New member looking for advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloaky

Oct 31, 2017
Hello and thanks for having me.

I have been vaping since July using a Innokin T22 (4ML tank) and I really enjoy the simplicity. General upkeep and Coil swapping is easy.

I am looking to upgrade and I have probably spent too much time reading forums and websites but I just can’t decide.

I don’t want too much control but would like to cloud chase from time to time.

At the moment the Smok baby alien kit looks like a contender but I keep reading about leaking tanks and burns coils!

Any practical suggestions?

Cheers

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Hi Cloaky, and welcome to ECF! I'm not a "cloud" producing vaper, so I don't think I can give you too much advice on tanks. Depending if you are interested in TC accuracy or not, there are so many setups to choose from. Wismec is a reliable brand, and they offer some nice mods. I am very fond of Tesla ecig and they have a lot of cloud producing setups, with a lot of style options and they tend to be very reliable. I have a Tesla Steampunk Nano 120 that I loved so much (the quality of the vape) that I immediately bought a backup. It does TC well, and Tesla's current board seems to be very efficient with power. There's always an Innoken more powerful cloud chasing setup and etc.

If you really love the Alien mod, there's no reason not to get it, I am hearing a lot less complaints lately, I think they may have rushed some products to market due to deeming but it does seem complaints are ebbing at the moment. I WOULD make sure to buy it from a reputable vendor who offers a decent warranty period, in case anything happens, but I don't know that some complaints (some of which may have been user error) would necessarily need to stop you if this is a setup that you like and you think fits your needs.

Best of luck, and welcome to ECF!

Anna

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
I have the Smok G-Priv with the Smok Big Baby Beast tanks, I ended up buying the RBA decks and am using dual SS Claptons in temp mode. Smok did run into some problems with there tanks leaking but they could be repaired by moving a wire causing the problem. Hopefully by now that has been fixed. I haven't really run into any problems with the tank because I use the RBA decks they all work great but you do have coils and wicking to be done.
I also have a Voopoo I bought and think it is great and comes with a good price, I can also use the Smok tanks with it, actually it will work with any tank. There is no tank with it so the tank is bought by itself.
There is also the Smok G-Priv 2 which has been added, touch screen similar to what I have. $58 without tank at
SMOK G-PRIV 2 230W Touch Screen TC Box Mod
I'd probably go with that since I do like the Smok I have.
The Smok Alien seems good but not owning one it is difficult to say, lots of things are not mentioned in the reviews.

tgs3

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Welcome, Cloaky. I too have been using the t22. Great tank, cheap coils. However, I have recently upgraded to a variable wattage device, namely the Aspire Zelos which is compatible with the t22 tank. Best of both worlds, so to speak. I also got two other devices compatible with the t22 tank - an eleaf istick 30w and an innokin cool fire pebble. Backups are important to me. I was clueless when I joined here but a couple of members fortunately guided me in that direction. It has worked out great.

Aspire Zelos 50W - Aspire® Official Site
http://www.eleafworld.com/istick-30w/

Didn't notice your desire to cloud chase. The Zelos comes with a sub-ohm coil installed by default. It also has a coil for mtl in the box. The tank is nautilus 2 which I believe is highly regarded.

Last edited:

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
There was a similar thread recently and I will give the same response to this one....

I have an AL85 kit and like it! However, since you mention cloud chasing, a single 18650 battery mod will limit the power to 60 watts or less. While that works OK for my Baby Beast tank (I run it around 55 watts), the battery life is not that great. You could carry spare/extra batteries (in a protective case, of course), but I prefer using a dual 18650 battery mod. Smok makes a number of those if you want a kit with a Baby or Big Baby tank. If not, there is a ton out there to pick from.

As far as the leaking "issue", I have 5 Baby and Big Baby tanks I've been using for over a year as well as 3 TFV4 tanks and have never had any leaking "issues" with any of them (my TFV8, yes until I found the fix). I have to believe there are others with the same success, but only those having a problem post about it. I have no idea why some are having leaking "issues", but would think it comes down to what are the odds you would have a problem.....and nobody has that number.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you get!

Cloaky

Oct 31, 2017
Thank you all for the warm welcome.

Cloud chasing is not a priority at the moment even though I did mention it.

I will look in to all that have been recommended here and I will still keep my T22 as a back up as it has been so solid so far.

I do think that a dual 18650 set up would be best.

Would anyone know of a reputable UK seller of these batteries? Amazon and eBay look flooded with questionable ones.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Smoant Battlestar is a great mod. dual 18650, You'd need a charger and batteries.

I have a Battlestar and a Fuchai 213 (original) and those paired with almost any tank that takes Eleaf coils (except the very budget 'Melo III') gets my vote.
I like the Aspire eVo (extended glass) and the iJust S tank.

No Smok around here. You'd be 'avin a giraffe suggesting that nonsense.

Reactions: Cloaky

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Would anyone know of a reputable UK seller of these batteries? Amazon and eBay look flooded with questionable ones.

Amazon and ebay have a lot of fakes.
However, one of the top genuine battery sellers has an ebay site. I have used him many times.
big_f_d_d also known as Torchy.

If I was in need tomorrow, I'd probably get 2 x Samsung 30Qs from ecolux shop.

Fogstar also sell 30Qs

There you go.
Torchy or Ecolux or Fogstar.

There are some companies claiming to develop batteries for their customers.
I *personally* wouldn't buy re-wrapped batteries because there is only so much sales pitch I can stomach. A company that claims to have 'developed' batteries are not my idea of having much integrity. Nobody 'develops' batteries other than Samsung, LG, Sanyo etc.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Thank you all for the warm welcome.
Cloud chasing is not a priority at the moment even though I did mention it.
I will look in to all that have been recommended here and I will still keep my T22 as a back up as it has been so solid so far.
I do think that a dual 18650 set up would be best.
Welcome and glad you joined.
Using a mod with external batteries is an advanced vaping accessory and in my opinion, not simple. If you want simplicity, might consider an internal battery mod that has variable wattage and can handle the occasional sub ohm requirement. I believe the Eleaf Istick 40 TC falls in this category among others.
Regarding the atomizer, you would be looking for a tank which can accept sub ohm coils (consist of wire coil and wick assembly) and non sub ohm premade-off-the-shelf drop in coils. I'm not familiar with premade coils but perhaps someone can suggest a tank or you can open a new thread of inquiry.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread