Old Reprobate rambles on about mech mods...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
Really great to read your appreciation for the devices. There is something about a tube mech and a dripper that has a lot of alure for me. I have to admit I won't spend the money for a high end mech, in fact my favorite is a $20 nemesis clone by hcigar, lol. Regardless, it is always a pleasure to clean it up and fire it up in the evening. Very nice.

Absolutely! Nothing like grabbing that mech, putting a few drops of juice in the atty, and taking a few hefty hits. Reminds me of the days I'd come home, drop my vest, kevlar, and my ruck, and fire up a cigar.

Speaking of firing up, I just recently greased my threads and switch on my mechs, the squish of the buttons are PHENOMENALLY quiet now. They don't sound like copper grinding against copper anymore (thankfully).

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
I still love the arcane, labor intensive nature of single battery mechs. The problem is that I know exactly what wattage I like to vape at, and single battery mechs cannot provide this safely, reliably OR most importantly consistently. The discharge curve of an unregulated device is a like a broken clock in the sense that it's right twice a day, except it's only right once.
99% of the time I'm vaping so I don't have to smoke, and a low maintenance reliable consistent regulated vape is what I want in my hand.
I do occasionally dig out my old favorite mechs to remind me why I don't use them anymore.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
MECHS never left my hands nor my heart, they are NOT dead, they just put on some shelves , collected some dust then got adopted my me

Attachments

• _MG_6002.jpg
    _MG_6002.jpg
    733 KB · Views: 29
  • _MG_6159.jpg
    _MG_6159.jpg
    806.4 KB · Views: 28
  • _MG_6210.jpg
    _MG_6210.jpg
    810.9 KB · Views: 28
  • _MG_6226-b.jpg
    _MG_6226-b.jpg
    600.7 KB · Views: 28
  • _MG_6236-Recovered.jpg
    _MG_6236-Recovered.jpg
    489.1 KB · Views: 26
  • _MG_6237.jpg
    _MG_6237.jpg
    619.6 KB · Views: 28
  • _MG_6256.jpg
    _MG_6256.jpg
    400.7 KB · Views: 27
  • anatolian-new patina-0004.jpg
    anatolian-new patina-0004.jpg
    600.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 12248003_1162425877105542_1945504176769320235_o.jpg
    12248003_1162425877105542_1945504176769320235_o.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 27
  • artemis-hybrd-0001.jpg
    artemis-hybrd-0001.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 27

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
and more

Attachments

• _MG_6425.jpg
    _MG_6425.jpg
    570.4 KB · Views: 20
  • _MG_6426.jpg
    _MG_6426.jpg
    512.8 KB · Views: 20
  • FEV-001.jpg
    FEV-001.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 21
  • FEV-JM-001.jpg
    FEV-JM-001.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 20
  • golden mods-0004.jpg
    golden mods-0004.jpg
    820.4 KB · Views: 20
  • MCR-blk-003.jpg
    MCR-blk-003.jpg
    390.2 KB · Views: 20
  • mcr.jpg
    mcr.jpg
    550.5 KB · Views: 21
  • MODS-001.jpg
    MODS-001.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 22
  • MODS-005.jpg
    MODS-005.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 20
  • nanos-brs-0000.jpg
    nanos-brs-0000.jpg
    618 KB · Views: 20

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Ok no more after this

Attachments

• Origen-JM-002.jpg
    Origen-JM-002.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 22
  • PAPS 2.jpg
    PAPS 2.jpg
    514.8 KB · Views: 20
  • PAPS-004.jpg
    PAPS-004.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 19
  • RCMODS2-0003b.jpg
    RCMODS2-0003b.jpg
    582.4 KB · Views: 21
  • ramble-ithaka.jpg
    ramble-ithaka.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 20
  • RCRUS-002.jpg
    RCRUS-002.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 21
  • woodpecker-004.jpg
    woodpecker-004.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 21
  • zen-FEV-001.jpg
    zen-FEV-001.jpg
    513.7 KB · Views: 22
  • zen-nectar-0002.jpg
    zen-nectar-0002.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 21

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX

t8kiteasy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2012
virginia beach
We discussed, had a bit of an argument, exchanged banter, opinions, information and at times even took the mickey out of the exchanges, the other day when we were talking about the Dreaded Mech Mods … which actually got me thinking about why I actually like the things as much as I do.

I suppose for me anyway, in part it comes from all the years of smoking pipes which you had to work with to get a good smoke, keep them in trim and looking good. Many’s the time of a Saturday morning when I had all of mine out for cleaning, reaming, polishing etc, my wife would say to me - “You know, I really don’t know what you’d find do with yourself if you ever stopped smoking the amount of time you spend spend fiddling and working with those things!”

Mech mods especially if used with dripping atomisers certainly do keep me busy a bit, the same way. The things do need checking over, cleaning and yes, polishing and the atomisers need their screws checked, posts cleaned, and refitted with new coils and wicks. Coils need to be made, checked, burned tuned etc.

As with a pipe where you had to be aware of how the tobacco in it was burning, how much of it was left, did the load need its packing in the bowl loosened or tamping down, with a mech you develop a sense of how much charge is left in the battery or whether it needs charging or if it’s coming to the end of its useful life, and of course with a Dripper you have to become aware of whether or not it needs topping up to avoid the evil dry hits or at the other extreme is it in danger of flooding. Of course Squonkers keep you also similarly occupied. In a way you almost develop a relationship with the things.

So summarising so far, the things keep both with my hands and my head occupied and present a challenge to get the best out of them.

Moving on, for me there is a tactile pleasure to the feel of a solid well made device and a pleasure in contemplating the thing - again as pipe smokers enjoy handling and admiring the grain and mountings of a high end pipe.

I do also collect watches, and I like the look and feel of a good mechanical one and its heft on the wrist as as others do on watch collecting forums and we also value them as things of beauty to be enjoyed for that as well as for their practical properties ( and we know that a £5.00 Casio Quartz will keep better time than any mechanical, incuding a Rolex) - looking at high end mech mods, to my mind there are some beautiful high end mods about - and they aren’t as expensive as high end watches!

Being just about 69, as my wife reminds me, “We can’t take it with us, so it does no harm now to spend a little on things we really want” … and as ever she is right there. I’ve been looking at some high end mods of late and have decided to splash out and buy one good one a year.

The Old Reprobate has rambled on enough!

Attached are some pix from the web of what I think are beauties for you to love or hate, depending on your viewpoint.

View attachment 806785 View attachment 806787 View attachment 806789 View attachment 806791 View attachment 806793
I do want the suicide king squonk mod. But since blowing my vape budget for the next few months on my side piece,I might not be able to save up to get one before they sell out ?

t8kiteasy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2012
virginia beach
I still love the arcane, labor intensive nature of single battery mechs. The problem is that I know exactly what wattage I like to vape at, and single battery mechs cannot provide this safely, reliably OR most importantly consistently. The discharge curve of an unregulated device is a like a broken clock in the sense that it's right twice a day, except it's only right once.
99% of the time I'm vaping so I don't have to smoke, and a low maintenance reliable consistent regulated vape is what I want in my hand.
I do occasionally dig out my old favorite mechs to remind me why I don't use them anymore.
Yep "like a broken clock " ,I agree. But I prefer 21700 mechs these days with a true 30A CD,even then the vape disipates but at a slower rate. I do still use parallel and series boxes though.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    I've a few tube mechs, but they got little use as I never cared much for the ergonomics of bottom buttons --- something I know I'd get over quickly if a Caravela ever fell into my hands.
    I have only one mech, a Sir Lancelot, a tube with a reverse threaded locking ring and a spring tensioned bottom button. I like the bottom button as it just raises up to make contact with the battery. No wires to switches, which really appeals to me. All 3 of my reg mods have side buttons, and for some reason the switches thing doesn't bother me at all.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 14, 2012
    U.S.
    Took the word outta my mouth! @anavidfan, your heart must be real big to fit all those mechs in.
    A lot of those were in rough condition or bought a while ago when mechs lost their value. Some I paid a pretty penny for, but not RRP. Many I could not do anything but dream of when they were released. My favorites are the ones that were gifted or rescued from really rough shape.

But I think the reason I love them so much is that they are used and came from really nice people so I associate them with those people.

t8kiteasy

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 22, 2012
    virginia beach
    Ok no more after this
    What happened to your ELA mods
    A lot of those were in rough condition or bought a while ago when mechs lost their value. Some I paid a pretty penny for, but not RRP. Many I could not do anything but dream of when they were released. My favorites are the ones that were gifted or rescued from really rough shape.

But I think the reason I love them so much is that they are used and came from really nice people so I associate them with those people.
    Either I missed them or was not paying attention but,I know you have a couple ELA's as I do and I did not see them in the pics? Do you still use them ??

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    I've a few tube mechs, but they got little use as I never cared much for the ergonomics of bottom buttons --- something I know I'd get over quickly if a Caravela ever fell into my hands.

Ya can't have mine :w00t:

I thank God every day that the industry finally made regulated mods that could safely do what irresponsible people were trying to do with mechanical mods. It's nice to finally have that dark period of mechanical vaping a thing of the past.

My first 'real' PV was a Mako Midi (2010) that lil thing (14500 battery) with a LR 510 atty is what permanently ended a near 60 year smoking habit. So what's not to love about a nice mechanical mod with a proper dripping atomizer.

What I have found, over the years, that with the mechanical mod & dripper, was there was no need to buy anything else. I wrap my own coils & make my own juice, so I have vaped virtually for free for many years now. (and that is how I can afford to have a couple of Caravelas)

P1010588_zpshhf52rtj.jpg

P1010583_zpsgoavjgl7.jpg

anavidfan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 14, 2012
    U.S.
    What happened to your ELA mods

Either I missed them or was not paying attention but,I know you have a couple ELA's as I do and I did not see them in the pics? Do you still use them ??
    The ELA, Loved them but they brought me so much frustration. I had 2 that I got when they first came out, SS and a Sand finish, but I sold them cause they drove me nuts

Then I got another one for practically nothing and drove me nuts, then I got one more and said Id keep it even if I never used it, but a buddy loved it and I sent it to Russia and there it lives.

I do have a pair of the SUper T workhorses, love them, have one 18500 and a 350.

t8kiteasy

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 22, 2012
    virginia beach
    The ELA, Loved them but they brought me so much frustration. I had 2 that I got when they first came out, SS and a Sand finish, but I sold them cause they drove me nuts

Then I got another one for practically nothing and drove me nuts, then I got one more and said Id keep it even if I never used it, but a buddy loved it and I sent it to Russia and there it lives.

I do have a pair of the SUper T workhorses, love them, have one 18500 and a 350.
    I do not think I could ever part with Satin ELA. Love it ,though do not much anymore as I do not use 22mm RDA's that much.

• Agree
    Reactions: anavidfan

Zaryk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    I agree, the more hands on aspect of a mech definitely appeals to me. I enjoy it quite a bit. I also run them be cause of the simple reliability. With a regulated mod I don't feel comfortable without a back up device (I've had a few fail me and leave me vapeless before), but with a mech I have went a very long time without a backup on me and without any issue and i have much more confidence that it will work without issue.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread