Let's be honest, smoking cigarettes is far cheaper than vaping!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dom

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2015
Linwood, NJ
I am new here and I am surely not the type to stir the pot, but something is bothering me. I see all these members with banners at the bottom explaining how much money they have saved thus far by not smoking, and vaping instead? I just have to shake my head and wonder what planet they come from.

Ten years ago I purchased a top of the line cigarette injector for $25. That same injector costs $35 right now, and it has been highly improved. I can buy top quality bulk tobacco wholesale on the internet, top quality filtered cigarette tubes, and produce world class cigarettes for just about $1.25 per pack. A few years ago it was less than a $1.00 per pack. These are first class top quality cigarettes, better than anything you can buy in any store. You can make them in any style or strength you like, regular or menthol.

A fumble fingered klutz with no practice can pump out one cigarette every 30 seconds, I can do 5 or 6 per minute, and I am kind of a klutz myself! I know poor people and rich people who make cigarettes this same way. Who still buys cigarettes in stores for $5 to $10 per pack? Seriously, who does that? Certainly not anyone with an IQ above 75.

Don't tell me it would have been to difficult for you to do, because messing with Mods, and e-juice, and batteries is far more time consuming and difficult than pumping out cigarettes on a tube injector. So my former habit cost me $1.25 per day for a pack. I can already tell that I will be burning far more than $1.25 in e-juice daily.

All I am saying is that vaping is more expensive than smoking for anyone with common sense, so stop bragging about how much money you saved, that is disingenuous. Brag about why you are doing it for your health.
But your still smoking. Still coughing blackies.

Puff2K

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2015
USA
I rolled my own smokes (cheap tobacco, less cheap papers, I didn't use tubes). The only major expense for me is juice now, and I'm trying to cool it with the premium and flavor chasing. So, yes, vaping is still cheaper for me than roll your own smoking was. And I get to try not to make my copd any worse than it is already.

Ohm Gnome

Apr 27, 2015
Douglasville Ga
I don't think the op was trying to be offensive. And the op did say he vapers. Some have said he didn't say and questioned his intentions. Trader you have to understand most members here are tootle puffers and don't buy new equipment every time it comes out because they're not chasing anything and are content. I was told in the beginning vaping is so much cheaper also. And it is for vapers like I previously mentioned but that's not me. I'm always buying new tanks and chasing the best vape I can get. I also only use" premium" juice and I can go through 20 ml a day very very easily. Often I go through more. I'm not a cloud chaser but big clouds are a byproduct of my vaping style. I have always had impulse control problems. I have a very addictive personality so yeah spend way more on vaping vs smoking but I feel zero guilt about it. I quit all the substances I spent a lifetime abusing so I can afford vaping the way I love. I'm this thread and too many other recent threads vapers have been divided and attacking one another. I sure wish we could put aside our vaping style differences and unite to fight the real enemy. Divide and conquer will end this industry as we know it if we continue to let it. But there is another way. ALL OF US VAPERS UNITED WILL NEVER BE DEFEATED

DanJiblets

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
Shorewood, IL
I saved tons of money my first 10 months, but have spent a killer amount on mods and juice sales the last couple months. Probably twice much as smokes would've cost. However, if I added it up it'd still be cheaper. My smokes were $7 a pack, not everybody is content with cheap roll your owns. Also if I just stopped buying vape stuff today (unlikely lol), I could easily go the next 4 months without dropping a dime. I'm happier, healthier, and at worst on par with the spending. On top of all, I love vaping, it's how I get through my days. Why not spend a little cash on what you love? I could use my one mod, and buy cheap juice and spend 1/4 the cost, but I choose to spoil myself because I love it!

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
OP proceeds to accuse a big slice of ECF of being dishonest, lacking in common sense, bragging and being disingenuous. Then states he doesn't want to stir the pot. That seems pretty disingenuous to me.
It's really unpleasant to see people scrabbling around trying to justify there expenditures.
Whether vaping costs more or less is irrelevant.

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
Certainly not anyone with an IQ above 75.

Don't tell me it would have been to difficult for you to do, because messing with Mods, and e-juice, and batteries is far more time consuming and difficult than pumping out cigarettes on a tube injector. So my former habit cost me $1.25 per day for a pack. I can already tell that I will be burning far more than $1.25 in e-juice daily.

All I am saying is that vaping is more expensive than smoking for anyone with common sense, so stop bragging about how much money you saved, that is disingenuous. Brag about why you are doing it for your health.

certainly anyone with an IQ above 50 would realize vaping for less than $1 per day is cheaper than wasting $1.25 per day rolling cigarettes ... you are still new to vaping and have not figured out how to vape the same economic way you figured out smoking.

Dollar-A-Day Group | E-Cigarette Forum

Are you trying to say, your common sense told you to start smoking with RYO cigarettes?

I vape for much cheaper than you ever smoked for ... and I also have 15 devices and tanks now, where every smoke you ever rolled is gone forever.

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
There are many different ways to Smoke and Vape. Here in Canada smokes can cost a fortune 11.00 bucks a pack, but you can get native sold bag smokes, 200 for 20.00 You can buy every fancy mod and atty that comes out and vape premium juice for 1.00 a mil
or you can get a less expensive mod and vape DIY'ed unflavoured nic juice for way less money.
Vaping can be expensive or it can cost a lot less depending on how you go about it.
The choice is yours
Personally I used to smoke premium smokes bought on the (native reserve) for 8.25 per pack at 1& 1/2 packs a day.
I build my own mods and DIY my own juice so for me Vaping is a lot cheeper than smoking used to be :)

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
I am new here and I am surely not the type to stir the pot, but something is bothering me. I see all these members with banners at the bottom explaining how much money they have saved thus far by not smoking, and vaping instead? I just have to shake my head and wonder what planet they come from.

Ten years ago I purchased a top of the line cigarette injector for $25. That same injector costs $35 right now, and it has been highly improved. I can buy top quality bulk tobacco wholesale on the internet, top quality filtered cigarette tubes, and produce world class cigarettes for just about $1.25 per pack. A few years ago it was less than a $1.00 per pack. These are first class top quality cigarettes, better than anything you can buy in any store. You can make them in any style or strength you like, regular or menthol.

A fumble fingered klutz with no practice can pump out one cigarette every 30 seconds, I can do 5 or 6 per minute, and I am kind of a klutz myself! I know poor people and rich people who make cigarettes this same way. Who still buys cigarettes in stores for $5 to $10 per pack? Seriously, who does that? Certainly not anyone with an IQ above 75.

Sorry you don't know what your doing, but stop acting like we don't, not everyone buys the tank or toy of the week.

My mod is 3 years old now, i dont need all the fancy new stuff as i use a mech, my wick and wire cost 15 dollars 8 months ago. I make a 16 cent coil about every 4-8 weeks and since I use silica I don't change my wick until I change a coil.

I finally treated myself to a new tank in Jan it was 21 bucks.
My new dripper was 11 in Feb. Some of my 6 dollar. 18650's are almost 2 years old.

My juice costs 16 dollars a pint and I go through approx one bottle a month.

Maybe quit buying every new toy that comes out. And 15 dollar an once juice,, Just cause you can't figure it out don't say everyone else can't either

Some how I don't think this comes close to the $300+ a month I spent on my fav brand @ 2 PAD

Last edited:

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
I didn't switch to RYO to save money, and I'd highly recommend any smokers unwilling to vape to switch as well, if your state mandates carpet glue/FSCs.
ALL states mandate FSC. It's the reason I started RYO. And it's the same reason I started vaping - not to save money, but because something started changing in the tubes that was very similar to the FSC. My body reacts VERY badly to some chemicals, and the FSCs are intolerable to me (I get hives and my throat swells up).

At this point, 4+ months of no smoking, I am delighted I made the switch and wishing I had done it sooner.

I'm doing DIY juice because I have such picky taste buds, but it is saving me money too.

As soon as I quit (or at least slow down) buying gear, I'm sure I'll start saving money, even tho I was RYO.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    In over 4 years of vaping, I never once exceeded what I had spent/month to smoke.
    I vaped all of 2014 without spending a single penny. ... not even for juice.
    Never did figure out how to do that with cigarettes ... not even ryo.
    So far in 2015, I've spent $150 bucks on two new PVs, because I wanted them ... not because I needed them.
    But, I've spent nothing else ... not even for juice.
    At my vape pace I will run out of supplies in January ...................... of 2099. ;)

OH, and before you call me a "cheap skate", I use Provaris' & Caravelas'.

mattiem

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    I kept track of my spending the first year. At the end of that year I had spent about $1300.00 less than I would have spent on smokes. Made a lot of mistakes (learning curve) that first year but still saved a significant amount.

So I would have to say, in my case, yes vaping costs less than smoking. I am down to spending just pennies a day now.

Noble Gas

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 12, 2014
    California
    • Deleted by sonicdsl
    • Reason: Inappropriate

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2013
    Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
    I am new here and I am surely not the type to stir the pot, but something is bothering me. I see all these members with banners at the bottom explaining how much money they have saved thus far by not smoking, and vaping instead? I just have to shake my head and wonder what planet they come from. ( SNIP)

If it bothers you, then don't read them, have a nice day...

WattWick

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 16, 2013
    Cold Norway
    This is very geopolitically dependent. Our sin taxes don't come with much bulk discount.* You can save a little with RYO, but that's about the extent of possible legal savings. Can't import tobacco without jumping through flaming hoops of legalese and paying a small fortune. Not sure if I could then, even.

*When others talk about using "cheap vodka" for cleaning - I can't help but smile a little. There is no such thing as cheap vodka over here. Only expensive vodka ranging from bad to good quality.

Reactions: beckdg

Rizzyking

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 15, 2013
    East Midlands, United Kingdom
    I was going to detail why my banner is correct but you know what I'm not because traderx your no one to me I don't have to prove or justify anything to you and from my personal perspective your the one that is clueless here patronisingly assuming none of us can work out things for ourselves. Cost is but one aspect of switching to vaping and not the major one, the fact your seemingly unable to understand that one basic fact means you lose all credibility to comment further and perhaps that's why you've failed to respond after your op.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread