Status
Not open for further replies.

Susan W.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Torrance, CA
It looks more like red than purple to me. Preloader is going to sacrifice one of his ProVaris to try powercoating it, then if all goes well, we can send him ours and he will take the circuit boards out and send them to get them sandblasted and painted. This isn't something that can be done at home so artsy doesn't come in play. Though I can make you a ghetto marabou boa to match.....

WHERE DOES ONE GET THAT BLACK CHERRY SPARKLE??? That is beyond HOT! Is it kind of purple or am I seeing it wrong? I'm going ape s@@t over here for that one! Why oh why can I not be more artsy to do these things!?!?

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
WHERE DOES ONE GET THAT BLACK CHERRY SPARKLE??? That is beyond HOT! Is it kind of purple or am I seeing it wrong? I'm going ape s@@t over here for that one! Why oh why can I not be more artsy to do these things!?!?

These are by the same company Sir Sloth linked to. I think Solaris Black Cherry Sparkle is almost like a cherry cola color.

Powder Coating Colors

ETA: You couldn't do that sort of thing at home. You would have to have a sandblasting booth and commercial oven - plus the experience not to screw it up.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
I posted this somewhere earlier. I think we should contact ProVape to find out if there is a particular reason they decided not to to use powder coating. Is cerakote really that much more durable? Why not high gloss? Is it cost? The colors we are looking at are so much cooler than what ProVape sells, it seems odd they wouldn't make their products really pop.

Preloader

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2013
Oakland, CA
That's a good question. Long ago I used to be a Fitness equipment technician. And the company I worked for would take old treadmills, and stairmasters and refurb them. I'd strip them down and take the frames and such to a powdercoater, then we'd reassemble them and sell them to local gyms. I would then get to service them over the next couple years as parts constantly break, and would get to see the evidence of how well the coating withstood the abuse.

If you can imagine the abuse a stairmaster sees at a cram-packed YMCA year-round, then you should be impressed at how durable a quality powdercoat job is. It is very resistant to scratching, chipping or staining (think salty sweat-stain resistant).

So I think the blue option is off the table, but I am really on the fence between the Bronze and the Green. I'll let the influencing continue til about Thursday when I should have some time to actually contract the job of powdercoating. It's going to get real, pretty fast.

Zbeast08

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2013
Wilson, NC, USA
I had the wheels on my viper powder coated 2 years ago, matte black, and not a scratch or chip or signs of wear and that's on a wheel. I actually have tracked that car a couple times on a road course which the wheels from the brakes get really hot!! I think powder is the way to go!!

Preloader

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2013
Oakland, CA
Again on the fitness stuff, we gave customers the option of smooth or wrinkle. PBP calls it Krinkle. I will say that the textured wrinkle looks great IRL. This would be interesting on a ProVari and not that it's been an issue for my calloused hands, but would improve grip.

kiwi.jpg

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
That black cheery was my first pick too.
https://www.powderbuythepound.com/SOLARIS_BLACK_CHERRY-SK16071/
You have to consider what your going to top it with too.

I heard Provari uses gun finishes and they were more durable than powder coating. Idk how true that is. I certainly see a lot of scratched up finishes on the classies. The color range currently offered doesn't thrill me much, including the purple (gasp). Even the bue appears dull.

Preloader

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2013
Oakland, CA
I didn't even consider yet the majestic topping this thing shall require. Good Call!

I have my first custom Phiniac in the works, but will it be enough? I suppose at the very least I should include some IBTank caps with the powdercoating order, just to have options. So glad this wasn't overlooked. Good catch.

AngiBe

Vapeaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
Indy, IN
I posted this somewhere earlier. I think we should contact ProVape to find out if there is a particular reason they decided not to to use powder coating. Is cerakote really that much more durable? Why not high gloss? Is it cost? The colors we are looking at are so much cooler than what ProVape sells, it seems odd they wouldn't make their products really pop.

I agree 100% with this. I bet it's the cost but even some metallic with the purple and pink they offer now would maybe make them look better. I'm not knocking anyone who owns them at all, but to me they look pastel, Easter egg looking.

But ProVari could really knock it out of the park w/better car finish, high gloss, metallics like that Black Cherry or other colors on that chart.

Susan W.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Torrance, CA
The purple isn't a pastel but it's a weird purple and I'm not even sure if making it shiny would improve it much. IMO it needs to be a totally different purple color.

I agree 100% with this. I bet it's the cost but even some metallic with the purple and pink they offer now would maybe make them look better. I'm not knocking anyone who owns them at all, but to me they look pastel, Easter egg looking.

But ProVari could really knock it out of the park w/better car finish, high gloss, metallics like that Black Cherry or other colors on that chart.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Again on the fitness stuff, we gave customers the option of smooth or wrinkle. PBP calls it Krinkle. I will say that the textured wrinkle looks great IRL. This would be interesting on a ProVari and not that it's been an issue for my calloused hands, but would improve grip.

kiwi.jpg

Reo using "textured" types of finishes on some of their models, but the Reo surface is flat. I wonder how the wrinkle would work out with the ProVari dimples?

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The purple isn't a pastel but it's a weird purple and I'm not even sure if making it shiny would improve it much. IMO it needs to be a totally different purple color.

I hadn't heard of RAL colors until I was looking at the powder coat colors. Is your purple close to anything on this chart?

RAL Color Chart | www.RALcolor.com

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012

It appears that Solaris Black Cherry Sparkle is becoming the official color for at least one faction of the ProVarinati. Perhaps we should have teams of represented by different colors?

Did you know sloths are often green? There is an algae that grows in their fur during the rainy season. Is it possible Sir Solth is trying to match himself?

sloth.jpg

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
That black cheery was my first pick too.
https://www.powderbuythepound.com/SOLARIS_BLACK_CHERRY-SK16071/
You have to consider what your going to top it with too.

I heard Provari uses gun finishes and they were more durable than powder coating. Idk how true that is. I certainly see a lot of scratched up finishes on the classies. The color range currently offered doesn't thrill me much, including the purple (gasp). Even the bue appears dull.

ProVape supposedly uses cerakote, but I haven't been able to find a good color chart. It's primarily used for guns, so all I finding are various shades of green and browns.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Based only on the mods that I own, I've found that the carokote finish on my Provari's is far more durable than the powder-coated paint finishes of my two AltSmoke mechanical mods.

My Provari's see far more attention from me than the two mechs. I've had both mech mods for 1.5 years, but since I got my first Provari they have been mostly collecting dust. Taking in consideration of the actual time all my mods have been in active daily use, the Provari's finish has held up better.

The mechs have a high gloss finish which have a few deeper scratches and nicks on them, and if you look close under brighter light, you can seen multiple fine scratches over the entire mod. My standard blue Provari is 14 months old, and only has two tiny nicks in its finish, and no signs of wear over the rest of its surface. My 8 month old black mini looks as pristine as the day I received it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread