Status
Not open for further replies.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I wonder if anyone has actually had a bad experience with NOT washing before using? Or if it's more of a personal preference and doesn't really matter...
I don't know, do know I'm lazy when comes to washing new bottles. Don't wash my new juice chubbies or bottles either. Mixed up 12 juices today and didn’t rinse out a single bottle. :shock:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Got the new nic in hand! Nice and clear!
I know I've asked this before but does everyone wash their storage bottles before use? I always do, but it seems unnecessary since it's brand new....?

I do.

Just like if I bought a Coffee Mug in a gift store, I would Wash It before I used it.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
earwig2-o.jpg

LOL

corn flakes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2014
Brant County Canada
Got the new nic in hand! Nice and clear!
I know I've asked this before but does everyone wash their storage bottles before use? I always do, but it seems unnecessary since it's brand new....?

I boil mine. No telling what is in there.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I use hot tap water to wash new and used glass bottles out before DIY. I rinse LDPE flavor bottles with cold or warm water before filling. LDPE gets pretty soft with hot water until they cool and dry.

My LDPE bottles get filled with whatever is steeping in glass when it's time to make more juice. I just move the labels from the glass bottles to plastic bottles. The glass bottles get the newly mixed juice.

I like to be able to monitor clarity and color change as steeping progresses in the glass bottles, but droppers can't beat thin tip LDPE for filling a tank through a small screw hole, so once juice is ready to vape it goes into LDPE thin tip bottles.

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
A few posts back I reported opening a 1 liter amber glass bottle of Myfreedonsmokes 100 mg after 2 years in the freezer but a picture is worth a thousand words... If there is even the slightest change I'm not seeing it.
Is that frost I see on that bottle?

If so... I believe it is a mistake to open bottles of nic base before the have assumed room temperature because this allows condensation to form inside the bottle too, and mix with the nic base.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Is that frost I see on that bottle?

If so... I believe it is a mistake to open bottles of nic base before the have assumed room temperature because this allows condensation to form inside the bottle too, and mix with the nic base.
Yes it's frost. The bottle was emptied into 4 smaller bottles as was the previous one. I've never bothered to defrost the mixing bottle for monthly mixing. After 2 years of mixing from cold bottles the nic showed no sign of color change.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Preserving nic is about stockpiling which begs the question of how much to store and that partly depends on how many ml's will be consumed. I get some idea of that by paying attention to how long my 200 ml DIY batches last, which has been a month more or less in recent times. I'd also like to see what happens day to day, like the differences between work days and off days. So it occured to me I could use a graduated cylinder to make a measuring stick for the 20 ml dripper bottles I carry. The first step was to drip accurate measured amounts from a full bottle then mark the level, I used water and picked 3 ml intervals because I'd like to be vaping no more than 6 ml per day. (The last bit of liquid at the end measured exactly 2 ml showing that the bottle does hold 20 ml.) Marks on the bottle won't last very long so they will be transfered to a measuring stick.

Most likely a syringe could be used in place of a graduated cylinder.
20180101_165651.jpg

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
Preserving nic is about stockpiling which begs the question of how much to store and that partly depends on how many ml's will be consumed. I get some idea of that by paying attention to how long my 200 ml DIY batches last, which has been a month more or less in recent times. I'd also like to see what happens day to day, like the differences between work days and off days. So it occured to me I could use a graduated cylinder to make a measuring stick for the 20 ml dripper bottles I carry. The first step was to drip accurate measured amounts from a full bottle then mark the level, I used water and picked 3 ml intervals because I'd like to be vaping no more than 6 ml per day. (The last bit of liquid at the end measured exactly 2 ml showing that the bottle does hold 20 ml.) Marks on the bottle won't last very long so they will be transfered to a measuring stick.

Most likely a syringe could be used in place of a graduated cylinder.
View attachment 709933
I made up this little SS a while back. Just plug in 4 values and it will tell you your stockpile requirements.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByJGOatX48BARzlrQm5lTUh0VHM
Note: you need to DOWNLOAD it and run it locally on your computer.

An online version is available HERE.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
So it's been (2 days shy of) one year since I started this thread with the first two samples, and I suppose that means it's time for an update.

As usual, I put all the samples in the fridge overnight so they would all be at the same temperature when photographed:

Hb79kJt.jpg

I don't think they look much different than the last time I posted an update on these samples in October (bottom of page 12 of this thread).

Here's what they look like against a while background in daylight:

x1OVMYx.jpg

This seems to make subtle differences more apparent. The PG nic that's been kept in the freezer is still water-clear, while the VG based nic is just a darker, however the VG nic was already slightly darker when received (see post #78 in this thread). Interestingly enough, the room temperature samples look the opposite; the VG nic has darkened the least. @Kurt has long had the theory that VG's higher viscosity should slow oxidation, and I'm starting to believe it. Here are the samples I started with (post #1 of this thread). The first pic is with the sun behind some clouds:

OWcAhPH.jpg

Followed almost immediately by the sun peeking out and providing much more light:

B2xmx0o.jpg

The sample kept in the freezer has, IMO, the same slight straw color it started with, while the sample kept at room temperature has obviously oxidized a good bit.

My general perception is that all the freezer samples are essentially unchanged from when I received them, while the room temperature samples have all darkened a lot, but the rate of darkening was highest early on and has now slowed. Perhaps all the available oxygen has been used up?

I'm also going to reiterate my previous conclusion: Storage temperature appears to be far more important than whether the nic is in glass or PET plastic.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Was there a taste test involved? Wondering how the real dark stuff tastes and vapes.
No, in order to do that, I would have to open the bottles, which would ruin (or at least effectively end) the experiment.

I'm sure that will happen at some point, but I'm not sure when.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread