Lounge Lizards / Misfits / Free Thinkers / Bohemians & the Forgotten :: Young at Heart Only

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Eyeah! I'm 76 with diabetes. Two weeks after registering with NM DOH, the appointment section still shows not available. If this is a joke, someone has a very sick sense of humor.

There only 'few' places I found taking reservations are still limited to health care and front line workers. Here in PA technically Janet and I qualify to get it 'now' because of age. I suppose those few places that have it are limiting it to those who need it most.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
I've written in the past about the coming of Rosie the Maid .. it's closer than you may think ::

Let me know when there's a model available that will clear the dinner table, do the dishes, clear the driveway of snow, mow the lawn, rake the leaves and I'd be interested.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Thanks for not stealing all the snow David ... wer'e white again, and it's still coming down ..3am.
So pretty, lov'n it.
View attachment 927745

Well, then, you should be happy, since we didn't steal it again ;) More rain, and unless it really takes a turn from the north, looks to stay that way.

Dang, after a week (or more, it's been a while...) with our HMO site being bonkers, finally got through for appointments for our first covid stick. For Sunday. We're both over 70, and WA was opened up for us several weeks back, been trying for nearly that long. Guess they weren't set up for so much traffic!

2050890.gif

Storm52

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2014
Shreveport, LA
With two military bases (Barksdale and Ft. Polk), a rather large health care footprint, 10% of the population over 70, a limited number of vaccine available, and a surprising number of willing participants to get the vaccine; it will be some time before the next group has the opportunity to apply. My thinking is to get all first responders, teachers and school support staff, food and beverage workers, and all essential workers vaccinated. I'm okay waiting my turn.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
Whoa, at this stage she's pretty creepy. Actually, why can't they just be useful instead of lifelike?

Hola .. :)

Well, the evolution of the Robotic human has been going on for some time now .. functional, task based 'droids have a fairly long history, with the auto industry, etc. And, have filtered down to simple tasks such as Roombas and other things .. even the Fast food industry will / has moved in that direction on repetitive tasks ..

Yet, the Holy Grail of Robotics is the lifelike reproduction of a Human as closely as possible, a la "Westworld" .. that can perform a great number of tasks and has A.I. that will allow them to learn .. and, fit into the Environment as unobtrusively as possible ..

The Market for this tech is likely huge, once it reaches a degree of, shall we say, Humanity .. melding tech like Siri / Alexis (which are both a step in the Evolution)

The goal is really to provide a lifelike Companion, Home Care Giver, personal 'Droid, Maid, Cook, etc .. that will perform a number of tasks and, er, be a Companion .. one that never gets old, can be updated with firmware, will follow your command, and, even if slightly creepy, will begin to quickly ingratiate itself to the user .. even going down to, dare I say, the Sex industry ..

The A.I. is already all around us .. fairly fragmented .. the mechanics of it as far as physical parts and what not are within reach .. we, even in our remaining lifetimes, may see the infancy of this Brave New World begin to take hold ..

When I was young, the concept of a TV that was hung on a wall was the realm of Sci Fi and Fantasy, and we all know how that went ..

Thanks, Janet, for allowing my brain to stretch a bit this morning over coffee .. :)

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
With two military bases (Barksdale and Ft. Polk), a rather large health care footprint,

I took my Army Basic Training at Fort Polk in the 1960's .. we had 2 recruits die of heat stroke in that long ago August, schleping pounds of gear and a rifle through that Louisiana heat and humidity ..

I had a drill sergeant that was apparently, made of old beef jerky and was relentless, rightfully so to prepare us for what was to come ..

Oh, the stories I could tell about Leesville ..

But, if you could take Fort Polk, you could take Vietnam ..

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA

Well, the evolution of the Robotic human has been going on for some time now .. functional, task based 'droids have a fairly long history, with the auto industry, etc. And, have filtered down to simple tasks such as Roombas and other things .. even the Fast food industry will / has moved in that direction on repetitive tasks ..

Yet, the Holy Grail of Robotics is the lifelike reproduction of a Human as closely as possible, a la "Westworld" .. that can perform a great number of tasks and has A.I. that will allow them to learn .. and, fit into the Environment as unobtrusively as possible ..

The Market for this tech is likely huge, once it reaches a degree of, shall we say, Humanity .. melding tech like Siri / Alexis (which are both a step in the Evolution)

The goal is really to provide a lifelike Companion, Home Care Giver, personal 'Droid, Maid, Cook, etc .. that will perform a number of tasks and, er, be a Companion .. one that never gets old, can be updated with firmware, will follow your command, and, even if slightly creepy, will begin to quickly ingratiate itself to the user .. even going down to, dare I say, the Sex industry ..

The A.I. is already all around us .. fairly fragmented .. the mechanics of it as far as physical parts and what not are within reach .. we, even in our remaining lifetimes, may see the infancy of this Brave New World begin to take hold ..

When I was young, the concept of a TV that was hung on a wall was the realm of Sci Fi and Fantasy, and we all know how that went ..

Thanks, Janet, for allowing my brain to stretch a bit this morning over coffee .. :)

I agree, new technology takes time to develop so it creeps up on us. That way we don't freak out about it. (So far Alexa still creeps me out.)

Our kids are 40 and 42 now and over the years we've had some interesting conversations about changes we've seen in our lifetimes and now what they're starting to see in theirs. I remember telling our son that I wouldn't be at all surprised if one day he would vacation on the moon or another planet or see flying cars. He didn't think so. As much as I lament that our grandkids can't know the freedoms of our childhood, it's fun to imagine what changes they'll be seeing in their lifetimes. They already don't know what a desk phone is and can't read cursive.

FranC

Long time vaper.
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    BTW, have snow, will snow ..

Al Roker this AM looked like some pretty cold air in the New England area ..
    Pretty cold? We have 4 single number nights coming up with rather chilly days.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 27, 2011
    Thanks for not stealing all the snow David ... wer'e white again, and it's still coming down ..3am.
    So pretty, lov'n it.

I can't say I love it, but todays snow around here is the pretty snow .. light wind, big wet flakes drifting down .. I went out earlier and broomed off the truck, put some cardboard sheets on the windshield as it appears it's going to be on for a while ..

531c180912a60.image.jpg

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 7, 2016
    Florida
    Yesterday my county announced vaccines available for my age group. Starting at exactly 3pm you could book an appointment online as long as vaccines were available. By 3:11 they were all booked. Same scenario a few weeks ago. Neither of us got in :(

Janet H

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 3, 2011
    PA
    Good morning Bea. Cloudy and 27 here. Gotta make a grocery run so I will be going out. Brrrr!

Yesterday my county announced vaccines available for my age group. Starting at exactly 3pm you could book an appointment online as long as vaccines were available. By 3:11 they were all booked. Same scenario a few weeks ago. Neither of us got in :(

Unfortunately I think that's the way it's going to go for awhile. There's a LOT of people who need shots! Mike did run into a friend who just lucked out when he was able to sign up on one of the sites near him. Mike has been searching online just about every day, but no luck. One site said they had thousands of people signed up so they won't be accepting any more, but most don't list how many are on their waiting list.

oldbroad

don't need no dang title..I'm queen of the world!
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 5, 2009
    Lower Mich.
    Good morning everyone!

Another gloomy day..but at least there's snow to lighten it up a bit...

It's a good thing that i have a tv streaming box and this pc and that I know how to crotchet! So far, since last fall, I've made a couple dozen hats that a homeless shelter picked up and now I'm making a baby blankie for one of my grandaughters ( the only one out of the three that's married and has kids...and she...so far...has three kids!)

She just gave birth a few days ago so I'm crotcheting like crazy to get it done.

I was so blessed in the last couple of days...one of my GD's came over with her awesome boyfriend and we played Rummicube...three times! The next day another GD (her sister) and we played Rummicube a
    couple of times!:banana::banana::banana:

oldbroad

don't need no dang title..I'm queen of the world!
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 5, 2009
    Lower Mich.
    Good morning Bea. Cloudy and 27 here. Gotta make a grocery run so I will be going out. Brrrr!

Unfortunately I think that's the way it's going to go for awhile. There's a LOT of people who need shots! Mike did run into a friend who just lucked out when he was able to sign up on one of the sites near him. Mike has been searching online just about every day, but no luck. One site said they had thousands of people signed up so they won't be accepting any more, but most don't list how many are on their waiting list.

And what i've seen on tv, there's mutations of it now!

DavidOck

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 3, 2013
    Halfway to Paradise, WA
    Morning, all.

Still raining, although they claim we'll have some sun breaks. Uh huh. They also said we'd get snow, and that didn't happen. (Although no complaints on that error!)

Well, yeah, that's what virii do, mutate. That's why the flu shot is different every year. No real surprise that this related one does the same.

And yes, it's going to take quite a while for all those who want the shot to get it. Roughly 250 or so million "adults", two shots each. So, also 500 million syringes, gloves etc. Can't make that much of anything overnight. And 50+ (territories) ways to get it into arms...

2051571.gif

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 27, 2011
    although they claim we'll have some sun breaks. Uh huh. They also said we'd get snow, and that didn't happen.

I always thought we'd live in a better World if there was no "they" .. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread