No Gold! But there’s a Fist-Full-O-Diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Littlefeather

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2012
Northern California
RELIC DIAMONDS, that is! LOL! I’ve heard a lot of talk about DNA20 becoming a relic with the introduction of the DNA30. LOL! This thing is an amazing vape I must say! And, I thought my ego’s would be just fine!
Well, everybody starts somewhere and Relic Diamonds is my start point in this adventure we call modding! I’m by no means an expert and probably should have started with something a bit less ambitious. Too late now! That said, I do try to pay attention and listen to the folks that have done it before me and have the empirical evidence to show for it. For that I wanted to thank a few folks on this and other forums, Mamu, CraigHB, Bapgood, Breaktru, Asdaq, Raidy & Pdib just to name a few, and many others for sharing their knowledge and providing inspiration. I will try to reciprocate where I can.
We don’t all start with the same skill sets and I’m no exception. I’ve found it’s taken me some time to wrap my head around the electronics in such a small package. As Mamu has said it’s all about the packing! And, I’m guessing she’s an expert at Tetris too!
In the past I’ve had experience making small scale projects, but this one’s been a bit of a challenge and taken more time than intended but with great lessons learned along the way along and spawned new ideas. From the start I wanted (as I’m sure many do) to make something different and a bit unique. I do enjoy working with dissimilar materials and using different techniques to see how they’ll work together. For me, aesthetics are an important part in any design project or redesign as the case may be.
This project had originally started as a duel 18650 set-up last August, but after making the original box multiple times and size dimensions I wasn’t liking the feel in hand, and decided to go for a stealthier size with a single 18650 for my first go round. What was I thinking? A lot of design changes along the way and I asked myself on several occasions if I’d nibbled off a bit much? Maybe, but I couldn’t quit. A lot of things I’ll change on my next one but for now I needed to finish one to show myself I could! And, this is an extraordinary vape! Did I say this is an amazing vape? LOL!! Now if I can find/make a topper to go along with! LOL! NOT! Aaah, never say never!
http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/L...DNARelicDiamondsUpload-1_zps698aff47.jpg.html
Features: 20 Watts Power, 510 connector, Single-18650 AW IMR Battery (removable) with Reverse Polarity & Battery Protection.
Materials & Parts:
Electronic: DNA20D by Evolv—Brilliant!
Box: Canvas Micarta (Phenolic) 3/32” (.093”) sheet stock. (Google it) Interesting material! Originally used as electric/electronic component stand-off material but I was introduced to it for knife handle scales and fell in love with the rustic look attainable. WARNING! If you’re thinking about using this material the dust is nasty and will get on and in EVERYTHING! Be sure to READ, UNDERSTAND and FOLLOW the Manufactures instructions. Use a Rated respirator and dust collector! A lot of work area cleanup time with this stuff! Use Common Sense and BE SAFE!
510 Connector: MadVapes (need to find better!)
Switches: KSJ0M21180SHLFT (Arrow or DigiKey)
Fuses: 16R300GU (2) (Littlefuse)
Battery: Single AW IMR 18650 (nipple top)
Adhesives: CA (Super Glue) & Flex Epoxy (VersaChem 5 min)
Wire: 20ga & 22ga Stranded Copper
Battery Contacts: .015 inch brass (Scratch Built)
Misc. Aesthetic Components: Gold Screen, Brass Sheet Stock (K&S Engineering), Copper rivets.

Last edited:

Littlefeather

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2012
Northern California
Thanks Bap

U bet, give it a try!
The store bought stuff is messy to machine, sand & file but I like the look. DYI, as I haven't tried that myself, I have a couple of friends that make their own for knife handle scales and you can get some great patterns, doesn't seem to be as messy but that may just be perception. You also might want to check a product called G-10 knife makes use it for handle material also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread