ProVarinati Diner & Saloon and Beyond

GeekyGeezer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Flyover Central
So, I was working 9 to 5 and paying no attention to music, other than my old favorites. My two boys loved Dire Straights. I never listened, except in the background when I was cooking or having a drink before dinner, so didn't pay any attention.
This song, now discovered many years later, is I think just phenomenal.

Mark Knopfler is on my top 5 list of best ever, maybe more than that. Sometimes you'll see him mentioned, but I usually don't see him highly rated which is a crime. I might be looking at the whole thing wrong - I don't care much if somebody is machine gun fast. It's every note being perfect (and whatever the player does to those notes) that make it for me. For instance, Carlos Santana - who plays lyrical, beautiful runs just like Knopfler does.

GeekyGeezer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Flyover Central
One of my favorites from him. No pyrotechnics, no thrash, just an expert with each note perfect sometimes bent, sometimes swooped into...

He never was a good singer, and he's a little worse on this one and doesn't enunciate very well. But considering it's a song about a grizzled veteran who made it home from a war - at the end of his days talking about the things he saw and experienced - I think it fits perfectly. IMO, it's worth a search for the lyrics since they are pretty good also.

It's a slow song and starts off very slowly - give it a chance to get started.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Mark Knopfler is on my top 5 list of best ever, maybe more than that. Sometimes you'll see him mentioned, but I usually don't see him highly rated which is a crime.

I couldn't agree more. Phenomenal guitarist and musician in every right.

Making Movies is one of the all-time favorite albums, and I could listen to Tunnel of Love over and over.

The video for it stinks so I'm posting this one instead. My own imagination does a much better job than their video.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
One of my favorites from him. No pyrotechnics, no thrash, just an expert with each note perfect sometimes bent, sometimes swooped into...

He never was a good singer, and he's a little worse on this one and doesn't enunciate very well. But considering it's a song about a grizzled veteran who made it home from a war - at the end of his days talking about the things he saw and experienced - I think it fits perfectly. IMO, it's worth a search for the lyrics since they are pretty good also.

It's a slow song and starts off very slowly - give it a chance to get started.

Another of my faves (no surprise). Contrary to the Tunnel of Love vid though, Brothers in Arms is one I've always liked a LOT.

Unfortunately, it cuts two minutes off the song, at the end, but I always thought it was excellent otherwise.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I couldn't agree more. Phenomenal guitarist and musician in every right.

Making Movies is one of the all-time favorite albums, and I could listen to Tunnel of Love over and over.

The video for it stinks so I'm posting this one instead. My own imagination does a much better job than their video.

42 year old song already. Where did it go?

newyork13

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2013
western Massachusetts
Mark Knopfler is on my top 5 list of best ever, maybe more than that. Sometimes you'll see him mentioned, but I usually don't see him highly rated which is a crime. I might be looking at the whole thing wrong - I don't care much if somebody is machine gun fast. It's every note being perfect (and whatever the player does to those notes) that make it for me. For instance, Carlos Santana - who plays lyrical, beautiful runs just like Knopfler does.
Absolutely agreed about that and Santana. I think some of Cream was good. But got so bored with Clapton and his machine gun.
And I love how Knopfler smiles when he's playing.
And how can I learn how to bounce up and down like those guys. LOL

gnees

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2014
Zephyrhills Fl.
Hello.......is this the right place? Seems different. New Home? Hello.....
giphy (1).gif

Users who are viewing this thread