Not open for further replies.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
I'm having some issues with my builds. I built a dual coil with 28g kanthal on my fogger v5 to about .8 ohms. I wicked it with cotton, just snug but not choking it. I fired it up with my mech mod, but I am getting incredibly bad throat hit, like a serious burn in the back of my throat.

I built a parallel single micro coil with two strands of 30g this morning to 1 ohm in my rda, I have the air hole drilled out, and I'm still getting poor flavor and very harsh throat hits. Same thing, wicked with cotton, but not enough to choke it. I can't figure out what's going on! Please help.

Btw, I'm using japanese cotton sheets, cut into a strip and split in half!

It sounds like you have a hot leg. Just take the cap off the atomizer and fire it - is one of the leads glowing between the coil and the post? If yes, that is the culprit of the harshness :)

weisner

ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2012
Costa Mesa, CA
Super_X_Drifter,

Good to see you still active, I have been on a long break from all my web friends and acquaintances. I use anything from 32g all the way to 22g if it works right for the application. My typical build is a 28g dual coil on a fine thread pattern on a metric 2.4mm machine screw 4 to 8 wraps depending again on how low I want to go. Although pinching the coils together gives a good effect I find that the larger exposed cotton helps keep the coils/vape from being too terribly warm. All subjective, just sharing my errant thoughts on the subject.

I thank you for sharing all your experiences with us on micro, macro, and nano coil builds.

Here's to you !! :toast:

Last edited:

player one

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2013
cali
Last build I had on the hobo. 8 wraps, 26ga, 2.4mm ID.
hoboAngled1_zps789b7b44.jpg

hoboAngled2_zps5b7bbcf5.jpg

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
Tree, there is even some heavier gauge Rene knocking about, side by side with 20 and 22g A1 Kanthal it looks to be the same diameter as the 20.
it dont seem to cool off any quicker than A1, bend it in the same place twice and it can break LoL ... is worth a look at getting some just to say youve been there Haaaha....:p

Right on thanks man :), yeah it sounds interesting, I'm a "perfectionist" when I roll coils anyway, I feel like if I mess up the first bend, there's no hope to getting it back to perfection lol. There's nothing worse than rolling 13 perfect wraps, and then that next one is ever so spaced, that's where I throw it across the room :p. Stuff sounds brittle.

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
speaking of which, I wonder if a "micro-coil" is more of a designation of proportion rather than specific IDs. I think this 22g wrapped on a 2mm mandrel looks like a micro coil in it's proportions (it just happens to suffer from giantism). If it were wrapped on a 1/16" bit and viewed without sizing indicators (i.e. nothing else in the picture to indicate actual size), I think it would look like a nano.

15285022824_7df5643c3a.jpg

That's exactly what I was saying pdib :), *relatively* my 18ga, 1/16th" is a borderline "super-nano", nearly wrapped on itself lol. It's just a big micro-coil in a small world :p, so you can still get a decently sized lace of KGD in'er, but all that surface area can still be stretched long and thin (to match my airflow config. in my case).

kIggieF.jpg

I was having the same problems with 1/16" i.d. coils at .4 ohms, the KGD was burning on one long pull. I switched to 3/32" i.d. with more cotton and the next bigger gauge of wire. Ohms stayed about the same, but I think the thicker wick makes a big difference in that there's more juice to keep the coil cooler longer. Just my :2c:

I hear ya brother, without a doubt you can keep a wider ID coil "cooled off" better with juice, but that is one of the reasons I love micro-coils, if you wick perfectly (which is an art I struggled with in the past) it will start producting IMMEDIATELY and the KGD will keep up just as fast. A dense wick doesn't work well with relative long and skinny coils, it's best to have just enough girth to touch all sides of the inner-coil, I'm sure you know that, but that's pretty critical from what I've experienced. (Also keeping the tails at both ends as short as possible can really help, I've been "fluffing" my tails out to get max capillary action.)

BUT, there is a point where I prefer to put a super light and fluffy cotton cloud (as hollow as possible without being weighed down by the juice) nuzzled right under the center of the coil where all the action happens. I've found it makes more, thicker vapor actually, because it's just lifting the juice where the coils hottest, as well as supplying the two tails higher up (or closer) to the coil on both sides. I've found my favorite coils to be the ones that "need" that light cotton cloud beneath the center actually, if the juice can't make it to the center, then just bring some to it with some capillary action!

Below is one I built a few days ago and it was pretty amazing, it needed the same wicking method I just described because of how long, skinny, and quick heating it was. So I just cancelled out the heat with more juiced up surface area! (The main idea was to get maximum airflow to coil ratio, while being directly in front of the airflow. I think I hit the nail on the head if I say so myself :p.)

9ycuc2t.jpg

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
Guys really stupid simple question. Does a micro coil really increase the surface area? I mean with the same length of wire, the wire in its total length will cover the same amount of wick whatever the diameter is :blink:. I am having problems with a coil because it was too fast heating up (it is 1/16 id) and neither rayon nor kgd is keeping up, and that's when it hit me.

Yeah technically it's more-like "stretching" the surface area, and I've always comprehended it as surface area "relative to contact with wicking/juice". If you imagine a big'ol 1/8th" 4 wrap coil, really only that strap of outer wicking is in contact with the coils, when you make it thinner/longer, a larger amount of the overall wick is being cooked by the coils (maybe I'm wrong, but I think it "squeezes out" the juice better, the micro-coil will most likely vaporize the outside AND inside of the wicks juice, whereas the super thick wick will only cook the outside, and the center of it is likely to never be reached with heat).

I bet that 30ga is lighting up like a demolition wire :D, I've had my honeymoon with rayon myself (and I still appreciate it), but it just can't handle the heat like cotton can. I'm a hot vape lover, and like quick heating builds too, so I learned fast that (although rayon is a quick and awesome wicker) once that rayon runs out, you have a SHORT time period to let off the gas before it burns. I learned to simply drip more often with rayon, but I love how indestructable good'ol KGD is compared to it. Maybe you just need a little less density brother? Being on a Reo, I bet simply moving the coil closer to the deck would help loads. Hope this helps Aal! :)

And hey what's wrong with 2mm micro's? :p (I know Rip isn't exactly "respectable", but I choose to ignore him personally :lol:)

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
Why 5 coils on one side and 4 on the other? Did I miss something in the translation a year ago?

Makes sense to me, given the angle of the incoming airflow and how the whole coil is tilted (tail closest to the deck heats up first, so why not have that side be a tad hotter?) :)

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Okay X dude, enough 'bout the Odin. Where's the Nuppin vid?

Sent from my brain using An iPad

I'm sure that since it's made by my boy it's a kick AYuss atty but I dont feel the need to retool my entire atty collection so I'm not even trying it :). Perfectly content with my current mods and attys (like I am with my wife) and don't even look at others. Well I look but I don't stick my coil in em :)

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
You have no idea what you're missing out on brotha'... This atty puts the Odin to shame. Don't get me wrong. The Odin is a good atty, but i just got tired of constantly having to wipe the juice off the atty because of it leaking out the AFC... 3 weeks in and have yet to have a leak from the Nuppin'... Even when it's lating on its side... You need to at least get one to check out. Unless you're worried it might replace you're Odin's!!!
cebd2468b0a59eaab316c6c96d4b000f.jpg

RGLP4Lyfe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
PA
Yeah sure if i lay my odin on the side it will leak.. not trash talkin ya muzic but i never get leaks from my odin.. i am probably in love with my Loki as much as Super is.. heck yeah i would like to try a nuppin and im sure it is way cool, but i am also content with my odin's. I love the rather small chamber for its 22mm size and i just get nothing but good vibes from it. Like i said, no slander, but that sucks that you had leak problems with your odin, cause i LOVE mine. I was thinking of telin the wifey to get me a Nuppin for Christmas though!

My love- Kawa Reo LP w/ TRA SL door & LokiLab Odin.. Mmm Mmm

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
I wasn't trash talking the Odin there, don't get me wrong. It is a pretty good vaping atty, I just had a problem with it leaking. Not talking about laying it down and leaking either. If I just tilted it where the AFC was facing down, liquid would trickle out of it. If I was changing the bottle or battery on my REO and it was slightly tilted, it would leak. As far as the vape, it was a very good vape, but I have found a better vaping atty. In fact I've found two. I also have a couple Mephisto's that have an even smaller chamber than the Odin and flavor is off the chain... Much easier to build on and the post holes are massive. I could probably put triple twisted 20g through them. Its all good, was just razzin' my brotha Russ.

RGLP4Lyfe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
PA
I wasn't trash talking the Odin there, don't get me wrong. It is a pretty good vaping atty, I just had a problem with it leaking. Not talking about laying it down and leaking either. If I just tilted it where the AFC was facing down, liquid would trickle out of it. If I was changing the bottle or battery on my REO and it was slightly tilted, it would leak. As far as the vape, it was a very good vape, but I have found a better vaping atty. In fact I've found two. I also have a couple Mephisto's that have an even smaller chamber than the Odin and flavor is off the chain... Much easier to build on and the post holes are massive. I could probably put triple twisted 20g through them. Its all good, was just razzin' my brotha Russ.
Yeah i didnt take it as trash talkin bro, i just wanted to make sure it was clear i didnt mean any harm. But beyond that, yeah i also have a mephisto... ive had it for a long time and before i ordered my first grand i drilled the bottom and two holes in the post.. i was so happy and urgently waiting on my reo. When it arrived i proceeded to try threading the mephisto on with no avail. They just will not screw down, at all. That bummed me out and it was my only atty for b/f so i quickly got out the drill and checked my tobh threads with the reo and it worked so i drilled that. Anyway, im rambling.. i just wish i.could use the mephisto once in a while on my reo...

My love- Kawa Reo LP w/ TRA SL door & LokiLab Odin.. Mmm Mmm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread