Lowe"s bans the use of e-cigs on it's property

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I spoke with the local Lowe's store manager, he made the remark that his store was bringing in over a million a week. And that he was not going to worry about someone vaping in his store.
Or he could have been making that statement as saying that he could not care about how a single customer felt about a policy they had in effect. They were making money no matter what.
Until they change the policy. I for one will not shop there and will let them and anyone who mentions their store know why I won't give them my business

Demarko

ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.twinrosesoftware.com
I somewhat disagree here. I think what we are really talking about is a policy of Lowe's. I don't view their policy as a policy of being either anti or pro. I think it was a policy that was forced by a pro party (speculation on my part about "being forced"). To the non-vaper, vaping can look awfully similar to smoking. Lowe's is not the FDA and they are not going to do scientific research to determine if second hand vape is safe. They really have no obligation (IMO) to investigate what this "new thing" that some people are calling vaping actually is. A concern to them would be "is someone going to sue us" should we adopt a policy that says its OK to vape in our stores. To me it is not unfathomable that some anti just might bring some suit that they have been harmed by second hand vape encountered in a Lowe's and Lowe's is responsible because they allowed it. Vaper would probably be in such a suit but deep pockets would be Lowe's. The lower risk course for them - if forced - is to adopted a policy that it is not OK. "We don't really know - but it sure looks a lot like smoking - so lets just make our policy "no" and let those that wish to vape prove if safe." If safe, and it can be proven - we will allow it. If FDA says its safe - we will allow it. And with any "allowing" also presuming that local ordinances (which might change by time "proof" is provided) also allows it. So - for the case at hand - I think what has probably produced this policy of Lowe's is not that the antis have made such a good case but instead that the pros have not made their case.

The main problem is that vapor is NOT smoke - whether you aren't sure it's 100% safe or not, the fact that it isn't smoke isn't up for debate (I don't think?) And that's misinformation. Additionally, the fast dissipation, and the fact that many people DO vape without nicotine suggests that it's no more dangerous (and probably less so) in many cases as the glade air fresheners they sell. More studies are being conducted, but I certainly believe, hands down, that it should not be considered smoke - whether or not you want to allow people to do it on your property is up to you (and I can vote with my dollars).

Now, if someone is a lowe's employee and they have to check smoker or non-smoker for health insurance with that company or pay more ... If Lowe's believes that vaping = smoking, does that mean that person is a "smoker" and has to pay more for insurance? Do you believe that's right?

Secti0n31

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
When I spoke with the local Lowe's store manager, he made the remark that his store was bringing in over a million a week. And that he was not going to worry about someone vaping in his store.
Or he could have been making that statement as saying that he could not care about how a single customer felt about a policy they had in effect. They were making money no matter what.
Until they change the policy. I for one will not shop there and will let them and anyone who mentions their store know why I won't give them my business

See thats why I like working at Home Depot. We make the same amount of money, and we still cater to every customer individually whether they're spending $10 or $1,000. People smoke in outside garden and I don't complain about that. I haven't seen any of our managers complain about it either. I used to smoke in Outside Garden too before I worked here. Wasn't a big deal.

I'm still waiting for my GM to see me vaping and ask what it is because he's kinda passive aggressive towards smoking and I think he'd love the concept of the e-cig and ask me to try to spread the word. We'll see, but I'd rather shop at K-mart or sears than Lowes anyway.

Tracker II

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2011
Illinois
Lowe's says that customers are not allowed to smoke or vape in their parking lots? LOL, now that's rich! If the day ever came that a store manager or employee told me to stop smoking or vaping in their lot as I was loading their product in my truck, I would ask for customer assistance to load everything back up and take it into the store for a full refund.

Until that day happens however, I will continue to shop there as I completely and utterly despise Home Depot.

otrpu

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2010
Colorado
I'm sorry. . .I didn't realize that my vaping in Lowe's was against the rules. I shopped there for a couple hours yesterday, went back this morning after deciding on what I wanted to purchase. Vaped in the lot, in the store, at the register, and back to my car. Nobody said a word one way or the other about it. JMHO

Cheers,
otrpu

dragonlover

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2011
chicopee ma
when I smoked, I smoked all the up to the door of whatever establishment I was going into. I do the same with vaping. I'm with tracker II if anyone had ever told me I couldn't smoke/vape in there parking lot all the stuff I bought would go back-probably not too quietly either! What's next telling us we can't vape in our cars?

otrpu

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2010
Colorado
If you live long enough I'm betting you'll see the time come when you will have to pay to park in store lots. Concerning "telling us we can't vape in our cars?"

California DOT tried to ticket professional truck driver's for smoking tobacco cigarettes in the cab of their trucks. . .California DOT claimed the driver's were smoking in their office since most driver's fill out their required driver's log while sitting in the driver seat. My conclusion: it's all about revenue my friend, safety has little to nothing to do with highway laws. JMHO

Cheers,
otrpu

If you live long enough I'm betting you'll see the time come when you will have to pay to park in store lots. Concerning "telling us we can't vape in our cars?"

California DOT tried to ticket professional truck driver's for smoking tobacco cigarettes in the cab of their trucks. . .California DOT claimed the driver's were smoking in their office since most driver's fill out their required driver's log while sitting in the driver seat. My conclusion: it's all about revenue my friend, safety has little to nothing to do with highway laws. JMHO

Cheers,
otrpu

I would have to agree. This sounds like a financially motivated thing to me as well. It's a shame that such a petty thing would be enacted.

JW50

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2011
USA Kentucky

Cheers,
otrpu

That one is hard to believe!

MagnusEunson

Bearded Super Villain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2011
Behind you
A few days after the lead testing I did with kits from Lowe's I went back in and brought this up. At least here in Florida two locations just didn't care that I vape up and down the isles, discussing things with their professionals, etc.

So if they're enforcing it, I've yet to see that enforcement in action... -Magnus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread