Natural Tobaccos - Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

morningdew

ECF Veteran
May 7, 2013
People's Republic of Stroud
My low power MTL style means I don't blast through juice. Sadly, I just finished off the last of my RBFS and still have some MVJ I'm enjoying. Though the amazingly long steep they've been through has lessened the flavor, I was/am still able to enjoy them. That they are still good juices after all this time says a lot about the standards they were originally produced with.

I've never tried Black Note but got a few bottles of Real Tobacco (which were discounted when they first opened). It was very good juice. But the $1 per ml price of both brands is a price I will not accept. I've had no problems whatsoever with N.E.T and still prefer Clay's mixing anyhow.

Yep. Working my way through my latest N.E.T. order and no problems at all. I buy in bulk, using my discount from previous order, and even with shipping to UK price is around £2.80 per 10ml (edited sterling and not dollars!). I tend to go for double packs of 120ml which also helps keep the cost down. Never tried RTE, could never justify their prices. For me there's no discernible difference in juices from N.E.T. today or 3 years ago. Then again I find no difference in steeping a juice either.

Last edited:

boomerdude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oh I used to love MOV back in the day. I tried to put in an order a few months ago and was disappointed to learn they stopped delivering internationally. I never did get to try Sunday Morning or Americano but I enjoyed Pendragon, Apache and that other one with the Latakia and burley who's name I've forgotten for the moment. It was a signature NET and embodied all the great things about NET vaping. It was clean, and balanced the burley, Virginia and Latakia really well.

Quicknicjuice used to be right up there with the best as well. The Havana daydream was sensational. I remember it being a rich robust clean cigar taste.

I haven't had any juices from either vendor in 5 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tgs3

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I have had no problem with NET.com and I order often. Their service, in my experience, is great. I haven't always liked what I ordered, but I am relatively new to vaping and am still in the process of determining what I like. I am vaping 'organic spirit', 'coventry' and 'dover court' from NET.com and will continue to order those in the quantity of 15ml.

I do like RY4 flavors and have recently been vaping some non-NET, non-WTA RY4 liquids. Most of them are good, but there does seem to be something missing. I plan to order a RY4 from HHV today. However, since I am now down to a pack of analogs a month, I am vaping much more - and price wise, NETs and WTAs are a bit on the high side.

Reactions: AnthonyB

dsheik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2014
overland park, KS
My low power MTL style means I don't blast through juice. Sadly, I just finished off the last of my RBFS and still have some MVJ I'm enjoying. Though the amazingly long steep they've been through has lessened the flavor, I was/am still able to enjoy them. That they are still good juices after all this time says a lot about the standards they were originally produced with.

I've never tried Black Note but got a few bottles of Real Tobacco (which were discounted when they first opened). It was very good juice. But the $1 per ml price of both brands is a price I will not accept. I've had no problems whatsoever with N.E.T and still prefer Clay's mixing anyhow.

For RTE use the 20% discount code Boilerguy linked and Blacknote lowered their prices to $23 down from $29. Their new lineup is $19 but I didnt like like the one i tried. Both RTE and Blacknote use free priority shipping, so you get it fast with no shipping costs. They both also use cold maceration extraction which is why IMO they taste cleaner and more consistent than NET. You used to be able to select cold extraction at NET.com, but now you get heat extraction by default. I still order from NET.com but I do prefer RTE and Blacknote.

AnthonyB

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
Sydney Australia
For RTE use the 20% discount code Boilerguy linked and Blacknote lowered their prices to $23 down from $29. Their new lineup is $19 but I didnt like like the one i tried. Both RTE and Blacknote use free priority shipping, so you get it fast with no shipping costs. They both also use cold maceration extraction which is why IMO they taste cleaner and more consistent than NET. You used to be able to select cold extraction at NET.com, but now you get heat extraction by default. I still order from NET.com but I do prefer RTE and Blacknote.

There was a time when you would be more likely
to hear that Elvis was sighted than an opinion that a vendor was favored over NET.com. Net.com was that good in the old days.

Business cycles of vape vendors seem to have steep short arcs.

When NET.com first started most juices were available in cold Mac, at least after a few weeks of the initial release. No doubt, cold Mac needs 4-6 weeks to prepare so the heat extract version would come out sooner. However as you said, many of the juices now are only available in heat Mac. Though I have noticed some of the cigarette based extractions like big spirit and the NS brown and others are available in cold Mac.

I think heat extraction is dead. We were all still figuring out what produced the best NET a few years ago and many home made extractions were being made with heat Mac to speed up a brew and not have to wait weeks for a finished product. Many NET vendors were using heat Mac as well. It was a trade off between quality and clarity of flavour and speed of production.

We used euphemisms to describe heat Mac brews like 'heat Mac gives the juice a stronger fuller hit' but in retrospect, IMO heat Mac dulled the important nuances in tobacco juices and made it taste a bit dirty or ashy.

Heat Mac involves warming up PG and VG to about 110 degrees Fahrenheit. Since when is this good for solvents? I think it causes juice to have a shorter life. It dulls flavour, kills the nuances and makes a juice less clean. It disobeys all the rules for the proper preservation and storage of juice. Now I am not a molecular chemist or physicist but I am pretty sure heating up solvents for heat Mac deteriorates the freshness and quality of a solvent.

We now see reputable vendors like Real Tobacco Extracts, Blacknote and Kindjuice producing only cold Macs.

While heat Mac is a good option for home extractions for personal use I don't think that it is acceptable in the market place for a vendor to justify fast produced heat macerations anymore.

Last edited:

BoilerGuy

Unresolved Status
Sep 13, 2016
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
There was a time when you would be more likely
to hear that Elvis was sighted than an opinion that a vendor was favored over NET.com. Net.com was that good in the old days.

Business cycles of vape vendors seem to have steep short arcs.

When NET.com first started most juices were available in cold Mac, at least after a few weeks of the initial release. No doubt, cold Mac needs 4-6 weeks to prepare so the heat extract version would come out sooner. However as you said, many of the juices now are only available in heat Mac. Though I have noticed some of the cigarette based extractions like big spirit and the NS brown and others are available in cold Mac.

I think heat extraction is dead. We were all still figuring out what produced the best NET a few years ago and many home made extractions were being made with heat Mac to speed up a brew and not have to wait weeks for a finished product. Many NET vendors were using heat Mac as well. It was a trade off between quality and clarity of flavour and speed of production.

We used euphemisms to describe heat Mac brews like 'heat Mac gives the juice a stronger fuller hit' but in retrospect, IMO heat Mac dulled the important nuances in tobacco juices and made it taste a bit dirty or ashy.

Heat Mac involves warming up PG and VG to about 110 degrees Fahrenheit. Since when is this good for solvents? I think it causes juice to have a shorter life. It dulls flavour, kills the nuances and makes a juice less clean. It disobeys all the rules for the proper preservation and storage of juice. Now I am not a molecular chemist or physicist but I am pretty sure heating up solvents for heat Mac deteriorates the freshness and quality of a solvent.

We now see reputable vendors like Real Tobacco Extracts, Blacknote and Kindjuice producing only cold Macs.

While heat Mac is a good option for home extractions for personal use I don't think that it is acceptable in the market place for a vendor to justify fast produced heat macerations anymore.

AnthonyB, I agree with your observations and as a home extractor, for some time, I found the flavor of my juices far superior when I used the to cold macerate method. I also, believe it not, I found that my net liquids would tend to loose some flavor the greater the filtering took out particles and all sediment.
I really do not feel everyone, including many fine vendors, had that same result, however I am sure some folks did.

newyork13

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2013
western Massachusetts
This discussion about the heat vs. cold is quite interesting.
I know less about net's than you folks do, though I enjoy them a lot.
When I compare NET's RY4 to RTE's (which are the only two I have from both which have a similar taste profile), I find the NET version more flavorful and richer. I also, without doubt, find it gunks up more by miles.

AnthonyB

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
Sydney Australia
Yep, I stuck with Real Tobacco Extracts primarily because they were all long steep cold maceration. The flavors are very clean and the individual variety notes are very sharply defined. The "cooked" extracts always came across to my palate as muddy. They also gunked up my coils much faster than the cold macerations.

Yeah muddy is a good adjective. I've thrown half a liter of NETs down the drain in the last 12-18 months because I couldn't stand the 'muddy' flavour.

AnthonyB

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
Sydney Australia
AnthonyB, I agree with your observations and as a home extractor, for some time, I found the flavor of my juices far superior when I used the to cold macerate method. I also, believe it not, I found that my net liquids would tend to loose some flavor the greater the filtering took out particles and all sediment.
I really do not feel everyone, including many fine vendors, had that same result, however I am sure some folks did.

A few years ago I experimented in a big way with tobacco extraction and exclusively used the heat Maceration technique (a rice cooker method actually) and also a windowsill method. I didn't try cold Mac at all.

Well all of my juice tasted muddy and lacked nuance. I didn't keep a single bottle. They all went down the drain. Some of my juices were acceptable and some turned out really bad.

I think I might give tobacco extraction another shot this winter as the days become shorter and I am not as busy. I will use only a cold Mac method. Is, tobacco in a mason jar, 6 weeks in a dark COOL place and then filtered with 3 micron paper.

I might not go in so big this time :)

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
A few years ago I experimented in a big way with tobacco extraction and exclusively used the heat Maceration technique (a rice cooker method actually) and also a windowsill method. I didn't try cold Mac at all.

Well all of my juice tasted muddy and lacked nuance. I didn't keep a single bottle. They all went down the drain. Some of my juices were acceptable and some turned out really bad.

I think I might give tobacco extraction another shot this winter as the days become shorter and I am not as busy. I will use only a cold Mac method. Is, tobacco in a mason jar, 6 weeks in a dark COOL place and then filtered with 3 micron paper.

I might not go in so big this time :)

This is the way I started also. One thing I did differently was:
1. As far as a "muddy" taste? I solved that by first taking the the extract and running it through cheese cloth, trapping the tobacco and keeping that drained liquid in a second jar. Afterwards, I returned the liquid into the original jar and let it further settle out any sediment for a couple days. I used all but the last of the remaining juice down to where the sediment was and filtered that, as stated below...No muddy taste!
2. I filtered with a french coffee press then
3. I filtered with a 5 micron filer on part of the extract
4. I filtered the rest of the extract by taking the french press liquid and filtered it by putting it through a paper coffee filter and a second time with a new paper coffee filter.
This process showed the following. the 5 micron process, naturally, showed up clearer then the paper coffee filter and gunked up less than the paper filter method. However, the paper filter method had a little more flavor in my sub ohm tank! yes it caused me to rebuild/change the coils more often, but the trade off was much more satisfying to me, at least. Hope this helps somebody..... :smokie:

GeekyGeezer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Flyover Central
.. yes it caused me to rebuild/change the coils more often, but the trade off was much more satisfying to me, at least. Hope this helps somebody..... :smokie:

I might be talking out of the part I sit on since I've never tried to extract, but I have yet to find a really good N.E.T that wasn't hard on my coils. Some are worse than others, but IMHO it's just the price paid for great taste.

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
I might be talking out of the part I sit on since I've never tried to extract, but I have yet to find a really good N.E.T that wasn't hard on my coils. Some are worse than others, but IMHO it's just the price paid for great taste.

The things we must endure to enjoy a great vape. Suffer on, LOL.

KostVape

Mar 16, 2018
What is the smoothest, mild/subtle tobacco flavor with a slight sweetness you have tried? (and NO aftertaste)
This one was the best tobacco juice which I tried. Maybe you will like this one too. Vaping it till now.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    189 KB · Views: 65
Reactions: AnthonyB

AnthonyB

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
Sydney Australia
This is the way I started also. One thing I did differently was:
1. As far as a "muddy" taste? I solved that by first taking the the extract and running it through cheese cloth, trapping the tobacco and keeping that drained liquid in a second jar. Afterwards, I returned the liquid into the original jar and let it further settle out any sediment for a couple days. I used all but the last of the remaining juice down to where the sediment was and filtered that, as stated below...No muddy taste!
2. I filtered with a french coffee press then
3. I filtered with a 5 micron filer on part of the extract
4. I filtered the rest of the extract by taking the french press liquid and filtered it by putting it through a paper coffee filter and a second time with a new paper coffee filter.
This process showed the following. the 5 micron process, naturally, showed up clearer then the paper coffee filter and gunked up less than the paper filter method. However, the paper filter method had a little more flavor in my sub ohm tank! yes it caused me to rebuild/change the coils more often, but the trade off was much more satisfying to me, at least. Hope this helps somebody..... :smokie:

Thanks checkum. I will definitely refer to this method when I trial some batches :)

Reactions: checkum

GeekyGeezer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Flyover Central
Has anyone here heard of Boardroom Vapor? I saw someone mention them in a group I am in, but I cannot find any detailed information on whether they are NET's or not. The descriptions on some of their flavors describe having Burley, Perique, etc., which make me think they are NET's.

They're new to me, but after four years of looking for NETs about the only constant that seems to exist is that if someone is going to all the trouble to extract tobacco they prominently mention their components.

I've gone as far as emailing three or four makers and each answer was pretty much the same: "NET? I dunno what that is, but I get my tobacco stuff when I order the rest of my flavorings."

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
They're new to me, but after four years of looking for NETs about the only constant that seems to exist is that if someone is going to all the trouble to extract tobacco they prominently mention their components.

I've gone as far as emailing three or four makers and each answer was pretty much the same: "NET? I dunno what that is, but I get my tobacco stuff when I order the rest of my flavorings."

You hit the nail on the head GeekyGeezer. If they aren't proud enough of their product to say what's in it I stay clear, especially if they do not have a website and someone else sells it for them. The second question that come to my mind is where the :censored: is it made, let alone what's in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread