The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Lounge Lizards / Misfits / Free Thinkers / Bohemians & the Forgotten :: Young at Heart Only

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Uncle Willie, Jul 5, 2017.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. DavidOck

DavidOck ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Uh, only if the grocer has filed and gotten through the PMTA process, tomatoes contain nic, after all. :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  2. Janet H

Janet H Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 3, 2011
    PA
    I was pretty leary of not having an agitator, but it does seem to do a pretty good job on our clothes. I guess they went this route due to complaints of clothes getting tangled up up in the agitator? That's just my guess. My dryer works fine, but it's so deep I have to practically crawl in to get out the socks in the back. Actually, since I got the large tub, anyone shorter than me would need a stool to reach down to the bottom! I could fit 2 of my grandsons in it! Hmmm, our one grandson is the messiest eater I've ever seen. I've threatened to feed him outside in a kiddie pool and just hose him down afterward. Maybe he'd like to take a ride in the washer?

And Willie, it's not just the washer/dryers that take longer than the old ones. It's the dishwashers too! 2 hours 15 minutes to do a load of dishes? These machines are all supposed to be energy efficient, but isn't it less efficient if it runs twice as long?

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Flowersoul

Flowersoul Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 20, 2009
    NE Florida
    I'm on the short side and do I ever have a problem getting those clothes out, especially if there is one lone sock! I have to get on my tippy toes, bend over and I do swear that half of my body is in that tub!

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. DavidOck

Supporting member
    Maybe both at the same time, otherwise you'll throw it out of balance :)

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Uncle Willie

Uncle Willie Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I don't have any real issue with my non-agitator model .. it does have some tech as well .. somehow, it weighs the load, determines water needed and a few other things .. but it does demand "special" cleaning detergent .. I don't think I can just dump some regular Tide in it like the old days .. my dryer is a front load and somehow senses dryness, alerting me as to when it's done ..

I won't use dryer sheets .. I don't care for a smell and on towels / dishcloths / etc, I think dryer sheets impart some sort of coating to fabric which makes the fabric less absorbent ..

And yes, that new dishwasher I installed a year or two ago does take longer, by far, than the old one .. but, the new one is super quiet .. I can barely hear it run .. sadly, I'm one of those people that practically wash dishes / pots / pans / silverware in advance of loading the machine, I guess because I don't trust it .. I see these commercials where people drop in a nasty roast pan and it comes out sparkling clean .. really .. ??

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Nermal

Nermal Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 8, 2013
    Farmington, NM USA
    Of course not! They're just for women to mark their territory. If a woman gets close and kind of sniffs you, she's checking for fabric softener. She gets the scent - she knows you're married, or something.

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Like Like x 2
  7. MikeE3

MikeE3 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 23, 2011
    Skippack, PA
    Dryer sheets work good for getting bug splats off the front of your car/truck. BUT ... they're also know to remove wax and some other factory protective finishes. So use cautiously (or not at all).

• Informative Informative x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Janet H

Supporting member
    Sep 3, 2011
    PA
    My nasty roasting pans rarely come out like they show on TV, but I refuse to wash dishes before putting them in the dishwasher. I just rinse the chunks off the dishes and stick them in. Of course if I do put a pan in there and it doesn't come out the way I want it just gets washed by hand.

• Like Like x 8
  9. Janet H

Supporting member
    Sep 3, 2011
    PA
    It's funny, but one day while trying to reach some socks in the washer I thought of you!! I was wondering how shorter people than me handle getting out clothes on the bottom and you came to mind. Have you ever seen those grabber things? You know, for picking stuff up from high places or from the floor so you don't have to bend over? We have one of those and I think it might just come in handy for reaching into the back of the dryer. It's long so it probably would be awkward for the washer, but maybe something shorter but long enough to snag some clothes?

• Like Like x 6
    • Creative Creative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Anise

Anise Vaping Master ECF Veteran

May 11, 2016
    Southern Louisiana USA
    Good morning everyone! I hope everyone has a good day today!

Its currently 69 with a high of 75 forecast. Finally a day of nice weather!

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. DavidOck

Supporting member
    A cheap tennis ball (Dollar store) works as well as the sheets, no smell and reuseable :)

Snow continues to remain mostly above us, both in elevation and as in further north. Most is actually north of Seattle, although the Olympic Peninsula, as is normal, is also getting covered. But finally starting to get some snow pack, so no complaints, even if it does come further south. Temps a nice, toasty 36 :)

• Like Like x 11
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Uncle Willie

Hola .. :)

Deep freeze coming .. some forecasts show Monday/Tuesday night down to 7o ..

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  13. Diver9543

Diver9543 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Feb 26, 2015
    Oklahoma City, OK, USA
    Nancy always used the dishwasher after handwashing. She said that it sterilized the dishes cutting down on germs and helping to keep everyone free from colds. It didn't do a darn thing for sinus problems!

I've said this for years, however, I never met a woman who agreed with me. It's a conspiracy I tell ya, a conspiracy!!!

I just couldn't "like" your post uncle so I chose "informative".

Jerry

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 3
  14. misswish1

misswish1 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 24, 2014
    NM
    Hubby brought a grabber for us after he caught Mom trying to use a meat fork in the washer, lol. I've been known to use a wooden spoon, tongs, duster handle. The grabber works much better!

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  15. yiddleboge6

yiddleboge6 ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 25, 2012
    PA
    'Afternoon everyone...

[​IMG]

Your forecast is only a degree or two off from what mine is, but thankfully haven't seen any showing a possible 7 degrees...:eek:

• Like Like x 9
  16. MikeE3

MikeE3 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 23, 2011
    Skippack, PA
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Winner Winner x 4
  17. Uncle Willie

What does the Scarlett Letter treatment mean .. ?? :confused:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. Janet H

Supporting member
    Sep 3, 2011
    PA
    Just seemed to make more sense to answer immediately following your comments rather than answering at the bottom where sometimes it's necessary to refer to your comments above. I often do it this way when answering emails with several subjects. A friend or 2 will reply back in a different color and sometimes the email gets pretty colorful.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. yiddleboge6

yiddleboge6 ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 25, 2012
    PA
    I've been following the comments about appliances... I'd be grateful to have any of them...The only dishwasher I've had for more than two decades has been my two hands and the kitchen sink...;)

As for laundry, I have a very small portable washer with two tubs. One has an agitator for wash and rinse, and the second tub to spin most of the water out. It can only do a few things at a time so laundry is an all day task, and everything is dried on a fold up rack in my kitchen...

Back when I owned an actual washer and dryer, it was my husband, not I, who would use not one, but a fistful of dryer sheets in his laundry...:rolleyes: On the rare occasions he opted to do a load of towels there was always a battle over them, for the reason Willie gave....dryer sheets reduce absorbency and I didn't want them used.

Interesting...I'm allergic to house dust and used to use them with the dryer set on no heat with my down pillows for that reason...never heard of using them for other purposes..

• Like Like x 8
  20. Uncle Willie

O-Tay .. :) .. I thought maybe I had written something that you were yelling at me about .. :eek:

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 2