Status
Not open for further replies.

mostapha

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA
To each his own indeed……I'd go back to smoking before I'd let a godawful touchscreen encroach that much more on my life.

I'm really not kidding. I hate those things. I know the world disagrees with me, but my last phone purchase was based on "what smart phone can I get for at most 1 cent?" because I "need" a smartphone, but even the good (well…high end) ones are so freaking bad that I tend to chuck them at things. I was afraid the Provari was going to be the same way. Fortunately, that leap of faith paid off.

MattB101

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2012
Deerfield Beach, FL
My main objection has always been price and sometimes the attitude of what I lovingly refer to as "Provari Nazis." I.E. If it's not a Ptovari it's garbage and even a Noob should buy a Provari to solve every problem. That said I think the Provari as it stands now is becoming seriously out of date. I refer to variable wattage. It is going to be seriously expensive for all those Provari users to upgrade. I think VW is the future. Also take a look at the eGo Evic, completely computerized and as I see it software upgradable at around $110.00 (Not firm as not released for general consumption yet). The new VAMO, Evic and others are become extremely competitive to the Provari and at an excellent price point. Just my two cents. YMMV

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
My main objection has always been price and sometimes the attitude of what I lovingly refer to as "Provari Nazis." I.E. If it's not a Ptovari it's garbage and even a Noob should buy a Provari to solve every problem. That said I think the Provari as it stands now is becoming seriously out of date. I refer to variable wattage. It is going to be seriously expensive for all those Provari users to upgrade. I think VW is the future. Also take a look at the eGo Evic, completely computerized and as I see it software upgradable at around $110.00 (Not firm as not released for general consumption yet). The new VAMO, Evic and others are become extremely competitive to the Provari and at an excellent price point. Just my two cents. YMMV

Who says we need or even want to upgrade.I have a variable wattage device I use every day. Its called a cartomizer.I buy it in the same resistance, 10-20 at a time and they only cost 1.75 each.The really sad thing is those cheap stainless steel cartomizers are tougher than some of the VW mods coming out to replace them.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I fell into the lesser priced ecig market when I first started vaping. "Why pay $160 plus batteries for a variable voltage PV", I asked myself. I spent $35 for a 510 kit, $50 for an eGo, and almost that for a Riva kit. I tried atomizers, cartomizers, tanks of all kinds, and still didn't find the ecig of my dreams. I probably spent well over $200 chasing the low priced winner.

One day, I realized that I spent about $180 a month on cigarettes (and I live in a low priced area for tobacco). Suddenly, it dawned on me that I could spend that much one time for a really high quality mod and maybe end the chase.

So, I dusted off the credit card and ordered a Satin Provari and 4 18650 batteries. I already had a Trustfire charger for the batteries. The Provari came in and I popped a 3 ohm cart on it. Once I played around with voltages, I found that even a .1 volt change in voltage was detectable in the vape. I could tell a difference between 3.7v. 3.8v, and 3.9v.

I wondered how accurate this thing was, so I screwed on my inline digital voltmeter (about $15 from vendors) and installed my 3 ohm carto on the end. When set at 4v, the digital meter read 3.99v. Cool! I changed the carto to a 1.5 ohm and vaped. The DMM still read 3.99v. Really cool!

You get quality and stability in a higher priced mod and to me it's worth the money, especially if you use the money you would have spent on cigarettes to purchase it. It's a no brainer once you think about it in those terms.

ETA: It's made completely of stainless steel, so you don't have to worry about the atomizer threads wearing out. My eGo's got a little sloppy after a couple of years of screwing and unscrewing cartos. If you drop it on concrete, chances are you will have to look really hard to tell where it struck the concrete. Stainless steel is tough stuff. 18650 batteries cost about $5 each and they last forever. I'm 8 months into rotating 4 of them with no signs of fatigue at all. After multiple drops and rolls on the driveway, my Provari still looks new. There is one tiny scuff that you can see if you hold it just right in the light and rotate it back and forth.

Last edited:

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Everyone will like what they like if you like the twist or spinner go for it, if the zmax floats your boat enjoy........ I bought a provari and never picked up my twist again and the vamo is used as a ohms checker more or less and to dry burn or check coils, I use my PV all day every day and unlike these peeps it goes everywhere with me, I like it so much im getting another one.
Im a big guy so even with the x cap its neither large or heavy to me.
I get the same exact hit until the battery shuts off. and the button? well I thought about it and like everything else it's designed for durability not elegance. yea i became a fanboy, never thought I would be either. after researching it the PV has a military class circuitboard and ive beat the crap out of it and never had a problem yet.
the twist works and it helped me quit smoking, but I will probable never pick one up again unless my pv is off for repairs. something that you cannot do with other apv's.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla

well - sort of agree, the last update for the provari was i think 25 bucks.
personally when you start getting in the 100 plus range you need to offer me repairability or a more realistic warranty beyond 90 days. i personally dont like the thought of a $120 device heading to the trash can if it breaks. if i break my vamo? so what it was 40 bucks total and im already into a month with it.

and a calendar?....... on my apv?........ really?........ i'm sure it will have a FB button soon too. real advanced vaping tech there...............

Last edited:

SABOTEUR

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2009
Baltimore MD USA
Just peeped in an noticed the comment relating to the Provari menu system. Couldn't help but add my 2 cents.

Given a list if all the things I might choose to complain about, the Provari menu system wouldn't even rate an "honorable mention". Perhaps I'm not a hardcore vaper but I do own a Provari and have been using it continually for close to a year. The ONLY thing I use the menu system for is to toggle voltage. For the most part, it's "set and forget".

Having been a vaper for over 3 years, and having owned a variety of (unreliable) e-cigarettes, I consider myself blessed to have stumbled upon a device that performs consistently that I can simply use without any fuss and bother. And even if I DID find the menu system annoying, I wouldn't waste undue energy complaining about it...I'd simply search for a device that better suited my temperament and vape preference.

With all due respect.

Last edited:

SethGrimm

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2012
Jacksonville Florida
Speaking on the subject of VW. I understand how it might be cool to say "I'm vaping at blah blah wattage". But what the "vw nazis" don't seem to consider is most vapers don't need or care for VW. I vape 2.4 ohms. I know my ohm, my voltage, my juice, etc so why do I need to know my wattage? I also have the ohm checker on the provari for when I want to get into rebuiladibles. A practice I'm not eager to get into now anyways. I think VW is "an in thing" that is far from revolutionary like the vw nazis claim. I just want vv, ohm checking, durability, an attractive device, and if a vw Provari comes out I will have zero desire to upgrade. I'm not in any way saying vw is useless. It just isn't essential.

Titanium

Moved On
Oct 19, 2012
As mentioned by others, it's comparing 2 different things, that can't really be compared. It's like comparing a nokia to an i-phone. Sure, the nokia is solid as a rock and can make phone calls just like any other phone, but the i-phone has all the bells and whistles. Or a 50 cal muzzle loader to a 30-30. A chihuahua and a german sheppard. TV dinners to all you can eat steak and shimp. Mad Dog 20-20 to smirnoff ice. A wife and a mistress....ok, I should stop there....
And now we have the Nokia Lumia N900.......

AnsonJames

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
IRELAND

And then you have the VW nazis who are convinced every mod that doesn't have VW is seriously out of date.

It goes both ways my friend.

Maybe it's the future for you but for the folks that use the same resistance on everything, it's nothing of the sort.

Last edited:

shadowseed

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2011
TX
Is the provai "a better vape" than an ego twist? For how I vape not really. I used a friend's provari for a few days and its definitely a workout. I had a darwin for about a year before I got rid of it. It was nice switching from a bigger device to small form factor once again (once the twists came out) I have had my eye on the itaste and evic though just for better battery life. Also, having to externally charge your batteries vs charging them USB seems like more of a hassle to me, more gear to be purchased, etc...

vsummer1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
California
Speaking on the subject of VW. I understand how it might be cool to say "I'm vaping at blah blah wattage". But what the "vw nazis" don't seem to consider is most vapers don't need or care for VW. I vape 2.4 ohms. I know my ohm, my voltage, my juice, etc so why do I need to know my wattage? I also have the ohm checker on the provari for when I want to get into rebuiladibles. A practice I'm not eager to get into now anyways. I think VW is "an in thing" that is far from revolutionary like the vw nazis claim. I just want vv, ohm checking, durability, an attractive device, and if a vw Provari comes out I will have zero desire to upgrade. I'm not in any way saying vw is useless. It just isn't essential.

I can totally agree with this, as it applies to your style of vaping. Once I got into the RBA's, the VV Gripper and the ProVari could check my ohms so I had my one plus my backup. But I am one of those who constantly am changing flavors and rotate through tanks throughout the day. Some carto, some RBA tanks. Having the Vamo makes this extremely easy for me. And for less than $30 delivered, I can now just keep one on the ProVari, one on the Gripper and switch around the others on the Vamo.

I can certainly see that if I was using SR boges in tanks this VW would be unnecessary. I just find it easier. I set it at 7 watts, and no problems. I don't think of myself as a nazi about it though. It certainly won't replace my reliable main PV, the ProVari, but I do enjoy the ease of use.

As for the eGo's, I still have 2 alive and do use them, but when they die they won't be replaced. I am giving new eGo's as gifts this year to the people who have expressed interest, making up a kit for them is inexpensive for me and a true gift for them. If they want to upgrade I will let them try all my boxes and tubes and help them figure out the best set up for THEM.

SABOTEUR

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2009
Baltimore MD USA
I have a Provari, but I didn't purchase it solely because of variable voltage or variable wattage or variable whatever. My reason is purely economic.

I began vaping 3 years, 9 months ago to save money. I could no longer justify spending $6.00 a day for a pack of cigarettes. Unfortunately, for at least 3 of those years I found myself repeatedly investing in ecigs that did not perform consistently. It annoyed the hell out of me that i would have to modify something newly purchased and the modification inevitably wasn't worth the effort. I finally decided to invest in what I hoped was a "quality" e-cig and be done with throwing my limited funds out of the window. As the Provari touted good word of mouth, I bit the bullet.

I regret I didn't have the courage to invest in a Provari sooner. I would have saved a whole HELL of a lotta money. Haven't had a problem with it yet.

As for the merits of variable voltage...I'll leave that discussion to the hobbyists and vape experts. I'm just glad the darn thing WORKS.

Last edited:

joeboy

ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2009
upstate new york
Obviously a Provari and an ego twist have 2 different target groups and design objectives . I own both and love both. My ego 1000mAh twist was my entry into VV which after vaping for 2 years with basic ego batteries, which were pretty much on their last breath, I had to do something and didnt want to spend a ton to see if all the VV stuff was worth it. Well..it was and is..for me anyways. Being able to control the voltage not only for the taste of juice but also because some attys/carto's etc just perform better at certain voltages. The twist performed well and continues to do so as its my on the go choice. Its shortcomings are easy to overlook considering its price, after all it did what it was supposed to do and didnt claim to do anything more or less. I did need more than one battery so I decided it was time to get a bigger VV mod. I initially looked at the Provari but wasnt willing to pay the price. Got an inexpensive mod and basically killed it in less than 2 months.It was inexpensive and I knew it wasnt going last forever, but I didnt think it would die that quick. Wasnt going to go down that road again and I also started getting into rebuildable attys so the need to check ohms accuratly became essential as well as having a mod that had a lot of built in protection. I got the Provari over others for several reasons, mainly because of the 1 year warranty(my cheap mod had a 48 hour warranty ) and the ability to have it repaired if I do manage to break it. Being made in the USA was also a factor to me, maybe not to you. I did a fair amount of research on them in the usual places by the usual people who have been reliable for that in the past. Im not a noobie to vaping or a fanboy for anyone. If it works I spread the word, if it dosent work for me I let it be known too. The Provari is made obsessively well in fit and finish ( it impressed even me and im a notorious nit pic ) ..performs excellent..is VERY accurate ... great battery life ...and gives me all the useful information I need. I once thought it was overpriced until I owned one and used it. Now I consider it a bargain. I dont collect these things and vaping isnt a hobby for me, so I dont need a collection of toys, but what I do need is something reliable and for that Provari's reputation is pretty much impeccable. Will it replace my ego Twist.. no.. I need something small and light for on the go and the Twist is perfect for that. The Provari dosent count puffs or tell you the time or charge your mp3 player, its not variable wattage or a lot of other things they can invent a PV to do for you. If those things matter to you then there are other mods out there for that, to me I could care less about such things. The only hype I'm interested in is reliability and basic, accurate functionality. Both the Twist and Provari give me that at different ends of the spending spectrum and to keep me off analogs I feel the need for both. Not one or the other.

Last edited:

SABOTEUR

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2009
Baltimore MD USA
Obviously a Provari and an ego twist have 2 different target groups and design objectives . I own both and love both. My ego 1000mAh twist was my entry into VV which after vaping for 2 years with basic ego batteries, which were pretty much on their last breath, I had to do something and didnt want to spend a ton to see if all the VV stuff was worth it. Well..it was and is..for me anyways. Being able to control the voltage not only for the taste of juice but also because some attys/carto's etc just perform better at certain voltages. The twist performed well and continues to do so as its my on the go choice. Its shortcomings are easy to overlook considering its price, after all it did what it was supposed to do and didnt claim to do anything more or less. I did need more than one battery so I decided it was time to get a bigger VV mod. I initially looked at the Provari but wasnt willing to pay the price. Got an inexpensive mod and basically killed it in less than 2 months.It was inexpensive and I knew it wasnt going last forever, but I didnt think it would die that quick. Wasnt going to go down that road again and I also started getting into rebuildable attys so the need to check ohms accuratly became essential as well as having a mod that had a lot of built in protection. I got the Provari over others for several reasons, mainly because of the 1 year warranty(my cheap mod had a 48 hour warranty ) and the ability to have it repaired if I do manage to break it. Being made in the USA was also a factor to me, maybe not to you. I did a fair amount of research on them in the usual places by the usual people who have been reliable for that in the past. Im not a noobie to vaping or a fanboy for anyone. If it works I spread the word, if it dosent work for me I let it be known too. The Provari is made obsessively well in fit and finish ( it impressed even me and im a notorious nit pic ) ..performs excellent..is VERY accurate ... great battery life ...and gives me all the useful information I need. I once thought it was overpriced until I owned one and used it. Now I consider it a bargain. I dont collect these things and vaping isnt a hobby for me, so I dont need a collection of toys, but what I do need is something reliable and for that Provari's reputation is pretty much impeccable. Will it replace my ego Twist.. no.. I need something small and light for on the go and the Twist is perfect for that. The Provari dosent count puffs or tell you the time or charge your mp3 player, its not variable wattage or a lot of other things they can invent a PV to do for you. If those things matter to you then there are other mods out there for that, to me I could care less about such things. The only hype I'm interested in is reliability and basic, accurate functionality. Both the Twist and Provari give me that at different ends of the spending spectrum and to keep me off analogs I feel the need for both. Not one or the other.

Well said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread