the_vape_nerd

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
New Orleans, LA
Hello again Friends,

With fda regs looming at the end of the year, I'm at a point where I am considering buying and freezing a large quantity (for me) of nic in high concentration. I intend to buy a liter from RTS vapes (100 mg strength).

My plan is to not even use this stuff until after the regs come out and put it directly into the freezer.

I've not frozen nic before.

What preparations, if any do I need to do beforehand?

Can I just put it in the freezer as it arrives? in the bottle?

Bob Chill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Sans Nom, USA
BI did the math and figured out how much I would use every 2-3 months and divided it up that way. I make juice for 3-4 so 120ml of 100mg works well so I packed my nic in 120ml cobalt bottles with polyseal caps (the kind with the cone in it).

Sterilize the bottles in boiling water and dry thoroughly. Fill very close to the top of the narrow neck. Maybe a quarter inch. With the polyseal cap this leaves very little air in the bottle. Light and air degrade the nic. Light is easy to keep away. Air is trickier.

Each of my bottles has about a skittle sized air bubble in them. Nic does not expand when frozen. I also went through the trouble of vacuum sealing each bottle individually because I plan on storing for 3+ years.

You can freeze a shipped glass bottle but once you use some the air effect accelerates even in the freezer. Best to prepare in advance.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Hello again Friends,

With fda regs looming at the end of the year, I'm at a point where I am considering buying and freezing a large quantity (for me) of nic in high concentration. I intend to buy a liter from RTS vapes (100 mg strength).

My plan is to not even use this stuff until after the regs come out and put it directly into the freezer.

I've not frozen nic before.

What preparations, if any do I need to do beforehand?

Can I just put it in the freezer as it arrives? in the bottle?

To be honest that's what I do. I receive it in plastic bottles I don't open it and just put it in the freezer.

Now the plentyful view on this forum is to divide the nic up into anywhere from 30ml to 120ml brown or cobalt blue glass bottles. Fill the bottles up to the brim to allow for little to no air to remain in the bottles, cap tightly and store in the freezer. Then only remove from the freezer what you will use in 3 months (Thus the different size bottles mentioned earlier).

My personal opinion is thats way to much work and I'll take my chances with my method.

Last edited:

Berner

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2013
Niskayuna,NY,USA
I buried the 55 gallon drums in the back yard. I figure the constant cool temp of the ground will be as effective as freezing.

I store mine in 1.5 ml cryovials immersed in liquid nitrogen. That way I can thaw I vial to make 10 ml of eliquid at 15 mg/ml nic. It's a lot of work initially but not so bad if you use the robotic pipetter. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
Make sure to shake it really well!!

Someone posted that their nic was off and contacted the supplier and the supplier said it was because it wasn't shaken well before dividing.

I just divided mine up into brown glass bottles. I put the bottles into a small plastic cooler so the bottles wouldn't break and just stuck it in the freezer.

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
To be honest that's what I do. I receive it in plastic bottles I don't open it and just put it in the freezer.

Now the plentyful view on this forum is to divide the nic up into anywhere from 30ml to 120ml brown or cobalt blue glass bottles. Fill the bottles up to the brim to allow for little to no air to remain in the bottles, cap tightly and store in the freezer. Then only remove from the freezer what you will use in 3 months (Thus the different size bottles mentioned earlier).

My personal opinion is thats way to much work and I'll take my chances with my method.

I was very tempted to do that!

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I store mine in 1.5 ml cryovials immersed in liquid nitrogen. That way I can thaw I vial to make 10 ml of eliquid at 15 mg/ml nic. It's a lot of work initially but not so bad if you use the robotic pipetter. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Then you should be good until at least 2212:)

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia

I recommend having for a 50 mL bottle about 2 mL of head space. If the liquid gets warm for whatever reason, like it was bottled in a cold winter-time kitchen, and then taken out of the freezer on a very warm day, the liquid will expand, and can leak out from under the cap...or build pressure.

Plastic will allow O2 to pass through the walls slowly over time. glass will not.

The size of the bottles was sort of arbitrary when I first figured all this out. Basically I want to take out of the freezer enough to use at ambient conditions for several weeks, leaving the rest untouched in the freezer. I do have a 500 mL glass bottle of 100 mg VG in my freezer too, and will divvy that up into smaller bottles when I get room and more bottles. Most of mine is in 30-50 mL amber bottles with eurodroppers, for syringe dispensing and no spills while the bottle is open (very important for 100 mg liquid).

unknown_shooter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2013
Phoenix AZ
I recommend having for a 50 mL bottle about 2 mL of head space. If the liquid gets warm for whatever reason, like it was bottled in a cold winter-time kitchen, and then taken out of the freezer on a very warm day, the liquid will expand, and can leak out from under the cap...or build pressure.

Plastic will allow O2 to pass through the walls slowly over time. glass will not.

The size of the bottles was sort of arbitrary when I first figured all this out. Basically I want to take out of the freezer enough to use at ambient conditions for several weeks, leaving the rest untouched in the freezer. I do have a 500 mL glass bottle of 100 mg VG in my freezer too, and will divvy that up into smaller bottles when I get room and more bottles. Most of mine is in 30-50 mL amber bottles with eurodroppers, for syringe dispensing and no spills while the bottle is open (very important for 100 mg liquid).

You don't need any "headspace" because the base doesn't freeze in a standard fridge. FWIW, you'll get more than 50ml in a 50ml bottle as well - the rated bottle capacity isn't filled to the brim.

cookiebun

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2011
Central Ohio
Interesting !!! I have never frozen 100mg nic (or any nic), Just went and checked, not frozen after 2 days, still liquid. Must be why they use it in anti-freeze (the non toxic stuff).;) Does yours turn into ice? Just wondering if this was normal.

Vape On
:vapor:

Great question. I hope we get an answer.

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina

Burnie

The Bug Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009