Status
Not open for further replies.

redrhino

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NY,CA,FL
you don't like things being improved?

my first run Protege works/worked just fine with a tact switch, and works with a mech switch. claiming we are "beta testers" seems a bit exaggerated. when the majority of a product sold performs just fine, and a small percentage have issues that can often be worked out by the consumer, then it's really REACHING to say the product is "underbaked".

sounds like you're suggesting companies should make only one device and never change it or improve on that product.

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Rotaryfeen

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2010
Millbrae, Ca.
WE should all still be driving a Model T.

I've been mulling this over since reading this announcement, and concluded I feel taken by PS.

I started vaping with a KR808D1, figuring it was an inexpensive way to get in to this and see if it would satisfy me. Once I found that answer, I searched and read for several weeks about a PV that would serve as my sole device: for my needs, the Protege seemed to fit the bill.

In reading the overview of V1.1, it seems that everything has been redesigned. Progress is a great thing. But the redesign covers flaws in V1: the endcap and threads, the switches, the adapter, the machine work, basically the entire device.

It seems those of us who bought Protege V1 were the beta testers, much like Prodigy V1 buyers were for that device. Then I made the mistake of buying the useless mechanical switch when it came out. While I am grateful to see improvements being made, I am miffed that I spent the coin on the Protege + mechanical switch to get a substandard device; and am forced to pay the price again to get one that works as it is supposed to.

And don't accuse me of looking for a freebie, I am not.

My conclusion is PS makes decent products and generally has good service. However, I want a device that is rock-solid reliable and not engineered on the fly. I have learned that my Protege is not this device, Protege V1.1 may be, but I'll never know. Since I need to spend the money to get what I want, my money is going elsewhere out of concern for reliability and resentment that I bought what the manufacturer knew was an underbaked device.

raqball

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2010
I agree! It's called progression and I applaud PS for updating the device and fixing the problems...

It boils down to a 3 part conclusion in my mind...

One is keeping up with the Jones' so to speak... New devices come out all the time and have new and better features... If PS wants to compete in this market then they must do the same... And it looks like they are doing a pretty good job at that...

The 2nd reason as I see it is sales... Lets be honest here... PS either makes a continual profit or they fold.... A new device or an upgraded device generates sales... Version one users who love it, want the new features and buy it... That generates buzz and more new users are attracted....

The 3rd is providing the best device to the customer that they can... That means updates or upgrades to existing devices...

I see the decision as being a very sound one for keepin up with the Jones' and making a profit to stay in bizz, and to their commitment of providing the best device that they can to the customer....

My .03

Kris

Last edited:

New_World

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2009
I wish that in that list of new features for the Protege V1.1 real venting, apart from the switch area, was included. Yes, a single protected battery is much safer than multiple and/or unprotected ones. However, please consider this feature, because just because something has not happened yet does not mean that it won't. A real explosion will be different than just venting. On a positive note, the new switches look good. I used one of the first Prodigy V2's with plastic switch and it was not always the greatest at making consistent contact.

I agree with venting.

At least it would give me more.......peace of mind. :)

Flitzanu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
Tulsa, OK, U.S.A.
www.myspace.com
I agree with venting.

At least it would give me more.......peace of mind. :)

the Prodigy v2 uses protected RCR123 3.0v batteries.

the ones that have been problematic are the unprotected CR2 3.0v batteries, and PS doesn't use those.

also did you look for the post by PS about Steve intentionally shorting out the Protege to see what happens with the battery?

understandably it may bring you more peace of mind having holes drilled in them, but to date, there have been no occurrences with these batteries and devices blowing up or venting. (that i'm aware of).

buGG

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2009
brush²
And it's the BLUE CR2's..... The GREEN ones appear to be OK...

yeah, and all batteries need to be used responsibly regardless of type, color, etc. but these cr2s...i just don't know. the most reputable manufacturer of them appears to be ultrafire anyway, which can't be but so good. admittedly, i own them and use them, but if i knew tenergy, aw, pila, or other manufacturers that consistently excel in product performance and responsible safety applications i'd feel a lot better about grabbing cr2s, "protected" or not, for smaller 6v mod use.

also, in terms of the protege and other single battery applications like it this has not been a problem.

buGG

Last edited:

New_World

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2009
the Prodigy v2 uses protected RCR123 3.0v batteries.

the ones that have been problematic are the unprotected CR2 3.0v batteries, and PS doesn't use those.

also did you look for the post by PS about Steve intentionally shorting out the Protege to see what happens with the battery?

understandably it may bring you more peace of mind having holes drilled in them, but to date, there have been no occurrences with these batteries and devices blowing up or venting. (that i'm aware of).

yep.
its not likly at all.

but if there was a bad batch of something and we didn't know about it or whatever.

the what ifs.....lol

but really, I don't know much about batteries ...so I can't say too much.

it does vent through the switch or so I've read.
But in my opinion, you can't be too safe.....or can you?:)

vent holes would just be like extra iceing on top of the cake in my opinion.:D

Flitzanu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
Tulsa, OK, U.S.A.
www.myspace.com
yep.
its not likly at all.

but if there was a bad batch of something and we didn't know about it or whatever.

the what ifs.....lol

but really, I don't know much about batteries ...so I can't say too much.

it does vent through the switch or so I've read.
But in my opinion, you can't be too safe.....or can you?:)

vent holes would just be like extra iceing on top of the cake in my opinion.:D

what about the 1000+ Prodigy V1 units and i believe over 1500+ Protege units not blowing up or venting? is that peace of mind? :)

j4g3rb0mb3d

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
Chicago, IL
what about the 1000+ Prodigy V1 units and i believe over 1500+ Protege units not blowing up or venting? is that peace of mind? :)

Over 2000 protege's lol.

I personally don't want venting in my units. I think the vents could be counteractive because i think vents would be more or less a nozzle for the superheated gasses. I'm willing to bet that the detonator guy's hole in his leg (if you haven't seen it, look on the "other" forum) was due to the fact that it had a vent in it.

North Shore

ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2010
Rockport, MA
If you read the postings from the GG section (http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/gg/64570-gg-safety-tested-proved.html), you will see that venting really can work. Sadly, fearing CR2's in general, that designer has canceled that product anyway. Detonator guy did indeed get a real ugly burn on his leg, but it beats shrapnel in an artery. If his PV featured a solid safety lock on the switch this may never have happened. From the pictures, this does not seem to be the case. People make fun of the power robbing LED lights on the VP series, but those vents are on the side of the battery that does the venting. They are not a perfect solution either, because they should ideally be angled away from your face, not straight out, but it is still a good start. Likewise a hole in the cap would be good, if you reversed the battery to run in stealth mode. The Super T S6 that can accept CR2's uses vents that are angled. The only down side of venting to me--and there is always a downside to any design--is the possibility of moisture infiltration into the battery case, which could cause a short, in and of itself. So, I guess if things go boom there is no perfect choice. However, if you look at what happened to the guy with the BB, which has no vent that I can see, compared to those other two cases, I think you will see my logic. So, I think that Puresmoker should probably consider some sort of emergency venting for the future. Forgive the length of my post. I wish you all a great day and pleasant vapeing.

anim8r

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2009
DC

You'd think so :)

But, my wife is using my other Protege and she's just too pretty to risk a chipped tooth or two, so I did this to my Proteges:

drilled.jpg

It doesn't detract toooooo much.

And those pics of the new Protege are Awesome Steve!! I really like the beveled switch housing!

buGG

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2009
brush²

But, my wife is using my other Protege and she's just too pretty to risk a chipped tooth or two, so I did this to my Proteges:

drilled.jpg

And those pics of the new Protege are Awesome Steve!! I really like the beveled switch housing!

looks good, anim8r! doesn't detract at all...nice work!

buGG

New_World

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2009

drilled.jpg

looks good as far as I can tell from pics.

the v1.1 looks nice as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread