Not open for further replies.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Nic that’s 8 months old. Never refrigerated or frozen, but always kept out of light. It’s painfully obvious how important it is to keep it cool!
4dfec23c18f0530329a48398e98bb2ca.jpg
What strength is that? I'm confident that the stronger the nic is, the darker it will appear for a given level of oxidation. If that's 100mg, it shouldn't be compared to, say Coastal's 36mg:

Here's a shot of what's left from one of the first bottles of nic I bought more than four years ago:

20171117_200456.jpg

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
If I was intending to speed up oxidation of my nic concentrate, I would:

- use LDPE bottles, as they are the most porous
- open and use some periodically, introducing more and more oxygen
- keep it at room temperature, allowing plenty of molecular activity
Agreed. I've never had nic base in LDPE bottles but the first B&M that I bought juice from used them, and that juice always seemed to darken faster than the second B&M that became my go-to for a while, who sold all their juice in glass. Now I realize flavorings play a role in this too, so I'm probably comparing apples to oranges, but I pretty much swore off LDPE for storing anything.

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
Agreed. I've never had nic base in LDPE bottles but the first B&M that I bought juice from used them, and that juice always seemed to darken faster than the second B&M that became my go-to for a while, who sold all their juice in glass. Now I realize flavorings play a role in this too, so I'm probably comparing apples to oranges, but I pretty much swore off LDPE for storing anything.

All of mine is stored in Amber glass. That’s what I’d just poured in to my working bottle (I use the plastic as my working bottle ). So I had no idea it had gotten that dark until I refilled my working bottle

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
All of mine is stored in Amber glass. That’s what I’d just poured in to my working bottle (I use the plastic as my working bottle ). So I had no idea it had gotten that dark until I refilled my working bottle
Oh, sorry; it seems I mis-understood.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
What strength is that? I'm confident that the stronger the nic is, the darker it will appear for a given level of oxidation. If that's 100mg, it shouldn't be compared to, say Coastal's 36mg:
Makes sense. More nic in solution would mean more to oxidize.

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California

I bought 100 mg to get more bang for my buck and because I was worried about future procurement of nic. I’m regretting buying such high strength! I figured if I kept it in a wooden box, it would be ok for at least a year.
Oh, and it’s nic from MFS

Coastal Cowboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I bought 100 mg to get more bang for my buck and because I was worried about future procurement of nic. I’m regretting buying such high strength! I figured if I kept it in a wooden box, it would be ok for at least a year.
Oh, and it’s nic from MFS
Mehh... I wouldn't worry about it. The only thing that's changed significantly is the color of my juice. Neither flavor nor nic effect are noticeably different. If you were to cut 100mg/ml with enough PG or VG to make it 36mg/ml, it would probably look, taste and kick just like mine does.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I'm thinking of it in terms of percentage. In other words if 1% of 100 mg oxidizes, you've got 0.1% oxidized nic in that solution, while if 1% of 36mg oxidizes, you've got 0.036% of oxidized nic in that solution, and the former will appear darker than the latter.

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
I'm thinking of it in terms of percentage. In other words if 1% of 100 mg oxidizes, you've got 0.1% oxidized nic in that solution, while if 1% of 36mg oxidizes, you've got 0.036% of oxidized nic in that solution, and the former will appear darker than the latter.

Does it ever get to the point of being so oxidized that it becomes unsafe?

Reactions: stols001

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Mehh... I wouldn't worry about it. The only thing that's changed significantly is the color of my juice. Neither flavor nor nic effect are noticeably different. If you were to cut 100mg/ml with enough PG or VG to make it 36mg/ml, it would probably look, taste and kick just like mine does.
I think the acceptability is going to vary from person to person, and also with how much (and what kind of) flavorings they use.

As someone who vapes a whole lot of unflavored and uses mostly unsweetened fruit flavorings in very low amounts when I do vape flavored, I can tell you I'm not a fan of oxidized nic.

OTOH, some folks who favor tobacco flavors actually prefer their nic a bit oxidized.

Coastal Cowboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Me, too. I think we're saying the same thing. Higher concentration = more nic molecules per milliliter = more opportunities for Oxygen to work its magic.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Does it ever get to the point of being so oxidized that it becomes unsafe?
"Unsafe". How do we define this?

My sense is: No, it would taste horrible long before it became problematic, but I'm not a chemist.

Coastal Cowboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I think the acceptability is going to vary from person to person, and also with how much (and what kind of) flavorings they use.

As someone who vapes a whole lot of unflavored and uses mostly unsweetened fruit flavorings in very low amounts when I do vape flavored, I can tell you I'm not a fan of oxidized nic.

OTOH, some folks who favor tobacco flavors actually prefer their nic a bit oxidized.
Yeah, as long as I like my result and you like yours and everybody else likes theirs, we're all happy vapers.

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
"Unsafe". How do we define this?

My sense is: No, it would taste horrible long before it became problematic, but I'm not a chemist.

Yeah, as long as I like my result and you like yours and everybody else likes theirs, we're all happy vapers.

Ok, great, that’s what I needed reassurance on. If it’s simply a matter of aesthetics, then I’ll let it go. I just won’t use that nic for juice I put in my new painted tank glass (you can’t see the design with such dark liquid).
I never vape unflavored, in fact I prefer recipes with VERY high flavoring percentages (20-24%), so I’m probably safe with that masking any “bad” flavor from the nic.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Right, in the here and now, where if nic gets too far oxidized, we can just buy more, and a year's supply of nic costs less than what many of us would spend on a carton of smokes in the past.

But what happens if/when the FDA decides that the era of free-flowing nic is over? At that point, we become dependent on whatever we've got in our stockpiles, and the question this thread attempts to answer is: Does it really make a difference how you store it?

So far the answer seems to be rather unequivocal: Colder is better. The question of plastic vs. glass seems to be less obvious, at least when the plastic is PET.

I think this information is may be useful even for those who do like their nic somewhat oxidized, because I suspect there's a point where you might decide: "Ick, this is too far gone". So better to do what you can to keep it fresh until you're somewhat close to using it. At that time you can always oxidize it to the point that you like it best, but I don't think there's any practical way to revive it once it's gone too far.

Coastal Cowboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Ok, great, that’s what I needed reassurance on. If it’s simply a matter of aesthetics, then I’ll let it go. I just won’t use that nic for juice I put in my new painted tank glass (you can’t see the design with such dark liquid).
I never vape unflavored, in fact I prefer recipes with VERY high flavoring percentages (20-24%), so I’m probably safe with that masking any “bad” flavor from the nic.
You and I are probably a lot alike. I happen to really like coil-gunking juices because they taste so good. I got back into rebuildable atomizers because I got tired of eventually having to replace coil heads. Now with a quick burn off and rewick, I can go back to those decadently flavored treats that helped me quit smoking. At either 3- or 6mg juice, the color and flavor of the nic solution aren't a big deal.

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
You and I are probably a lot alike. I happen to really like coil-gunking juices because they taste so good. I got back into rebuildable atomizers because I got tired of eventually having to replace coil heads. Now with a quick burn off and rewick, I can go back to those decadently flavored treats that helped me quit smoking. At either 3- or 6mg juice, the color and flavor of the nic solution aren't a big deal.

Agreed. My ADV gunks up after only 4ml of juice!!!!! So rebuilding is essential for my pocket book!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread