Not open for further replies.

Bishopheals

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2012
Staten Island
www.youtube.com
Some asked me to show how I was able to fit 3 wicks. I cleaned out my Penelope and I just did another but this time I used the coil that Penelope came with.

I placed the 3 wicks together and as i start to circle the first coil I twist all 3 wicks then circle a coil twist the 3 wicks circle another coil. I kept this up till i saw i was getting close to the non resistance wire. Now if I had a bench that i can twist and hole the 3 wicks in pace with a pinch lets say then the coiling would be very easy and quick and neat. As you can see with the twist motion alone on second picture the wicks fall in flush. If I don't twist the 3 wicks while I'm doing the coil it will never fit.

hope that helps and it produces extra nice vape.

5 coils triple wick1.jpg 5 coils triple wick2.jpg 5 coils triple wick.jpg

Reactions: thetrucker

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
I've changed to 2 ohms now.

I don't really know why but it's better. Even with the voltage cranked on a 3ohm coil it's just not the same. I can't remember the formula now but I was basically pushing the same wattage through a 2ohm coil and a 3ohm coil, something like 3.9 volts and 5.4 respectively. Ended up liking the 2ohm more. Making 2ohm stuff now and I'm done experimenting for the time being. 3 wick works great.

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
I find the hit juicier and it really brings out the flavour in high VG juices. I'm not sure everyone would like it.

It's one of these things like when you try Pepsi and Coke...you just like one more and people tend to stick with the one they like. Yet they really aren't drastically different but the subtle differences are enough that a Pepsi drinker for the most part won't touch Coke if given a choice.

Same thing I found with coils. I can put the same watts through a 2ohm and 3ohm coil by adjusting my voltage. Yet I like the 2ohm coil more. I tested it blindly 10 times and picked the 2ohm Penelope each time. It's hard to describe but I guess 2ohm triple wick is my Pepsi.

northofamerica

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2012
Saskatoon
Coke hurts my guts :)

Thanks for the pics and description! I'm still awaiting my Pen and Ody (sounds like a cartoon) but I can see the benefits of having the 3 wicks even if using 70% pg.
Does it make it harder to thread the screw down the cup when it has that much wick down the side? I just got a couple pairs of precision needle nose clamps this weekend that I may put to use when trying this top keep the wicks twisted. I will try the Ody like this and the Pen with a normal wick.. that is if I can actually rebuild a coil :p

Bishopheals

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2012
Staten Island
www.youtube.com
Single wicks for me burn to fast because of my style of vaping. I burned to many ce2 because I like to vape/inhale real slowly to fill up my lungs and most of the time I’m holding the power button for a good 8 seconds to 10 to complete the process (I love to inhale straight to lungs not to mouth).

Using one wick just doesn’t cut it for me. The problems I face is a burnt wick and bad taste. I would have to change my technique to vape a little quicker than usual and not holding power button to long. I prefer taking my time as I taste each notes when inhale and exhale. Loading it up with 3 wicks allows me to take advantage of that saturated wick. I can use my 100 percent VG or my 70/30 juice in peace and and it keeps it real soaked and not gurgly. You won’t have to use the flow control till after a good 5-6 long puffs at 4.2-4.8 volts at 5.2 volts and up I noticed I can’t take my sweet time since it can change and later the taste real soon like 5-6 seconds. This happens I open flow control a little then seal it. Those coils pump out a lot of heat(coil was 2.2 OHM).

A lot has to do with the kind of technique you prefer using when vaping. If you’re a fast vapor that like to pull quick as if it was a analog cig then this may not be for you. If you’re the type that that likes to kicks back and listen to some great tunes and vape in peace and inhale slowly without worrying of it burning so you can taste each note and exhale with that content feeling of pleasure then this style maybe for you.

PS 3 wicks after they have been coiled and placed on ceramic cup. You will want one wick only to travel on either side of channel. The remaining two on the side needs to be cut flushed to the side of the ceramic cup. This done after placing the coil in your ceramic cup.

Last edited:

Bishopheals

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2012
Staten Island
www.youtube.com
Just to clarify if you look at my 2nd photo you can see the 3 wicks on top of the ceramic cup and on side channels. I only cut the two from side channels and leaving 1 long one from top to travel along side the 2 channels. I cut the two wicks because 3 dont fit on the side channel and its not needed. To achieve what i mention you only need 3 wicks on top of the ceramic cup and 1 to travel alongside the 2 channel which will provide the juice to the other wicks and keep it real moist.

Also I didn't mention that when I cut the 2 wicks I cut it after placing the coil on the ceramic cup. this will help to cut it flush from the bottom of the channel side. The two short pieces facing down in the ceramic cup and the one long piece facing up which will be used to travel alongside the 2 channels. Then use the bolt to hold everything in place as shown in pic 3.

Bishopheals

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2012
Staten Island
www.youtube.com
Thanks Justin, I used to smoke a lot of high premium cigars and regular premium cigarettes. When i smoked cigarettes it was always inhaled fast and at times no time to sit down and enjoy one it was fast puffs and flicker. Cigars I smoked them when I had a few hours to kill. I love tasting the rich flavors and the aroma. Mmmm So when i started to vape i noticed I enjoyed the vape a whole lot more if I smoked it like a cigar. Cigars technique I tend to puff slow so i give myself the chance to taste every note and smell the aroma. I'd play around with it exhale through nose let some hit you back of throat hold it in before exhaling etc. To really really enjoy it u know. Unfortunately I cant do this technique with a single wick without it burning on me. That's why I do 3 wicks so i don't have to change my technique I can inhale longer without it burning at high volts. I can take my slow drag and not taste anything different or burn.

I welcome anyone to try and give it a good honest run for a week. i'm sure after you have and its done right you wont go back to single wicks ever again.

Last edited:

RiverNut

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2012
Texas
3 wicks definitely gives a deeper, heavier, juicier, tastier vape! It was the first coil I made 10 days ago and still going strong. After about 6 ml usage I rinse it in hot water, give it a dry burn and Ive got a fresh coil. It does require a longer draw though. I like to take a couple primer draws to get the coil heated up and then take my inhale draw.

Bishopheals

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2012
Staten Island
www.youtube.com
3 wicks definitely gives a deeper, heavier, juicier, tastier vape! It was the first coil I made 10 days ago and still going strong. After about 6 ml usage I rinse it in hot water, give it a dry burn and Ive got a fresh coil. It does require a longer draw though. I like to take a couple primer draws to get the coil heated up and then take my inhale draw.

Just a heads up when preparing to switch juices. I'm sure you wash it out etc. What I do is if the wick looks to bad i remove the wick and re coil it using the same coil. Saves on not needing to create a new coil and re using the same coil I've done it so far 3 times without the coil breaking on me. I just throw away the wick and reuse coil. On my other pen I tried just washing it out without changing anything. i did notice a small small change in taste but nothing huge.

RiverNut

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2012
Texas
Just a heads up when preparing to switch juices. I'm sure you wash it out etc. What I do is if the wick looks to bad i remove the wick and re coil it using the same coil. Saves on not needing to create a new coil and re using the same coil I've done it so far 3 times without the coil breaking on me. I just throw away the wick and reuse coil. On my other pen I tried just washing it out without changing anything. i did notice a small small change in taste but nothing huge.
I was wondering about that. In fact this morning when I cleaned my 10 day coil the wick on one side of the channels just fell off. Do you keep the coil in its coiled state when you replace the wick or do you straighten out and rewrap a new coil.
And about the long draw...I just made a 3 wick for my Penelope which has a lighter draw than my Ody and it pumps the vapor with little effort.
Also, does anyone know if we can solder our wires instead of twisting them together? Twisting is kind of a pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread