mini pipe, which battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
Thanks Vince...I figured it might not work. What is funny is some of the newer mini pipe atomizers don't work with the newer pipes. The newer pipes have a slightly different thread. The only way to make them work is by cutting notches into the atomizer bands....then it works really well. I think they did this to make the pipe switches more compatible with other 801 atomizers.

smokindeuce

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2008
UK
www.smokejuice.co.uk
Hi Tim...I hope you can get a hold of these batteries easy enough! I haven't got a clue where else in the UK I could get any replacements if you didn't have any left in stock, that's always the worry with essential consumables.

Hi Pete -

We've got a new load coming hopefully end of this week/beginning of next including the pipe heads sold individually....;)

If you have any 'emergencies' before then, I should be able to help so don't worry...:)

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
We've got a new load coming hopefully end of this week/beginning of next including the pipe heads sold individually....;)

Posted this on another thread but you must not have seen it.

I was looking at your pipe options. Do you carry the white pipe with white atomizer? Also, will the heads be available for sale to anyone, or only those that ordered the kit from you?

Lu

smokindeuce

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2008
UK
www.smokejuice.co.uk
Posted this on another thread but you must not have seen it.

I was looking at your pipe options. Do you carry the white pipe with white atomizer? Also, will the heads be available for sale to anyone, or only those that ordered the kit from you?

Lu

Hi Lu -

Yes - in fact we only have the white pipes in stock ATM.... more black coming soon.

All accessories are and will be available for everyone to buy. :)

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
Hi,
Do you know of a charger which can take more than one (two, three?) of mini pipe batteries?

one way to do this is buy one of those cheap socket extensions with say four sockets on them and plug in four single chargers..

we test charge twenty single cell batteries all at once using this method.. for us it tests both the chargers and the batteries..

we have four six gang sockets all screwed to a board.. for normal use one four gang socket extension would do with four chargers plugged it.. we need a few more.. he he

trog

The Doc

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2009
Torrington, CT 06790
Just got my 3 MINI PIPES, which I ordered from MYVAPORSTORE.com on clearance for $39 each. I got 1 brown one as well as 2 black ones. This vendor ships fast, which is a major plus.

I can see why these Mini Pipes are on clearance! They would be a good deal for $30 each and a bargain at $25 each....but I feel sorry for any dealer sitting on a bunch of these stones! No wonder the poor fella lowered them to $39 each! He just wants to unload them and I certainly don't blame him!

These things just don't work well on the included 3.7V batteries. I take that back...ONE of the 3 Mini Pipes does work fairly well. One works marginally ok, the other doesn't work for crap....ALL tested on fully charged batteries (8HRS charge time). The battery cover design is like a joke too dirty for present company....simply inapproriate.

I carefully stretched the negative battery contact (lower spring). I also slid the 2 side contacts (positive) out of the bowl a bit to tweak them downwards SLIGHTLY with small pliers. Battery cover now stays on quite well. It actually requires a little effort to remove it now.

Atty on all 3 is the same. There is a metal ring that says ROYALSMOKER on all 3 of them. It has 2 carburetor holes surrounding the main vacuum orifice, which mates with the bowl. It needs a bit MORE AIR INTAKE! I may just carefully enlarge the 2 existing holes on one of them and see what happens. Atty also does not burn hot enough to really deal with a well soaked cart stuffing....not by a LONG SHOT. It's simply starving for a solid power source

Took the weakest MINI PIPE over to my workbench, next to my home-brewed 5 Amp variable voltage power supply. Set it for 5VDC on the analog meter and ran jumpers into the battery compartment.....WHAT A DIFFERENCE! BILLOWING CLOUDS OF VAPOR + KILLER THROAT HIT!!! I watched the current meter (AMPS) every single time I took a hit. The harder I sucked, the more current was drawn. I got it to peak at nearly 1 AMP of current draw.

Synopsis: This is a GREAT DEVICE to modify for EXTERNAL power use; however I would NOT recommend it for USB passthrough. USB power cannot be relied upon for anything more than 500mA (one-half amp of constant current supply); nor should any USB jack on any pc ever be relied upon for anything more.

I have some little wall warts/chargers kicking around that are rated for about 5VDC at about 1 Amp. Gotta love those Goodwill consignment stores. The little brick adapters are about a buck each there.....and I always put them to good use. I looked in my junk box & found a tiny little LG adapter with an output rating of 5VDC @ 1 Amp. Another LG that is 5.2VDC @ 800mA. Found a Motorola that is 4.4VDC @ 1100mA (1.1 Amp). Also a generic that is 6VAC @ 700mA (this one would need a simple quarter wave rectifier, since it has an AC output).

Another good thing would be to use a 4.8VDC NiMH rechargeable battery pack, which contains 4 "AA" size cells. This would make a very suitable portable power supply for the MINI PIPE.....but running it off the kit supplied batteries is a complete WASTE of time. It won't get the atty hot enough to function properly....unless maybe you wet the cart stuffing VERY sparingly (who has the time to fuss around with it like that?). Furthermore, HOW would you ever do a nice cleaning burn??? NOT HAPPENING with the kit supplied batteries, plain & simple.

I drilled a hole in the lower center of the bowl on the black pipe that makes nearly no vapor on battery power. I used my calipers to measure the wire diameter and identify the right drill size. I drilled it barely big enough to squeeze the adapter wire through it (very tight fit). Used a very small tie wrap as a strain releif. I then desoldered and removed the lower spring (negative battery contact). I also desoldered and removed the positive leads from the side contacts. I spliced the little LG ac adapter (5VDC @ 1 AMP) into the unit and reconnected the LED ground. Covered all my newly soldered connections with small gauge heat shrink tubing. Replaced the side contacts just to retain the jewel cover. Unit works beautifly with plenty of power supplied to the atomizer. DONE DEAL

I will keep at least one of the mini pipes completely original for now.....but I'll need to make sure I only use the very best of the six batteries I got within the 3 kits. For home use, I won't even fuss with the batteries; I'll simply use the LG adapter powered mini pipe, since it works so awesomely.

I now have ONE DSE601 EPIPE (soon to be 2), THREE of the MINI PIPES and several VX2 (mini cig) units. I modified my VX2 USB passthrough by chopping off the USB plug and I replaced it with the Motorola 4.4VDC @ 1.1Amp ac adapter...I LOVE IT! I store ALL PIPES in small jars and oversized Coca-Cola shotglasses (curvy like a woman!). I always store them with the bowls skyward (mouthhpiece down) and this prevents clogging at the orifice behind the atty....been there, done that...not fun when you need a quick nic fix. So far, the modified mini pipe is the best device I have, in terms of throat hit. When I just want LOADS of smooth mellow vapor, I vape off the DSE601. VX2 ecigs are small and convenient on-the-go. They don't run too hot and the battery & cart life is good for such small ecigs.

The Mini Pipes would be great (and they probably should have been designed with) higher voltage batteries. IF the attys hold up for a decent duration, the mini pipe may prove to be a formidable PV device......in it's modified power source state. I really could not recommend the MINI PIPE to anyone who needs portable performance. Sorry, but it's just not reliable enough on OEM battery power. I know that batteries have to be broken in, but after 8 HRS of charging, they should still be much better than they are.

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
14250 3.7V 250mAh

Ok This is what the kit says, I can use the battery from

AW 14250 Unprotected Rechargeable Lithium Battery or a cr2? The CR2's rechargeabble say 3 volt. The original batt is a 3.7 volt!

I picked it up as a Christmas gift..geeze who knew this would be so much trouble to find extra batts for! I am not a happy camper!

The Doc

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2009
Torrington, CT 06790
After having put a considerable amount of usage on my Mini Pipes, I found that they perpetually produced minimal flavor and the attys were very inconsistent. I've discarded them. I like my DSE601 pipes MUCH BETTER and I also still use my VX2 attys with several modded PV power sources. I'll be a traveling man soon and I have no room in my life for unreliable PV's with minimal flavor production.

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
I found the mini pipe batteries that I had with my mini pipe charged up to 4.1 volts and worked fantastic for about 4hours of fairly solid vaping when they were brand new but they didn't take very many charges before they started to loose capacity and in the end I was lucky to get even 20 mins of vaping from a fully charged battery. The fact is batteries that small are never going to last for very long and I certainly couldn't have afforded to keep on buying new ones.

I am very happy now using mods with four AA 1.2 volt nimah rechargeable's, they have plenty of capacity. A great in series voltage of 5.68 volts fully charged, they seem to take a lot of charges and discharges before loosing their capacity and are cheap and easy to get hold of. As far as e-cig power supplies go I think they are the best battery option of all .

Last edited:

Vaporer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Away..
Mary Kay,
They may look like CR2's but should be 3.7v and protected. The pipes have a circuit in them, I can't say it has a cutoff built in. The circuits in them seem to vary like the weather.
I made mine a manual and like it much better.
I'd look for 14250 protected if you can find them. I measured mine for size and its 14.14 x 24700. no problem on the fit. It has clearence enough for the little extra. If you have to get the unprotected, I'd swap after 4hrs to the other so it doesnt go to low and ruin the battery.

Darn Doc,
I would have given you something for the parts..........
I enjoyed the one you cut up....very informative lol

surbitionPete,
I can see where the 4 singles would work better. That 801 atty floods easy. Once you learn you can't fill the atty all the way helps huh? I dont have flavor issues with it though as a manual. I just make sure I get the battery out if it even looks like dropping off and I know the cart is ok. I've ony lost one battery so far. Its strange, it shows 4.14 on the meter, green in the charger and it on't run anything I have. Any load must be tripping the battery off. Never measured it that way yet.

The Doc

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2009
Torrington, CT 06790
I found the mini pipe batteries that I had with my mini pipe charged up to 4.1 volts and worked fantastic for about 4hours of fairly solid vaping when they were brand new but they didn't take very many charges before they started to loose capacity and in the end I was lucky to get even 20 mins of vaping from a fully charged battery. The fact is batteries that small are never going to last for very long and I certainly couldn't have afforded to keep on buying new ones.

I am very happy now using mods with four AA 1.2 volt nimah rechargeable's, they have plenty of capacity. A great in series voltage of 5.68 volts fully charged, they seem to take a lot of charges and discharges before loosing their capacity and are cheap and easy to get hold of. As far as e-cig power supplies go I think they are the best battery option of all .

Some of my very best mods involve using 4AA or 4AAA battery holders, some even with a slide switch on the battery box. I also utilize the NiMH cells and these mods work extremely well. I recently got a bunch more NiMH cells direct from China on ebay. They seem to be working extremely well. The AA's are 2800mA and the AAA's are rated at 1800mA. I suspect the AAA ratings might be a bit exaggerated by the mfr, but they do have a very impressive run time for AAA size cells. here is a link for some of these purple hi capacity NiMh batteries >

16 AAA & 16 AA 1.2V Ni-MH Rechargeable Battery - eBay (item 310165176649 end time Sep-28-09 15:38:46 PDT)http://cgi.ebay.com/4AAA-4AA-1-2V-N...ash=item4837434338&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262

Here is a link for some nice battery boxes with built-in slide switch (I have a bunch of these on hand) >

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160344549873&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread