You earn play time.

Folks these day, a little too soft, a little too entitled, and a whole lot spoiled.

Maurice

I gota be honest i do get the point your making and i agree as well, i know my family in Jamaica, young cousins who work a long day on my family's allotment, hard work that most people in the UK and probably USA would never have their kids do, but its the way of life out there to work as soon as you're able to. What we're used to in our own land will give us a standard that will differ elsewhere. Of course, forced labour and abusive employers would be way over the line wherever in the world someone is.

I think anybody who expects a clone to be perfectly identical and as good in every way is a bit naive, as are the people buying fakes of anything and expecting this, but for many the break in price is worth minor differences, and it's each individuals prerogative to choose which whatever they can afford or be happiest with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GMayberry

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2014
Virginia
1. Reposting the same thing you posted before where you said you will bow out gracefully isn't bowing out gracefully. 2. I think the point was largely ignored because it was nonsensical in this context. No one goes into business hoping someone else will clone their product with their logos and their designs.

Wow. Did I hurt someone's feelings? I'm sorry, that wasn't my intention. :facepalm: I felt it was good to repost it in here, as this topic seems to come up quite a bit, and I honestly don't believe that the OP had a clone vs auth battle in mind when he posted, but everyone seemed to turn it into that, like always.

It is simply a different perspective to see it from. It may not be the way you see it, but that is ok. We don't all think alike. That is what makes us individuals. As for my post being "largely ignored", did it? I didn't notice. But then again, it wasn't posted to get a response. It was posted to express a different point of view. Obviously not yours, and again... that is ok. If you see some of my other posts, be it an opinion, or advice, or how I do certain things, be forewarned, you might not agree with them. That's ok too. I think that is why we are all here, to share ideas, hear different points of view, etc etc.

Btw.... your signature is not correct. A nicely done tattoo on a beautiful woman is nothing like putting a bumper sticker on a Ferrari, it can be quite beautiful in and of itself. (See? You feel a certain way about tattoos on women, I feel differently. Is it fair that I call your opinion wrong, or should I have maybe said, "My thoughts are different than yours?")

Have a great day! :D

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
Wow. Did I hurt someone's feelings? I'm sorry, that wasn't my intention. :facepalm: I felt it was good to repost it in here, as this topic seems to come up quite a bit, and I honestly don't believe that the OP had a clone vs auth battle in mind when he posted, but everyone seemed to turn it into that, like always.

It is simply a different perspective to see it from. It may not be the way you see it, but that is ok. We don't all think alike. That is what makes us individuals. As for my post being "largely ignored", did it? I didn't notice. But then again, it wasn't posted to get a response. It was posted to express a different point of view. Obviously not yours, and again... that is ok. If you see some of my other posts, be it an opinion, or advice, or how I do certain things, be forewarned, you might not agree with them. That's ok too. I think that is why we are all here, to share ideas, hear different points of view, etc etc.

Btw.... your signature is not correct. A nicely done tattoo on a beautiful woman is nothing like putting a bumper sticker on a Ferrari, it can be quite beautiful in and of itself. (See? You feel a certain way about tattoos on women, I feel differently. Is it fair that I call your opinion wrong, or should I have maybe said, "My thoughts are different than yours?")

Have a great day! :D

No, you didn't hurt my feelings at all! Are people really so thin skinned that they let their feelings get hurt in threads like this? As for my signature, I am completely comfortable with it. Every one has different opinion on many things and they should! Some see Ed Hardy as the pinnacle of art, others look to the Louvre. We could go down that rabbit hole but it wouldn't have anything to do with vaping.

NerdVap0r

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
Bay Area
Im ok with clones & authentics but i find it strange when people are trying to treat original mod makers as charity cases lol. I understand it's their job but majority of them are just capitilizing on the rising vaping boom for extra side cash as a hobby. We got our own family to feed & buy what we like albeit clones or authenthic shouldnt matter. It's great we have variety but we dont owe modders anything. Buy what you want ;). As a reo owner i buy many tube clones as well lol.

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
Im ok with clones & authentics but i find it strange when people are trying to treat original mod makers as charity cases lol. I understand it's their job but majority of them are just capitilizing on the rising vaping boom for extra side cash as a hobby. We got our own family to feed & buy what we like albeit clones or authenthic shouldnt matter. It's great we have variety but we dont owe modders anything. Buy what you want ;). As a reo owner i buy many tube clones as well lol.

Well at least we owe the modders a "thank you" for all of the mods they came up with over the years, designed, and made for all to see. They brought about changes for the vaping community and all benefit from their efforts....

Here is an old thread showing an early mod from 2010.....ECF is full of modders contributions and modders to this day are in the forefront to incorporate new technology....

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/battery-mods/106016-how-build-puck.html

The Torch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2012
Montreal
:lol:

The only 2 arguments that could be had about your post is that better contacts on a mech will deliver more current and some fuse protection is a good idea in case someone is using an unprotected battery. (BTW, you should really be using an ICR as IMR's have a much lower amp output :D).

1 - Better contact alloys or plated contacts have less resistance, thus improving amp delivery - Ohm's law. Plain wires are usually just covered in solder, if at all, which is still mostly lead. I kinda wonder why gold plating does not seem to be more standard in e-cigs...

2 - My bad, I had them mixed up... IMR will give more amps than ICR... vape on, nothing to see here...

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
1 - Better contact alloys or plated contacts have less resistance, thus improving amp delivery - Ohm's law. Plain wires are usually just covered in solder, if at all, which is still mostly lead. I kinda wonder why gold plating does not seem to be more standard in e-cigs...

2 - My bad, I had them mixed up... IMR will give more amps than ICR... vape on, nothing to see here...

Solder is the adhesive, not the conductor. If your conductor is the lead, you got a bad solder job.

Maurice Pudlo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2013
United States

It isn't treating mod makers like charity cases, it is rather about letting people know the world does not revolve around their own desires and and unrealistic expectations.

Many people do not understand the complexity of economy, manufacturing, and how that all relates to their quality of living and that of others. This is troubling to some of us who have at the very least a modicum of respect and grasp of these concepts and their intricate relationships.

My own personal opinion of people is not truly effected by what products they purchase, it is more so influenced by the decision making process a person uses to make their choices. If you own an authentic high end device or use a cig-a-like to support your recreational use of e-liquids is of no consequence to me, one does not command any more respect or interest than the other. If your device happens to be a clone, that too has no bearing on who you are in my eyes.

It was mentioned earlier in this thread that mods were at one time less costly than they are today, I believe the claim was something to the effect of several orders above inflation. There are a number of reasons why this occurred, many of which have been mentioned in this and other conversations. First and foremost each factor is cumulative and has an effect on subsequent factors.

The cost of raw material is effected by inflation and demand at the time of purchase, as you move up the line from unidentified mystery metal to the highest end certified alloy with documentation tracing it back to the dirt from which it was mined, the cost differential widens drastically. Is there a huge difference in performance that demands the highest quality alloys, perhaps not, however such decisions on what goes into the device are not just made on performance alone, perception of the market also factors into what one might decide to use. For example "lead free" by federal standards is not actually free of any measure of lead (the Safe Drinking Water Act requires less than 0.25% lead), Naval Brass is "lead free" it has 0.20% lead http://www.nationalbronze.com/pdfs/C46400.pdf however I've found that alloys as low as 0.05% are available. The market may well see "lead free" and be okay with it, and a mod maker may decide to error on the side of caution and use 0.05% stock or even go so far as to use true 0% lead stock at a price point well above commonly available brass alloys. The difference in price is of course passed on to the consumer which may or may not see the difference in value between "lead free" and 0% lead brass. An additional factor of brass that effects the products final cost is that the lead in brass is there to make machining easier, take away the lead and you increase production time and/or losses due to this 0% lead alloy which was more expensive in the first place.

By contrast, a part that is made with low cost in mind will be of any alloy that meets the required price point and in the case of clones appears similar enough to pass a cursory inspection by the average consumer in the target market.

This thread was initially a rant on the price point set my modders, a rant that is born out of frustration over the price gap between authentic mods and clones. While I can see how one might presume the difference in price lacks good reason and is not justifiable based only on the form and functionality of the two devices, a leaded brass device and a brass with 0% lead device may well look identical, parts may interchange, and they may have similar performance in terms of electrical conductivity, however one may well be the much better option if lead content is something you want to avoid.

It could be argued that a modder could use the leaded brass and pass it off as 0% lead brass; that is a very valid point and I have no argument against the possibility that that can happen. There are bad people in every industry, and those people are very much the ones we all hope are identified at some point. I like to think that there are at least a slight majority of people that tend to do the right thing especially those who are more artisan than corporate types.

NerdVap0r, we all have families, either our own or we are part of one that would like to see us do well. I believe it is nearly always best to buy based on quality rather than price, the long term savings being far more advantageous than the short term savings. This is a hard sell to some, I do understand that. Granted the concept is heavily reliant on being able to identify what is of higher quality, and I have made my fair share of mistake purchases across the board, haven't we all. That is part of the process of learning. Much like these threads are part of the process of learning. While in essence we do not owe modders anything, we should recognize that we wouldn't have the vast variety of products available to us without them; we should recognize that without the capitalization of modders the industry itself would be little more than a hobby activity replete with home made devices and little to no community involvement in advancing the safety features we have become blissfully unaware of today (such as vented mods and locking buttons).

The advent of cloning has in at least two ways effected the market price of authentic devices; first is the concept of market saturation, second is an adjustment in the perception of value.

Market saturation effects price usually in a downward direction, however when the market saturation is accomplished with artificially low priced products the effect is quite the opposite. Modders cease to cater to the low price market and direct their products toward the higher priced market which is far smaller than the mass market. This is where limited runs at premium price points come into play. There is little point in making 12,000 mods for a market that consists of 12,000 customers when you are one of 20 modders attempting to take hold of your share of the smaller market.

When the products you make are cloned and marketed at a substantially lower price point the question of true value becomes a factor in the purchasing, especially when value adding features are not readily visible to the consumer (brass alloy for example). The potential for confusion decreases the likelihood your product will retain it's perceived value in all markets. Very much like market saturation this often drives down price, however the higher end of the market is not as effected by price point and is more stable in terms of buying power. The result is a choice for the modder, cater to the high end or the low end of the market. More have chosen to go with the higher end than the lower cost market.

Regardless of these two factors the designs remain desirable nearly uniformly across the market. If clones did not exist the authentic mods would most likely capitalize on the market void. As the market reaches saturation across the board pricing would fall to a level that is not sustainable by some modders, as they leave the industry the void opens market percentage to the remaining modders. The higher percentage of a market one controls the lower the cost per product due to volume purchasing power. This is often passed on to the consumer in an effort to retain control of the market share.

Not every modder out there is interested in gaining a huge percentage of the market, some simply aren't that type of person, others may not be the greatest in terms of business savvy.

I think that's beyond long enough for now.

Maurice

The Torch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2012
Montreal
Solder is the adhesive, not the conductor. If your conductor is the lead, you got a bad solder job.

What I meant to say is that some wire tips are dipped in a solder pot, therefore the conductor is covered in lead. Whatever is on the surface is part of the contact (in this case anyways since the goal was just taping a -I extrapolated- potted wire to a terminal, which means it is in series with the conductor itself.) Resistance adds up in such case since there is not direct bonding... We are by now completely out of topic and absolutely out of most people's knowledge of electrical conductivity and I was just having fun responding to a funny post and not posting an official scientific review of any sort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread