NEW Dicodes Dani Box Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.

access0denied

ECF Veteran
Oct 9, 2015
Anyone having issues with the Dicodes charger. Use it for both my mini, and 21700. Does anyone have issues where it doesn't fully charge it. Happens about 1/4 of the time for my mini. Gets to about 4.05 volts, then it says it's full. I've tried cleaning the contacts on the mod, but doesn't seem to help. Anyone else with this issue? Seems like it just happens to my mini, but that may be due to the fact that I use my mini more than my 21700.

access0denied

ECF Veteran
Oct 9, 2015
My charger only gets the batteries to 4.15v. I also notice that, when I start vaping, the mod tells me the freshly charged battery is at 3.8v. I've been blaming the batteries, but who knows?

My charger gets em up to around 4.17-4.18. But really slows down the higher it gets.

GeekyGeezer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Flyover Central
My charger never goes to 4.2 volts either. But .03 to .05, even .15 (or even a bit more) variation is nothing to be worried about and something you'd never notice if you weren't checking the display readout. And considering the wiring and connections inside a mod, I doubt it's possible to ever get two of them with exactly the same readings. At least for the 30 or 40 I've owned, I've seldom seen it. Boards are not designed to give precise, 99% accurate lab quality readings. If they were, none of us would be able to afford a mod.

As for the charger slowing down as the battery gets more full, that's what a good charger is designed to do. At a level close to the shut off point, the charger is essentially trickle charging by design. Sort of a bad analogy, but you don't approach a stop sign at 50 mph and then slam on your brakes 10 feet away from it.

So yes, it might stop charging a bit below the maximum voltage level. But IMO, it is absolutely nothing to be concerned with.

I am seeing some interesting behavior on the new MiBoxer charger I recently bought. It has a number of amperage levels and chooses a specific one for each slot depending on the internal resistance of the battery you've installed. I haven't actually tracked it, but after maybe 15 or 20 charges it seems like it's becoming clear that I can immediately tell my older batteries without checking the dates. Their internal resistance seems to be higher as the charger selects a lower charging rate for them.

I'm hoping that I'm not just imagining it so that I now have a concrete method of deciding when it's time to give up on a cell and recycle it. No more "Hey, is this thing not lasting as long as it used to?"

jwbnyc

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2014
You are not imagining it GG.

The charger is working with the batteries to maximize battery life.

Another good way to get an indication of how your battery is doing is to check the voltage, reading on the mod itself, after a hit.

The Dicodes will read the battery sag.

I have my display set to read after firing.

Just blip the fire button to get the battery voltage, then read it again after firing.

These Two readings will be different.

My current vape is reading 4.1 before, and 3.7 after. There’s your sag. The closer it gets to 3.2, or so, the less you’re going to want to use that battery.

handy.

tobarger

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2010
NorthCoastOhio
Can anyone tell me how to Reset a Dani Box Mini. I set the MenuOn = 0, just to see what it would do. It says in the manual that it can only be set to 1...5. Now hitting any menu button will allow changing the Temperature but no access to any other menu items. I tried removing the battery for a few minutes but no change. This is with a brand new Dani Box Mini I just received yesterday from Creme de Vape.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Can anyone tell me how to Reset a Dani Box Mini. I set the MenuOn = 0, just to see what it would do. It says in the manual that it can only be set to 1...5. Now hitting any menu button will allow changing the Temperature but no access to any other menu items. I tried removing the battery for a few minutes but no change. This is with a brand new Dani Box Mini I just received yesterday from Creme de Vape.
Mission accomplished. You saw what it would do.

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;) And seriously, I know that bites...all excited to use the new Dani, and now you can't yet!:( And it is odd that it lets you set it lower than what works.

I'm sure someone here will know how to help.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Mission accomplished. You saw what it would do.

I know that I should NOT have laughed, but... ;)

@tobarger - there's no way to get it to what I pasted below?

I'm confident there's a way to do it. Worst case, send Keith an email. He's much better than just "good", and I have zero doubt he'll know what to do.

DicodesMenuReset.png

kas122461

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2013
Indiana, USA

@Katdarling is the real pro with the menu's on these, amazing actually. I really struggle with it and I just use power mode, once I get it set, I never change anything. :blush:

KAS

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
@Katdarling is the real pro with the menu's on these, amazing actually. I really struggle with it and I just use power mode, once I get it set, I never change anything. :blush:

KAS

Thanks, dahlink, and I do appreciate that. However, DPL's display of the menu overview is the best, and the same that I would have offered.

I do hope, @tobarger, that you'll let us know how this story evolves. Okie dokie?

tobarger

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2010
NorthCoastOhio
Keith from Creme de Vape is trying to help, and he contacted a couple people at Dicodes. I just got it yesterday and I'm afraid I'll have to send it back. I'm surprised that I'm the first to try setting the MenuOn Click to 0, I checked the Mini I've had for over a year and 0 is available on that one also. If setting the MenuOn Click to 0 screws up the device than it should not be available. I wonder if there are other settings that will totally screw up the device.
Oh well, I'll keep you guys posted on how this turns out.

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
I thought you might have to send it back, @tobarger. I mean, you couldn't get into the menu at all, so how would you be able to get to the "restore factory defaults" setting?

And here I thought I was screwed when I accidentally set the scroll speed too fast. Thought I'd never get out of that pickle.

kas122461

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2013
Indiana, USA
Keith from Creme de Vape is trying to help, and he contacted a couple people at Dicodes. I just got it yesterday and I'm afraid I'll have to send it back. I'm surprised that I'm the first to try setting the MenuOn Click to 0, I checked the Mini I've had for over a year and 0 is available on that one also. If setting the MenuOn Click to 0 screws up the device than it should not be available. I wonder if there are other settings that will totally screw up the device.
Oh well, I'll keep you guys posted on how this turns out.

I am not sure which part of the menu that you changed to 0, but I do kind of remember that one time I changed one of the settings from 0 to 1, and it put me in temp control mode. It took me about a half hour to change it back. I get lost very easy in that menu. :|

KAS

tobarger

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2010
NorthCoastOhio
OK, my Mini is back to normal, I got an email from Dicodes Germany.
It was easy to straighten out but I thought I had tried everything yesterday.

Here is part of the email I received from Dicodes.
"That is indeed a hidden feature on the Mini, which was requested several customers before the mini came out, so we implemented it, but didn’t document in the manual. I’m very sorry.
It is very simple:
With Menu-On Click=0, pressing +/- will get you in the “value change” mode and further pressing +/- will immediately change power (power mode) or temperature (in TC-mode) – that is obvious. You see that in the display as the value is immediately highlighted, which is the “value change” mode indicator.
At this moment (display lid), just shortly (!) press the fire button and you leave the “value change” mode and the value will be displayed normal. Then, you can navigate through the menu."

Last edited:

GeekyGeezer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Flyover Central
And people ask me why I don't mind spending the money a Dicodes mod costs

1. You were able to contact the maker
2. You got a very prompt response
3. The rep didn't try to sidetrack you or point fingers at others and did not ask you to make videos, jump through hoops, etc..
4. The rep had good knowledge of the product and immediately realized what was wrong
5. An effective solution was provided

No muss, no fuss.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
OK, my Mini is back to normal, I got an email from Dicodes Germany.
It was easy to straighten out but I thought I had tried everything yesterday.

Here is part of the email I received from Dicodes.
"That is indeed a hidden feature on the Mini, which was requested several customers before the mini came out, so we implemented it, but didn’t document in the manual. I’m very sorry.
It is very simple:
With Menu-On Click=0, pressing +/- will get you in the “value change” mode and further pressing +/- will immediately change power (power mode) or temperature (in TC-mode) – that is obvious. You see that in the display as the value is immediately highlighted, which is the “value change” mode indicator.
At this moment (display lid), just shortly (!) press the fire button and you leave the “value change” mode and the value will be displayed normal. Then, you can navigate through the menu."

:thumb::thumbs:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread