New York Post and a deadly vape pen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
"In 2017, the U.S. Fire Administration reported 133 acute injuries from e-cigarettes, vaporizers and other similar devices between 2009 and 2016, with most fires and explosions occurring while the e-cigarette was in a pocket or being used. None of those injuries resulted in death, according to the report. In 2018, a Florida man died when his e-cigarette exploded.

The agency reported that e-cigarettes present a unique hazard because of the presence of a lithium-ion battery in a device used so close to the face. Additionally, the shape of e-cigarettes makes them more likely to act like “flaming rockets” if a battery fails, the USFA said.

“No other consumer product places a battery with a known explosion hazard such as this in such close proximity to the human body,” the report said. “It is this intimate contact between the body and the battery that is most responsible for the severity of the injuries that have been seen. While the failure rate of the lithium-ion batteries is very small, the consequences of a failure, as we have seen, can be severe and life-altering for the consumer.” "

As per usual, no specifics of what batteries, battery device, or atomizer was being used. One can reasonably presume it was an unregulated mech mod being used by a naive user. These are the vape setups most likely to explode or flame, by far. Mech mods are generally not recommended for new vapers as they require an understanding of Ohm's Law and using the proper spec batteries. That's the good thing about the E-Cigarette Forum, as there is a wealth of information available here to not keep vapers safe, but help keep vapers "safer". There will always be a margin of risk when using a lithium ion battery.

Last edited:

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
“No other consumer product places a battery with a known explosion hazard such as this in such close proximity to the human body”

Ummmm? I believe Samsung did just that, but I’m guessing they want to be consistent. Had to have something blatantly false in the report.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
I saw this on Reddit this morning and it's a very sad story. I watched a video of his grandma who said that the doctor had said ''the brass bit of the battery had cut his carotid artery''. This definitely suggests a mech. However this was apparently his first device so who would have sold him a mech??....let alone one with no venting.

Very sad but we simply don't have enough info to comment.

@Rossum is absolutely right to bring up the number of deaths caused by people falling asleep smoking and these are rarely reported or considered news worthy. Definitely a rare occurrence.

I watched a video last week which experimented with several batteries to see what would happen in a 'dead short' incident and to be honest the results were not impressive. I understand that gas build up in a tube without vent holes can result in a nasty pipe bomb scenario but there would have to be a lot of pressure.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I watched a video last week which experimented with several batteries to see what would happen in a 'dead short' incident and to be honest the results were not impressive. I understand that gas build up in a tube without vent holes can result in a nasty pipe bomb scenario but there would have to be a lot of pressure.
C3E3EE14-84B0-4663-89FA-91DB8D953AE1_zpshizhveti.jpg

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
From the cited link:
"One of the pieces removed from D’Elia’s head featured the logo of Smok-E Mountain Mech Works, a company based in the Philippines,"

and
"Brown said an investigator in the case told her the device’s battery caused the deadly explosion. She told the newspaper she searched her vehicle and found a piece of the battery with its serial number."

And I'm inspecting all my batteries looking for that serial number!

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I understand that gas build up in a tube without vent holes can result in a nasty pipe bomb scenario but there would have to be a lot of pressure.
I use mech all day every day, but none of them are tube mods (they're all squonkers), and they're all designed in a way that can't possibly build any pressure.

I bought one tube mod early on and just didn't feel comfortable holding a pipe bomb to my face. I've seen very few that I believe are vented properly. Vents at the bottom? Pretty much pointless if the battery swells at all, and chances are it will.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I have to be honest, and I'm not making fun of it, but this paragraph was my favorite: Funeral services for Brown, a licensed electrician, are scheduled for later this week, his grandmother said.

I mean... was it lifted directly from the Texas Town Alderman or what, or was the idea of a "licensed electrician put in there to make it more scary? I can't tell.

Vape pens....so deadly even a LICENSED electrician can't handle one????

We may never know but I bet I never see such a paragraph in that newspaper again. it was class.

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Vape pens....so deadly even a LICENSED electrician can't handle one????
I have read many posts on this forum by people who claim they are licensed electricians with years of experience, and common sense revealed that they knew next to nothing about batteries or Ohm's Law as they pertain to vaping.

Last edited:

IgnorantCig

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2015
new york
Last year there was a story about a Florida tv producer killed by an exploding vape pen.

What do these two deaths have in common?

(edit: I was mistaken and read the article wrong, I don't think we know which vape pen the second person was using yet.)

The vape pen, also known as an e-cigarette, that D’Elia used was created by a Philippines-based company named Smok-E Mountain Mech Works, the Times reported.

Florida TV Producer Dies After Being Hit By Shrapnel and Severely Burnt When His Vape Pen Exploded

I know nothing about unregulated mechs, and I intend to keep it that way, because I have zero plans to ever use one.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Last year there was a story about a Florida tv producer killed by an exploding vape pen.

What do these two deaths have in common?

(edit: I was mistaken and read the article wrong, I don't think we know which vape pen the second person was using yet.)

The vape pen, also known as an e-cigarette, that D’Elia used was created by a Philippines-based company named Smok-E Mountain Mech Works, the Times reported.

Florida TV Producer Dies After Being Hit By Shrapnel and Severely Burnt When His Vape Pen Exploded
The first story was discussed at great length here on ECF: First vape related death

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
I use mech all day every day, but none of them are tube mods (they're all squonkers), and they're all designed in a way that can't possibly build any pressure.

I bought one tube mod early on and just didn't feel comfortable holding a pipe bomb to my face. I've seen very few that I believe are vented properly. Vents at the bottom? Pretty much pointless if the battery swells at all, and chances are it will.
I agree...and I use a mech squonker also but I have a number of tube mech's as well and they're all ventilated.
The main thing that has to be got across is that they are to be treated with lots of respect but I'm not sure I agree that a swollen battery will prevent pressured gas from venting around it.

A lot of people seem to put the battery in with the positive facing where ever the vent holes are located. And I do know the implications of the wrong orientation but I think that's the safest thing to do in those circumstances.

We could do with some more experiments done on this in differing scenarios :)

Vapemesilly

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2017
Nevada
Can't fix stupid? I read the story. Sounded like the guy was new to vaping. Quite possibly he had no idea what he was using and whoever sold it to him didn't explain. Ignorance maybe? Sure. Stupid? Not enough information. Was it a faulty battery? Is that the users stupidity?

Sometimes bad things happen. Sometimes those things happen because of stupidity. Sometimes it's just bad luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread