Level with me- Kayfun Lite + worth the dough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceCreamMan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2014
Wilmington, NC
To cite... Here is how it is done-

KFL+ V2 material: 304 stainless steel, Polycarbonate
Kayfun Lite plus

Russian91% - All high quality solid stainless steel 316
The Russian 91%

What’s the difference between 304 and 316 stainless steel?

The simple answer is 304 contains 18% chromium and 8% nickel while 316 contains 16% chromium, 10% nickel and 2% molybdenum. The molybdenum is added to help resist corrosion to chlorides (like sea water and de-icing salts).
http://www.nemaenclosures.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/stainless-steel-corrosion.pdf

So if I had to decide based on the manufactures claims it would seem to go in direct contradiction with what internet guy is saying with any cite.

;)

Fair points.

I suppose I appreciate the highest quality metal because I like the thought that a couple of my atomizers could last over a decade. Is that practical? To me, yes. If you (or anyone else) say it means nothing to you, I get that, too. Does it make it "better"...I think it does. I spend a fair amount of time on the Chesapeake Bay, and I see what happens to lesser metals in that environment!

The question is, does that offset the cost in money or lost features of the 91....

Roaring thunderously via Tapatalk...

So which is the highest quality metal between the two?

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
So which is the highest quality metal between the two?

First of all, this is not the product (KFL+ gen 2) he was talking about...so this citation is not entirely applicable. Second, I didn't ask Xfoo for a citation, which he very well could have provided. I stated very clearly in my post that it was merely another's word on this from the start. I don't have a KFL+ gen 2. I have an original KFL, and a KFL+ original.

Are they the same? I dunno, but the finish does look different on the new ones.

Miata GT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2013
Largo, FL
My post will sound about the same as most people's here. I bought a real KFL+ as my first because I wanted to experience the real deal. It truly is an awesome device!

I've since bought three clones of the KFL+' a TOBECO and 2 EHPROs. The TOBECO was garbage but the EHPROs have both been as good as the original. For me, I'm glad I bought a real one first because I wanted to know how good it could be up front.

Last edited:

IceCreamMan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2014
Wilmington, NC
To cite... Here is how it is done-

KFL+ V2 material: 304 stainless steel, Polycarbonate
Kayfun Lite plus

Russian91% - All high quality solid stainless steel 316
The Russian 91%

What’s the difference between 304 and 316 stainless steel?

The simple answer is 304 contains 18% chromium and 8% nickel while 316 contains 16% chromium, 10% nickel and 2% molybdenum. The molybdenum is added to help resist corrosion to chlorides (like sea water and de-icing salts).
http://www.nemaenclosures.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/stainless-steel-corrosion.pdf

So if I had to decide based on the manufactures claims it would seem to go in direct contradiction with what internet guy is saying with any cite.

;)

First of all, this is not the product (KFL+ gen 2) he was talking about...so this citation is not entirely applicable. Second, I didn't ask Xfoo for a citation, which he very well could have provided. I stated very clearly in my post that it was merely another's word on this from the start. I don't have a KFL+ gen 2. I have an original KFL, and a KFL+ original.

Are they the same? I dunno, but the finish does look different on the new ones.

Kayfun Lite- material: 304 stainless steel, Polycarbonate
Kayfun Lite - Kayfun Lite

Kayfun V3.1- materials: stainless steel, Polycarbonate
Kayfun V3.1 ES brushed - Kayfun 3.1

The V3.1 does not specify what grade stainless, but between the KFL, KFL+V2, & the R91 according to the manufactures specs the R91 is the one made of the highest grade of stainless. Unless you, him or anyone else has proof otherwise then this is no longer even a question.

;)

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
I actually prefer the 3.1 ES form factor. I like the side mounted airflow adjustment since I don't have to remove the head to adjust airflow. I also like the 510 connector adjustment. Don't like the fill hole, as it is dodge and requires a very specific syringe tip. I top fill so it's not an issue for me.

I wish the 3.1 ES were still being made. I might have to give the KFL+ a run though. When I can find them in stock in the US. Cloud 9 in the UK has them, but I'm not sure what the total US cost would be with shipping.

EddardinWinter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
Kayfun Lite- material: 304 stainless steel, Polycarbonate
Kayfun Lite - Kayfun Lite

Kayfun V3.1- materials: stainless steel, Polycarbonate
Kayfun V3.1 ES brushed - Kayfun 3.1

The V3.1 does not specify what grade stainless, but between the KFL, KFL+V2, & the R91 according to the manufactures specs the R91 is the one made of the highest grade of stainless. Unless you, him or anyone else has proof otherwise then this is no longer even a question.

;)

Hmmm. Really?

A2 / 304 Stainless Steel Is One Of The Most Highly Corrosion-Resistant Materials Available To The Designer And Engineer.

A4 Grades Of Stainless Steel Are Usually Reserved For Use In Highly Caustic Environments Where Improved Resistance To Pitting Corrosion Is Required, i.e Marine & Exhausts.
Pitting Corrosion Occures Once The Chromium Becomes Exhausted Through Self-Passivation After Caustic Attack - The Effects Are Usually Local To The Exposed Areas. The Pitting Forms As The Iron Atoms Become Exposed To Oxygen And Oxidise To Form 'Rust'.

Source:

Stainless Steel BASIC Information
http://www.volksbolts.com/faq/basics.htm

IceCreamMan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2014
Wilmington, NC
Hmmm. Really?

A2 / 304 Stainless Steel Is One Of The Most Highly Corrosion-Resistant Materials Available To The Designer And Engineer.

A4 Grades Of Stainless Steel Are Usually Reserved For Use In Highly Caustic Environments Where Improved Resistance To Pitting Corrosion Is Required, i.e Marine & Exhausts.
Pitting Corrosion Occures Once The Chromium Becomes Exhausted Through Self-Passivation After Caustic Attack - The Effects Are Usually Local To The Exposed Areas. The Pitting Forms As The Iron Atoms Become Exposed To Oxygen And Oxidise To Form 'Rust'.

Source:

So 304 stainless which the Kayfun IS made of is more highly corrosion resistant than 316 stainless that the R91 is made of?... lol might what to look into that a little more.

IceCreamMan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2014
Wilmington, NC

EddardinWinter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
You do under stand that the 316 or A4 is what the R91 is made of right?

Understand is one word. Do you understand that?

I don't care enough to debate this with you. Go find Xfoo and pick your fight with him since this seems to be a virtual crusade for you.

From the start, I represented this assertion as his, not mine. I am no metallurgy expert. I concede my layman status. Even if you are right, however, you have been absurdly rude in your posts about this for no apparent reason at all.

IceCreamMan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2014
Wilmington, NC
Sorry if you feel I am being rude, but posting unfounded info as fact really bothers me as well. There is no need to debate... That is what the citation is for. If the truth upsets you that much maybe you should be more cautious when playing the "pass the secret game" with thing you heard on the internet.

EddardinWinter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
Sorry if you feel I am being rude, but posting unfounded info as fact really bothers me as well. There is no need to debate... That is what the citation is for. If the truth upsets you that much maybe you should be more cautious when playing the "pass the secret game" with thing you heard on the internet.

I have no problem with truth.

Here is what I do have a problem with:

You are personalizing a fight with me over something I attributed to another's post, and provided the link to it. You are also misrepresenting what I said.

I never pretended it was a fact. I was absolutely clear on that from my initial post. Just because I cannot provide citations certainly does not make it "unfounded", either.

You wanna argue, go find Xfoo.

darkgear

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Islands in the middle of the sea
To the OP,

Level with me- Kayfun Lite + worth the dough?

No, it's not. Unfortunately, it has to be part of the vaping journey since so many people relate to it and enjoy the vape from it.

Get one. Get a real one if you can find one and your budget allows.

It's a good stepping stone from PT's.

IceCreamMan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2014
Wilmington, NC
I have no problem with truth.Here is what I do have a problem with:You are personalizing a fight with me over something I attributed to another's post, and provided the link to it. You are also misrepresenting what I said.I never pretended it was a fact. I was absolutely clear on that from my initial post. Just because I cannot provide citations certainly does not make it "unfounded", either.You wanna argue, go find Xfoo.Roaring thunderously via Tapatalk...
I sincerely apologize if you have taken it personally. My problem is not with you, but the info you shared. Yourself as well as a mod placed Xfoo on a pedestal of higher authority in the vaping world and as such treated what he said as it should not be questioned... Or at least that is the way I took it.I read the link you provided and Xfoo was flat wrong with the unfounded info he posted. You shared this info & the disinformation was continued from that thread to this one. I pointed this out & provided citation from both manufactures as such. One final point and I will leave it alone. If anyone, not just you personally, cannot provide citations or proof, it certainly does make it "unfounded".un·found·edˌənˈfoundid/adjective1.having no foundation or basis in fact."her persistent fear that she had cancer was unfounded"synonyms: groundless, baseless, unsubstantiated, unproven, unsupported, uncorroborated, unconfirmed, unverified, unattested, unjustified, without basis, without foundation; Moreantonyms: proven

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
I sincerely apologize if you have taken it personally. My problem is not with you, but the info you shared. Yourself as well as a mod placed Xfoo on a pedestal of higher authority in the vaping world and as such treated what he said as it should not be questioned... Or at least that is the way I took it.I read the link you provided and Xfoo was flat wrong with the unfounded info he posted. You shared this info & the disinformation was continued from that thread to this one. I pointed this out & provided citation from both manufactures as such. One final point and I will leave it alone. If anyone, not just you personally, cannot provide citations or proof, it certainly does make it "unfounded".un·found·edˌənˈfoundid/adjective1.having no foundation or basis in fact."her persistent fear that she had cancer was unfounded"synonyms: groundless, baseless, unsubstantiated, unproven, unsupported, uncorroborated, unconfirmed, unverified, unattested, unjustified, without basis, without foundation; Moreantonyms: proven

Gawd I should take that thing off my avatar area. I'm a mini mod. Only in that one tiny section of the forum. ;)
If you ever got to know X like we have, he does have a boatload of knowledge. Yes, I also call him a friend.

If he has made a mistake, I'm sure he would acknowledge that he did.

I just vouched for the fact that he is a very intelligent guy.

Sorry if I came off wrong. :)

Peace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread