Status
Not open for further replies.

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
That is ick looking, all my nic is still rather clear, it's either refrigerated or frozen. That stuff looks like tar, if I was vaping it I might pretend to myself that I was getting some MAOIs :lol::lol:, you know, just to give myself a little incentive. :)

Anna
I'm quite disappointed. I expected more "longevity".
Does anyone have an opinion on whether i should keep this?

Reactions: stols001

GaryInTexas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2013
NE Texas, USA
I'm quite disappointed. I expected more "longevity".

If it was good nic when new I would try a small batch in your recipe and taste it. Might still be useable.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
If it doesn't taste off... how old is it? I'd probably vape it in RTAs in case the darker color affected or gunked up my wick.... It doesn't look any darker than certain storebought juices I have purchased and you'll be diluting it down right? With DIY stuff comes the "Oh my, is this too old problem," which is why I tend to buy my flavors in very small batches for the most part. I'm just not gonna go through that much the way I flavor.

It's a pickle, but I might vape it as long as it didn't taste awful.... JMO, as always... Although, it doesn't look like a huge bottle, if you have some frozen away, to be on the safe side you could toss it, if it's not going to be a huge deal. Etc.

Anna

Reactions: ChelsB

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
If it doesn't taste off... how old is it? I'd probably vape it in RTAs in case the darker color affected or gunked up my wick.... It doesn't look any darker than certain storebought juices I have purchased and you'll be diluting it down right? With DIY stuff comes the "Oh my, is this too old problem," which is why I tend to buy my flavors in very small batches for the most part. I'm just not gonna go through that much the way I flavor.

It's a pickle, but I might vape it as long as it didn't taste awful.... JMO, as always... Although, it doesn't look like a huge bottle, if you have some frozen away, to be on the safe side you could toss it, if it's not going to be a huge deal. Etc.

Anna

It actually tastes fine. I just don’t like the look of it (and want to be sure it’s not unsafe to vape). But I also don’t want it to go to waste. It’s about 8 months old.
I do have 3 liters safely frozen

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
It actually tastes fine. I just don’t like the look of it (and want to be sure it’s not unsafe to vape). But I also don’t want it to go to waste. It’s about 8 months old.

It's just oxidation over time. It's a little dark for 8 months in age. My posted pic of my nic after rebottling in glass after 14 months was a deep shade of amber, but still clear enough to see through.

Oxidation doesn't hurt nic. It's a natural process of aging. If it tastes good, then vape it.

I mixed up three 100ml bottles of 3mg/ml unflavored two days ago from my 14 month old oxidized nic. It's clear as water in the 100ml mix, but was a dark honey color in the pipette as I measured it out.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Nic that’s 8 months old. Never refrigerated or frozen, but always kept out of light. It’s painfully obvious how important it is to keep it cool!
4dfec23c18f0530329a48398e98bb2ca.jpg

I'll bet that your nic in a glass bottle backlit by a window during the day would look like mine. If you look closely you can see a distorted pattern from the towel holder and the sink edge through the liquid in the bottle (showing some clarity in the dark liquid). Those LDPE bottles don't show true color and they show no transparency at all.

Attachments

• NicPic.jpg
    NicPic.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Oxidation doesn't hurt nic. It's a natural process of aging. If it tastes good, then vape it.

Agreed. Per DVap (a chemist and WTA inventor):

"Really, we're talking about oxidation, and one thing oxidation isn't going to do is destroy the pyridine ring or the pyrollidine ring in the nicotine molecule. (snip)

I could turn it around and ask you about vaping fresh clean nicotine liquid at 24 mg. Does it bother anyone that the actual nicotine concentration once vaporized in the atty might drop down considerably below 24 mg due to oxidation in the atty. Nope.. and it doesn't bother me. I suspect that the oxidation products will be similarly as active as nicotine, more or less."

Can't find his most recent posts because the search engine is still wonky, but DVap has always claimed that most rapid oxidation occurs during the evaporation process in the atty, anyway. ;)

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

In the future, store your nic in dark (amber or cobalt) glass bottles, preferably frozen. ;)

Heat, ultraviolet light and oxygen are your (well, your nic's) enemies.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I've mentioned previously that I got a box of cigars many moons ago and didn't get around to smoking the last few until 10 years later. My recollection is they were fine. You can find pipe smoker forums where people describe tobacco staying good to smoke for many years if stored in sealed tins, and no talk of freezing. If nic can persist for years in tobacco why not suspended in PG in a freezer or may be even not in a freezer?

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
In the future, store your nic in dark (amber or cobalt) glass bottles, preferably frozen. ;)

Heat, ultraviolet light and oxygen are your (well, your nic's) enemies.

I agree. OTOH, if it's kept in a box with the flaps closed it's probably safe from light oxidation in a freezer. I chose to buy clear glass bottles just because I wanted to be able to monitor color change in my frozen stash. What I keep out for mixing is kept in a closed cabinet in a clear Boston Round bottle where it's protected from light except when I'm doing a DIY mix session. If I were worried about oxidation I could wrap it or box it between sessions.

I'm with you in that brown or blue bottles are the ultimate protection against light oxidation.

Last edited:

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
If it tastes fine when you vape it, and there is no smell, (other than like a cigarette)then I would use it up. Like Dave said, once its mixed up you probably won't see any darkening. Believe me, if it was bad, you would not need to ask anyone. The smell of bad nic is hard to get away from. It lingers on everything it has touched. So be prepared to get rid lids, etc. Hard to describe, but very potent awful smell. Reminds me of a cow pasture or being in a barn with wet hay and the stalls need cleaned.

oh and you can use the bad nic as an outdoor pest control. Once it dries, it becomes harmless to pets and people.

:)

Last edited:

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Nic that’s 8 months old. Never refrigerated or frozen, but always kept out of light. It’s painfully obvious how important it is to keep it cool!
    For the first few yrs vaping, I filled 7-30ml bottles and kept them in my desk drawer in my office. At 30ml per week then that was several months @ room temp, albeit dark, and they were all clear.

Good nic from a lab ( wizards), not something like that $50 MFS stuff. Altho many like it.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Not hearing a lot of good things about them lately...
    I may have made an unkind assumption :). Just always seemed like they bought bulk and sold cheap to drive people there. They are a vaping goods supplier, not a lab. I quickly ceased buying diy supplies from those types.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 13, 2013
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
    Here's a shot of what's left from one of the first bottles of nic I bought more than four years ago:

20171117_200456.jpg

Here's a shot of the label, showing the born on date:

20171117_200503.jpg

This bottle has never been frozen, and neither have it's two unopened sister bottles. I bought four in that 2013 order and I've used one completely. The two sisters and another three bottles from then RTS are at the other house, but when I checked on them in September they looked about like this.

I used about 10ml of the bottle shown above for a batch of Peach Cobbler last weekend. It's fantastic.

I bought a seventh bottle from Wizard Labs last summer and it's here in the same ol' dark, room temp box as the MBV stuff.

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 7, 2016
    8 Mile + 2.5

yikes. I keep a 120ml working bottle out in a clear plastic bottle but the bottle gets wrapped in a black plastic bag and put in a cabinet, in my cool cement block basement. The last one I killed from Nude, that was easily 9 months old or older, barely had any color change. The current 120ml in rotation is from MFS so I will be curious to see how it looks when there is only 20 or 30ml left in it.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    This bottle has never been frozen, and neither have it's two unopened sister bottles. I bought four in that 2013 order and I've used one completely. The two sisters and another three bottles from then RTS are at the other house, but when I checked on them in September they looked about like this.

I used about 10ml of the bottle shown above for a batch of Peach Cobbler last weekend. It's fantastic.

I bought a seventh bottle from Wizard Labs last summer and it's here in the same ol' dark, room temp box as the MBV stuff.

My nic came from MFS in summer 2016 and right before I bottled it recently it looked like yours in the LDPE bottle it came in. After pouring into clear glass bottles it was a much deeper orange. That was surprising to me. I guess the LDPE tones down the shade a bit when you are looking through the plastic.

I sense no difference in the vape from oxidation. It's very smooth at 3mg mix strength. I suppose if I were to mix up a batch of 24mg I'd sense much more throat hit. It's probably a good thing that I don't vape 24mg anymore. :)

I probably should buy a small bottle of fresh nic for comparison in the vape quality. That might be interesting as an experiment. Can't hurt to have a little more for Deeming protection.

440BB

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 19, 2011
    The Motor City
    If I was intending to speed up oxidation of my nic concentrate, I would:

- use LDPE bottles, as they are the most porous
    - open and use some periodically, introducing more and more oxygen
    - keep it at room temperature, allowing plenty of molecular activity

That's what I did with my first 120ml bottle of nic I bought from Good Prophets in 2012. It was brown/amber within about nine months.

I've used full bottles, non-ldpe plastic and glass, stored in the freezer ever since. Virtually no tint, smell or taste after three+ years.

Based on what I've seen in Rossum's experiment as well as Kurt's thoughts, temperature is the primary issue, the colder the better. Headroom and container porosity are next, then light.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread