mini pipe, which battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brachinus

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2009
Jersey Shore
Has anyone put the battery in backward? I did, and it heated up like crazy!

I put it in (after unpacking it today), then started futzing with the carts, and then picked up the pipe and it was really hot. Not skin-burning hot, but hot like a plastic steering wheel sitting in the sun on a hot day. I took out the battery, then looked in the instructions (what can I say? I'm a guy), and found out the + side goes up, not down.

Could that be what's causing my problems? It's like a couple other posters have described -- light goes on, it makes a nice crackling/gurgling sound (like my 510 when it's happy), and I get a tiny bit of vapor, but not much, and not much flavor either (even after dripping on the atty and adding liquid to the already-fresh cart).

I didn't charge the battery for 12 hours, but the charger light turned green. Does it need to charge beyond that? Did I fry out something by putting the battery in wrong? And should it even be *able* to heat up when the battery's in upside down? I would have thought that would be a good way to keep it from accidentally turning on (like with a flashlight). What's the deal?

Vaporer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Away..
Unfortunatly, I did that to my DSE601 pipe. Wee hrs of the morning , no glasses, dim room.
It got hot all on its own , maybe 5 min before I came back to vape.
It killed the circuit board. I had to covert it to a manual.
I have a mini pipe I've converted to manual also. That one was not by my hand though.

I'd say it s not receiving full voltage to the coil. Actually , I'm surprized the pressure circuit works.

What really jerks my chain is for less than .01 cent , their cost, they could all have a diode in them that protects the circuit and allows it not to work should the battery be installed backwards. It would cause the normal voltage to be .7v lower, but a full charged battery is 4.15v (it shows 3.6-3.7v on the side) and will work down to about 3v.
I'd give the little bit of shorter time for the cost of a new unit.

Check around. I've seen classified ads for mini bodies only for 15-20 bucks.

Brachinus

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2009
Jersey Shore
Thanks, Vaporer! I have a feeling I didn't trash it as badly as I thought -- some hard drags are getting a decent amount of vapor out the mouth (although, as with the earlier poster, not much comes out afterward).

Since I don't like tobacco flavors (I'm on mint and cinnamon now), I think I might try an 801 atty and see if I like it better. According to a discussion a few pages back, that seems likely. And I can add on an 801 for a few bucks along with resupplies for my 510, so it shouldn't be too big a deal if I still hate it. I got the starter kit for 40 bucks on clearance, so it's not like I have a lot invested if it goes bust -- I just don't want to spend that much again and more trying to get it to work.

Vaporer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Away..
Good deal!
Glad its working to get buy. Yea, My 601 just outranks them all for flavor.
I like the mini pipe, it will flood easily if the juice is thin. A little VG will fix that.
Sounds like you went to MVS too....lol I got 2 from them at that price just for back ups.

My 601 was to hot to hold and it has a solid wood body. Very well built. I've rebuilt the atty in it once. Shame they didnt make it interchangeable at that cost.

Sure glad it held up for you.

I purchased the mini pipe from MVS as well. I just arrived today! I love it. It doesn't produce as much vapor as my Janty Stick, but it's very nice to use to get my JS a break. I also found that if you do the staple mod on your 801 attys, they will work just fine with the mini pipe. You can find the staple mod in the mod section of these forums. :)

Dave Rickey

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2009
Austin TX
FYI, anything smaller than a 16340 is going to suffer a major effective voltage hit under an eCig's load (and the only stock eCig product with anything that size is the 601's 18350 and the eCigar's 14500).

A 14250 isn't even CR2 sized, a real CR2 is a 15266 (a millimeter bigger around and 1.6mm longer). That may not seem like much, but with tiny cells a little difference in size makes a big difference in real capacity, and the 15266 has nearly twice that of the 14250. 14250 doesn't have much more capacity than a stock 801 battery, less than 1/4 that of the 14500 that's twice as long.

FWIW, I've been working on an ePipe battery mod with the same battery as a 601, but that will use an external atomizer so it doesn't have to be replaced every month or so. I won't pimp it here, check the link if you want to know more.

--Dave

kebochina

Moved On
Oct 22, 2009
shenzhen
www.kebochina.com
  • Deleted by Sun Vaporer
  • Reason: spammer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread