Let's be honest, smoking cigarettes is far cheaper than vaping!

Status
Not open for further replies.

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
Sometimes I wish I could un-like a post :p
As stated above, it's about how much those individuals saved based on THEIR monthly cigarette expenditures. Savings in banners aside, its more about a healthier alternative. I'm sure many would still vape even if it was more expensive.
Sent with one hand, the other is busy vaping.

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
Smoking is/was a habit/addiction.
vaping is/was a habit/addiction that can be turned into a hobby.

What you see and read at ecf is just the tip of the iceberg. For every member actively posting, there may be one or two 'lurkers'. For every lurker, there may be two or three vapers who just get along fine with their bread 'n butter hardware and just vape away without bothering much about new juices and/or new hardware.
And if it really does turn into a hobby, the costs of it can easily top a smokers budget. But in the respect, it's no different than any other hobby: Hobby-photographers have no qualms spending serious money on serious equipment, hi-fi aficionados are known to save up fo months to get their hands on top notch gear, classic car hobbists can spend weeks and insane amounts of money for just tracking down a single genuine spare part ... the list can go on.

And as hinted, what's the price tag you want to put on your improved health ?
How much is a day of healthier ( or less unhealthy if you're pessimistic ;) )living worth to you and your loved ones ?

TruSound

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2011
Granada Hills, Ca
I could be wrong here and I'm sure I'll be corrected if so...I'd be willing to bet the majority of smokers do not RYO, but whatever...for me personally I've saved quite a bit of money despite buying a number of authentic mods and quality juice, and like previously stated...is it really about the money, don't think so.

coolerat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2015
Verona,NY
What I would "need" to get through the day vaping is actually what I use 99% of the time. The other 1% is just for playing and could go as far as addiction replacement.

IPV4-$65

2 batteries-$15

Orchid V6-$10

100 of wire-$7

Bag of cotton-$8

Thats my daily ride and I'd say it could easily last a year. Some of it like the cotton could last 300 years but lets say a year.

Thats less then 30 cents a day

Plus about 5ml of juice a day at 4 cents a ml.

So 50 cents a day. A DAY!!! 50 cents worth of your high dollar Mr. Moneybags RYO smokes wouldn't get me until my first break.

Vaping is way cheaper then smoking however you go at it.

However I didn't quit smoking to save money and honestly I could afford to buy premade smokes for as long as I wanted to.

I just stopped wanting to.

tmcguffie

ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2014
Ayrshire, Scotland, UK
I used to hand roll my cigs and always brought home plenty of tobacco from holidays and my wife had a couple of her mates bring batches back for me, so the cost of smoking wasn't the reason I wanted to quit, it was my health, obviously, being a smoker for 40 years, it was taking a toll. When I got "into" vaping, I never gave much of a thought to the price of the gear, If I want a piece of kit, I'll get it, even if I've got to save for it. E-liquid on the other hand is a different matter, there's no way I'll spend £15 and upwards on 30mls of "premium e-liquid", will go through that in no time with a dripper, the stuff that's available locally is more reasonably priced but the quality is no better than average, so I got into DIY mixing and have now got a couple of custards I like and mix up in 1 litre batches for myself and 100ml batches of fruity vapes for my wife (she's using my old nautilus mini at the moment, just managed to get her off CE4's) as she needs it.
Things can always change, but at the moment I love all aspects of vaping and I'll always have a soft spot for the little £10 CE4 device that got me off tobacco

Reactions: Lessifer

nvadasz

ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2014
Beverly Hills, Fl, USA
I am new here and I am surely not the type to stir the pot, but something is bothering me. I see all these members with banners at the bottom explaining how much money they have saved thus far by not smoking, and vaping instead? I just have to shake my head and wonder what planet they come from.

Ten years ago I purchased a top of the line cigarette injector for $25. That same injector costs $35 right now, and it has been highly improved. I can buy top quality bulk tobacco wholesale on the internet, top quality filtered cigarette tubes, and produce world class cigarettes for just about $1.25 per pack. A few years ago it was less than a $1.00 per pack. These are first class top quality cigarettes, better than anything you can buy in any store. You can make them in any style or strength you like, regular or menthol.

A fumble fingered klutz with no practice can pump out one cigarette every 30 seconds, I can do 5 or 6 per minute, and I am kind of a klutz myself! I know poor people and rich people who make cigarettes this same way. Who still buys cigarettes in stores for $5 to $10 per pack? Seriously, who does that? Certainly not anyone with an IQ above 75.

Don't tell me it would have been to difficult for you to do, because messing with Mods, and e-juice, and batteries is far more time consuming and difficult than pumping out cigarettes on a tube injector. So my former habit cost me $1.25 per day for a pack. I can already tell that I will be burning far more than $1.25 in e-juice daily.

All I am saying is that vaping is more expensive than smoking for anyone with common sense, so stop bragging about how much money you saved, that is disingenuous. Brag about why you are doing it for your health.
I did the RYO before vaping. I used the machines they has available to stuff the tubes for me...$6 useage fee. Then had to buy the cig case (Cheap plastic ones $6) that held them..only 18 at a time, and then out the door. Go to the store once a week. Pain in the ..... vs Plug in my battery in he morning, fill my atty, and out the door...cost nominal.

Reactions: Lessifer

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
Sometimes I wish I could un-like a post :p
As stated above, it's about how much those individuals saved based on THEIR monthly cigarette expenditures. Savings in banners aside, its more about a healthier alternative. I'm sure many would still vape even if it was more expensive.
Sent with one hand, the other is busy vaping.

And the "savings" varies greatly depending on how much the government taxes us. Coming from NY which has the highest tobacco taxes in the nation, my savings are higher since a pack of Marlboros costs $9.50 in the store. If I was living in NYC, it would be higher still since NYC adds a city tobacco tax, so you will pay $12 a pack. Contrast this with even just crossing the border into PA where that same pack of Marlboros cost about $6.25. The "savings" in my banner just considers the amount of cigarettes that I'm not smoking and how much I would have paid for those cigarettes.

It doesn't take into account the money I am spending on vaping. I've actually spent way more on vaping than I have on smoking. Considering my bad habit the past couple of months of pretty much purchasing a new mod a week, and the fact that I still pay "full retail" for juice since I don't DIY and I'm buying "name brand" juices, even if I don't spend another penny on vaping through the end of this year, I will have spent more money on vaping than I would have spent on smoking.

GinnyTx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2014
Pearland, TX
we rolled our own with Farmer's Gold, tubes and the Powermatic II..and it was right at $8/carton.

So we didn't quit over the cost..we did for the health benefits.

now at one year and a stabilization of not buying near gear since October..we're now at $3-$5 in juice.

coils we spend maybe $20/month, recycle them back through...I have $6 of kanthal that will last me until the four horsemen show up *lol* and I already had Japan organic cotton make up pads *lol*

so it is indeed "cheaper"

not to mention the secondary health benefits: Saved $67 each for albuterol inhalers, $45 for nebulizer solution, and some sort of inhaled corticosteroid of the day..forget which one Advair or whichever $67 that I NO LONGER NEED.

Vapenstein

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
I'm guessing that my juice costs me around $15/liter to make, so at approx. 25ml/day I am vaping $0.38 worth. I can make a carton of good cigarettes, and by good I mean using Daughters & Ryan tobacco and not some tobacco hut garbage, for around $25, and if I smoked two packs a day that would cost me $5. I am saving a little over $4 a day, I can breathe and I don't get sick nearly as often. Money has nothing to do with it here, I appreciate how much better I feel vaping than I did when I smoked. You can get away with smoking when you're young, but as you start to head into middle age it makes you feel like crap, not to mention the increased frequency of sinus infections and respiratory illnesses.

Sgt.Rock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2014
The Poconos
Doing the DIY thing at two and a half cents per ML.

That's 25 cents per day for my liquid.

A couple Lemo2's, a couple Samsung batteries and a couple Stingray X's--some wick and wire and it's less than a buck a day--closer to 50 cents per day.

The only way I would spend less than that smoking cigs is if I grew my own tobacco.

Reactions: WindyCityJoe

Papillon61

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2015
Sunshine Isle
not to mention the secondary health benefits: Saved $67 each for albuterol inhalers, $45 for nebulizer solution, and some sort of inhaled corticosteroid of the day..forget which one Advair or whichever $67 that I NO LONGER NEED.

That's so right. I was on a steroid puffer at $1 a pop and codeine cough suppressant med every night just to be able to sleep through the incessant dry coughing. Now I am FREE of all that. I consider that a saving you can't even start to quantify.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
one needs to consider the opportunities to look into the miriad of ways to keep costs of vaping minimal
for example, a decent mod ( not hi end) costs 36$ ( SVD fasttech)
batteries lets say 9$ each qty 3 27$
battery charger 27$
wire 5$
rayon wick 500' 11$
atty 9-30$
okay thats about 136$ for hardware
juice at 40$ per month ( 100ml bottle)
so 40X12 =480$ + hardware136$ = 616$ for the year
I smoked 2-3 PAD at a cost of 3.75 per pack this equates to 9.38 ( averaged for 2.5 PAD) per day and 365 days is 3421$
Id say thats a "savings" of approximately 2100$
so yes... I am not spending the 2100$ on ciggies, now I can spend it on more BEER :)
and... since Ive been vaping I havent had to go to the Dr. 2X a year for the nasty cold and infection I was getting while smoking... 2X 150$ sooo...2100+ 300 = 2400$ not spent on smoking :)

Last edited:

Papillon61

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2015
Sunshine Isle
I tend to be very methodical. I also live in Europe so I know that within less than a year I would probably have to give up vaping unless I stock up now on everything from Nicotine to vaping hardware and all things related. That was rather heartbreaking so close to my taking up vaping and seeing so much improvement in my health overall. So here is what my calculations are looking at the moment. Apart from some flavours I would need to replenish over time I'm pretty much set for the next 5 years. (Also at the start of DIY I did go to town with flavours, some of which I have never used).

vaping data.JPG

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
I would like to add here, those banners help those that really need to see how long they have not had a cigarette, how much money they are saving by not buying cigarettes, how many cigarettes they have not smoked.

It is a crutch, a tool if you will, for those to help them be proud of their accomplishment. Yes, some don't take into actual account of how much they have spent in gear or whatever. The point of those banners is for the person displaying them....for themselves.

I couldn't be bothered with rolling my own. Had no desire to go down that path. I still am not one to fiddle with equipment. I only build coils when I absolutely have to, because one finally failed me.

This community is awesome. We cheer those that have reached goals, finally got their equipment right and have found what works for them. Even when they can point to their banner and say that they have never been able to stay off cigarettes that long before....ever.

We also give support when they feel like they've slipped.

What we try not to do is criticize each other in the choices they make. What works for one does not necessarily work for another.

Those that have banners, need those banners. Let them be.

Tyberias

Jun 1, 2010
TN
Like others have stated, mine is based off of how much I used to spend smoking. I also keep a spreadsheet with a running total of my vaping purchases and money saved from other incurred costs associated with smoking, such as Inhalers, insurance premiums, etc. Cost of cigarettes aside, I've saved money from the residuals alone. So, my total saved is actually higher than the signature bar suggests.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    I didn't switch to RYO to save money, and I'd highly recommend any smokers unwilling to vape to switch as well, if your state mandates carpet glue/FSCs. It does have a start-up cost while you learn most RYO tobaccos suck, but not as high as vaping tends to.

Vaping costs vary over a huge range, but the big reason for savings is taxes on smokes. The companies that sell cartridge-based systems even claim they save you money, which we know isn't true. I find the claims of DIYers also to be suspect, as they never include initial or incidental costs. Cost shouldn't be the main motivation for it, usually isn't, and there does seem to be deception regarding it.

Reactions: TraderX
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread