Testing for nicotine & employment

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErikaN

May 26, 2016
Hello!!

I had been weaning off smokes and was using 3mg/Nic a few days then learned new employment does nicotine/by products testing! Grrrrr!!

Got home test after 3 days cold turkey they say any shade second line is a negative, under the cutoff level.

I want to go back to 3mg today but question or opinion is.....would you test with this result today or suck it up 4 more days??

Thanks!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    382.4 KB · Views: 111

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
It's zero! Even patch wearers are included. Its the first place I ran into this. The joke is Im not even taking their benefits, Im taking companies and they dont care.....and Im also a temp employee, only there 12 weeks.....

Wow, they got their nannyism really ramped up at this place.

At the same time, in this economy I understand some times you gotta do what you gotta do. Good luck.

7sixtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
the hinterlands
Why would an employer test for nicotine? I've never even heard of that.
Because the good little sheeple have been conditioned to accept urinalysis as a reasonable requirement for employment.. even for very low level jobs. It's an undeniably fascist practice that's become the "norm". Just one more little step toward the authoritarian state our once great republic has now become.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Why would an employer test for nicotine? I've never even heard of that.
They get a lower rate with their insurance provider that way. Less risks, the lower the rate.
The reason he's being tested as a temp is in case they decide to hire him on full time after his temp tenure has run out. Happens more often than a lot of people think.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
insurance companies treat any nicotine in your system as that you are still a smoker, even NRT. Even they know success rates of NRT is abysmal.

Not all of them. A couple years back there are posts from some members who challenged the "pee in a cup" penalty for vaping - which is why I asked. They presented a full-on attack of the policies, producing receipts for vaping gear that showed how long they had been using it, letters of support/approval from their MD's etc. Since they were going to get pee-nalized with higher insurance premiums for being labeled a smoker there was no reason to not challenge the policy. A least a couple of them got the penalty reversed since they had the receipts - literally - to show how long they had been an ex-smoker thanks to vaping.

Short version: There are actually some more enlightened insurance plans out there.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
Not all of them. A couple years back there are posts from some members who challenged the "pee in a cup" penalty for vaping - which is why I asked. They presented a full-on attack of the policies, producing receipts for vaping gear that showed how long they had been using it, letters of support/approval from their MD's etc. Since they were going to get pee-nalized with higher insurance premiums for being labeled a smoker there was no reason to not challenge the policy. A least a couple of them got the penalty reversed since they had the receipts - literally - to show how long they had been an ex-smoker thanks to vaping.

Short version: There are actually some more enlightened insurance plans out there.
I've seen the work/nic testing posts but don't remember those. Can't find the, (search sucks for finding the specifics here) which is a bummer. However, I'll bet they can't get away with that anymore with insurance companies since the deeming and that's a :censored: outrage.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
Okay, thanks. Brought up a lot of stuff. I've left it up and will look at it tomorrow, it's late. This whole thing is a :censored: outrage but charging people more for getting off of cigarettes (patches, gum, inhalers, vaping, etc.) is an outrage. Even before the deeming it was unfathomable. Why aren't more people beyond the breaking point? I just don't get it.

People in the medical field are some of the hardest hit by the zero tolerance to nic. Do you want them operating on you? I know, it's a rhetorical question to you specifically, was meant for others.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Is this test being used for health insurance placement or for actually deciding to hire one as a new employee?

Distinction without a difference. You bet the company you work for, expecting you to cover more and more of the cost of health insurance premiums, is getting sweetheart deals with the insurer of (their) choice in this process.

One way or the other: The company won't hire a smoker because they expect you to use the health insurance more - and that will cost them more. Or they will hire you - but you will get hit up with a significantly higher insurance premiums than the non smokers if you test positive.

The only cases where I have seen this specifically tied to a basis for the position you are applying for is in the health care field, as it does look kind of bad to see a bunch of nurses taking a smoke break outside of a cardiac care facility. (And yes - I have actually witnessed that one.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread