New Variable Voltage device from smoktech?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgmrick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
New York
It's not a problem I just use my 2 Darwins for that mgmrick,,,,, I have nothing against this beast of a mod personally, I just know I have a few friends that have had there's go bad on the first batch and sent them back already that's all, and I like the USA mods better, I find them of a higher quality for the most part.

You were talking about provari.

A provari is worth nothing to me.

It can not run duals at 6 volts.

I have a varitube abs plastic that can and does run dual coils at 6 volts and cost 1/3 of provari

ObsceneJesster

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2012
Baltimore
You were talking about provari.

A provari is worth nothing to me.

It can not run duals at 6 volts.

I have a varitube abs plastic that can and does run dual coils at 6 volts and cost 1/3 of provari

If I were using these: Tank Replacement Dual Coil Cartomizers, 1.25 Ohms, Single Hole

Why couldn't I run them at 6 volts on a Provari.

Cant really compare a single battery mod to a stacked battery mod. Stacked batteries can deliver higher power. People who want a ton of power need to go VMAXX. People who want tried and true with in a complete package go Provari.

Bahiaboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2011
London/Alicante
Newest batch in Europe now has improved fire button, and after changing batterys it is set at 3.0 volts. Also seemes to be diferent calibrated, still very strong, but not so much as before. Though I have not seen new metered results, just comments I picked up from a German forum.

That is great news picking mine up this Morning in Sunny Benidorm :)

Bahiaboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2011
London/Alicante
Picked it up ;o) battery,s on charge 1st impressions are good looking device of decent quality (Better build & quality than LT ),great size (slightly smaller/thinner than LT)
The best bit must be the price 93€ Delivered for the Vmax PV, 2 X 18350 AW IMR battery,s and a generic 18650/18350 charger
This was with Yovapeo.es must recommend them for the speediest service and delivery I have ever received from any supplier and they deliver free anywhere in Europe
Whilst typing this the battery,s have charged and just tried it wow !!! (Thanks to the person who said start at 3 Volts ;o) I get a similar hit on this at 3 Volts as I was getting on the LT at 5 Volts so point taken lol)
Just got to have a play with it now and work out the settings but 1st Impressions are Very Good :vapor:

Last edited:

ObsceneJesster

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2012
Baltimore
You can of course run dC's on a provari. Even a 1.5dc for that matter and run it really hot at that . Whoever told you that you cant is mistaken. You wouldnt want to run a DC any hotter then you can on the provari because it will just be burning filler at that point.

Exactly what I thought. For some reason, I don't think many understand this. It doesn't matter how hot or warm you like your vape. If you are burning filler, it all tastes like .....

John D in CT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Connecticut
Got a quick question re Battery,s I have the AW IMR 18350s in the Vmax right now ................

I have some Blue coloured 18350 IMR Batts & some Grey ICR ? 18350s are these "safe" to use in the Vmax ????

better to be safe than sorry !!!!

Cheers/hola -

I am not a battery expert, but I've heard enough to make me decide for myself that I will use IMR batteries in as many of my device as they will work in or fit in. it seems to me to be true that because of their "safer" chemistry - [IMR = manganese, ICR = cobalt] - as I understand it they will simply not/cannot violently explode or otherwise misbehave to the extent that they expose a user of them to a serious risk of bodily harm if they experience the kind of internal malfunction (internal short) or factor beyond their control (like an external short) that will cause them to start creating problematic amounts of heat due to a very rapid discharge (external short) or a positive<==>negative internal swapfest.

Put more plainly: if an IMR battery suffers a serious internal failure or gets shorted externally, it will gradually become warmer and warmer until it reaches somewhere below 500F., but will very likely allow the user of a PV to let go of the damn thing in plenty of time to avoid any injury at all, much less a grave one. ICR; probably not so much.

To me, I would rather have an "unprotected" battery like an IMR than a "protected" battery like I think most ICR's are. I also think that the advice you hear so often - "always use PROTECTED batteries" (!!!!) - is just about the worst you can give. An analogy that demonstrates the point, while being an admitted overstatement, would seem to me to be, say, choosing to wear a suicide bomb because it's "protected" against going off under normal circumstances, but could still explode if a problem develops inside any one of the sticks of dynamite, yet somehow feeling uncomforatable carrying a glass of water because it has no electronic circuitry that guards against a runaway reaction between the hydrogen and oxygen atoms.

Knowing what you're dealing with is always a good thing, so I searched the YouTube the other day for "lithium battery explosions", and watched a bunch of them. Here are two:

The first, the folks at Callie's Kustoms, shorting out an IMR battery:

Callies Kustoms IMR Battery and AW short circuit observations - YouTube

and then a demonstration of what happened to a laptop computer after its lithium ion battery pack (they did not say what the exact chemistry was, but I seriously doubt that it was lithium manganese) was deliberately shorted:

Li-Ion battery burnout - YouTube

I think these videos will very likely make you want to use the IMR's.

If anyone out there can poke some holes in my reasoning, I really do want to know if any of this is substantially incorrect, for my safety and everyone else's.

Last edited:

Bahiaboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2011
London/Alicante
Cheers/hola -

I am not a battery expert, but I've heard enough to make me decide for myself that I will use IMR batteries in as many of my device as they will work in or fit in. it seems to me to be true that because of their "safer" chemistry - [IMR = manganese, ICR = cobalt] - as I understand it they will simply not/cannot violently explode or otherwise misbehave to the extent that they expose a user of them to a serious risk of bodily harm if they experience the kind of internal malfunction (internal short) or factor beyond their control (like an external short) that will cause them to start creating problematic amounts of heat due to a very rapid discharge (external short) or a positive<==>negative internal swapfest.

Put more plainly: if an IMR battery suffers a serious internal failure or gets shorted externally, it will gradually become warmer and warmer until it reaches somewhere below 500F., but will very likely allow the user of a PV to let go of the damn thing in plenty of time to avoid any injury at all, much less a grave one. ICR; probably not so much.

To me, I would rather have an "unprotected" battery like an IMR than a "protected" battery like I think most ICR's are. I also think that the advice you hear so often - "always use PROTECTED batteries" (!!!!) - is just about the worst you can give. An analogy that demonstrates the point, while being an admitted overstatement, would seem to me to be, say, choosing to wear a suicide bomb because it's "protected" against going off under normal circumstances, but could still explode if a problem develops inside any one of the sticks of dynamite, yet somehow feeling uncomforatable carrying a glass of water because it has no electronic circuitry that guards against a runaway reaction between the hydrogen and oxygen atoms.

Knowing what you're dealing with is always a good thing, so I searched the YouTube the other day for "lithium battery explosions", and watched a bunch of them. Here are two:

The first, the folks at Callie's Kustoms, shorting out an IMR battery:

Callies Kustoms IMR Battery and AW short circuit observations - YouTube

and then a demonstration of what happened to a laptop computer after its lithium ion battery pack (they did not say what the exact chemistry was, but I seriously doubt that it was lithium manganese) was deliberately shorted:

Li-Ion battery burnout - YouTube

I think these videos will very likely make you want to use the IMR's.

If anyone out there can poke some holes in my reasoning, I really do want to know if any of this is substantially incorrect, for my safety and everyone else's.

Thanks for the very Comprehensive reply and advice !!! Yes I had a couple of the ICRs go on me using the SD11 Mod last year and indeed they did heat up to a very high temp........... I will stick to the IMRs which look to be the safest option :blink:

VAPNJ350

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
Jacksonville,FL.
Got a quick question re Battery,s I have the AW IMR 18350s in the Vmax right now ................

I have some Blue coloured 18350 IMR Batts & some Grey ICR ? 18350s are these "safe" to use in the Vmax ????

better to be safe than sorry !!!!

If it were me I would take whatever numbers/letters etc... that are on the "blue" 18350's and just make sure they are IMR HIGH DRAIN BATTERIES with a in depth search. I would NOT use ICR's in this mod. Protected ICR batteries have a much higher internal resistance than IMR batteries and won't be able to keep up with the higher amperage demands that the VMAX really needs to perform at it's absolute best. IMR HIGH DRAIN batteries is all you should use with the VMAX. Always keep this in mind when your looking to get batteries for your high end, high dollar devices.....Your device is only as good as the power source running it....It will ONLY perform as high as the power source inside of it. As much money as we spend on these devices, we should all spend that same coin on the best batteries money can buy to run them. We would probably have a lot less issues with ignorant people spending $100+ on a mod then going up to radio shack for batteries to save a few bucks then wonder why it blew up and want to sew anyone and everyone for what.....his obvious and pure stupidity.

Also their was a previous post talking about some VMAX's that had to be sent back after early failure , and before that speaking highly of darwins(which I had...and sold). Just wanted to point out a small but very legitimate fact. To my knowledge from personal friends of mine close by and many on a video forum,all had darwins, almost every single one they received had to be sent back due to the usb not charging it, the display going out, the connection, the thumb wheel not changing the wattage, some of which I witnessed 1st hand with my own and friends that were close by and some thru skype video showing me. They all had to be returned...now please dont get me wrong, their customer service was hands down 2nd to none and fast. But when I found out that when they had say 60 units to sell in stock and they would only put 30 on the site showing in stock because of all the returns, they wanted to make sure for every unit they sold they had a replacement for it ready to go out the door if need be, is this a good thing?....not sure. Is this a bad thing?....Still not sure. Maybe both... I think it just told me they weren't real confident in the stability of it. I think the concept of the darwin was really innovative and maybe even ahead of it's time a bit. As far as shape, hated it with a passion, the connection, hated it (brass..really, and wobbley). And a brass button that you had to have popeye forearms to push down...ridiculous! Now you put that same technology with a nice button and a nice 510 super sealed connection in a beautifully hand crafted tube type device...I'll be all over it. Why nobody has done it yet, I haven't a clue. ^ months from now you see it pop up in the mix ...remember what I posted. lol Take care everyone. .......................J

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
Unfortunately batteries are not a one size fits all thing.

I just recently won a beautiful wood bottom feeder. In theory you can run it stacked at 6V, else use a single 18650. A no brainer for me, since I'm happy at 8 - 9W, so I use 18650 with a 1.5 ohm atty.

Then, chemistry. Protected ICR or IMR? Even fresh off the charger, 4.2V, the battery is only going to be called on to provide 4.2/1.5 = 2.8 amps. Since the PV has zero electronics protection, and sometimes atties do go short circuit, I went for protected ICR; I've got one each of 2600 and 3100 mAh, highest draw is only around 1C.

IMR can have a bad day, too. Please see: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ures-serious-battery-failure-imr-18650-a.html

So, for a boost VV I'd absolutely use IMR, but for an unregulated single battery PV my own choice is high capacity protected ICR, relying on the battery to cover the short circuit protection. My choice isn't necessarily right for anyone else, just that it was a conscious thought process.

John D in CT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Connecticut
Unfortunately batteries are not a one size fits all thing.

I just recently won a beautiful wood bottom feeder. In theory you can run it stacked at 6V, else use a single 18650. A no brainer for me, since I'm happy at 8 - 9W, so I use 18650 with a 1.5 ohm atty.

Then, chemistry. Protected ICR or IMR? Even fresh off the charger, 4.2V, the battery is only going to be called on to provide 4.2/1.5 = 2.8 amps. Since the PV has zero electronics protection, and sometimes atties do go short circuit, I went for protected ICR; I've got one each of 2600 and 3100 mAh, highest draw is only around 1C.

IMR can have a bad day, too. Please see: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ures-serious-battery-failure-imr-18650-a.html

So, for a boost VV I'd absolutely use IMR, but for an unregulated single battery PV my own choice is high capacity protected ICR, relying on the battery to cover the short circuit protection. My choice isn't necessarily right for anyone else, just that it was a conscious thought process.

The key point to me is "How bad was the day for the user of a PV that experiences a failure with an IMR battery or batteries in a PV", worst-case scenario that the failure occurs when they have it in their mouth.

Those pictures look like exactly what I would expect as the aftermath of an IMR battery that had "gone thermal" and reached several hundred degrees fahrenheit inside an eyeglass case. I consider it just short of physically impossible that that event would have caused any significant harm to the user of that PV, even if had been in his or her mouth at the exact time of the failure. Short of, and perhaps even if, being exposed to a raging fire, I do not believe that IMR batteries will "explode", or otherwise be able to injure someone with the good sense to put down or drop a device that is getting objectionally warm to the touch.

As for "my own choice is high capacity protected ICR, relying on the battery to cover the short circuit protection", my view on that is expressed above in the admittedly exaggerated, but nonetheless IMO somewhat apt, "suicide bomb/glass of water" analogy. The IC in the ICR is going to be virtually useless in the case of an internal short, as I understand things so far.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread