Status
Not open for further replies.

Ipster

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2012
Hawaii, SAR,HongKong (Stanley)
shrug...for me, I know the ports are "delicate" and treat them accordingly. I look to see if I am plugging it in the correct way.
Haven't munched up one on anything yet...while my husband kills them all the time.

I also make sure the plug inserts easily...swipe the side of your nose and polish the plug with your fingers, it will go in effortlessly.
It's an old trick my grandfather taught me for electrical plugs :)
Great! Luv It!
Always treating them appropriately. that said (and with phones around $1K/ea) there was a time I was looking into the magnetic charging stones/charging mats, for matching electronics; havent imagined that for the PV world yet. I think theres less universal fit on mini usb. These are going to be dual functionality ports? Flow through/charge port AND firmware update?

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Ohio
so plenty will be miffed at this, but... How many of us have spent $$$$ on new phones, tablets, small electronics
only to have the mini usb port turn squishy/muck up?
IF the brilliant minds collaborating with ProVape have actually found a way to increase the quality of these
its going to be much more than a PV breakthrough! (Hell they'll be able to retire to their own island!).
LOL!

shrug...for me, I know the ports are "delicate" and treat them accordingly. I look to see if I am plugging it in the correct way.
Haven't munched up one on anything yet...while my husband kills them all the time.

I also make sure the plug inserts easily...swipe the side of your nose and polish the plug with your fingers, it will go in effortlessly.
It's an old trick my grandfather taught me for electrical plugs :)

same here on all of the different electronics I have had throughout the years I have never had a problem with the charging ports, heck I had my last iPhone for close to 4 years and a kindle fire for longer than that now :) I remember when the original MVPs came out there was a big problem with the charging ports coming loose, I never had a problem with the 4 I had (still have 1) but I was mindful of it and took care. The nice thing with this is if the port messes up provape will stand behind it and since you can remove the battery to charge it you won't lose the use of your PV meanwhile.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
so plenty will be miffed at this, but... How many of us have spent $$$$ on new phones, tablets, small electronics
only to have the mini usb port turn squishy/muck up?
IF the brilliant minds collaborating with ProVape have actually found a way to increase the quality of these
its going to be much more than a PV breakthrough! (Hell they'll be able to retire to their own island!).
LOL!

This will be the weak point. Unless ProVape designed and made their own USB hardware, the USB will be as reliable as that found in other box mods, so not so reliable...

Reactions: jwbnyc

Ipster

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2012
Hawaii, SAR,HongKong (Stanley)
OR, on an optimistic note? Perhaps they're known this from the start, considered a new anchoring design
and as mentioned will revolutionize far beyond the PV bsns! They are so totally dedicated to durability and quality.
Id venture a guess the first half dozen sent to "service" for spongy USB ports will have the designers amped.

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Ohio
This will be the weak point. Unless ProVape designed and made their own USB hardware, the USB will be as reliable as that found in other box mods, so not so reliable...

honestly how many box mods have you owned that you had a problem with the port? The only time I can ever remember in the last 4 years was with the original MVPs (3-4 years ago) and they took care of that first lot right away, even the cheapie (disposable) box mods now are not reporting port problems?

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
OR, on an optimistic note? Perhaps they're known this from the start, considered a new anchoring design
and as mentioned will revolutionize far beyond the PV bsns! They are so totally dedicated to durability and quality.
Id venture a guess the first half dozen sent to "service" for spongy USB ports will have the designers amped.

It would be nice, but given the price, I'm guessing an off the shelf USB unit...

Reactions: nebulis

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
honestly how many box mods have you owned that you had a problem with the port? The only time I can ever remember in the last 4 years was with the original MVPs and they took care of that first lot right away, even the cheapie (disposable) box mods now are not reporting port problems?

I suppose if you haven't had a problem, then no one has...
On a box mod? No. I've never owned one. In other devices? Yes, plenty of USB related issues. Do box mods use special USB units not found in other electronic devices?

Vicshalls

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Got a cell phone? :p

Seriously though, with most people in the P3 thread saying they can get at least a day out of an 18490, or more from an 18650, charging the Radius overnight isn't really an issue. Those of us who would use 40W might have to plug it in twice a day to top it off. I have an SXmini that I use anywhere from 30W to 60W, and I have never taken the battery out (and it only charges at 500mA). I recently posted on the SX thread about a display bug that happens when the Joule counter flips 1,000,000. When you remove the battery, the counter zero's. So, a 40W Radius will likely last me all day, at 40W. Everyone else should be just fine at at a lower wattage, just charging overnight.
my shark has a 18650 and i vape at about 10 w and if i want it to last all day i have to plug it in mid day. that just shows how much a chain vape. so the charging port for me is great. dont have to carry a battery and i can charge it on my computer while i am at lunch. i vape about 3 mls on my way to work and from about 8 am to 5 pm i do another 7 to 8 mls and at least another 5 to 6 when i get home. once home i change mods. and no going up in nic does not slow it down. that is why i went lower cause i just vaped way too much i was getting sick. lol

JohnD0406

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
i vape about 3 mls on my way to work and from about 8 am to 5 pm i do another 7 to 8 mls and at least another 5 to 6 when i get home. once home i change mods. and no going up in nic does not slow it down. that is why i went lower cause i just vaped way too much i was getting sick. lol

15-17ml/day!? Wow... Even at "high wattage" 30-60W I only burn through about 5ml/day, and I'm using 1mg-3mg (I make my own, as at high wattage, 3mg is too much).

Reactions: AstroTurf

rbrylawski

Sir Rod - MOL
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Tampa, FL
On a box mod? No. I've never owned one. In other devices? Yes, plenty of USB related issues. Do box mods use special USB units not found in other electronic devices?

Instead of assuming the charging port will be problematic, maybe wait and see. My money's on ProVape ensuring it will be quite reliable as is their standard for everything they make. Yes it is!

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Ohio

well I wasn't making it personal :) I was talking about reported problem in general with usb ports concerning PVs, really tube or box style as usb ports came into play quite some time ago in them. I just do not remember hearing of issues with them, other than the one time I mentioned, in the last 4 years.

Reactions: AstroTurf

Vicshalls

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Houston, TX
15-17ml/day!? Wow... Even at "high wattage" 30-60W I only burn through about 5ml/day, and I'm using 1mg-3mg (I make my own, as at high wattage, 3mg is too much).
if i could do without the nic i would go to zero and make my life easier. it is such a pacifi er. it is always in my hand. just crazy. this is why i could never understand how people could make a battery last days.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
well I wasn't making it personal :) I was talking about reported problem in general with usb ports concerning PVs, really tube or box style as usb ports came into play quite some time ago in them. I just do not remember hearing of issues with them, other than the one time I mentioned, in the last 4 years.

VaporSharks had issues with USB ports/connections, to name just one...

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
Instead of assuming the charging port will be problematic, maybe wait and see. My money's on ProVape ensuring it will be quite reliable as is their standard for everything they make. Yes it is!

I should hope so, but USB being a weak point has been mentioned quite often in previous speculation threads as to why ProVari wouldn't have one, as it would be the weak point of the mod...

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
Usb ports are almost never the problem......it's how they are mounted. If they are mounted in such a way that the board flexes when you plug into it (iow "spongey" plug), then eventually the solder points are going to give.
I highly doubt provape would be so thoughtless in their design.

Sent with one hand, the other is busy vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread