Status
Not open for further replies.

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
a lot has to do with wicking and drainage too, these larger base atties squonk best when you hold the mod relatively level for the squonk & return, otherwise it can put a lot of fluid on the deck and not retract it if retraction happens while the atty is at an angle far off from level. it will suck air back in and leave excess fluid on the deck

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
I wasn't trash talking the Odin there, don't get me wrong. It is a pretty good vaping atty, I just had a problem with it leaking. Not talking about laying it down and leaking either. If I just tilted it where the AFC was facing down, liquid would trickle out of it. If I was changing the bottle or battery on my REO and it was slightly tilted, it would leak. As far as the vape, it was a very good vape, but I have found a better vaping atty. In fact I've found two. I also have a couple Mephisto's that have an even smaller chamber than the Odin and flavor is off the chain... Much easier to build on and the post holes are massive. I could probably put triple twisted 20g through them. Its all good, was just razzin' my brotha Russ.

As a veteran of the deep drip wells (like the Tobh, Odin, Plume Veil (it's ok), Brass Monkee 26650, my Asmodus holds as much as a freakin' Kayfun for chists sake! :p), you really have to be on your wicking/dripping game for them not to squirt their warm juice all over you (romantic isn't it? lol).

The key is to place your coils directly in front of the airflow (where you want it anyway), and create a "dam" around it, that happens naturally with the way I wick anyway. This way even if I drip ABOVE the 5ml deep asmodus drip well (doesn't happen anymore though, I've learned 2 full droppers is perfect), it's still being held at bay from leaking out of the airflow, even when vaping nearly horizontal. Here's kind of an exteme example below, as you can see the only free-floating liquid is kept in the middle, and the cotton/coils make a wall in front of the airflow.

LPVIUsg.jpg

Super's eliminated the over-dripping problem anyway by converting his to a bottom feeder if I remember correct, which is something I plan to do with my asmodus one day, that'll be one big .... squonk though :D.

I think with shallower decked atty's like the nuppin, you really can't overdrip because there's not really a "reservoir" to fill, basically your wick absorbs what it needs, with room for the remaining on the deck, once it's overfilled it'll leak immediately instead of later when you tip it to vape. It does look interesting with that hole for your wire though, I'd like to check one out. Is it a deep hole? Because I like my coils to have even legs, if that outer leg needs to be twice as long I'm not sure about my ocd handling that very well lol.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
As a veteran of the deep drip wells (like the Tobh, Odin, Plume Veil (it's ok), Brass Monkee 26650, my Asmodus holds as much as a freakin' Kayfun for chists sake! :p), you really have to be on your wicking/dripping game for them not to squirt their warm juice all over you (romantic isn't it? lol)

Not talking about squirting... definitely leaking... Slightest tilt or lean. I do think most of it was condensation buildup, but none the less, leaked... Mine were squonkers also like X's. I think it was and is a design problem. The top of the atty where the negative post are, are just too close to the AFC and I think that is where the run off mostly comes from. Just found I could never pocket my device with that atty on it as there was always a juice ring left, pants or shirt pocket. It was a good atty to run for a while and at times enjoyed vaping them, just not the leaking...

Moxienator

Super Squonker
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2014
Central Mass
Finally made a 5/64" winding arm for the Artists coil winding gizmo. I needed a slightly larger than 1/16" coil for my KFL+, because I could not get it to fiction properly with so small a wick. Dry hit city. So- here's my 10wrap 29g Tensioned Standard (5/64") Coil on a bf cyclone (used strictly for testing purposes)

a393bb5aba41abb8a986862c886eb2f7.jpg

71c98d8d36c7ae7b642560710329fbc6.jpg

Here is that cyclone on a used Bagua (14500) I received today. Once it was cleaned, of course.

a29cc5b725a50944ed081719f2e6c750.jpg

sent via Droid Mini

MrStik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2013
SoCal
Wow.. god knows how long it has been since I have been back to these forums... Glad to see that microcoiling is the coil of choice nowadays...

It seems like the methods I have been using since my hiatus from here are a bit dated. I just got back into upgrading by vaping gear to a newer dripper and a wide moth tip. Seems to be the rave nowadays...

Well time for me to troll the forums, find out what is new, and start testing out newer builds. I love this community, it has totally evolved in the past many months since I have left..

But now I am back

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Wow.. god knows how long it has been since I have been back to these forums... Glad to see that microcoiling is the coil of choice nowadays...

It seems like the methods I have been using since my hiatus from here are a bit dated. I just got back into upgrading by vaping gear to a newer dripper and a wide moth tip. Seems to be the rave nowadays...

Well time for me to troll the forums, find out what is new, and start testing out newer builds. I love this community, it has totally evolved in the past many months since I have left..

But now I am back

Here is a link to the natural progression:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=633436

MrStik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2013
SoCal
Excellent. So we'll see you over there :)

Of course. I just picked up a darkhorse clone atty and loving the vape off that thing. My buddy wrapped a coil with 24g wire and man that thing is blowing clouds like a ..... I can't wait for the rig. Supposed to come tomorrow, but I won't see it until at least thursday.

I will be wrapping for the holidays, but it won't be gifts. =)

etherealink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2013
Junction, IL
OK, I just noticed something interesting on my hybrid stingray/mutation combo...

When pulsing the coils after dripping (old habit to make sure things work correctly) I noticed that juice was vaporizing between the positive of the battery-hybrid connection and the rda before the coils fired.

Of course I've cleaned all the parts and it no longer does this, but I was curious if anyone else had noticed this happening and what the theory is on why its happening... other than juice leaking below the rda to the 510 and battery.

Thanks in advance.

JimmyDB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2014
OK, I just noticed something interesting on my hybrid stingray/mutation combo...

When pulsing the coils after dripping (old habit to make sure things work correctly) I noticed that juice was vaporizing between the positive of the battery-hybrid connection and the rda before the coils fired.

Of course I've cleaned all the parts and it no longer does this, but I was curious if anyone else had noticed this happening and what the theory is on why its happening... other than juice leaking below the rda to the 510 and battery.

Thanks in advance.

It sounds like your talking about the arcing or similar burning off juice that spilled/leaked onto the top of the battery,... but I'm not positive I understood you correctly.

EDIT: Does your RDA center-pin make a flush contact with the battery or is their a point that makes contact? If it's not a flush contact, what I have done is sanded my center pin down... I have had bits of the adjustable center pin screw slot stick up due to the metal being too weak to handle the torque (damaged).

Last edited:

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar

Thanks in advance.

If the Stingray hybrid mod is anything like the 4nine hybrid the pos pin on your atty has to protrude from the 510 housing quite a bit. If not the batt terminal can short to atty ground. That junction (short) will heat up rocket fast and can cause your batt to vent. It's why you can't run protanks and the like without adj pos pins on hybrids. Hopefully your mutation has an adj pos pin.

Hopefully I understood your question correctly.

:) cig

Last edited:

KurrptSenate

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2013
PA
got into making claptons after trying another guy's setup at a big vape meet. took me about 4 attempts to really get the hang of it

running dual claptons with 26 gauge and 32 wrapped around that on a 5/64ths. came out to around .5Ω.

the extra time it takes to make your wire over my traditional tiger coils really does seem to be worth the extra work. this CLR never tasted so good

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
got into making claptons after trying another guy's setup at a big vape meet. took me about 4 attempts to really get the hang of it

running dual claptons with 26 gauge and 32 wrapped around that on a 5/64ths. came out to around .5Ω.

the extra time it takes to make your wire over my traditional tiger coils really does seem to be worth the extra work. this CLR never tasted so good

a single Fused clapton is a really really good vape

i've been doing two core strands of 24g nichrome wrapped in 32g A1 & normally 3, 4 or 5 wrap at about 2mm id ....

Last edited:

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
If the Stingray hybrid mod is anything like the 4nine hybrid the pos pin on your atty has to protrude from the 510 housing quite a bit. If not the batt terminal can short to atty ground. That junction (short) will heat up rocket fast and can cause your batt to vent. It's why you can't run protanks and the like without adj pos pins on hybrids. Hopefully your mutation has an adj pos pin.

Hopefully I understood your question correctly.

:) cig

i cant speak for all plumeveil attys but i've noticed a couple of mine have a centre post that also moves up & down aswell as around, i've killed a battery on the stingray hybrid and a friend killed a battery on the 4nine, Both with a Plumeveil.
Just thought i'd put this out there cus if anyone were unaware that the centre post can move up & down things can end up real sad LoL Its worth checking!!

Edit: Just take your atty and push the 510 pin on a surface, if it moves and go's almost flush with the outer threading it can short

Last edited:

weisner

ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2012
Costa Mesa, CA
I wrapped new coils, for my seven KFLs today. I love my Gizmo! I love a great tool!

View attachment 398425

I would like to know more about your gizmo. I see the chuck head and a few other bits that I recognize. Could you maybe post a video of your gizmo being used so that I can better understand what it is you are doing with it. Thank you in advance for any time or effort you take in benefitting my curiosity.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread