Let's be honest, smoking cigarettes is far cheaper than vaping!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
This thread is one inflammatory and insulting troll post, and 50+ replies of people contradicting it. Anyone notice yet that the OP has yet to reply to anyone? I think someone went back to his cozy little home under the bridge.
It does seem to be an inflammatory hit and run thread but it can also be a learning thread for those that have just started out and want to know if they can save by vaping. :D

RipCigs

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2015
Croatia
I rolled tobacco myself for most of my smoking days. It wasn't expensive by any means compared to buying packs. Now i DIY my liquids and rebuild my coils. I sell some of my DIY liquids to people who prefer them to the ones available in my town at half the price the store bought ones cost.
This results in me basically vaping for free, them vaping almost for free (i rebuild their tank coils when that's possible for free), and with the leftover money i order new flavors which makes everyone happy.
As a long time RIY, yep, vaping is way cheaper. Unless of course if you keep buying premium liquids and replacement heads (not taking into account buying every new atty or mod that shows up).

CommaHolly

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Plant City, FL
I suppose if you quit solely for the cost, you won't save nearly as much as you think you might,,,,,,,,,,but there ARE many reasons to quit smoking,,,,

and not everyone has access to RYO. I didn't even KNOW about RYO until AFTER I quit,,,,,,,for YEARS, I promised myself I'd quit smoking when cigarettes were 1.00 a pack. Yep, 1.00. I did not, however, and I smoked until they were about 4.00 a pack.

In any case, he's entitled to his opinion. I happen to disagree with him. I save what my banner says because I DID use regular cigarettes, albeit an off brand when I quit.

Reactions: Asbestos4004

GutWrench

Verified Member
Apr 27, 2015
The op is right. No if ands or buts about it. Sure you can knock down the price considerably with DIY but you guys are leaving out all the hardware. Even if you buy all Chinese stuff. You are still looking at $100 or so for a setup that will give you a worth while vape experience. I vaped ego style and bought the cheapest juice I could find and I was still spending around $40-$50 a month on juice and coils. I was smoking on average a carton of Marlboro's a week before; so yeah, it was cheaper but then I was replacing tanks and batteries every few months. $15 here, $20 there... Then I was introduced to subohm vaping and have now spent upwards of $500 just on my two mods, ohm meter, RTA and RDA. i have also now started buying some more expensive juices... It's no longer "cheap" and I can feel it in my wallet.

Reactions: TraderX

CommaHolly

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Plant City, FL
I think it depends on what you want,,,,,,,also, my banner is based on 4.00 a pack,,,,,,if you consider the cigarettes I used to smoke have gone to 5.50 a pack in the last 3 years, I've actually saved MORE than the 8 grand it says,,,,,,

of course, then you have to subtract hardware, supplies, etc. But I'm a pretty simple vaper. I have a provari, and an Iclear30. I buy my heads in China for 1.00 each head. I make my own no nic juice,,,,,,,,I think it costs me about 2.00 for 50 ml of juice.

Now, if you're a mod junkie or like, GutWrench, you sub ohm, your mileage may vary.

Reactions: WindyCityJoe

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
The op is right. No if ands or buts about it. Sure you can knock down the price considerably with DIY but you guys are leaving out all the hardware. Even if you buy all Chinese stuff. You are still looking at $100 or so for a setup that will give you a worth while vape experience. I vaped ego style and bought the cheapest juice I could find and I was still spending around $40-$50 a month on juice and coils. I was smoking on average a carton of Marlboro's a week before; so yeah, it was cheaper but then I was replacing tanks and batteries every few months. $15 here, $20 there... Then I was introduced to subohm vaping and have now spent upwards of $500 just on my two mods, ohm meter, RTA and RDA. i have also now started buying some more expensive juices... It's no longer "cheap" and I can feel it in my wallet.
Look at it this way, at least now, you've got something to show for the money spent, smoking, your money just went up in smoke :)

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
Ummm... let's see:

Over 60,000 cigs avoided
Over $15,000 NOT spent on cigs
Less than 20% of $avings $pent on vaping gear & supplies (over estimated vaping expenditure %)
That's still over $12,000 in $avings; not counting health benefit$

Now... what's the topic again?

BTW, I'm from the third planet from the Sun!

ETA: 'Bakky history in sig...
point_down.gif

Last edited:

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
I've only been on this forum for a little while, but do these types of threads pop up every other week. I am not concerned about anyone else's money situation,only my own.
Vaping has changed my life, and cigarettes suck!

not very often ... every once in a while, someone thinks their roll their own smokes were as good or better than Marlboros ... they also don't understand how others could not tolerate cheap home rolled smokes.

They also don't grasp onto the fact, many folks are vaping for much less than cheap crappy home rolled cigarettes cost.

therefore, they start a thread like this to remind us how stupid we are.

TraderX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2015
Philly Suburbs
If you do not like vaping or if it is to expensive for you then why are you here?

I am just not understanding the point of your post. It just seems like you want to rain on others parade. Why?
If people are happy and not harming you or your life then why are you concerned?
People here should be celebrated. Your post is just nit picking and does not mention at all that you actually vape.

{MODERATED}

I like vaping just fine, and I will not be smoking again, and I am not trying to rain on anyone's parade. I am just saying that you are not saving any money over smoking, at least not RYO anyway. After reading some of these posts, maybe I am the one with the low IQ? I obviously need to find out about where to get this dirt cheap e-juice others talk about.

Papillon61

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2015
Sunshine Isle
. Then I was introduced to subohm vaping and have now spent upwards of $500 just on my two mods, ohm meter, RTA and RDA. i have also now started buying some more expensive juices... It's no longer "cheap" and I can feel it in my wallet.

Sure, but that is a choice isn't it. I have spent a lot of money - though like I said it was for a very specific reason. The in-law who introduced me to vaping started 6 months ago with 2 ego batteries and a couple of CE4s. She is still using ego batteries and CE4s and has not smoked a single analog in 6 months. With the price of cigarettes in the UK where she lives, you bet she has saved heaps of money. For a long while she had been rolling her own and still she has saved. Maybe the best decision she made was NOT to join any forums and allow herself to be taken over by shinitis. Mostly though - she has saved her life. Is there a price for that!

mauricem00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2015
carson city nevada
I am new here and I am surely not the type to stir the pot, but something is bothering me. I see all these members with banners at the bottom explaining how much money they have saved thus far by not smoking, and vaping instead? I just have to shake my head and wonder what planet they come from.

Ten years ago I purchased a top of the line cigarette injector for $25. That same injector costs $35 right now, and it has been highly improved. I can buy top quality bulk tobacco wholesale on the internet, top quality filtered cigarette tubes, and produce world class cigarettes for just about $1.25 per pack. A few years ago it was less than a $1.00 per pack. These are first class top quality cigarettes, better than anything you can buy in any store. You can make them in any style or strength you like, regular or menthol.

A fumble fingered klutz with no practice can pump out one cigarette every 30 seconds, I can do 5 or 6 per minute, and I am kind of a klutz myself! I know poor people and rich people who make cigarettes this same way. Who still buys cigarettes in stores for $5 to $10 per pack? Seriously, who does that? Certainly not anyone with an IQ above 75.

Don't tell me it would have been to difficult for you to do, because messing with Mods, and e-juice, and batteries is far more time consuming and difficult than pumping out cigarettes on a tube injector. So my former habit cost me $1.25 per day for a pack. I can already tell that I will be burning far more than $1.25 in e-juice daily.

All I am saying is that vaping is more expensive than smoking for anyone with common sense, so stop bragging about how much money you saved, that is disingenuous. Brag about why you are doing it for your health.
I am new here and I am surely not the type to stir the pot, but something is bothering me. I see all these members with banners at the bottom explaining how much money they have saved thus far by not smoking, and vaping instead? I just have to shake my head and wonder what planet they come from.

Ten years ago I purchased a top of the line cigarette injector for $25. That same injector costs $35 right now, and it has been highly improved. I can buy top quality bulk tobacco wholesale on the internet, top quality filtered cigarette tubes, and produce world class cigarettes for just about $1.25 per pack. A few years ago it was less than a $1.00 per pack. These are first class top quality cigarettes, better than anything you can buy in any store. You can make them in any style or strength you like, regular or menthol.

A fumble fingered klutz with no practice can pump out one cigarette every 30 seconds, I can do 5 or 6 per minute, and I am kind of a klutz myself! I know poor people and rich people who make cigarettes this same way. Who still buys cigarettes in stores for $5 to $10 per pack? Seriously, who does that? Certainly not anyone with an IQ above 75.

Don't tell me it would have been to difficult for you to do, because messing with Mods, and e-juice, and batteries is far more time consuming and difficult than pumping out cigarettes on a tube injector. So my former habit cost me $1.25 per day for a pack. I can already tell that I will be burning far more than $1.25 in e-juice daily.

All I am saying is that vaping is more expensive than smoking for anyone with common sense, so stop bragging about how much money you saved, that is disingenuous. Brag about why you are doing it for your health.
my e-juice cost me $1.50 per ounce to make and I can make any flavor,strength and nicotine content I want.1 ounce (30ml) will last me over 1 week. my mod, tank, and batteries cost me $31 and I have a spare battery so I can always have a charged battery for my mod.enough wire to make 400 coils cost me $3.75 and a bag of cotton balls cost me a buck.you can spend a lot more on equipment and many people here do but you can vape for less than the cost of "roll your own" and have a very satisfying experience while enjoying the health benefits of getting free from tobacco which is priceless to many of us

TraderX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2015
Philly Suburbs
OP proceeds to accuse a big slice of ECF of being dishonest, lacking in common sense, bragging and being disingenuous. Then states he doesn't want to stir the pot. That seems pretty disingenuous to me.
It's really unpleasant to see people scrabbling around trying to justify there expenditures.
Whether vaping costs more or less is irrelevant.

You honestly read something into my post that was out of line with what I was trying to say partner. I do vape, I do not smoke any longer. I was simply saying was that it (so far) is in no way cheaper than smoking, at least for me. I wasn't trying to pick a fight {MODERATED}.

Last edited by a moderator:

TraderX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2015
Philly Suburbs
certainly anyone with an IQ above 50 would realize vaping for less than $1 per day is cheaper than wasting $1.25 per day rolling cigarettes ... you are still new to vaping and have not figured out how to vape the same economic way you figured out smoking.

Dollar-A-Day Group | E-Cigarette Forum

Are you trying to say, your common sense told you to start smoking with RYO cigarettes?

I vape for much cheaper than you ever smoked for ... and I also have 15 devices and tanks now, where every smoke you ever rolled is gone forever.

Obviously, I need to figure out the budget vaping part. So far it is kind of expensive. I can afford it, but smoking was cheaper for me. Hopefully, I will learn about the most economical ways to vape.

CommaHolly

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Plant City, FL

You honestly read something into my post that was out of line with what I was trying to say partner. I do vape, I do not smoke any longer. I was simply saying was that it (so far) is in no way cheaper than smoking, at least for me. I wasn't trying to pick a fight, even if you clearly are.

the problem is, you kinda did say we were all nuts and implied we weren't telling the truth about our savings. Now if you'd just SAID it was not cheaper for YOU, then we probably couldn't naysay that. It sounds like vaping is NOT cheaper for you.

but thanks for clarifying that you meant for YOU.

jrlakeman

Mar 25, 2015
I find im saving money vaping and thats not even trying. I was $200 a month on analogs now i spend $60 a month on premade e juice i keep procrastinating getting my diy set up... Once in awhile ill get a new piece of gear but thats just a luxury at this point i dont need it. I think its like phones some ppl have to get the newest one and others use theres till they break. I like to run my stuff into the dirt so i get maximum use. Its really nice to have the newest stuff on the market but its not necessary if your trying to save money.

Reactions: CommaHolly

Who-dat

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2011
Austin
Started vaping almost 5 years ago, when I got plenty of strange looks form cops and airport checkers. I was coming off a pack and a half a day habit, which was probably costing me $250-$300 a month. In my 1st few months of vaping, I probably spent $1,000 on various cheap e-cigs and overpriced juices. Then, i discovered the REO.

Over the next 4 or so years, I've probably been averaging ~$15 a month. Given that my previous smoking habit required cigs that are now much more expensive, that's about 1/30th the cost. I buy very cheap juices, and in major bulk. I build my own atties with coil that I also bought in bulk, several years ago. And I used the same beat to heck mod for four years... it's ugly, but it works.

Recently, I bought a few newer mods. These mods cost me money, and use a lot more juice. So, I suspect my habit will get a bit more expensive. But it;s nowhere near what smoking cost. And, after almost five years of vaping, I feel a heck of a lot better.

Shipwreck

Jun 4, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Right back at ya ;) Even though RYO is much less expensive, I've only met about 2 people IRL who dun it.

Should we update the banners to say "If I continued smoking the way that I smoked, I would have spent..." ? I've seen plenty of banners that account for RYO-style smokers, and they have saved considerably less money than those of us who didn't RYO. So it is out there, most just didn't do it.

Anywho, it's not just about the money for me...I like my banner, and in a year, I've still only spend about $300 on vaping supplies. Factor in the long term savings from setting up my own DIY juice kit (half of that was on supplies for it), and I'll spend much less next year on supplies. But i smell better and feel better and so much more.

To each their own!

ETA: my ejuice costs me about 10 cents/mL...I vape about 3mL per day. Vaping is cheaper for me than RYO would've been.

You took the words right off my keyboard. My banner is actually one of the ones you mentioned. It allowed me to put in the cost of what I was buying as well as how many stinkys I was smoking per day. I bought my cigarettes on the reservation at $10 per bag of 200. So it was costing me exactly $1.25 per pack of 25, and I was smoking about 35 and more stinkys a day. I've been keeping track of the puff counter on my MVP3 and I'm vaping a LOT less than I smoked. I'll be doing DIY juices in a couple of weeks and rebuilding my coils so I'll save even more.

So to me, the money I will save with the added benefits of breathing better, not weezing when I breathe, smelling better, my place smelling better, and all the other health and various benefits of not smoking is well worth it.

Vape on folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread