NOT Happy with the Leo!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zadane

ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
Seattle Washington, United States
Well, this might have made me lean towards not getting the leo... after hearing how often the problems arise and how they only take their own atty... this is sort of... well, it makes me not want to buy one.

now, if someone wanted to send me a dead one, so I could do some tinkering lol I wouldn't say no XD

and i'm sorry to hear your supplier won't replace it.

rsmith76

ECF Veteran
Nov 14, 2008
Bradford, Ohio
I have finally given up on my leo and went back to my reliable, and faithful DSE 808 stick. The leo is just to much fuss for me. I truly hope boge will come out with a much improved atty for these. I've tried vg, pg, fluval, everything I can possibly think of to make it work. Just tired of the constant dripping to get a good hit, tired of the burnt taste, and tired of the constant leaking. I have decided to let them collect dust and wait for future improvements. Maybe the cartomizers will help, but will most likely be cost prohibitive. rsmith76

Jackal3

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2010
Cleveland OH USA
www.whitestagvapor.com
Just like 510 cartridges, the poly fill needs a little fussing after a few refills. The heat from that giant Leo atomizer may shrink the poly fill. Simply use a pair of tweezers to 'fluff' it toward the top edge of the cartridge again. Then refill. After a couple days of this the poly fill becomes frayed and loose. I simply set it aside and start another cartridge.

As for the atomizer, every time I recharge my Leo battery overnight I take off the atomizer and set it upside down on a napkin. This lets any excess juice inside drain out overnight. When I start that atomizer on the freshly charged battery in the morning it's like a new atomizer.

Cleaning is simple, but again can be time consuming waiting for it to dry. So when/if you clean your atomizer do it before bed. I'd use just really hot running water to clean it, and save the 90% rubbing alcohol soak for those really thorough cleanings.

Thicker juices may build up on the atomizer and begin to clog the holes. Clogged holes cause a harder draw. Harder draw causes the atomizer to heat up quicker and hotter. This, I believe, is what is causing the select few atomizers to go bad. Rest assured, Boge knows (they read this forum but cannot post here), and are working hard to correct it. In fact, they have a few tricks up their sleeves to solve this issue that are being tested now. I should have some samples in February to play with and test myself.

Please, if you're having an issue with your Leo, see my Dead Battery and Atomizer Return Program .

TonsO>apoR

Feb 1, 2011
Texas
Maybe if you buy them from Boge's site, but my vendor certainly wasn't honoring that. I even brought this up to him.

I have some good news for those of you that have a vendor that will not honor the warranty.
Check out Vapor Junction, their Leo Attys have 3 month warranties (posted on their site).They do not have any info on their site of what the warranty is on the Leo batteries but, I did email them and they have said that their warranty on Leo Batts are also 3 months. They are also pretty low$.
I wished I would have purchaed my Leo from them. I will in the future be buying from them. I bought a few items from their and will be buying more.

TonsO>apoR

Feb 1, 2011
Texas
SIGH.....have a post up asking where to buy a Leo batt. JUST bought one elsewhere with a 14 day warrenty. UGH. Same price, and it's the sealed batts, and it's red (at Vapor Junction they are only black---but it's a pass-thru!). Ah well.

Well hopefully you will have better luck with that one. But now you know for next time. I definantly will be buying from them. I will also send them an email and find out if they will be getting any other colors of the PT version anytime soon.

And...
No I am not affiliated with them in any way, just impressed that they are the only ones i have found that have the 3m warranty.

Yeah, I'll keep 'em in mind. woulda loved a PT one!! Oh...I never thought you were affiliated with 'em. :) Love this board for all the great info shared.

Bought mine at vapelite.com and hoping all goes well. Wouldn't even let me put in the 15% code--so hoping my request of faster shipping will be honored. Sucks having one Leo batt!

Renro

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
New England
I just bought two kits from Vapor Junction, one silver, one wood. I ordered two complete sets for all the parts (atomizer, 5 carts, charger) it was actually cheaper than buying spare parts. The site said that they were both passthrough versions. The wood one says "Leo PT" at the port but the silver one is blank. The wood one is engraved with the Leo logo (very nice btw) the silver one is blank. They were both fully charged when I got them (today) so how do I know that the silver one is a passthrough?

Renro

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
New England
Or you could plug it into the USB and try it. If it works while plugged in, then you have 2 PT....

Thanks, that was the quickest and surest way to tell. I talked to my rep at Vapor Junction (i LOVE this guy) and for some reason, the silver one even though the battery is sealed, is not p/t. He sent out another one (my choice of color) at no charge. They do have a stock of Leo's atty's and p/t batteries if anyone is looking, and I can recommend the company's customer service and warranty (3 months)

TonsO>apoR

Feb 1, 2011
Texas
Well I am not completely impressed with the Leo as of right now. I have had it now for little over a week and I have tried vaping different juices in it. None of which have given a very good TH. I used the same exact juice in my M401 and my dse 901 with a LR atty, and the TH is good to strong. Now with all the praise that I have read about the Leo being good TH, having good flavor production and Lots of vapor. Only 1 has been consistant, the vapor production. I Am also getting frustrated with the carts they seem to not get the juice down to the Atty. I have tried several methods to get the juice to flow. Tried the BFM, the plug mod, and even purchased some poly fill and cut it just a little longer than the cart. None of these are working very good to get the juice to flow. I also have had issues were I filled a cart 3/4 full and placed in the poly fill, then topped it off and took a few puffs and have had a gurglling sound. Removed the cart and it was like half of the juice i put in the cart has flowed into the atty. I have used PG, VG and PG/VG mix. At times the atty gives off a burnt taste with different juices, then other times good flavor and lots of vapor but no TH. Then a few puffs later the flavor is gone and only the vapor is strong. I have used 11mg, 18mg and 24mg. Usually I vape with 18mg, and the TH is satisfying on my DSE 901 and Ok in my M401. The Leo is just not giving me the TH I expected. I do however like the battery life I do not have to carry around 5 batteries to keep me going through the day if I am out and about.

IMHO I would have to rate the Leo at 2 out of 5. I am trying very hard to like this thing, but it is almost a hassle. I am going to keep at it because I really want to enjoy this thing, but just not getting that wow from it.

bladebarrier

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
CT
Well I am not completely impressed with the Leo as of right now. I have had it now for little over a week and I have tried vaping different juices in it. None of which have given a very good TH. I used the same exact juice in my M401 and my dse 901 with a LR atty, and the TH is good to strong. Now with all the praise that I have read about the Leo being good TH, having good flavor production and Lots of vapor. Only 1 has been consistant, the vapor production. I Am also getting frustrated with the carts they seem to not get the juice down to the Atty. I have tried several methods to get the juice to flow. Tried the BFM, the plug mod, and even purchased some poly fill and cut it just a little longer than the cart. None of these are working very good to get the juice to flow. I also have had issues were I filled a cart 3/4 full and placed in the poly fill, then topped it off and took a few puffs and have had a gurglling sound. Removed the cart and it was like half of the juice i put in the cart has flowed into the atty. I have used PG, VG and PG/VG mix. At times the atty gives off a burnt taste with different juices, then other times good flavor and lots of vapor but no TH. Then a few puffs later the flavor is gone and only the vapor is strong. I have used 11mg, 18mg and 24mg. Usually I vape with 18mg, and the TH is satisfying on my DSE 901 and Ok in my M401. The Leo is just not giving me the TH I expected. I do however like the battery life I do not have to carry around 5 batteries to keep me going through the day if I am out and about.

IMHO I would have to rate the Leo at 2 out of 5. I am trying very hard to like this thing, but it is almost a hassle. I am going to keep at it because I really want to enjoy this thing, but just not getting that wow from it.

What you're describing is a problem with the old style carts, designed for the big battery mods, in general.

I have screwed around with just about every 510 cart mod, and sometimes they work well, and then they become crap. Too much of a hassle. Messy, inconvenient, sloppy, too much trial and error, and when you do find a good one, the next day it's often worse than when you started.

Carts just suck.

That said, the 801 cart style works better than the 510 (which is a terrible style for carts, mega possibly aside). I would bet money, that if you had an ego style 510, you would be far more frustrated with the quality of cart vaping.

See the thread I posted here. There is light at the end of a hopefully short tunnel. An LR atty, to drip with, for maximum flavor, and a tank mod, for maximum convenience and better wicking, are both on the table. I certainly wouldn't go selling your Leo.

If anything, grab an adapter from avidvapor.com, and run 510's, or 306's, or even stack a 510 to 801 stealth on top (I can go test the fit, to double check if that works), and drip on that, before you ditch out on the whole program. 801 LR dripping will blow away your lack of flavor issue. It will blow away your 901 as well. You'll seek that forever, after, if you're like me, and flavor is priority #1.

Basically, the quality of the vape is atomizer style + method of juice getting there + personal preference = happy.

In the option of juice getting there, the progression is: Dripping > Bottom feeder > Cartomizer > Cartridge (modified by the overall wattage, to personal taste).

If you're not happy with the Leo, it's almost certainly the fact that normal cartridges just suck overall, and behind that fact, that there's no low resistance option yet.

TonsO>apoR

Feb 1, 2011
Texas
Far from giving up the Leo, just frustrated with the it. I have ordered the leo to 510 adoptor and some 510 attys. I also purchased the stealth 510 to 901 adaptor to try all options to get the best out of the Leo. I am seriously hoping one of these configurations work for me. When you mention Tank Mod, are talking about a tank mod for the LEO. would you happen to know if it will resemble the Ego-T.

bladebarrier

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
CT
Far from giving up the Leo, just frustrated with the it. I have ordered the leo to 510 adoptor and some 510 attys. I also purchased the stealth 510 to 901 adaptor to try all options to get the best out of the Leo. I am seriously hoping one of these configurations work for me. When you mention Tank Mod, are talking about a tank mod for the LEO. would you happen to know if it will resemble the Ego-T.

I don't have any specifics on it, but yes, it will be made by Boge, for the Leo, and have concept similar to the Ego-T.

There is also a cartomizer that should be released very soon. It will hold 4 or 5 ml of juice at a time. Hopefully we'll see some reviews of it, within a few weeks.

mmoss2

Jan 1, 2011
Chicago, Il

One Leo costs as much as 2 full PVs of any other make/model. For the money, the performance is sub par and disappointing. I truly can't puff on the thing for more than 5 minutes without it running dry or flooding and leaking. I'm just so disappointed I can't see straight.

I have been using an ego with a LR cylinder type atty and mega carts, and I can Vape hit after hit, back to back, until the cart is completely dry if I want. Or I can take a hit and then set it down after just filling it, and it won't leak. Is there any way to get this performance from the Leo? I think the ego looks too utilitarian, and I don't want to get rid of my Leo.

BUT I WON'T KEEP USING IT IF IT WON'T VAPE...For cryin out loud ... Is that really too much to ask?

Sorry to unload here. I was sooooooo excited about the Leo, and I watched every review I could find, and this thing just doesn't deliver. My Njoy Npro works better....

What is my bottom line question? How do I mod the cart so that enough juice flows to keep the atty wet enough that I can vape non-stop, but not so wet that it leaks or floods???

Last edited:

TonsO>apoR

Feb 1, 2011
Texas
You tel me and we will all know. I have set it aside, and I am now using my Megalodon as my primary PV. I just could not get the satisfaction that I though It should have given me from my Leo. I will keep it as a back up and use it when I have to. I have purchased the Leo to 510 atty adaptor and this seems to work fairly good with the 510 atty, also a 510 to 901 adaptor and no issue there so far. But now that my Megalodon has arrived I have been using that for over a week with 510 and 901 atty's and I have had no issues with it at all. I agree for the price the Leo is being sold it does not deliver satisfaction, and does not live up to the hype and praise.

runout_mick

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2011
Alberta, Canada
What is my bottom line question? How do I mod the cart so that enough juice flows to keep the atty wet enough that I can vape non-stop, but not so wet that it leaks or floods???

The Leo is my first e-cig, and I kind of jumped in with both feet. Like you I followed all the positive reviews. I got 2 leo royal kits for my girlfriend and myself (4 complete e-cigs). Out of the box I couldn't get 2 of them to keep up. They were either leaking uncontrollably, or so dry everything tasted burnt. I can't just flush this $, so I was bound and determined to make them work, and I think I may have it.

After trying every setup possible over the last week, here is the setup that seems to be working:

Juice is 80%pg 20%vg.
Cart has a McDonalds size straw in the bottom half, with 2 Vs notched into the bottom 1/3 of the straw. The top half of the cart is filled with blue foam trimmed very slightly larger than the cart so that it friction fits, but doesn't compress at all.

I've been chain-vaping on a single cart and atomizer (the one that I had the most trouble with) all day, and it's been keeping up. No leaks at all, not even a drop, and no sign of a burnt or dry taste until the cart is empty. When the cart tastes empty, it actually IS empty. I've been through 4 or 5 fills like this so far.

Hopefully this will help those that are pulling their hair out like I was. If the situation goes south, I will update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread