Status
Not open for further replies.

TraceyS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2012
Blacksburg, Virginia
OK let's try this again, I've come here for help many times over the years. I have been vaping on a mechanical mod, my sweet spot is dual coils .50. I have been having battery problems and I now have a good source to check before purchasing now (thank you), I was one of the few who loved the RTD button top 18650's, they've not stocked them since Texas had the hurricane a few years ago and I believe they are no longer made, but I'm not sure. The ones I've purchased elsewhere where not the same.

What I am inquiring about are regulated mods. Instead of searching the internet for what is new in the last five years, I thought this would be a good place to start with the experts. Are you loving your regulated mod? I like a good throat hit and I chain vape.

Thanks for your suggestions, just seeing what is out there.

Tracey

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
What style are you looking for? Round cylinder type or more of a boxy or oblong type. Lightweigh? dont care, etc. If you want something that hits hard, has variable options to set your own wattage, I would suggest an Aegis. Either a 100W or the Aegis legend for reg sized types. If you want a smaller version that has an internal battery but also does the variable wattage maybe an Aegis Mini.

Any more info from you would be helpful for us to help you.

:)

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
For DL chain vapers a multi battery regulated mod is vastly superior duration wise. You get a more consistent vape over time, and can therefore use more of the battery you have while also having more batteries. A DL chain vaper will likely prefer a mod with a lot of battery. Triple 18650s or dual 2x700s to get an all day device.
There’s also TC which, if you’re willing to go through the trouble of dealing with its additional complications and actually getting it to work right, will extend the lives of wicks, cotton, and batteries, primarily because it effectively uses less total power.

Coil choice with regulated mods also becomes much more simple because the coil resistance is no longer the primary power determinator.
Safety is also a factor. Battery quality, size, and condition still need to be closely monitored, but a lot of basic dangers like accidental button presses are mitigated.

Last edited:

TraceyS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2012
Blacksburg, Virginia
What style are you looking for? Round cylinder type or more of a boxy or oblong type. Lightweigh? dont care, etc. If you want something that hits hard, has variable options to set your own wattage, I would suggest an Aegis. Either a 100W or the Aegis legend for reg sized types. If you want a smaller version that has an internal battery but also does the variable wattage maybe an Aegis Mini.

Any more info from you would be helpful for us to help you.

That's my problem :) I have searched online from vendors I've used in the past and I see so many new things! I do not know what I want, I was just wondering what the experts here liked and what works for them. Thank you for your suggestions, I'll be checking them all out.

Tracey

TraceyS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2012
Blacksburg, Virginia
For DL chain vapers a multi battery regulated mod is vastly superior duration wise. You get a more consistent vape over time, and can therefore use more of the battery you have while also having more batteries. A DL chain vaper will likely prefer a mod with a lot of battery. Triple 18650s or dual 2x700s to get an all day device.
There’s also TC which, if you’re willing to go through the trouble of dealing with its additional complications and actually getting it to work right, will extend the lives of wicks, cotton, and batteries, primarily because it effectively uses less total power.
Coil choice also becomes much more simple because the coil resistance is no longer the primary power determinator.
Safety is also a factor. Battery quality, size, and condition still need to be closely monitored, but a lot of basic dangers like accidental button presses are mitigated.

Thank you! I have been away from 'looking around' for many years and even some of the acronyms I do not understand :) Some of the local vapors here where I live are also using a dual battery set up. Another option, thank you.

Tracey

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Coil choice also becomes much more simple because the coil resistance is no longer the primary power determinator.
They may use more or bigger batteries but that only means a longer run time at a higher wattage. They are heavy and bulky, especially if someone has smaller hands.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Thank you! I have been away from 'looking around' for many years and even some of the acronyms I do not understand :) Some of the local vapors here where I live are also using a dual battery set up. Another option, thank you.

Tracey
If it helps TC is Temperature Control. The mod monitors changes in the resistance of the coil and uses that to approximate the wire temperature. These changes differ by metal type and not all metals even work at all so specific metal types are needed. The accuracy, behavior, and quality of TC varies greatly by device.
I personally liked the advantages of TC but couldn’t deal with the additional complication so I spent a good deal more money to get mods with an advanced chip that has a function called “replay” that simplifies things

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
Dual battery regulated mods are arguably better in that even if you don't need the extra power they will last a lot longer before a battery change.

It's difficult to advise you on exactly which mod because there are so many good ones out there. I use the Vaporesso Polar, Voopoo Drag, Vandy vape pulse X squonker (single battery), Lost vape Furyan squonker (single battery mech box). I have a few mech tube mods as well. What mech do you use?

If I were to pick won as best to start I would probably go with the vaporesso polar. I know a lot of the girls here like the asmodus brand also....but pricier but they do some lovely colours.

Good luck to you :)

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there

Tracey
Notice the Aegis 100 W uses a 26650 flat top battery which is bigger than the 18650's you have been using and the Aegis Legend uses 2 18650.
The 100 W means it may reach 100 watts but only for a few seconds. Besides other than newbies trying that high of a watt and are finding that is way too much to maintain plus can get really hot. Avg vaper does not go anyway near that high. Usually below 40 or 50 W

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

What I am inquiring about are regulated mods. Instead of searching the internet for what is new in the last five years, I thought this would be a good place to start with the experts. Are you loving your regulated mod? I like a good throat hit and I chain vape.

Tracey

I'm I loving my Regulated Mods? Absolutely!

I was a Mech Squonker for about a Year. But the Day I bought this...

Rig Mod WW x Hotcig RSQ 80W Squonk Box Mod | Vape Device

... was the Last Day I really used a Mech.

The Size is Very Compact. Can use a Multiple of Inexpensive Bottles. Does Temperature Control if you are into TC. Just a Great Mod all the way around.

If you are looking for a Non-Squonking Regulated Mod, there are about a Gazillion Choices. So to narrow it down, I would say what you are looking for in a Mod?

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Dual battery regulated mods are arguably better in that even if you don't need the extra power they will last a lot longer before a battery change.

It's difficult to advise you on exactly which mod because there are so many good ones out there. I use the Vaporesso Polar, Voopoo Drag, Vandy vape pulse X squonker (single battery), Lost vape Furyan squonker (single battery mech box). I have a few mech tube mods as well. What mech do you use?

If I were to pick won as best to start I would probably go with the vaporesso polar. I know a lot of the girls here like the asmodus brand also....but pricier but they do some lovely colours.

Good luck to you :)
I also have a Polar Mod and just got an asmodus Almightly mod which takes a 20700 battery(could not get a 21700 battery to fit and did not want to force it.)
Both of these are good mods. What do I use the most of all of my mods. The Aegis Brand. The menu is very straight forward and you use clicking of the fire button to cycle through different coil options and the clicking of the fire button plus the + - buttons to move between what is one the screen. Very easy and intuitive. The others require a bit of a learning curve. Plus the hit is harder( the pwm) is higher than most of the other mods out there. Other mods express this is being able to select S(oft) N(ormal) and H(ard) for this, like the vaporesso polar mod.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
OK let's try this again, I've come here for help many times over the years. I have been vaping on a mechanical mod, my sweet spot is dual coils .50. I have been having battery problems and I now have a good source to check before purchasing now (thank you), I was one of the few who loved the RTD button top 18650's, they've not stocked them since Texas had the hurricane a few years ago and I believe they are no longer made, but I'm not sure. The ones I've purchased elsewhere where not the same.

Tracey
Another thing I wanted to mention is that throat hit comes mostly through the strength of your nicotine. You can chain vape on most of the mods today dependant on how fast your coils wick the juice. So that part of your requirement should not change from the mechs. The only change I see would be if you wanted to try other types of metal for temp control(TC). ie. Stainless steel(SS), Titanium(TI) or Nickle(NI). If you purchase or make you own coils now you know the types. Kanthal, And Nichrome in power mode only(not temp controlled) and SS can be used in both power mode or SS(temp) mode.

Last edited:

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
OK let's try this again, I've come here for help many times over the years. I have been vaping on a mechanical mod, my sweet spot is dual coils .50.

I am assuming you mean dual coils with a final resistance of 0.50 (not 2 0.50 ohm coils with a final resistance of 0.25), if so that means you are vaping around 35watts (on full batteries). Therefore pretty much anything on the market these days is more than capable of putting that out with a single or dual battery. Of course you will get more life out of a dual battery. Any battery off of Mooch's list should be fine. Even if you bumped up to 40 watts on a single battery you would only need a 12.5A battery so you could go with a higher mAh lower Amp rated battery for even longer life. I would probably go with a 20A battery.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
TraceyS said: What I am inquiring about are regulated mods. Instead of searching the internet for what is new in the last five years, I thought this would be a good place to start with the experts. Are you loving your regulated mod? I like a good throat hit and I chain vape.

I also like the Jac Vapour DNA75w. It's in my daily rotation.

SERIES-B DNA 75W Vape Mod | Vape Mods | JAC Vapour | JAC Vapour

The benefit from a regulated mod is that you get consistent vape levels throughout the mod's battery life. The electronics keep the vape level up as battery voltage drops. With a mech, you can vape from 4.2v down to about 3.7v and get a decent vape, but the vape quality declines as battery voltage drops. There's no consistency in the vape unless you swap cells when the vape quality begins to drop.

There's little or nothing lost by changing to a modern regulated mod. You get consistent vapes, long battery life, features such as temp control, and SAFETY! I capitalized safety because it's a huge feature of regulatedd mods. if the coil shorts, the mod just shuts down and tells you. You don't get your name in the news and you don't have to recover from burns or worse calamities.

Regulated mods today are safer, have longer battery life than mechs, and offer more ways to enjoy your vape. Personally, I don't see an advantage for a mech mod other than it's a minimalist novelty way to vape.

Last edited:

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I could be here all day suggesting mods I own and love that might work for you. I have around 30 so far, and I’m happy with them all.

I’d say narrow the field with price range first, then features, then form.

There are a lot of TC mods - you can get them without, but you can use the ones that have it in power mode, so don’t worry they’ll be too complicated. There are videos that’ll walk you through the menus.

Some single battery mods should be fine for you. I can get all day on a Colossal at 30w, and it’s much smaller than a dual battery mod, if that appeals to you.

But of course, a dual will last you longer. Some are lighter, smaller, than others. Is this important to you?

And I think style is somewhat important to us all, nobody wants an ugly vape, but it’s really subjective.

You might look through the mod forum and see if anything there looks good to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread