May 1, 2008
Shenzhen, Guangdong, China

YouTube - LitecigUSA's DSE-601 e-Pipe Video Review and Demo
Name: LitecigUSA e-Pipe
Category: e-Pipe
Price: $79.95
Warranty/Guarantee: 6 Months
Overall Rating: 4
Pros: Monstrous vapor and easy draw, long battery and cartridge life, bargain price, realistic appearance.
Cons: Some whistling, difficult to change battery, realistic appearance.

Atomizer Performance: 4.5
1- Smoke; 5
2- Draw; 4
Battery Performance: 4.5
1- Switch; 4
2- Battery life; 5
Overall reliability and performance: 4
Appearance/design: 3
Customer Service Experience: Limited experience. Fast and friendly service, order shipped quickly.
Contents: Standard set: One atomizer (pipe body), two batteries, EU charger, US adapter, two mouthpieces, 3 cartridges.
Extras: None
Battery charging times:

Narrative review: I’ve been curious about e-Pipes from the start, but always held off for a number of reasons. One was the form factor. I couldn’t see me carrying around a pipe, it would be awkward to use while working, etc. Another reason was the draw, I expected an e-pipe would be like a cigar, and you’d have to puff on it rather than just inhale. Last was the cost. Only the e-cig.com model looked reasonable, the rest were as expensive as a premium e-cig, and if I was going to spend that much I’d go with a form factor I KNEW I liked.

LitecigUSA’s e-Pipe interested me because of the low price. At $79.95 it’s much more attractive than any others on the market. And the light easy draw really surprised me. Instead of puffing and pulling, it’s actually a lighter draw than the generic RN4072s! About a 4, just a bit harder than a Janty or Sedansa. And the vapor output is, of course, truly outstanding. Monstrous, really! It’s not just a 5, but a 5 plus! If you smoke high strength e-liquid with this it will blow your freaking skull off! :shock: I have so far only dared smoke low strength in it, and it still quite often leaves me reeling after a few hits.

Battery life is of course also much better than a penstyle. I haven’t pushed the batteries to depletion yet, but I have gone 18 hours on a charge before vapor declined. And one cartridge will last me all day. On the other hand, at one 4ml cartridge a day, I actually went through twice as much liquid as I usually do with a penstyle, so all that vapor will burn through your liquid fast.

The cartridges, BTW, work very efficiently. I didn’t squeeze the depleted cartridges, because I refilled them, but they were very dry appearing, and I did refill around 3 or 4ml, so I do think you get most of the liquid out of them.

The switch has a short delay after you draw on it, about a half second or so before the atomizer activates. And performance in general can be a bit unreliable; I get a poor hit every once in a while. Of course a poor hit on this is “only” getting a 4 compared to a 5+, but still, reliability is this model’s only real flaw in performance. J

Appearance and build quality wise, there are no color or finish options, but it is very attractive, so I would give it a 4 for appearance. But, the appearance score also includes the design and build quality, and it has what I consider a serious design flaw, regarding the battery cover.

The little fake gem lid is damn hard to get on and off, because there’s nothing to put pressure against when you turn it. Your fingers tend to just slide without turning the lid. You’ve got to figure the typical e-pipe smoker is going to be of the older generation. Younger generations haven’t typically been drawn to pipes, so e-pipes will likely be the same. So if a relative youngster like me is having trouble, how about someone with arthritis?

Plus, when you do get the lid off, there’s a tiny lever you have to slide over the battery, while also pushing the battery down into place. Again, hard enough for me, someone with arthritis or other motor control problems will find it way too frustrating, and that costs it a point. So, I only give it a 3 total for appearance and design. There was also an annoying whistle when using one battery, but not the other.

I haven’t tried any other e-Pipes, but they have a reputation of needing to be dripped, of having a hard draw, and otherwise not being satisfying. This model challenges that reputation, and smashes it. With a larger atomizer and larger battery and cartridge, more vapor and longer life is to be expected. But the easy draw was a surprise, and the cartridges have proven very efficient. I still can’t see myself carrying it around often, but for home use, it’s going to become a staple for me. With high performance and a bargain price, it’s highly recommended if you want or are curious about an e-pipe.

Nazareth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2008
USA
Taste- I found the pipe I use has a 'wooden' taste that I assu8me comes from the wood construction & quite frankly, is off-putting to me- A few drags & hte flavor stays with me hte whole day- I've tried several different liquids, but still get that taste- I'd vape hte pipe more except I don't like hte aftertaste from the wood.

Also, you can looson the screw o nthe slider arm and to remove battery- just push battery down while holding pipe at angle & the arm will swing freely to the side so battery can slide out

leaford

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 1, 2008
Bond- No, there's no way to remove the atomizer, and I haven't a clue the best way to clean it.

Naz- I haven't noticed a woody taste. The atomizer chamber has a metal sleeve inside. Did yours? I would have assumed so.

As to loosening the slider arm, mine loosened itself when I dropped it, and it seemed to have less power until I tightened it by bending it back down. It seems to need a tight contact.

Bond_ James Bond

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2008
USA
woody taste? that is strange. also did u buy your pipe from me bond? if it was from me i would have no problem shipping out a brand new atomizer as that having the woody taste just isnt supposed to be.
Well Shawn, I did get my pipe from you, but I am not the one with the problem. my pipe works well.
at the beginning there was a trace of wood flavor but it didn't bother me.
I use it every night for over a week and it is great !

leaford

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 1, 2008
Yeah, sorry, but my camera doesn't have a mic jack. THe problm is that the microphone is on the other side, to record comments from the shooter. SO it's facing away from me. ANd the walls in my building are thin, and I usually shoot early in the am after I get off work, so I'm a bit timid about speaking too loud. I'll try to speak up more next time. :(

But at least Mike's behind me in this arrangement, so he won't be closer to the mic than I am anymore. :)

shawnp1

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
hey bond or 007 lol. im glad u are happy with the pipe. i personally didnt experience the wood taste as did leaford but it has gone so that is good. i am glad u enjoy it. as always any problems please get in touch with me an we will get them takin care of asap. also i hope i shipped u some extra carts or something with the pipe i usually try to always throw a little something in extra for free :)

Mr.Darcy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 16, 2008
UK
looks good leaford...pity nobody in the UK sells reasonably priced,good epipes...pillboxs one is far too expensive...all the rest are in mainland europe...

having a warranty is all very well,but the waiting,shipping costs-especially something like an epipe-and expense of getting stuff from there to here under guarantee isnt worth the hassle...otherwise id have bought a partypipe long ago...

its a shame they cant make an epipe with cheap replacement atomisers,instead of having to buy the whole kit...that design is wasteful and stupid...

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
Battery life is of course also much better than a penstyle. I haven’t pushed the batteries to depletion yet, but I have gone 18 hours on a charge before vapor declined. And one cartridge will last me all day. On the other hand, at one 4ml cartridge a day, I actually went through twice as much liquid as I usually do with a penstyle, so all that vapor will burn through your liquid fast.

not surprising u think u get thru more quid is it.. they hold 2 ml not 4 ml..

we also managed only six or seven hours from a battery as well not eighteen..

i think me and u really do live on different planets.. the planet leaford and the planet trog..

i have syringed hundreds of pipe carts by the way so i know whats in them..

with battery life your usage must differ one hell of lot from our usage me getting 8 and u getting 18 needs some explaining

thats three users at my end not just me.. u must be very light user or my lot very heavy users.. we smoked nothing but pipes for two months..

get your cart content right and your liquid usage is about the same.. pen style 1 ml.. pipe 2 ml..

i can only guess u got your content figures from e-cig.com who also get it wrong and say 4 ml.. its 2 ml..

trog

ps.. why our findings differ so much does puzzle me thow.. a review from me would paint a different picture than one from u.. odd..

Last edited:

Mr.Darcy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 16, 2008
UK
if u are close to the netherlands u could order one from LITECIG debbie is the owner of the franchise over there. that is the closest i can think of that might be a little cheaper for u since u say the others are too expensive. hope this helps if not atleast i tried
if i was going to order from europe,id be buying a partypipe...but thanks for trying to help...its not your fault mate,its the english channels...;)

Trog,i can only assume leaford uses it for the occasional puff in that time,and you and yours use it full on constantly,with no let up-like i would...

as you know-better than anyone-no ecig battery could last 18 hours constant straight usage without recharge,or anywhere near that...not even the mighty screwdriver...

leaford

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 1, 2008
I don't find it at all hard to believe you use them up faster than me Trog. We can't all have your troll-like tolerance. ;) ;)

As I said in the review, even using the low strength carts, I was ODing after 2 or 3 puffs in a row, and would have to put it down. (Plus, of course I was at work part of that time and couldn't pick it up as often as I could a penstyle.) So I'm sure you don't get as much time out of one as I do.

But so what?

Battery life is a function of how often you puff. No surprise there. Puff counts are the only objective measure, but only if all puffs are equal length, and the e-Pipe doesn't have a convenient 5-second cutoff to time that. So, I reported how long it lasted. Subjective data is better than none.

But thanks for the cartridge correction. Good to know it's more economical on the liquid than it seems when you're watching the bottle draining away. :D

Last edited:

Bond_ James Bond

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2008
USA
hey bond or 007 lol. im glad u are happy with the pipe. i personally didnt experience the wood taste as did leaford but it has gone so that is good. i am glad u enjoy it. as always any problems please get in touch with me an we will get them takin care of asap. also i hope i shipped u some extra carts or something with the pipe i usually try to always throw a little something in extra for free :)
Yes Shawn, I did receive from you extra carts and I can only say great things about your prompt response to every mail I sent you and the very fast shipment and delivery of the pipe (+ the extras... :) ).
Thank again . It is very assuring to know that you are supporting your customers and care about your products !

justrubl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2008
Houston, Texas, United States
I finally did it. I broke down and ordered a pipe and a cigar from litecigusa. thanks to the video review here it helped solidify my decision. Thank you for that review. I have tried a pen, a mini, a supermini, the kissbox, and the great white from Jane. I have had wonderful experience with the distributors, especially Steve (puresoker) and Jeff (janty), and they are wonderful but I just can't get the consistent performance I need to finally kick the real cigs, and it makes me able to get my kick at work. I am a nurse and the hospitals here (Houston) are making it where you cannot smoke anywhere on the property and it is really hard to get the break you would need to walk off the property to smoke. But with the e-cig I can get one when I go to the bathroom. I love the concept but I have just had so much trouble and I am hoping the pipe and the cigar will help. I am thinking I will use the pipe at home and the cigar while at work. This forum has been awsome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread