Ridgeway, Ohio
liar.jpg
pants-on-fire_thumb.jpg

Reactions: puffon

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'm a wuss then because I would have run far, far away from that dude. I mean it looked like he had STUFFED fireworks down there, for reals.

Every time I have to "reup" my first aid and CPR skills, I solemnly pledge that I will do the best that I can, I will try to rise to the occasion, and all that, but the sight of blood makes me faint. I'm good at CPR though, ESPECIALLY now that they've removed that "mouth to mouth" requirement because every class I had been in previously, the instructors told HORRIBLE stories about how the "patient" would VOMIT into your mouth and that "even the mouth guard won't save you." They say it EXACTLY HOW one would expect if the INSTRUCTOR'S GOAL would be to like get you to NEVER perform CPR ever on ANYONE.

I mean I would, but the idea of swallowing vomit while trying to save a life isn't appealing at all, let alone investigating the fact with some guy about whether or not his junk had turned into a bottle rocket somehow, that is just not a health condition I am prepared to deal with on a routine basis. A And I have taken CPR and first aid in the double digits now. Some people just aren't cut out for that, etc.

Anna

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Apparently, he was a high watt DTL vaper, but nobody told him he needed a quality high amp battery to go with his mod. Cheaper isn't better. If Mooch hasn't rated it I don't buy it. Every cell I own is Sony, LG, AW,or Samsung. 8 years and none of them have reached more than barely detectable warmth at 10W. I don't carry batteries in my pocket. If they leave the house, they are in a mod or a plastic snap case designed for 18650s. I was fortunate to find ECF about the same time I started vaping.

All we need is a requirement that a battery safety sheet be included with each mod ,mech, or atomizer. No one should be allowed to purchase without that info being included in the order.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Unknowingly, there was a penny in that pocket, and literally within seconds the battery began to get so hot that it vented

A penny in your pocket will not vent a round cell battery unless the battery wrap is damaged at the positive end (exposing the negative case). Multiple coins or keys in your pocket can.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Add to the list of battery no-nos that over-discharging a li-ion cell (below 3v) can cause even the best quality cells (once recharged) to vent when put under heavy current loads. Case in point: I had a Sony VTC5A 18650 vent in a DNA75 mod. The battery had previously been discharged to 2.9v.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Add to the list of battery no-nos that over-discharging a li-ion cell (below 3v) can cause even the best quality cells (once recharged) to vent when put under heavy current loads. Case in point: I had a Sony VTC5A 18650 vent in a DNA75 mod. The battery had previously been discharged to 2.9v.

That's interesting. My Zanfare C4 charger discharges a cell to 2.8v then charges it back to 4.2v during the MAH test.

Mooch discharges to 2.8v on his capacity tests.
image-png.562141

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US

That's interesting. My Zanfare C4 charger discharges a cell to 2.8v then charges it back to 4.2v during the MAH test.

Dave it was a typo. I heard this story before and cigatron meant 1.9v. I have a Samsung 25R that accidentally got drained down to 0.5v. I got it to charge back up and I was going to play with it to see if it suffered damage or not. But then cigatron told me this story and then I decided I wouldn't even play with it. :lol:

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Dave it was a typo. I heard this story below and cigatron meant 1.9v. I have a Samsung 25R that accidentally got drained down to 0.5v. I got it to charge back up and I was going to play with it to see if it suffered damage or not. But then cigatron told me this story and then I decided I wouldn't even play with it. :lol:

I agree. If a cell goes that flat it's a question mark in my mind. For something that I frequently pocket carry I want nice un-abused cells in my mods.

I just got the low battery cutoff on my Innokin Proton. One cell showed complete black and the other showed a thin red line on the left. When I put them in the charger they read 3.21 and 3.11. I rank that as reasonably accurate measurement on the mod, FWIW.

Last edited:

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar

image-png.562141

Yes, 2.8v is the low end of acceptable max discharge (2.8-3.0v). Great for rating max mah but not great for batt longevity. I try to limit low voltage to 3.4-3.5v.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Yes, 2.8v is the low end of acceptable max discharge (2.8-3.0v). Great for rating max mah but not great for batt longevity. I try to limit low voltage to 3.4-3.5v.

Agree. I'll just periodically test MAH on a cell to check its condition. The Zanflare C4 is my newest charger and I'm trying out the features. I just recently started putting date labels on my cells. Some are older and I'd have to go back and looking at shipping dates on those if I can remember if they were ordered from RTDBatteries, Lion Wholesale, or IMRBatteries.

Maria S.

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2016
Tampa Bay
Wow really, I hate when they show this crap, you can see it was in his pocket and he didnt lock or turn his battery off. It's the not the mod or battery, it's the person operating it. It's ...... like this give vaping a complex. Cigarettes burn houses down!!! Ughh so frustrating [emoji36]

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

Maria S.

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2016
Tampa Bay
I couldn't have said it better! It's the people using the devices, not the devices.
Need more details to make a hypothesis.

Many battery explosions or fires are caused by carrying naked batteries in a pocket. Contact with coins or keys creates an electrical circuit causing the battery to release its energy and vent (hot gas) or go into thermal runaway (flames or explosion).

Solution: Always carry loose batteries in a plastic battery case.​

Using a "direct battery" or "hybrid-top" mechanical mod with a juice attachment without an extended center pin will cause the battery to hard short with similar results to the above.

Solution: Know how to operate your particular battery device safely and use the proper juice attachment on it.​

Continuous pressure on the fire button can cause a rapid over-discharge of the battery resulting in venting, fire, or explosion.

Solution: Deactivate the fire button when not in use.​

Keep your batteries in "like new" condition.

Solution: Inspect the insulating wraps and insulator rings for tears, holes, or other defects. Either re-wrap or replace damaged wraps/rings or discontinue using the battery.​

Transporting any battery device in a pocket or purse without first disabling the battery can result in a bad day.

Solution: If a regulated mod, turn the mod off during transport. If a mechanical mod, lock the fire button or remove either the juice attachment or battery.​

Batteries are the most important piece of gear in our setups, so it makes good sense to buy the best available no matter the cost. Its not worth it to save a buck or two on an off brand, "re-wrap" brand. Brands like Lg, Samsung, or Sony are of better quality than the off brand batteries.

There is no such thing as a completely "safe" battery. They all have the potential to be dangerous if misused or abused.

Battery Basics for Mods: The Definative Battery Guide for Vaping
Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries Part 1
Are You Using a "Rewrap" (Rebranded or Aftermarket) Battery?
A Beginner's Guide to Your First Mechanical Mod

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
What would it cost to include a printed battery safety card with every mod and battery sold? Sometimes, repetition makes things soak into our brains. I'm not one for overly stressful regulations, but safety saves lives and body parts.

Every mod I've bought from all different vendors had warning battery cards. I can't remember if my last battery order itself included one.

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Need more details to make a hypothesis.

Many battery explosions or fires are caused by carrying naked batteries in a pocket. Contact with coins or keys creates an electrical circuit causing the battery to release its energy and vent (hot gas) or go into thermal runaway (flames or explosion).

Solution: Always carry loose batteries in a plastic battery case.​

Using a "direct battery" or "hybrid-top" mechanical mod with a juice attachment without an extended center pin will cause the battery to hard short with similar results to the above.

Solution: Know how to operate your particular battery device safely and use the proper juice attachment on it.​

Continuous pressure on the fire button can cause a rapid over-discharge of the battery resulting in venting, fire, or explosion.

Solution: Deactivate the fire button when not in use.​

Keep your batteries in "like new" condition.

Solution: Inspect the insulating wraps and insulator rings for tears, holes, or other defects. Either re-wrap or replace damaged wraps/rings or discontinue using the battery.​

Transporting any battery device in a pocket or purse without first disabling the battery can result in a bad day.

Solution: If a regulated mod, turn the mod off during transport. If a mechanical mod, lock the fire button or remove either the juice attachment or battery.​

Batteries are the most important piece of gear in our setups, so it makes good sense to buy the best available no matter the cost. Its not worth it to save a buck or two on an off brand, "re-wrap" brand. Brands like Lg, Samsung, or Sony are of better quality than the off brand batteries.

There is no such thing as a completely "safe" battery. They all have the potential to be dangerous if misused or abused.

Battery Basics for Mods: The Definative Battery Guide for Vaping
Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries Part 1
Are You Using a "Rewrap" (Rebranded or Aftermarket) Battery?
A Beginner's Guide to Your First Mechanical Mod
I usually carry mine in a silicone sleeve. Works like a charm and it's less bulky.

Battery Sleeve Silicone for 3 x 18650 batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread