obama-care's implications for vapers???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ad356

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2010
north java, ny
i had a guy at work tell me that obama plans on creating a fine for smokers as part of obamacare. apparently a smoker of the age of 55 will pay a $4,200 fine for the "right to smoke". i can see it comming already, the government in their infinite wisdom may choose to lump all nicotine use in with cigarettes and try fining us "vapers" because we use nicotine. that would be absurdly bad. we use a significantly reduced risk nicotine product and they would fine us for it. that would be intolerable, what ever happened to the constitution of the united states. we are slowly being stripped of our rights one right at a time. nicotine and tobacco were some of the earliest products to be produced by our founding fathers. we have chosen to quit cigarettes but continue nicotine use, we should be allowed to have that right.

is there any truth to what was said, i dont know where he got his information. while he said nothing about PV's but we know that would be coming if this happens.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Your guy at work was no doubt discussing the 50% premium surcharge that our presidently generously told the insurance companies they could feel free to charge "tobacco users." Not SMOKERS, "tobacco users." And the usual way to test for that would be to look for cotinine in the blood, a marker for nicotine intake. The test will come up positive if you're wearing a nicotine patch, using smokeless tobacco (which, by the way is 99% lower in risk than smoking), or are an e-cigarette user.

And yes, the insurance companies were also given permission to charge higher rates by age, which most health insurance plans did not do in the past -- they averaged the premiums out so that everybody on that group plan shared the risks and paid the same rates.

Where your coworker came up with the number $4,200 was probably by looking at the rates being charged on your employer's health plans for people in the 55 year old age bracket and multiplied it by 50%.

I've seen a lot of people claiming that their insurance costs are going to go down when Obamacare kicks in, but I think those folks are in for a very unpleasant surprise.

This 50% surcharge is being extensively discussed over in the other news forum: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...23-tobacco-smokers-pay-50-more-obamacare.html

JENerationX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2011
Rochester, NY
My current health care plan at work didn't specify e-cigs in "tobacco use", so I am currently signed on as a non-smoker. I don't smoke. As long as my doctor has classified me as a non-smoker, I'm classifying myself as a non-smoker until forced to do otherwise. If/when a blood test shows positive for nicotine, I'm ready and willing to take that to whatever level I need to and fight the nicotine vs. tobacco use fight. Some day, the insurance industry us going to be forced to deal with it. If there are enough people using alternative nicotine delivery, that day will come sooner rather than later.

vaprpunk1987

Jan 30, 2013
texas
not surprising that they are trying to squeeze every bit of money from everyone they possibly can. how else are they going to pay for the free birth control and college educations we are giving away to people who shouldn't even be here. i cant remember the last time i read or watched anything about current politics and didn't instantly get ...... off.

ad356

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2010
north java, ny
you're right takers dont pay for health insurance. sadly i dont pay for it either, but not because i am a taker simply because i cannot afford it. the family plan at work is in excess of $100 per week. i make $450 per week so if you subtract $100 from $450 you get $350. i dont know of anyone that can support a house on $350 per week. i personally have not been sick in a long time (sick enough to need the insurance) but my wife has her problems. i cannot afford to provide her with insurance. i work hard, i have a family and a home. i cannot afford insurance so im getting quite sick of all of this nonsense.

what gives????
i work full time yet i cannot afford insurance
i know allot of people that dont work that get their insruance handed to them.

its just wrong. health insurance rates piss me off big time. if you work full time you should be able to have good quality coverage at an affordable rate. $100 per week is hardly affordable. especially when you only make $14 per hour

"THE AFFORDABLE HEALTH CARE ACT"

total and utter BS

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
ad356, you've hit upon the problem that this country has gotten itself into. I'm afraid that Obumacare will be just one more large step into putting a vast number of people in an untenable position. The politicians are so far away from the reality of life in America that neither party will provide an answer before we see what other countries have seen in their streets.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
Life is Not "Fair"
It never has been and never will be.

Everyone seems to hate the Nanny State
and at the same time everyone seems to have
a long list of what the government should do.

The government can't even balance its own checkbook !!
:p

For all those looking to "Big Government" to make life fair ...
Good Luck

Last edited:

dfs405

ECF Veteran
Apr 7, 2010
amherst new york
ad356 - if I offended you I am sorry- you clearly are not what I meant as a taker. There are people in need of many things and we should help them if at all possible, but they should try at least to help themselves. You work hard and should get help to have a good health care plan as should all "workers" who need assistance-working people are not the problem as far as I can tell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread