The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Penelope V2

Discussion in 'The GG' started by imeothanasis, Nov 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. D Stanley Querfurth

D Stanley Querfurth Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    Hannover, Germany
    no imeo,
    if i need a single coil ithaka i will take the ody rebuildable !!!

i want a telmachus with ceramik and non res -res- non res wire----
    or a Penelope v2 (fat body) , maybe inside telemachus or Ithaka

greetings Stan

p.s.:you have to know for sure that penny v 2 has more airflow than ithaka or ody....
    p.s.s..: telemachus is made for res wire lovers until now, so we ceramic lovers need a new atty for our etserigon tooooo

2. breminator

breminator Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 5, 2014
    Duisburg, Germany
    +1 on these options

3. Patricko

Patricko Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Belgium
    +1 for a telemahos with ceramic and res-NRes / fat Penny v2 :thumb:

4. FogNL

FogNL Senior Member ECF Veteran

Nov 25, 2013
    Amsterdam
    Hi V2 owners,

During the last few weeks I have been using a different type of silica rope in the V2 with great succes!
    It's called Ortmann rope (or 'schnur' in German) and I looks like this:

[​IMG]

This type of silica wick is widely used in the atomizers from Flash-e-Vapor that I have too. It looks a bit weird. The rope is much more loose and less twisted than regular silica rope. The looser structure and more straight orientation of the fibers makes it wick really well and really fast. I use it 'double on top' with about half of the rope running down the channels of the V2.

The V2 seems to love this wick. I have taken it up to 18 Watts so far and it keeps on wicking flawless. Not a hint of dry-ness and I can chain-vape it till the tank runs empty with an excellent well saturated taste. Very good!

I thought I'd share it here.

5. Lo zio

Lo zio Senior Member ECF Veteran

Nov 4, 2012
    Italy
    HHHmmmmm........
    This wick I really wouldn't reccomend; some time ago (a year) one guy in Italy made a couple of test with this wick and....well, let's stick to usual wick, would we?
    Look how it reacts to a flame:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Video (in italian):

Ortmann wick, ma è sicura ??? - YouTube

Now maybe after a year they are selling different stuff, but.... not a nice experience, I would leave it where it is.

6. steliosss

steliosss kindness always repays... be sure of that... Verified Member ECF Veteran

7. FogNL

Nov 25, 2013
    Amsterdam
    I don't know if it's the same but how a wicking material reacts on a blowtorch is irrelevant IMO. Cotton, Rayon and stuff like that doesn't react to well to a blowtorch either. Mesh crumbles in a good flame too. As does 'normal' silica (Ortmann is silica too).

8. Lo zio

Nov 4, 2012
    Italy
    Well of course cotton and rayon burn in the flame, too, but silica doesn't, otherwise there's something wrong to me.
    I torch silica on a regular basis before wicking, and with a flame way stronger than a lighter and nope, it does not burn, it glows up and then does nothing. So basically probably what they sell as silica rope is no silica at all.
    It's a little bit of an estreme experiment, I agree, and as the guy says in the video you could be fine just by assuring not to go dry in your atomizer, but... well, then I'll just stick to traditional silica.

Just my 2 cents, everybody can use what he likes as wicking material - not my business, in fact.

9. FogNL

Nov 25, 2013
    Amsterdam
    I have put the Ortmann rope in a flame too. It glows orange/yellow and nothing happens, just like other silica.

10. steliosss

steliosss kindness always repays... be sure of that... Verified Member ECF Veteran

Well.. ok then

11. Lo zio

Nov 4, 2012
    Italy
    Well, then ok, they are now obviously selling a different material than they had before.
    I was confused, because

but if it just glows and then nothing happens (as opposed to crumbling), it's probably fine, just another silica.

Personally I wouldn't buy anything from people who have been selling the stuff I showed in a previous post, but that's probably just me.

12. jesseseetai

jesseseetai Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 1, 2013
    louisville, ky, usa
    no matter what i do, i always end up getting a burnt taste in my V2. i do cotton builds and i've tried with cutting the wick off at the channels, i've tried it going half way down, i've tried it going all the way down. i've tried making the coil closer together in the center and i've tried with the coil more spread out. i've put a brand new ceramic in. at some point i've had the juice control open a full 5 turns and after a little bit i just start getting that burnt wick taste. i don't know what i'm doing wrong. the other 2 atomizers i use are the V3 and the ByLeo Sophia.... i never have any issues with either of these, so i don't know why i can't get the V2 right?

13. Ariel_MX

Ariel_MX Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 15, 2010
    Guadalajara, México
    Maybe using less cotton (but fluffy) could help.

14. RiverNut

RiverNut Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jun 1, 2012
    Texas
    try opening 2 turns then closing, then open 2 turns, vape and repeat if/when necessary

15. jesseseetai

jesseseetai Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 1, 2013
    louisville, ky, usa

i've actually kinda tried that River... and i've also tried doing some inhales before firing the mod just to get some more juice in the wick, but nothing really seems to work. i mean i don't know if i do that open and close thing every few vapes if that would work, but that would just be annoying

16. RiverNut

RiverNut Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jun 1, 2012
    Texas
    I don't know man...I have v1 and v3, but I remember some folks having wicking issues with v1 after using an aftermarket clear tank because there wasn't enough space between the tank and mouthpiece. Opening and closing every so often solved that for them.
    I don't remember anyone else having wicking issues with v2 . Keep watch here though, maybe someone will be helpful. Post a pic of your setup if you can, maybe even a shot of inside the tank with the mouthpiece in it. (from the bottom)

17. steliosss

That's definitely a "too much cotton" issue as Ariel said.
    Also try your cotton to be loose enough in your coil.

18. Laniere

Laniere Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 17, 2013
    Prato - Italy
    i've solved all my problems using dual coil at 0.80 ohm using 2 strands of 3.5 mm Silica.

I've fight so many times with my penny v2 when i received, i've read almost all the page on this thread. Got dryvape everytime, with everybuild. 2 strands of 1.5 mm silica, cotton, 3 strands of 1.5, 2 strands of 2 /2.5 mm silica, i've done like 50 builds. Someday, i tried 3 mm and more silica wick. NEVER had anymore problems at all. Single coil, dual coil , dual ribbon, everything just works fine. i suggest you to do not give up and give a look at this page

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/gg/488361-penelope-v2-160.html

where Itshak shows so many different builds with some really nice pic. They key is to try every setup and find what works for you . For me and my style of vape it's 3/3.5 mm silica wick doubled (I cut one wick at the start of the juice channels)

ps it is still one of my favourite atomizer (but it's probably me. I love my GG Queens:wub::wub: )

19. leemc37

leemc37 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 12, 2014
    Bridgend, UK.
    I had the burnt taste on mine a while ago, I changed my build style to 0.8 duals coil and its fine now everytime. I use Two piece's of 2mm silica, bottom piece goes fully down the channels and the top piece is cut flush to the sides, I havent had a single dry hit with this build and the taste is amazing :)

20. FogNL

Nov 25, 2013
    Amsterdam
    Amazing... I never managed to get my V2 working properly with silica either. I think I have made at least 100 builds on it trying every possible silica combo and arrangement I can think of. Always ending up with dry hits sooner or later.

A lot of times I made a build and right from the start if vapes like a dream. Absolutely great. Then I think I finally cracked the nut. But after a few hours or overnight the dry hits / burned taste start again. I planned to sell it so many times. But I still have it...

I have a decent collection of atty's of all sorts, types and sizes. Silica, cotton and Gennies. I can build most if them blindfolded. No so the V2. I really don't understand but it's probably my fault. It drives me mad so that's why I just leave it most of the time. :blush:

In sharp contrast I think the V3 is one of the best tank atty's ever made! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.