New York just banned flavored e-cigs, starting immediately

Status
Not open for further replies.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
I am sure there will be plenty of stock blowouts. Better to sell at cost or even less than throw it all away...

Edit: Or have one hell of a vape party on the last day.
They're bared from selling it at all (in NY). Immediately. Maybe they can ship it back to another state or the manufacturer....

At least in MI she gave them some transition time. NY had to one up her. ;)

• Informative
Reactions: bnrkwest

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
Dutchess County, New York
New York City and New York state deserve what they get. They voted for it or by failing to vote tacitly approved what has been done. My sympathies are non-existent.
Can I get a Big Gulp cup of Coke in the city these days?
I disagree. I'm sure you don't think this couldn't happen in any other state. If the current resident of the White House writes the same flavor ban exec order, then all of us "deserve" what we get???
One man made this decision, not the elected legislature nor the state congress. This one man wrote his exec order while state congress was out of session.

This is the same orifice who tacked on an 11th hour amendment to a bill that renamed the Tappan Zee Bridge after his father!

Actually, vape shops and manufacturers should share some blame, too.
There is no reason to have cartoon characters on your juice bottles and boxes. It should not look like a "warheads" candy label. Do they have a right to put whatever they want on their package? Of course they do. How's that working for them?

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I'm listening to the youtube video of yesterday's health department hearing in NY. It confirms something about who's interested in this issue and who's not. The public speakers are vape shop owners and tax supported agencies and organizations, and a few vaping consumers representing themselves. Who is not represented are private citizens complaining that vaping was harming their interests. Apparently the non vaping public is not feeling enough concern to attend a meeting like this. This lack of concern would seem to include parents.

RedForeman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2010
Georgia
The death knell will be from the certification/regulation side in May as you say, IMHO. The flavor-ban is only part of it. Hell, right now, my local vape shop has limited flavors ostensibly due to "FDA rules" already. And ironically, they don't sell unflavored. They used to custom-make juice.

Sigh.
It's the way government is done these days. Don't like the way elected representatives are moving? Write an executive order and let the courts legislate it to the highest bidder. Political winds blowing the wrong way for such an edict? Get a disposable bureaucrat to throw out a regulation. Bonus points if it's a federal bureaucrat, since they can't be fired.

Willfully ignorant, third parties writing the rules in an effort to seem relevant and remain employed. Any connection between their agenda and the real world is purely accidental.

You really don't have to look very far to see other great examples of government service to safeguard law-abiding citizens by taking their rights away bit by bit. This recent attack on vaping is simply following a long established playbook. No surprises here.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
You really don't have to look very far to see other great examples of government service to safeguard law-abiding citizens by taking their rights away bit by bit. This recent attack on vaping is simply following a long established playbook. No surprises here.
It's doesn't matter if you blame "big government" or "big corporations" it all ends up being social engineering if the two are either complicit or it's an Oligarchy (corporate controlled government).

And even if you have a true "government of the people by the people for the people" if you can influence "the people" you're still "winning".

Look at Trump lately with his comments on the homeless problem. He's in CA today. So we libs/centrists run around saying "solve homelessness!" and point at the (R)'s and system as the problem. Now Trump comes along and orients his thinking and terms toward the elites and says "Boy, we're going to have to do something about this homeless thing, they're ruining the prestige of these fine areas they're camping in." Spin from the other side of the coin, but same result: Deal with the homeless problem.

Tomato, tomahto. Meh.
So regardless of if you're an elitist keeping "prestige" or a liberal bleeding heart sincerely worried about the homeless, the end result is both have to deal with it somehow.

Same with the combustibles market. It's a problem. BT has known it for decades, but has financial interests (and real world jobs) to protect. And the politicians actually aren't this stupid, they're just not 100% truthful...they know what the end game is; a "smokeless future" but they need BT's help. So they hand them the market. The devil you know....

BT could make cigs forever, they're protected. And the black market is huge, and so is the financial interest.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I think it could happen in any state. New York knew what it was getting and voted him back in anyway, life is hard. I'll wait to see what comes of Trump's comments.

I disagree. I'm sure you don't think this couldn't happen in any other state. If the current resident of the White House writes the same flavor ban exec order, then all of us "deserve" what we get???
One man made this decision, not the elected legislature nor the state congress. This one man wrote his exec order while state congress was out of session.

This is the same orifice who tacked on an 11th hour amendment to a bill that renamed the Tappan Zee Bridge after his father!

Actually, vape shops and manufacturers should share some blame, too.
There is no reason to have cartoon characters on your juice bottles and boxes. It should not look like a "warheads" candy label. Do they have a right to put whatever they want on their package? Of course they do. How's that working for them?

iVapeDIY

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2017
Toronto, Canada
po7xfobemxxyuenuk5gi.jpg

https://gizmodo.com/vaping-flavorpocalypse-comes-to-new-york-as-state-healt-1838201107

Gotta luv the backdrop :facepalm:

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
I think it could happen in any state. New York knew what it was getting and voted him back in anyway, life is hard. I'll wait to see what comes of Trump's comments.
I get where you're coming from but please remember that NYC controls the state's politics, at least mostly so. We did not vote Cuomo back in up where I live and we're not happy with what he's doing to us. ETA: also, not everyone in NYC asked for this, either.

RedForeman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2010
Georgia
Tomato, tomahto. Meh.
So regardless of if you're an elitist keeping "prestige" or a liberal bleeding heart sincerely worried about the homeless, the end result is both have to deal with it somehow.
Well I wasn't gonna get all political, but since we're there...

How about circumventing a democratic republic for the sake of special or invested interest. That's all I was saying.

RE the homeless problem, sort of a similar thing there, right? Bringing the full armed force of government to bear on the something that isn't the problem. You don't fix homeless without first dealing with drug abuse and mental health. Just so we're clearly off topic, I encourage folks that are interested in the homeless situation, find the Youtube video "Seattle is Dying." I did not offer a link, as I think an embedded video is not entirely useful or appropriate for this thread. Plus it's an hour long. Save it for when you're done pounding the keyboard and still have some important chores you need to procrastinate.

Not trying to cast shade on urban problems with that mini-tirade on homelessness. More about there being some solutions already being employed that many officials refuse to consider. Sometimes the conflict of interest is obvious, sometimes it's just another day in the life of a social justice warrior aka ignorance.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Menthol and tobacco only? Sorry, I don't like those flavors.:mad:

Is this the end for the majority of vape shops?
Most probably will be the end for shops. Shops can't survive by selling only tobacco flavors. Most vapers vape flavored e-liquid and say it was the flavors that allowed them to quit cigarettes. The vast majority of shops get their profit from flavored e-liquid. They usually operate on a very slim profit margin, a flavor ban will kill the industry.

Mark_Slis-Michigan_Testimony-2019-09-12.mp4

safe_image.php

Above link works and is safe, the video is just in an mp4 format that doesn't work in ECF media player.

This vape shop owner says it all. How banning flavors will ruin the industry. The highlight was talking about a 78 y/o customer who chose "Fruity COPYRIGHTDMCA Cereal" as her choice of flavors. A "must see" video.

So is it a ban on selling flavor juices or are they going to try to enforce not allowing citizens to vape flavors?

I foresee a lot of vape shops relocating to the surrounding borders of NY state.
It's a ban on selling flavored e-liquid. If you got them, vape'm.

This is becoming a national flavor ban. Relocating won't do anything.

Last edited:

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I get where you're coming from but please remember that NYC controls the state's politics, at least mostly so. We did not vote Cuomo back in up where I live and we're not happy with what he's doing to us. ETA: also, not everyone in NYC asked for this, either.

I agree that there are those who did not and would not vote for Cumo, Bloomberg and then DeBlasio. Were they as energized as the supporters of those three, did they get out and vote? AOC is a congresswoman by virtue, to some degree, of the low turn out in the primary. By action or by inaction, both are choices, you all have some rather poor rulers, I feel for those who voted and their person lost. I would have felt the same way if the 2016 election went the other way.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Hell, right now, my local vape shop has limited flavors ostensibly due to "FDA rules" already. And ironically, they don't sell unflavored. They used to custom-make juice.
Lots of shops gave up mixing their own juice when they had to register as tobacco products manufacturers and provide detailed lists of ingredients for each recipe they made in order to continue to do so.

The one I used to frequent early on would custom-make unflavored in any PG/VG/nic ratio you wanted if you asked for it. The only problem was, they charged the same price for it as any other juice, which got me making it myself pretty quickly.

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
New York City and New York state deserve what they get. They voted for it or by failing to vote tacitly approved what has been done. My sympathies are non-existent.
Can I get a Big Gulp cup of Coke in the city these days?
That's pretty mean-spirited.

ad356

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2010
north java, ny
i live in NY. i have hated NY for a long time. i wished i could afford to move. i never did like emperor andy. he's the biggest lying piece of filth i have ever seen in this state. i drive milk tanker for a living and i pickup farmer's milk. not that long ago he passed that stupid farm labor bill, apparently without even the slightest bit of research on the current financial state if the farms which is quite poor.

anyways this latest bunch of B.S. attacking vaping is just the latest bit of nonsense to come out of this buffoon. no research done on the actual causes of what is making people sick regarding "vaping" (quotes added because these people are vaping party drugs not what we are consuming). trumps national nonsense is just adding to this hysterical B.S. . the truth about cuomo, this NY vaping ban is not about health, not at all. cuomo wants to pick our pockets at the tune of $10+ per pack, with at least $5-6 going to the state.

cuomo is a ...... i dont often waste energy hating politicians but i hate this man. my wife is a 38 year old woman who suffers from COPD from smoking related causes. she got COPD after she quit smoking at 29 years of age. she has been vaping since with no ill effects. does that piece of #$% wish my wife to go back to smoking and wish my wonderful wife dead.

yes i said i hate cuomo. hate is a strong word but it fits. i hope this industry stands up and fights because they will not exist but in an underground market soon. an underground filled with possibly dangerous products. cant get those flavors anymore? instead of using products sold with the intention of vaping let's raid the grocery store and get some candy flavorings. it might be more dangerous but it's all we will have.

ad356

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2010
north java, ny

unfortunately many of us in NY state did not vote this clown back in. NYC elects who they want. no term limits. no one in wyoming co has a say weather or this clown stays in office. we need to seperate NYC into its own district. they do not have our interested in mind, hopefully when its time to elect for Governor there are enough vapers in this state that we can rid of this clown once and for all. emperor andy sucks

Horselady154

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
United States
I'm listening to the youtube video of yesterday's health department hearing in NY. It confirms something about who's interested in this issue and who's not. The public speakers are vape shop owners and tax supported agencies and organizations, and a few vaping consumers representing themselves. Who is not represented are private citizens complaining that vaping was harming their interests. Apparently the non vaping public is not feeling enough concern to attend a meeting like this. This lack of concern would seem to include parents.

Oh great. One shop owner is saying that DIY kits will cause issues. Thanks buddy. :mad::rolleyes: Another recommends no online sales of nicotine e-liquid; it should only be available in vape shops. grrrrr... I could be wrong, but I think reps from American Cancer Assoc, American Lung Association and American Heart Association all were advocates of banning all flavors. :( Vape shops are recommending to stop selling them in convenience stores. One guy just called them out on tax revenue.

I watched the whole thing. The cmte didn't give a damn about anything that was said. Voted to pass it and refer to the larger cmte. Disgusting!!!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread