Lowe"s bans the use of e-cigs on it's property

Status
Not open for further replies.

wickdtruth

Jun 4, 2011
Arkansas
I look at it this way, I never smoked while going up and down the isles of my local hardware store, or my grocery store. But then I've grown up in states where smoking was banned 100 feet from any doorway, window (that could be opened) or air conditioning intake unit. Why would I vape while walking up and down the isles of my local hardware/grocery store? Parking lots are a whole 'nother story. But again I live in a state where smoking on "ANY" hospital owned property will get you a ticket. They are starting to include e-cigerettes and pvs in this category. Honestly if I can't wait till I left the parking lot to vape then I seriously need help with my addictions to nicotine.

studio52

ECF Veteran
May 11, 2011
Meridian MS
Untill Big Brother endorses e-cigs as a SAFE alternative to analogs. We can all expect stores, hospitals, resturaunts, and other places that ban smoking to also ban vaping in their establishments. We should all write our representatives and express our desire to be taken seriously about not smoking, and using a safe alternative. Untill the FDA approves it we can not be angry at particular stores or companys...that said...I hate that Lowes felt it necessary to make this policy.

JW50

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2011
USA Kentucky
Untill Big Brother endorses e-cigs as a SAFE alternative to analogs. We can all expect stores, hospitals, resturaunts, and other places that ban smoking to also ban vaping in their establishments. We should all write our representatives and express our desire to be taken seriously about not smoking, and using a safe alternative. Untill the FDA approves it we can not be angry at particular stores or companys...that said...I hate that Lowes felt it necessary to make this policy.

I don't agree here. Ban depends on how obnoxious and offensive one insists on being. If respectful of others, not necessarily is banning the case.

Demarko

ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.twinrosesoftware.com
I also think that if we vape places we wouldn't normally have smoked (though I remember smoking in grocery stores!) - then if "Big Brother" decides to come down on us, we can have them "ban" it in certain places, but let us keep the places we really want to; taverns and the like. Ask for a piece of candy, an ice cream, and domination of the world - so we can fall back on just candy and ice cream.

b4cz28

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2011
Spring TX (Houston)
I have sent an email and will no longer shop at lowes...this is what my brother sent them. He was told by hiss boss to switch over from analogs and he did it about 2 months ago and has not touched another. He is a lurker on the site and this is the copy of the email he sent them..

I hope the ban on vaping in your stores makes you happy. My company spends anywhere from $20-30 grand a year on products from your store. I spoke to my boss about the policy that was enacted banning e-cigs in your store and he canceled our credit cards on the spot and move over to Homedepot. Why would you Ban customers who spend money in your stores for using a product that Boston Medical School says is no worse than drinking caffeine?

We Vapors are a group of people that stick together and our numbers are strong!

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/day-action/181062-lowe-s-bans-use-e-cigs-its-property.html

ChipCurtis

ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2009
Lowe's shouldn't necessarily be singled out for boycott for enacting this policy. First of alll, a few vapers (being that we're an extreme minority) boycotting Lowe's isn't going to have much of an effect on their bottom line. Secondly, Home Depot would probably go ahead and enact this very same policy soon after a few naive fools got caught vaping in their stores too.

It has more to do with the store management not wanting to have to explain to other customers why it looks like somebody's smoking in the store, than it has to do with management thinking it's dangerous for other people's health.

Best thing to do is stealth vape, if you MUST vape at supermarkets and department stores, etc.

Last edited:

myxomatosis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2011
KC
www.facebook.com
Email sent. Let's at least have them take what we say into consideration. If not, shop somewhere else. They have the right to do what they want with their store, but you have the right to not shop there as well, and make your opinion known at the very least. I think they're sending the wrong message banning e-cigs.

WAC_Vet

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2009
Missouri
I've never been told not to smoke in the outside garden section of Lowes, ever. With that said, I emailed Lowes asking them if this ridiculous "rumor" I heard, concerning a ban on personal vaporizers, was valid. I added that Michael Siegel,Professor, Community Health Services, Boston University School of Public Health, was quoted as saying, "Removing electronic cigarettes from the market would substantially harm the public's health." I continued to ask if coughing, sneezing, chewing bubblegum, eating, while shopping would also be banned as just as much spittle, if not more, is released during these activities.

I did request a response, so I'll be awaiting a return email!

scinsc

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2010
USA
[/QUOTE] WAC-Vet "I did request a response, so I'll be awaiting a return email!"[/QUOTE]

I emailed Lowe's two times, 4/26/11 and 5/3/11 and on 5/12/11 sent a letter (see post 106 in this thread) to their corporate office. As of today I have not received a reply or acknowledgement. Another reason why I will never spend another penny in their store. Politically correct, ignorant and rude is no way to run a business.

:grr::evil::grr:

Last edited:

ksmith

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2011
Colcord, Oklahoma
Lowe's shouldn't necessarily be singled out for boycott for enacting this policy. First of alll, a few vapers (being that we're an extreme minority) boycotting Lowe's isn't going to have much of an effect on their bottom line. Secondly, Home Depot would probably go ahead and enact this very same policy soon after a few naive fools got caught vaping in their stores too.

It has more to do with the store management not wanting to have to explain to other customers why it looks like somebody's smoking in the store, than it has to do with management thinking it's dangerous for other people's health.
Best thing to do is stealth vape, if you MUST vape at supermarkets and department stores, etc.

I have read this entire post and I think it all boils down to the point that I put in bold print. I have shopped at Lowes for many years and have spent alot of money there. When I smoked, I lit one when I exited my vehicle (didn't smoke in my truck) and stood outside while I smoked it and usually lit another as soon as I walked outside and while loading what I had just bought with the help of a store employee. I do the same with vaping and I have yet had anyone tell me that I needed to stop (smoking before and vaping now) because it was store policy.

Do I agree with the ban? Not at all!!! I feel that including the parking lot is going just a tad far. As far as inside the store is concerned, I refrain from doing it. I see where non-smokers seeing the vapor that is being expelled could mistake it for cigarette smoke and lodging a complaint to the store manager and even the smokers seeing it and saying that if he/she can do it then so can I before they take the time to see what it actually is. Lowe's and any other business does have the legal right to say what a person can or can't do on their property and we as comsumers have the legal right not to give them our business. And who know's, they my have had non-smokers tell them they will boycott if they don't stop it.

When I first started comming to this site, one of the first treads I noticed was that the FAA had banned the use of e-cigs on flights. Not because of health risks or that they hadn"t been approved by the FDA, but because they didn't want the hassles that it would come from the smokers and non-smokers. I

WAC_Vet

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2009
Missouri
I received a reply from Lowes today...

Dear (I removed my name),

Thank you for giving Lowe's an opportunity to respond to your email and appreciate your concerns about personal vaporizers.

We have forwarded your comments to the appropriate department for further review.

If Lowe's can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to call 1-866-284-8989 or e-mail execustservice@lowes.com. You may also contact us by mailing your correspondence to 1605 Curtis Bridge Road, Mail Code CON8, Wilkesboro, North Carolina 28697.

Thank you,

Connie
Lowe's Executive Support

Wonder if their "appropriate department" is their spam mail section???

JW50

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2011
USA Kentucky
I received a reply from Lowes today...

Dear (I removed my name),

Thank you for giving Lowe's an opportunity to respond to your email and appreciate your concerns about personal vaporizers.

We have forwarded your comments to the appropriate department for further review.

If Lowe's can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to call 1-866-284-8989 or e-mail execustservice@lowes.com. You may also contact us by mailing your correspondence to 1605 Curtis Bridge Road, Mail Code CON8, Wilkesboro, North Carolina 28697.

Thank you,

Connie
Lowe's Executive Support

Wonder if their "appropriate department" is their spam mail section???

I think they are trying to "walk the line". Can't say "Come to my store and vape to your heart's delight." Can't say (or chose not to say), "keep the hell out of my store if you want to vape here". My sense is they are trying to be "politically sensitive" but with minimal substance to stated policy. IMO, further aggravation on the matter will only lead to more enforcement, or attempted enforcement, of corporately stated policies at the store level. Not sure I understand expectation here. Is it we want Lowe's to say they think e-cig'ing is best thing since apple pie? Don't think that will happen. IMO, bigger "monsters" to fight than Lowe's..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread